My son the marine gets caught with a KaBar in his dorm room [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : My son the marine gets caught with a KaBar in his dorm room

jer9vs2324
11-30-2007, 08:08
Maybe I'm doing a little venting. Mt son is in the marine reserves, did a tour of duty in Iraq and just got back to the states last spring. He enrolled at Bowling Green State University in Ohio. He had a little display in his dorm room of Iraq memorabilia (including his KaBar). The school asks the students to sign a document giving permission to the school to inspect rooms during Thanskgiving break to inspect the rooms for things like fire safety, etc. (sure). Anyway, they got in my son's room during Thanksgiving break, saw his KaBar, called the police to search his room and they confiscated his KaBar and Leatherman multi tool. He now has to appeard before the school disciplinary board for his "offense". The worse that could happen is him getting kicked out of school, the best would be a "warning". Somewhere in the middle is being put on probation which would kill his chance of being Resident Advisor (which he applied for to help with housing expenses). Fortunately his floor RA is standing by him and is testifying that my son is one of the best residences he has. Yeah I know he was careless in having a KaBar in his room and letting the school have access to his room during Thanksgiving. I'm just a little ticked at the heavy hand being demonstrated by the school.

deadday
11-30-2007, 15:21
Posting in 3 different rooms is 'a little venting'?

drew

D4RWlN
11-30-2007, 21:14
I was an active duty marine not long a go and I'm here to tell you that you can't even have a KBar in the barracks. They usually get over looked because c'mon Marine + KBar = Tradition, but it is against regs and have seen the confiscated. Anyways, my point is the word is full of stupid a-- rules. But yeeah, Leaving a Kbar out on display somewhere that its against the regs is not bright. Many of us had plaques with Kbars given to us by our units/ plattoons and still couldn't have them displayed with the Kbar in it. Regardless, I hope he gets off.

deadday
11-30-2007, 22:53
Want to hear assinine? I had a plaque from my last unit with a small (maybe 5-6" no way to remove it from the plaque without ruining the plaque, and probably breaking the tomahawk) tomahawk over the Cav flag, etc. etc. Given to me by the CO, removed from my barracks by the Plt. Sgt.

drew

THELimey
12-01-2007, 11:26
Its BS we can all agree but "Situational Awareness" applies. When i was in the service there was a great many asanine rules. The civilian world has much the same per capita quota.

humanguerrilla
12-01-2007, 11:40
KA-BAR and leatherman...that's pretty silly and I bet chefs knives aren't an issue. I ran cross country and lived in athletes apartments in college. I roomed with baseball guys and the dumbass RAs made a big thing about bats and dumbbells before athletics and the dean of students put them in their place.

Line Rider
02-18-2010, 16:08
jer9vs2324 what ever happen?

johns9761
02-18-2010, 22:37
I had my Ka-Bar taken from me when I lived in the barracks in Ft. Benning. It was supposedly locked up in the supply room. When I went home for a 4 day, I requested to have it returned to me so I could take it home for safe keeping...

...wouldn't ya' know...the damn thing mysteriously came up "missing".

Damn the world and it's dumb ass rules!

Javelin
02-18-2010, 22:43
A 13" chrome steel metric wrench would make a better weapon IMO and I bet they are not banned.

Notrega
02-18-2010, 23:03
Tagged to get the ending - I remember this when it first came through

Max1775
02-18-2010, 23:10
Sad it has come down to people being afraid of college kids with knives when the world is full of extremists with arsenals... On the other side of the coin, you still gotta play by the rules if you want to stay on their field.

John NYPD
02-28-2010, 19:14
Next time he will hide his knife as good as he hid his M9.:cool:

Lesson learned...Wear it as a badge of Honor.

Thank your son for his service to our Country.

John

walkin' trails
03-02-2010, 16:38
Lesson learned...Wear it as a badge of Honor.

Thank your son for his service to our Country.

