brush truck building [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : brush truck building

eagles405
12-03-2007, 13:36
Hey everybody,
I am part of a commitee for building a new brush truck with a skid unit we have had sitting in the bay for the last 3 years. I know there are several good threads on the building of them but I was wondering if anybody knows of any dealerships that help out by selling at cost or really good deals on any truck chassis in Texas. I will keep you informed with pics as we build it. Stay safe out there.

Eagles

sandhiller
12-06-2007, 17:50
I don't know about Texas but here in Nebraska we went through the Nebraska Forest Service / University of Nebraska at Lincoln for our brush trucks. They have a program where we can lease used military vehicles anywhere from 1 ton 4x4's up to 5 ton 6x6's. A one time cost/lease of between $2000 to $5000 lets us use the trucks for as long as we need them. If we have any breakdowns, they provide us with parts for the cost of retrieval and shipping, anything from tires to complete motors. We are about two weeks away from getting a 4x4 pumper that just returned from Iraq. We are a small volunteer FD on a severe budget and this program helps us out a lot. Good luck with your build!

Tvov
12-06-2007, 20:49
sandhiller, that sounds like a fantastic deal. I assume you are allowed to modify the vehicles however you want / need? I don't understand why the military would lease them, though. Why don't they just sell them to you? Does the military think they are going to want them back in the future?

sandhiller
12-06-2007, 21:40
Tvov, the military gives them to the Forest Service to recondition and then "lease" to fire departments. We can have them for as long as we need them or until we want to upgrade. When we are done with them, the FS takes them back and sells them on public auction. Some other organizations buy them from the military at public auction and then sells to the public. The advantage of the lease is that the FS will provide parts for the cost of shipping and labor involved in getting them off another vehicle. If you blow an engine, this is a pretty big deal. About the only restriction they have is how big a tank we can put on them. They want us to keep them in as good a shape as possible understanding they will be out in pretty rough country fighting fires and will get the normal battle scars. The FS guys that do this are a great bunch and do all they can to make sure we are outfitted well. It is to their advantage as we border some forest ground and with the cutbacks, they do not maintain any firefighting equipment on some of their ground so they depend on us when lightning (or ignorant hunters with catalytic converters) strikes. I had a thread here following the build but could not pull it up. It was called Brush / Attack Truck Build.

Here is what they gave us.

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s258/sandhiller_photo/5t6x6_1036.jpg

And here is how it turned out.

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s258/sandhiller_photo/IMG_0782.jpg

indigent
12-10-2007, 09:51
Eagles,
You can apply for a grant w/ the TFS. IIRC, they will sometimes fund the whole vehichle but require you to allow them to use it if need be. You can also get a 60/40 split and are required to put TFS decals on it.

What size truck are you looking for? Single, extended, or crew cab? How big is your skid unit and how much water/foam are you going to be able to carry.

Is this a brush truck only, or is it going to respond to other calls like MVC's, Medical etc.

What type of non water type tools are you going to be carrying.

As far as the chassis, call your local dealerships, sometimes they will work a deal w/ you.

eagles405
12-14-2007, 12:14
Hey guys,
Sorry it has taken so long for me to get back to you all. I have not been ignoring ya'll but the last two weeks have been projects and finals at college.
Thanks for the info everybody. I will look into the grants and trucks through the TFS. The skid unit is a 500 gallon tank and will have a 250 gpm pump. The dept has a few people that are not certified to drive the large engines (Insurance issues) and we also want this to be a last resort stucture/car fire responce unit if nobody certified for the engines is available at the time of the call. Again thanks for the info.

Eagle

nate94gt
12-17-2007, 15:00
holy crap, some of your guys' brush rigs are insane :eek:

our biggest rig is a 4x4 chevy diesel from like 1987. you guys are rolling up in 2 ton army trucks and stuff

Tvov
12-17-2007, 15:59
holy crap, some of your guys' brush rigs are insane :eek:

our biggest rig is a 4x4 chevy diesel from like 1987. you guys are rolling up in 2 ton army trucks and stuff

It all depends on where you are fighting brush fires. We work fine with a 2005 F-550 4wd dually with water, pump, Indian tanks, and booster lines. Many times, though, we can reach the brush fires using forestry hose and 3/4" crosslays from our regular engines parked on the road.

If you are out in the wilderness, you need bigger and better brush equipment.

nate94gt
12-17-2007, 16:50
It all depends on where you are fighting brush fires. We work fine with a 2005 F-550 4wd dually with water, pump, Indian tanks, and booster lines. Many times, though, we can reach the brush fires using forestry hose and 3/4" crosslays from our regular engines parked on the road.

If you are out in the wilderness, you need bigger and better brush equipment.

werd. I'd expect seeing that big stuff out in CA, AZ, etc. Here the DNR has big equipment like the dozers and such, whereas the FD only has brush trucks/jeeps

Tvov
12-17-2007, 16:59
werd. I'd expect seeing that big stuff out in CA, AZ, etc. Here the DNR has big equipment like the dozers and such, whereas the FD only has brush trucks/jeeps

Where's "here"?

nate94gt
12-17-2007, 20:22
Where's "here"?

southwestern michigan

sandhiller
12-18-2007, 19:07
Nate, we may have to travel 10 miles off a decent road to the fire. This can be a very rough 10 miles. These 5 ton 6x6's are at home on this type of terrain. We also have 3/4 and 1 ton pickups for grass rigs with 150 to 300 gallon tanks, we have phased out our jeeps. Before I built this 6x6, I used my own Dodge dually with a 400 gallon tank. In an ideal situation, the 6x6's will only be used to refill these smaller grass rigs. We mainly draft out of windmills, not many other water sources. I live in a pretty sparse area and my 6x6 might be the first on the scene and I may not see anyone else for half an hour or more. I need this truck to be mobile and spray water until help arrives. Also, most ranchers out here have known that if their house or out buildings were to catch fire, they were probably going to be lost. Two years ago we had a lightning storm move through about midnight. I heard of neighbors that fought fires for two solid days without ever seeing another soul.

Eagles, sorry for hijacking your thread, please keep us posted on your progress.

itjisfo
01-06-2008, 09:21
ever seen some our trucks here in new jersey ??

do a google search for new jersey forest fire service

we push trees out of the way !!!