Feral Hog hunting [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Feral Hog hunting

Sixgun_Symphony
05-09-2002, 14:18
Boar hunting (http://www.southernhog.com/2.html)

How many here have used a Glock pistol to hunt feral hogs?

10mmGuy
05-09-2002, 15:26
Yup Yup!
Used both my 20 and 29. 10mm is bad medicine for piggies.

05-10-2002, 16:52
Used my 21 with 230 grn Hydrashoks
worked real good.

duncan
05-11-2002, 02:32
Several people in Montana and Idaho have hunted boar and feral pigs up close with some G20s and G29s.

I wouldn't even think about it with anything other than a very hot 180 to 200 grain flatpoint or softtip in 10mm! At least if you want a real chance of dropping the animal. And that was on the ones in the 100 # range. Small okay with Glock.

Larger and you may not make it through the gristle plating. So you better pull out the 10mm or 44 mag revolver. Mr. Redhawk time!!!
From all accounts, the smaller ones taste better too.

May go on a summer trip to the Olympic National Park north of Aberdeen here in WA because there're there. Just want to be respectful and not hunt with the deer/turkey/and upland bird hunters at the same time. They're unregulated here in WA so you could take 4-5 hogs if you'd like.

05-11-2002, 02:40
Yes Sir you are right, he was kinda smallish or I would have 308ed him. here in Missouri, you are encourged to kill any feral hog you encounter.

shrpshtr
05-11-2002, 03:40
it's the same in in SC as well with all hogs. they do so much destruction to crops/wildgame food plots. you can hunt them year round and i don't think there is a limit. i have seen them killed here as big as 497lbs. so, if your gonna use a glock, you had better be elevated or out of their way when you piss them off. a couple of years ago, i had run under a feeder charge me right next to my truck and i unloaded my S&W .357mag w/220gr hp 4 or 6 hits didn't stop him. i thought i was done for until he peeled off and headed into the swamp. i would guess that hog maybe weighed 300lbs. which isn't very uncommon for the river bottoms of SC.

duncan
05-14-2002, 16:11
Heard of some hogs givin guys a lifetime limp by busting up their legs and tendons.

Shot near a sturdy tree is my SOP.

scoop
05-14-2002, 23:05
between a delta elite in 10mm and my SB 5 inch barrel in 44 mag and my anaconda 8 inch barrel in 44 mag.which one of these guns would you think be the best for hogs?

PACKIN' PLASTIC
05-14-2002, 23:43
Originally posted by scoop
between a delta elite in 10mm and my SB 5 inch barrel in 44 mag and my anaconda 8 inch barrel in 44 mag.which one of these guns would you think be the best for hogs?

The Anaconda all the way:)

Cor*Bon makes some rounds that should be good hog medicine.

http://www.shooterstore.com/corbondealers/images/44300_257x.jpg

PP

Fox
05-15-2002, 08:09
Originally posted by shrpshtr
it's the same in in SC as well with all hogs. they do so much destruction to crops/wildgame food plots. you can hunt them year round and i don't think there is a limit. i have seen them killed here as big as 497lbs. so, if your gonna use a glock, you had better be elevated or out of their way when you piss them off. a couple of years ago, i had run under a feeder charge me right next to my truck and i unloaded my S&W .357mag w/220gr hp 4 or 6 hits didn't stop him. i thought i was done for until he peeled off and headed into the swamp. i would guess that hog maybe weighed 300lbs. which isn't very uncommon for the river bottoms of SC.

You should have used solid hard cast bullets rather than hollowpoints. On a big animal like that you need penetration.

bustedknee
05-15-2002, 08:58
I took a boar with my G33 last March in Oklahoma.
I have no problem with using the 357 Sig.
I want to try it on some other game animals.

shrpshtr
05-18-2002, 13:57
Originally posted by Fox

You should have used solid hard cast bullets rather than hollowpoints. On a big animal like that you need penetration.

i agree, but i wasn't really anticipating that situtation. when i carry now, my g23, i always carry an extra mag with FMJs.