PDA

View Full Version : All Around Shotgun

Schnek
05-09-2002, 02:51
Right now I have a Remington 870 Express Turkey Model
(20 inch barrel) and a Hastings rifled cantilever
scope mount barrel. I historically have done pretty
good with pumps, but within the last 5 years or so I
have developed the nasty habit of short shucking.
This really gets on my nerves and does nothing to
boost my confidence.

I would like to purchase a 12 gauge auto loader to be
used for hunting Upland Bird, Wild Turkey and
Whitetail Deer. Also I would like to shoot casual
clay targets and use the gun for home defense if
necessary and possibly IDPA shotgun events.

I am thinking about getting an autoloader with a 26
inch barrel and a synthetic stock. I would like to be
able to shoot 2/34 or 3 inch shells. I would also
like to be able to get a rifled cantilever scope mount
barrel for it. I would like for the gun to have a 4 +
1 ammo capacity while ideally being able to accept a
magazine extender if needed (why yes, I am an
American). Also I would like the barrel to have a
mid-bead (I could have this added).

So far I am looking at the Remington 11-87 SPS,
Benelli M1 Super 90, Browning Gold Stalker, & Berretta
AL391.

From what I have heard the gas operated autos are
smoother but not as maintenance free as the recoil
operated action of the Benelli. So far I think that
the 11-87 and the Benelli M1 Super90 meet my criteria
the best. The Benelli from what I know only holds 3
in the magazine but can be extended. The Beretta
AL391 only holds 2 in the magazine from what I have
heard. As far as I know nobody makes a magazine
extender for the Brownings. Also the 11-87 is heavier
which could be a draw back. I like the feel of the
Benneli but have not shot one. I have not shot the
11-87 either but have shot 1100s before.

So you can see that I have a variety of uses for my
shotgun. So far I am leaning towards the Remington
11-87 or the Benelli M1 super 90.

I was wondering what you all thought about the subject and
if you could suggest a shotgun to fit my needs?

Also does anyone have a camo synthetic gun? Is it worth the $100 extra cost for this feature?

Michigun
05-09-2002, 04:59
Get the Beretta!

I've put several 100 rounds through my Beretta's gas system without cleaning & have had zero problems. It's a very good, reliable & simple system.

My 390 holds 3+1 of either 2-3/4" or 3", I'm positive that the 391 is the same way, you just have to take out the "shell plug".

Note: You need to keep the "shell plug" for water fowl hunting.

badbilly429
05-09-2002, 05:44
benelli super black eagle

duncan
05-09-2002, 12:16
I'd like to know too!

tjpet
05-09-2002, 12:54
It's going to be tough to beat the 1100/11-87 family for a general purpose autoloader. Browning Gold and Beretta 390/391 are good choices, too. Benelli makes good autos which cycle fast but the non-gas autos are like shooting a pumpgun when it comes to recoil. Maintaining any of the autos, gas or recoil operated, is not difficult with some designs being easier to work with then others. Pretty much comes down to what you like and what the pocketbook dictates.

Glock You!
05-09-2002, 14:30
I have an 11-87 SPS and LOVE IT!! Mine is in the black synthetic stock. I have a 26" shot barrel which I have used for Pheasants, ducks & geese and wild turkey. I also have the cantilever rifled deer barrel with a ProPoint CMP3 red dot scope. Have taken many deer with this gun, including the one pictured in another thread on this forum. I love the versitility and dependability of this gun, it is nearly impervious to the elements, kinda reminds me of my Glock.;f

I don't think that a camouflage finish is worth an extra hundred bucks. I've had my 11-87 for five or six years and have yet to have an animal spy my all black shotgun and bolt.

I have to admit that the only drawback I have seen in the 11-87 is that it is a little heavy. I'm a big guy and it doesn't bother me at all to carry it all day long in the field but it might get heavy for a woman or smaller man. I do like the Benelli and don't think you can go wrong if you choose to go that way either. The weight difference isn't much (8.1 vs. 7.3lbs.) but the Benelli is lighter. The action is a little smoother on the Benelli also but I have fired HUNDREDS of rounds through my 11-87 and have never experienced a problem.

Price may be the determining factor here, the Benelli is definitely going to cost you more money. MSRP on the Benelli is about $400 more than the 11-87. For that money you can get your second barrell and a scope.

If money isn't an issue then spring for the Benelli but if it is buy the 11-87 and you won't be disappointed!!:)

DWavs
05-09-2002, 16:13
I have the Remington 11-87 SPSC...awesome shotgun.

Schnek
05-10-2002, 16:08
Thanks for all of the recommendations guys.
As far as I know Beretta does not make a rifled cantilever barrel although Hastings may make one to fit it. Also I really think that I would miss the 4 plus one capacity of my Remington 870 which the Beretta does not have. Plus the magazine can not be extended on the Beretta. I also do not like the location of the safety on this gun, it is in the front of the trigger guard instead of to the rear of the trigger guard.

The Browning seems pretty good but as far as I know, no one makes a magazine extender for it and the cantilever scope mount barrels are more expensive than the Remington.