John

I agree! A U.S. Vet who served honorably should not have his chances to pursue higher education and career trashed because of something so stupid on the part of school administration. As long as he was striving to meet or exceed the honor and academic standards of the university, he should not be in that situation.

Although it would be amusing if a long-lense camera got trained on the seedy park where school administrators meet after hours....I'd suggest that he find some other vets who have little use for the junior hi no tolerance garbage of student residence halls and get an apartment or rent a house near campus. Even better, have any returning vets going after their educations ever thought about creating a veterens-only residence hall facility?

myesque
03-04-2010, 19:58
BGSU sucks.... Just fyi.

My wife went there and everyone of the admins has a sock over their brains. :faint:

lbckid19
03-04-2010, 20:08
rules are rules, he brought a deadly weapon on campus, However I bet he had no intent on using it and i hope the school shows leiniency. You just dont know whos gunna do what these days. It is the job of the administration to remain sceptical and enforce policy equally, no exceptions

25pd
03-04-2010, 20:25
Semper fi !!!!!!!!!! & good luck in school after you win your case and don't
forget to get the k-bar back into your possessiopn...

wrenrj1
03-04-2010, 20:30
Tell em it was mine...I'm a retired ARNG guy, come after me, I'll support my swabbys with funny hats, and the guts to use the KaBar the way it was intended.

snair
03-04-2010, 20:36
rules are rules, he brought a deadly weapon on campus, However I bet he had no intent on using it and i hope the school shows leiniency. You just dont know whos gunna do what these days. It is the job of the administration to remain sceptical and enforce policy equally, no exceptions:chatter:

Brian Lee
03-04-2010, 20:37
I remember the days when a middle school teacher would borrow a pocket knife from a 12 year old student - in class - and then give it right back without anyone batting an eye. And then I read threads like this, and I mourn my countries total loss of common sense.

A marine can be trusted with guns and grenades through all kinds of difficult duties when fighting for our country, but at home, he isn't trusted with a knife. The liberal fruit cake who invented that concept should be ashamed.

:faint:

Summit
03-04-2010, 20:40
KA-BAR and leatherman...that's pretty silly and I bet chefs knives aren't an issue. I ran cross country and lived in athletes apartments in college. I roomed with baseball guys and the dumbass RAs made a big thing about bats and dumbbells before athletics and the dean of students put them in their place.

+1 on the chef knife

snair
03-04-2010, 20:41
I remember the days when a middle school teacher would borrow a pocket knife from a 12 year old student - in class - and then give it right back without anyone batting an eye. And then I read threads like this, and I mourn my countries total loss of common sense.

A marine can be trusted with guns and grenades through all kinds of difficult duties when fighting for our country, but at home, he isn't trusted with a knife. The liberal fruit cake who invented that concept should be ashamed.

:faint:thank you.

bean66
03-04-2010, 20:53

AMEN.

Send the liberal fruit cake to the front lines in Afganistan with the confiscated KaBar.

lbckid19
03-04-2010, 21:07
AMEN.

Send the liberal fruit cake to the front lines in Afganistan with the confiscated KaBar.

what happened at fort hood again? i forgot

Rebel_James
03-04-2010, 21:49

+1. And I guess I'm gonna get the death penalty for carrying my M1 Carbine to elementary school for history class back in the early '60's. Slung it over my shoulder, walked to school, put it in the principal's office till time to show it in class ... slung it when school was out and walked home.

Fred Hansen
03-04-2010, 21:57
he brought a deadly weapon on campusAs did everyone who has ever brought a baseball bat, a pen/pencil, golf club, scarf, frying pan, vehicle of any kind, glass bottle, sharp stick, dull stick, rock, leather belt, cloth belt, jump rope, lacrosse stick, motorcycle helmet, etc. on campus. :upeyes:

I know that sheeple dream of a Utopia made of Nerf™, but reality pays little heed to the dreams of sheeple. Those of us who could easily snap the pencil-necks of said sheeple (were it not for our generally peaceful live/let live nature) are quite frankly sick and tired of the sheeples' incessant need to bleat. If the human race is to survive, we need to stop paying heed to the weakest--both in mind and body--among us.

