CC Friendly Resturants - AZ [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : CC Friendly Resturants - AZ

AZG30guy
11-29-2007, 22:09
Howdy All,

I'm looking for chain restaurants in AZ, that don't serve alcohol. I know of Village Inn and Cracker Barrel. I'm looking for better places to take the wife.

Here in Tucson there have been a string of armed robberies taking place outside of restaurants. Mostly people gabbing instead of paying attention to surroundings. My wife is short, petite and disabled which makes her a prime target. I'm going to CC.

We do make it to Phoenix so please chime in on places up there.

Is there even such a thing as a Mexican restaurant that does not serve alcohol?

Thanks

Here is a list of places we have come up with:

General National Chain Restaurants
The Village Inn
The Good Egg
The Eggery
Cracker Barrel

Sierra Vista
Ivy's Home Cooking – Sierra Vista
Golden Corral

General Phoenix Area
Baja Fresh http://www.bajafresh.com/temp.htm
Deer Valley Airport Restaurant
Some Burros http://someburros.com/

Daryl in Az
11-30-2007, 09:20
Is there even such a thing as a Mexican restaurant that does not serve alcohol?

Taco Bell? *grin* I know, that's not really Mexican food. ;)

Tough question. I'm in Sierra Vista, and the choices are limited as far as nice restaurants, much less ones that don't serve alcohol. I don't worry too much though, because my wife's a really good cook.

I'll have to think about this one some.

Daryl

justaguy
11-30-2007, 15:02
Deleted

zzzarkt
11-30-2007, 18:34
IHOP comes to mind, but for decent mexican food you are out of luck. There are a couple drive through places on the west side, (on Campbell specifically) that are pretty good, but no dine-in places I can think of.

Here's hoping next year we can finally get a sensible law passed that will put this "no carry where alchohol is served" nonsense to bed.

MooseJaw
11-30-2007, 19:15
The Eggery, and the Good Egg, are great for Breakfast & Lunch..

Einstein Bagels..

Subway..

Otherwise, you're pretty much S.O.L. :dunno:

jaws48
11-30-2007, 19:18
Agree with zzzarkt! We need a more sensible law!

One of my favorite places (Richardson's) for New Mexican style is not in an area where I care to be disarmed at night but I do. I worry more about car break-in than a personal attack but I use a car safe, car alarm, etc but still not comfortable!

MooseJaw
11-30-2007, 20:02
Does anybody know a nice place where the Maitre D' will check your weapon?

Is that even legal?

AZG30guy
11-30-2007, 20:48
Guys, Thanks for the responses.

I guess I should have defined resturants are places with metal silver ware and no drive thru. We're pretty well covered in drive thru senario's. Always a gun or two in the vehicles.

I noticed one thing about the responses, except for Cracker Barrel, all non alcohol resturants are breakfast places.

I'm on board with the opinion that the law just has to go.

Thanks again for your input. I guess it's Omlettes and Cracker Barrel meatloaf until the law changes.

Lone_Wolfe
11-30-2007, 21:24
I live in Sierra Vista and travel to Tucson and Phoenix frequently so I'm watching this thread for suggestions. The selection here of restaurants the don't serve beer in about non-existant.

jaws48
12-03-2007, 18:37
I have searched my feeble memory and came up with one more "restaurant" that serves B/L/D that does not serve alcohol...Deer Valley Airport Restaurant. No valet parking or white table linen but decent American food.

AZG30guy
12-03-2007, 20:20
I live in Sierra Vista and travel to Tucson and Phoenix frequently so I'm watching this thread for suggestions. The selection here of restaurants the don't serve beer in about non-existant.

I remember being down in SV for a funeral. There was a Dinner, kind of a 50's motif. It was buy the fire station, I think. I don't remember alcohol on that menu. I might be wrong.

Daryl in Az
12-04-2007, 12:57
I remember being down in SV for a funeral. There was a Dinner, kind of a 50's motif. It was buy the fire station, I think. I don't remember alcohol on that menu. I might be wrong.