The Benelli seems pretty good. I hear that it is very quick and reliable. The M1 Super 90 only holds 4 plus one but the magazine can be extended. Also the Benelli does not have a cantilever scope mount barrel.

The Remington 11-87 seems like it might fit my needs the best. I like the fact that it has the mid bead barrel and non glare finish. It is a little heavier than the competition, but very light recoiling from what I am told. It also has a lot of accessories available. I would not use the magazine extender very often, but it would be a nice accessory to have on occasion.

I would like to have one very good shotgun that would do most anything that I would want it to. Again thanks for the replies. If anyone has any further comments, keep them coming.

05-11-2002, 12:36
Originally posted by badbilly429
benelli super black eagle

The feel of this Shotgun is unreal. I love my SBE in camo.
Everybody that shoulders this gun says the realy like the way the gun comes up .

vettman1
05-12-2002, 05:35
[i]
The Browning seems pretty good but as far as I know, no one makes a magazine extender for it and the cantilever scope mount barrels are more expensive than the Remington.

The Benelli seems pretty good. I hear that it is very quick and reliable. The M1 Super 90 only holds 4 plus one but the magazine can be extended. Also the Benelli does not have a cantilever scope mount barrel.

The Remington 11-87 seems like it might fit my needs the best. I like the fact that it has the mid bead barrel and non glare finish. It is a little heavier than the competition, but very light recoiling from what I am told. It also has a lot of accessories available. I would not use the magazine extender very often, but it would be a nice accessory to have on occasion.

I would like to have one very good shotgun that would do most anything that I would want it to. Again thanks for the replies. If anyone has any further comments, keep them coming. [/B]

I have a Browning Gold Stalker Classic with a 26" barrel and a cantilever scope mount barrel. I have to be honest... I think that this gun is awesome! I have never had any problem with it, plus it is very easy to clean and take care of.

If you think that the Browning deer barrels are expensive... try the Benelli!

The 11-87 is a good gun, something that you probably will be happy with. It is the only one that meets all your criteria. The extended mag wasn't one of my requirements so I went with the Browning. I've never needed more than 5 rounds when deer hunting... BTW Browning had a $100 mail in rebate on their Gold series right now. They go for about $650-$700 in my area without the deer barrel.

Have fun shopping!

DAVEKO
05-12-2002, 10:26
11-87 28", I got mine in left hand.....I've shot everyone of those your talking about. I was in competitive sporting clays on the East Cost for several years. The Browning is ok also. These are the only two I would recommend from your list. They are both reliable and durable and hold up well with diff. ammo loads. I am not going to get rid of my 870 either, it has won some shoots with a 26" barrel.....
If you want some work done on the barrel and chokes I know a good place here in Arkansas if your interested, they do great custom work and have ported several firearms for me, including but not limited to my Winchester mod 70 med contour 26" bl. in 7mmstw, Ruger Red Label over and under along with special choke tubes.....etc.... ;f If I had to pick one it would be the 11-87......

TJC
05-12-2002, 11:33
Another vote for the 11-87 in synthetic stocks with matte finish. If you get different barrels, you can do anything you want to do. I use a cantilever barrel with a Leupold 2-7 scope for deer hunting from a stand, a fully rifled barrel with rifle sights for driving, and a 21" vent rib for anything else. Anything can be a SD shotgun, turkey hunting etc.
You just can't beat the 11-87 for all around.

Schnek
05-13-2002, 02:51
To quote TJC "I use a cantilever barrel with a Leupold 2-7 scope for deer hunting from a stand, a fully rifled barrel with rifle sights for driving, and a 21" vent rib for anything else."

TJC that sound like a lot of flexibility. I would recommend using your scoped rifled slug barrel for deer drives as well, only turning it down to 2 power. I find that low power and zero power scopes are pretty good for quick shooting.

Glocks-n-Ducks
05-13-2002, 07:31
I have owned a Beretta AL390 Silver Mallard (semi auto)in synthetic for 5 plus years. I've used it for geese, ducks, upland, sporting clays, skeet, turkey, crow. Out of all those years, never once did it jam up due to a gun malfunction. Heat, cold, whatever it will take it. I've also used it as a crutch, an oar and a wading stick. I just had it semi-retired and replaced it with a Beretta A391 3.5 Xtrema. There are many good guns out there but for my money the Beretta has it hands down. Just my opinion.

AZGlock21
05-19-2002, 09:59
I have a number of shotguns in most gauges (10,12,20,28,16 and .410) in pump, semi auto, and O/U. My favorite is the Beretta 682 gold sporting O/U and Beretta A390. But hands down if I could only own one shotgun to cover all bases it would be a Benelli Super Black Eagle with 28" tube and 3.5 chamber. This gun is a dream to shoot, clean, and carry. The action is amazingly simple and complete takedown is so easy I can even do it. The price tag is a little steap but worth it. If you can't handle the $1000.00 go for a A390.

MrMurphy
05-19-2002, 13:53
Winchester Super X2 Practical. 22" barrel, cantilever sight base, 8-shot magazine (unless you plug it for hunting) and interchangeable chokes. Low recoil, good shooter from what I hear.

smeet5150
05-20-2002, 15:16
if ya got the $$$$$$ get the Benelli. superb auto scattergun.