Sheeple themselves would be better served in abandoning their absurd and epically failed rules, and perhaps adopting a policy of thanking almighty God each and every day for being blessed enough to live in a country defended by such a fine young man as the OP's son. Having done so, they should then feel free to crawl back under their collectivist rock. After all, if the rest of us needed any more **** from them, we could simply squeeze it out of their otherwise useless microcephalic heads.

Fred Hansen
03-04-2010, 22:26
what happened at fort hood again? i forgotA moose-slime Palestinian death-cult psychotic--with known ties to well known terrorist masters--was allowed to not only remain in our Army, but also be able to gun down our UNARMED soldiers while taking Islam to its only logical conclusion.

Once again that situation occurred only because those of us who know better allowed the most pathetic among us to prevail in their quest to destroy the human race. We need to stop making that mistake.

KappaAlphaASU
03-04-2010, 22:42
As did everyone who has ever brought a baseball bat, a pen/pencil, golf club, scarf, frying pan, vehicle of any kind, glass bottle, sharp stick, dull stick, rock, leather belt, cloth belt, jump rope, lacrosse stick, motorcycle helmet, etc. on campus. :upeyes:

I know that sheeple dream of a Utopia made of Nerf™, but reality pays little heed to the dreams of sheeple. Those of us who could easily snap the pencil-necks of said sheeple (were it not for our generally peaceful live/let live nature) are quite frankly sick and tired of the sheeples' incessant need to bleat. If the human race is to survive, we need to stop paying heed to the weakest--both in mind and body--among us.

Sheeple themselves would be better served in abandoning their absurd and epically failed rules, and perhaps adopting a policy of thanking almighty God each and every day for being blessed enough to live in a country defended by such a fine young man as the OP's son. Having done so, they should then feel free to crawl back under their collectivist rock. After all, if the rest of us needed any more **** from them, we could simply squeeze it out of their otherwise useless microcephalic heads.

:wow:Tell us how you really feel...lol

lbckid19
03-05-2010, 02:25
As did everyone who has ever brought a baseball bat, a pen/pencil, golf club, scarf, frying pan, vehicle of any kind, glass bottle, sharp stick, dull stick, rock, leather belt, cloth belt, jump rope, lacrosse stick, motorcycle helmet, etc. on campus. :upeyes:

When you say microcephalic head, directly translated means small or tiny (micro) of or relating to the head (cephalic) no need to attach head to the end. you basically called us a "pertaining to a small head head" Sounds like a second grade insult to me. I might be offended by your words if you could use them properly

Who has MICROCEPHALY now? thats the correct way to say it:tongueout:

Fred Hansen
03-05-2010, 06:42
When you say microcephalic head, directly translated means small or tiny (micro) of or relating to the head (cephalic) no need to attach head to the end. you basically called us a "pertaining to a small head head" Sounds like a second grade insult to me. I might be offended by your words if you could use them properly

Who has MICROCEPHALY now? thats the correct way to say it:tongueout:How clever. :upeyes:

chance3290
03-05-2010, 20:13
AMEN.

I'm gonna disagree with you. Send him to the front lines WITHOUT the confiscated KaBar because, hey...someone might get hurt with it.

Fiery Red XIII
03-05-2010, 20:20
what happened at fort hood again? i forgot

An Islamo-Nazi gunned down people who weren't allowed to have their knives or guns...even in said wall plaque... Grow up, lose the attitude, and go away.