Yep. It was called "The Diner", on Hwy 92 just south of Buffalo Soldier Trail. The fire station at this end of town is a little farther south, on Yaqui.

It closed some time back. They had pretty decent food too!

They're now putting in a "Texas Road House" restaurant by the mall, and I've heard rumors about an Olive Garden going in somewhere. TRH will most likely serve alcohol, but not sure about Olive Garden.

For breakfast here, I like Cafe Ole in the Haymore Plaza, and I don't think they serve alcohol. There's also an oriental place in by Wal-Mart that's good for lunch, but I'm not sure if they serve or not. I don't think they do, but I haven't asked.

The sad part is that I don't even drink, but can't carry in places that serve alcohol.

Daryl

Lone_Wolfe
12-06-2007, 21:12
Olive Garden's all serve wine.
Slim pickins on booze free eating here. Really about the only thing I don't like about the area.

Daryl in Az
12-07-2007, 03:59
Olive Garden's all serve wine.
Slim pickins on booze free eating here. Really about the only thing I don't like about the area.

Yeah, but from the posts, the same thing exists elsewhere in the state.

I grew up here, and SV has it's quirks, for sure, but I like it.

Lone_Wolfe
12-07-2007, 20:59
Yeah, but from the posts, the same thing exists elsewhere in the state.

I grew up here, and SV has it's quirks, for sure, but I like it.

I've decided I like it too. In fact just today I accepted a civilian job here and rented an apartment so I'll be sticking around.

akapennypincher
12-09-2007, 18:21
Buger King

AZGlock13
12-13-2007, 21:52
I hear what everyone is saying (I agree completely). I live in S.V. and in the same boat. I have my AZ CCW and it just burns me up that I can't go out with my wife and sit down in a nice restaurant and legally conceal carry (However, I comply as most CCW holders do and leave my pistol either at home in the safe, or lock it up in my car safe, which I have one in each vehicle, but I sure am not very happy about it I can tell you (just like the rest of you are upset about this whole issue)). Yep, about the only restaurants that don't have a beer/wine license is your fast food joints and breakfast places. The only evening place I found, that is not considered fast food, in Sierra Vista, is the Golden Corral on south highway 92 (just north of Foothills Dr.).

Daryl in Az, The Oriental Buffet and Grill, in the Walmart plaza parking lot area, which you are talking about, does serve alcohol (beer). I have never seen anyone in there drink a beer (only tea, coffee and sodas), but they have beer Neon signs on the wall (Budwieser, Miller, etc.) and one time I finally figured I ask one of the waiters what kind of beers they have (I don't drink either, I only asked to confirm if they serve alcohol or not) and sure enough he rattled off the usual selection (Budwister, Coors, Miller, etc.). I'm assuming The New China Buffet, down by the main gate area of Ft. Huachuca on Fry Blvd., also serves beer as well due to I'm pretty sure it is owned by the same people as The Oriential Buffet and Grill. I really like Sierra Vista a lot (I have been down here since 1990), even though I was born and raised up in Tucson.:supergrin:

As far as the law being changed any time soon, so CCW holders will be allowed to carry in places like restaurants that serve alcohol, I'm not holding my breath. I believe as long as we have the governor we do, Napolitano is not up for re-election until 2010 I believe, this type of legislation if/when passed, which has a fairly good chance of passing (IMHO), will just end up being vetoed by her in the end (I really do hope I'm wrong though).

Lone_Wolfe
12-14-2007, 10:06
AZGlock13 is right, New China Buffet does serve beer. So that leaves us the Golden Trough here in S. V.

We need a law like the one Virginia has about carrying in places that sell alcohol.

akapennypincher
12-14-2007, 18:06
Sonic the bad berger joint:wow:

Daryl in Az
12-15-2007, 10:21
Sonic the bad berger joint:wow:

Sonic isn't all that bad as far as fast food goes, and you can carry there. There was quite a shootout between a CCSO officer and an armed robber there about a year ago.

I've ridden with CCSO several times, but I'm glad I wasn't in that vehicle when the guy blew the windshield out of it. Anyone heard what happened to his accomplice who was charged with murder for his death?

