Reloading Class at Powder Room [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Reloading Class at Powder Room

anyplainjoe
12-03-2007, 11:34
FYI: I saw the Powder Room in Powell will be offering a reloading class. The fee is like $50 or so.

RWBlue
12-04-2007, 21:51
Do you reload?

I reload. $50 seems a little high for a group class. It is not like they are helping you setup you reloading gear.

anyplainjoe
12-05-2007, 08:27
My first press took me 5+ hours to get mounted (including driving around for the right sized bolts), assembled, and everything spaced & feeding correctly. After that experience, the next press i did for a friend took 30 minutes. For a newbie I think it's a very good deal.

RWBlue
12-05-2007, 09:21
I guess my issues, is that after class, the newbie is not setup.

My first press took me 5+ hours to get mounted (including driving around for the right sized bolts), assembled, and everything spaced & feeding correctly. After that experience, the next press i did for a friend took 30 minutes. For a newbie I think it's a very good deal.

I guess I am mechanically inclined. I setup my first press quicker than that. :wavey: But after graduating high school and then college, and moving the mounting of the same press took a good bit longer than 30 minutes.

What you did for a friend is probably worth a couple hundred dollars. In the end your friend was setup and ready to go. If you let them do the setup (taking longer than 30 minutes) it would probably worth even more.

If $50 is the going rate, I am very inclined to do a video that they can watch again and again and again.

If someone is more inclined to do something more personal, maybe I should go the full distance. Show up at their house, start from where ever they are and stick around until they have their first loaded round, charging an hourly rate.

anyplainjoe
12-05-2007, 11:55
I think there are alot of folks interested in reloading, but all the talk of dies, crimps, AOL, doublecharges, etc scares them off. I think $50 or so to introduce them to the fundamentals of reloading is a fair price. While I'm not sure of the syllabus, just teaching them of basic parts go together, how to adjust dies, how to use a scale is worth it.

I see it as $50 to see if you really interested before laying out $200, and then maybe risking your health and a $500+ gun.

Youtube has a few reloading videos, they are worth viewing.