Red

chance3290
03-05-2010, 20:33
rules are rules, he brought a deadly weapon on campus, However I bet he had no intent on using it and i hope the school shows leiniency. You just dont know whos gunna do what these days. It is the job of the administration to remain sceptical and enforce policy equally, no exceptions
And the rules you mention say what exactly? This 'no exceptions' silliness is why we have kindergarden kids being suspended or expelled for having keyring with a 2" chain.
"Rules are rules" and "no exceptions" need tempering with common sense. Someone with said common sense and/or balls thanks this Marine for his service and then tells him to take down the display and send it home.

What's a 'gunna?' What's a 'whos?'

Hawkwood
03-05-2010, 20:41
Well, no wonder!! your kid is probably one of those right-wing veteran terrorists that the Obama Administration warned us about! Christ...he could have struck without warning! Thank god the vigilant liberal college administration were alerted to this weapon of mass destruction...this.....this....ticking time bomb of unstable conservative rage and wrath.

Rest easy, gentle comrades. Problem solved. Off to the gulag with the monster and his multi-tool of death!

John Taylor
03-05-2010, 20:43
I laugh at all those jokers who responded to this thread w/ a mindless, sheep like ...."rules are rules." No, sorry, baaaaaa sheep, you couldn't be more wrong. Good thing that Washington, Madison, Jefferson, Ben Franklin and the rest of the boys didn't feel, sound, think and rationalize like the mindless sheep who uttered "rules are rules" here. We'd all still be British. No, stupid rules are stupid rules. They should be challenged and defeated everywhere you find them b/c if you don't then we will be overrun by them. Rules like this seem small and minor, but if you let them go they will multiply like rabbits and eventually erode personal freedoms. Like the frog being boiled slowly starting in cold water and then turning up the heat. Eventually the spineless noodles who come up with these rules will have us so backed into a corner we won't be able to get out. Rules like this are "rules of the mob." They are thoughtless and don't work. I applaud those who stand up to them. Just beware the cost of doing so. It isn't cheap or easy and those who do run the risk of being negatively characterized by the sheeple. I hope the young Marine is successful in his appeal. In any case he should transfer as soon as possible. I'm sure there are cooking and eating utensils in his dorm. These rules are as stupid and useless as "gun control" laws/rules, make no sense and do NOTHING to prevent crime. Continue to fight the goodfight.

21 shooter
03-05-2010, 21:07

Well said Sir! And "Utopia made of Nerf" was hilarious. Sad and true, but funny nonetheless.

chance3290
03-05-2010, 21:18
Well, no wonder!! your kid is probably one of those right-wing veteran terrorists that the Obama Administration warned us about! Christ...he could have struck without warning! Thank god the vigilant liberal college administration were alerted to this weapon of mass destruction...this.....this....ticking time bomb of unstable conservative rage and wrath.

Rest easy, gentle comrades. Problem solved. Off to the gulag with the monster and his multi-tool of death!
LOL!!
As others have said, I'm sure there are steak/butter/putty/Ginzu/etc knives that are allowed...even though they are not in display cases.
And how about screwdrivers? More people are killed each year with screwdrivers than with Kabars.

88_gurgel
03-05-2010, 21:24
would someone bury this thread again? It happened in 2007....

glockfanbob
03-05-2010, 21:25
Can't believe this thread was resurrected from 2007!!!!!!

Bullman
03-05-2010, 21:31
Back in the day I kept a .45 pistol and 12 gauge shotgun in my dorm room, well hidden and broke down mind you, but you have to be careful. I also kept liquor in my dorm room right out in the open. I bought some peppermint schnapps, poured it in a scope bottle and added the appropriate amount of food coloring. The schnapps wasn't all that awesome, but it was the thought that I was getting away with something.

Almost got caught by the dean with the shotgun once, I was sneaking it in under my coat and he was in the suite talking to some buddies of mine when I came in:shocked:

wrenrj1
03-06-2010, 19:49

And the things I remember making in Metal Shop Class...What do they make now days that isn't dangerous? Fishing weights?

2ninersavo
03-09-2010, 09:17
Did your son ever get his K-Bar back?