My wife and I have stopped going to Golden Corral here lately. Their prices have gotten as high as some of the quality restaurants, and the food isn't that great. It's ok of you're really hungry and/or in a hurry, but it really doesn't even have a quality environment.

You can't carry there, since it's a sports bar, but my wife's really gotten fond of Buffalo Wild Wings. She makes up some pretty good stuff from the sauces they sell. ;)

Daryl

Cryptoboy
12-31-2007, 11:24
It would be nice if they'd pass a law that made sense. I think it should be more like a DUI law (or CUI law, Carrying Under the Influence!) It would make life simpler, and that way you could still carry while eating at Chili's and such (I don't know many people that drink and carry, especially on their person).

dwh79
01-01-2008, 22:27
Back here in Indiana we don't have crazy laws like that and it is very bothersome when I fly out to AZ and then can not carry when I go out to eat for the most part. Living in a hotel you don't want fast food all of the time and its nice to have a beer or two with dinner as well. If I move out there for a year or so I will deffinetly have some rules to get used to. I believe that TN is the same about position where alcohol is served.

USMC1369
01-01-2008, 23:42
I hear what everyone is saying (I agree completely). I live in S.V. and in the same boat. I have my AZ CCW and it just burns me up that I can't go out with my wife and sit down in a nice restaurant and legally conceal carry (However, I comply as most CCW holders do and leave my pistol either at home in the safe, or lock it up in my car safe, which I have one in each vehicle, but I sure am not very happy about it I can tell you (just like the rest of you are upset about this whole issue)). Yep, about the only restaurants that don't have a beer/wine license is your fast food joints and breakfast places. The only evening place I found, that is not considered fast food, in Sierra Vista, is the Golden Corral on south highway 92 (just north of Foothills Dr.).

Daryl in Az, The Oriental Buffet and Grill, in the Walmart plaza parking lot area, which you are talking about, does serve alcohol (beer). I have never seen anyone in there drink a beer (only tea, coffee and sodas), but they have beer Neon signs on the wall (Budwieser, Miller, etc.) and one time I finally figured I ask one of the waiters what kind of beers they have (I don't drink either, I only asked to confirm if they serve alcohol or not) and sure enough he rattled off the usual selection (Budwister, Coors, Miller, etc.). I'm assuming The New China Buffet, down by the main gate area of Ft. Huachuca on Fry Blvd., also serves beer as well due to I'm pretty sure it is owned by the same people as The Oriential Buffet and Grill. I really like Sierra Vista a lot (I have been down here since 1990), even though I was born and raised up in Tucson.:supergrin:

As far as the law being changed any time soon, so CCW holders will be allowed to carry in places like restaurants that serve alcohol, I'm not holding my breath. I believe as long as we have the governor we do, Napolitano is not up for re-election until 2010 I believe, this type of legislation if/when passed, which has a fairly good chance of passing (IMHO), will just end up being vetoed by her in the end (I really do hope I'm wrong though).

Just out of curiosity here;

does anyone else think that the 2nd Amendment is covered as a Federal
Issue and the 10th amendment

(The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.)

says that state governors have NO say so over CCW and the like? I'm originally from NJ and that place is 4ever screwed because of an over eager/liberal governor. (kinda like Napalito is)

ChukGlk19
01-31-2008, 22:46
I'll be honest I used to work for an Applebee's in the northwest valley. A lady and her kids came in, the lady was armed. I asked my manager about it and they were fine with it. It was not concealed and she was not LE. I'm not suggesting you do this. Though if you are going to be in the NW valley shoot me a mail. There are many good places to eat on this side of town that do not serve alcohol.

Daryl in Az
02-06-2008, 15:22
I'll be honest I used to work for an Applebee's in the northwest valley. A lady and her kids came in, the lady was armed. I asked my manager about it and they were fine with it. It was not concealed and she was not LE. I'm not suggesting you do this. Though if you are going to be in the NW valley shoot me a mail. There are many good places to eat on this side of town that do not serve alcohol.

