Non Member question [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Non Member question

Mikeyboy
11-28-2007, 12:45
I am currently interested in joining a local Free Mason Lodge. Problem is I am Catholic. Actually I'm almost a non practicing catholic, I still believe in God and some christian teachings, its just the sex abuse scandals/coverups really turned me off to the Vatican and the Cardinals as a whole. I know the Catholic church frowns upon/excommunicates Catholics that become Masons, but my children still attend a catholic school and I want to raise them catholic.

So my question is can I join as a Catholic and can I keep my membership private, or at least from the church?

gunsablazin
11-28-2007, 13:55
Freemasonry is a fraternal organisation not a religion, your faith is your business as far as the lodge is concerned. If your church is opposed to the lodge and you are concerned for you childrens education if I were you I would give it some serious thought.If you joined the masonic lodge I suppose you could keep it a secret, but is it worth the risk to you? If you are interested in joining a fraternity the Catholic Church offers the Knights of Columbus you could join with out the worry of repercusions, ther are other community service clubs that do alot of good things in their communities, Lions club, Kiwanis etc. I don't presume to tell you what you should do, ultimately it is your decision alone as is the risk and rewards.

Good Luck,

Robin

mmsig229
11-28-2007, 16:56
I'm not sure about the new Pope, but tha Papal Bull against Freemasons ended years ago. Our sectretary is Catholic, and a PastMaster. I'd be more fearful about a church that stifiled freethinking than any fraternal organization.

JayPap
11-29-2007, 08:17
I'm Catholic and a Mason, When I joined I was told by the Lodge to check with my Church for conflicts.

I don't like anyone telling me what I can or cannot due . So I went to my Church and spoke with my Priest, and asked if I should leave the Church because I was joining the Masons.

He told me I could belong to both and explained to me the problems dating back to the 1400's . I know three others from my Lodge now that are very involved in my parish.

I have met many Catholics now from other areas who are Masons, the Masons hold no prejudice as to anyone's faith.

Your Priest may have different views this is between you and him. It won't be a problem with the Lodge.

Catholics and the Masons problems date back to King Phillip of France, and Pope Leo. I was never really a fan of either of these guys politics or results.

The bottom line is the Masons due a tremendous amount of good charitable work and I'm am proud to be a part of it.

Mikeyboy
11-29-2007, 08:37
Thanks guys, that clears up a lot of my concerns.

Ghost361
11-29-2007, 16:04
I am a Catholic and a Mason. There is zero conflict between my religious beliefs and my membership as a Mason.

grecco
12-03-2007, 14:25
I am Catholic and a Mason.
As previously stated, its a not a religion.

Glocker
12-31-2007, 22:08
I am the Grand Knight for our local Knights of Columbus Council, and we have a great working relationship with the local Masons. Our 4th Degree Assembly is trying to put together a Mason/Knights Ball in the coming year.

Brian

Duncan223
01-05-2008, 17:32
I'm a Catholic and a Mason - Past Master as well!!

There is no conflict between the two.

DriBak
01-06-2008, 22:03
Good info