Seriously, according to the law, it doesn't matter if it's ok with the manager or not. If they enter an establishment that serves alcohol for consumption on the premisis while armed, they're breaking the law.

Which may not matter, as long as no one turns them in. One person with a cell phone though, or an LEO who sees them, can cause problems for them.

I understand there's another attempt to "fix" the problem with restaurant carry now, and hopefully it'll pass and actually help.

Daryl

Matthew26
02-16-2008, 16:08
I understand there's another attempt to "fix" the problem with restaurant carry now, and hopefully it'll pass and actually help.

Daryl

Will Napolitano veto it again? Now that I am in Texas (still have my AZ CCW), I have to admit, i like the sensible carry laws when it comes to restaurants.

shooting4fun
03-11-2008, 22:46
Howdy All, especially those in SV AZ,

One other place to consider for breakfast, lunch, and diner is “Ivy's Home Cooking”. This is right in the middle of town. It used to be Los Naranjos. Located on Fry Blvd, just west of Checker Auto. No alcohol and food is pretty good. A nice alternative since the Dinner closed.

See you all out at the SV range sometime. < This Sunday morning is the SV steel fun shoot >

Just look for the guy in the funny hat with the Glock!

Cheers!

MR. Fantastic
04-14-2008, 22:05
Baja Fresh is a good mexican place that does not serve alcohol. The food is much better than the berto's drive through types but not as formal as Garcias or Manuels. They do have plastic utensils but the food is just a good as your favorite place that serves magaritas or Tecate.

Lone_Wolfe
04-14-2008, 22:08
Baja Fresh is a good mexican place that does not serve alcohol. The food is much better than the berto's drive through types but not as formal as Garcias or Manuels. They do have plastic utensils but the food is just a good as your favorite place that serves magaritas or Tecate.

So where is it?

shooting4fun, thanks for the tip. Come say Hi to me at the SV range sometime. You'll see a P99 with a long-haired female attached and way too many guns on the table. :wavey:

shooting4fun
04-15-2008, 22:42
Howdy Lone_Wolfe, and et al.,

That was a pressing question for me too! Where are these Baja Fresh locations, well...:

http://www.bajafresh.com/temp.htm

I'll have to have a go at them when I'm up in PHX for some reason or another.

Lone_Wolfe, thanks for the invitation. I'll look for you out there! Always good to know another sport shooter. Interesting you are the first person I have talked with that has a p99. I'd be interested in knowing your first hand impressions regarding it.

I should be out there this coming Sunday morning for the steel handgun shoot at 9a, then I'll probably swing over to the public range side for a few extra rounds after the match. I'll look for ya while I'm out there.

Be well!

LongArmedDevil
04-19-2008, 22:44
Hey guys,

Another decent place for Mexican food is Some Burros. They have locations in Chandler, Tempe, Gilbert and San Tan. Here is a link to their web page http://someburros.com/

The one we go to in Chandler has No signs posted prohibiting firearms. The food is good and it is good place to take the kids.

Also YC's Mongolian does not serve alcohol.

Stay safe

DebraF
04-26-2008, 19:37
Hey guys,

Another decent place for Mexican food is Some Burros. They have locations in Chandler, Tempe, Gilbert and San Tan. Here is a link to their web page http://someburros.com/

The one we go to in Chandler has No signs posted prohibiting firearms. The food is good and it is good place to take the kids.

Also YC's Mongolian does not serve alcohol.

Stay safe

YC's sells alcohol at the Elliot Rd. location. It is really difficult to find a "alcohol free" zone type restaurant. And just try to find a pizza place that doesn't serve...sheesh

Stay Safe,
Debra F.

snowman3
05-02-2008, 00:45
Hmmm, I was going to suggest Hong Kong Buffet here in Phoenix, then I remembered they do have a bar area. So that leaves the "generic" places like chinese buffet or hometown buffet.

Any reason it has to be a chain restaurant? I would think there are several mom/pop Thai or Indian places that don't serve alcohol.

But yeah, overall there aren't many places that you can't buy a brewski. I do enjoy a Red Robin or Fudruckers burger with a cold one.

-Kevin