Well gents, hit a long-sought-after PR tonight... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Well gents, hit a long-sought-after PR tonight...

TurboRocket
12-03-2007, 21:07
CJ and DBrad - you guys probably remember I stalled on my back squats a few months ago and had been concentrating on evening out my lower body strength with my upper body. Had a goal to BS 6 plates by the end of 2007. Well, tonight I hit it, FINALLY. Relatively deep squat (not A2A but definitely below parallel), no belt (as always), and barefoot. I know this is probably nothing for you beasty former power-lifters/O-lifters but I was pretty pumped. Finally hit it, a bit earlier than planned, and now I can finally move beyond that. If nothing else, it's a great mental lift. Actually, I felt good enough that I could have maybe gone another 5 or 10 lbs but I was happy stopping on a positive note.

Just wanted to share and say thanks to you guys in this forum. CJ, your 20 rep squat routine definitely helped, as I saw gradual improvements week-over-week.

If I could string all of my PRs together my CrossFit Total would be close to 865. That's a big if, though. Haven't tested my CFT in a long time...may try to do that before the end of the year just to see the 1 year progression.

California Jack
12-03-2007, 21:17
WAY TO GO! That's some good lifting! I have never really done much back squatting. I have always prefered the front squat. I bet if we lifted against each other today, you would have won, at a considerable less bodyweight too. I'm very impressed and glad I could be of assistance. Cool.

Shabcat
12-03-2007, 21:35
What's the 20 rep squat program? Is it the basic "milk and squats" template (whether or not the dietary aspect was followed)?

DBradD
12-03-2007, 21:46
Awesome TR!!

Shabcat, it's something like that. There's a thread somewhere down the page that describes it, IIRC, but it might be a ways down.

California Jack
12-04-2007, 05:12
What's the 20 rep squat program? Is it the basic "milk and squats" template (whether or not the dietary aspect was followed)?
Yeah, that' the ticket.

TurboRocket
12-04-2007, 18:55

As I understand it, take your 10-rep max but do 20 reps. If it is truly your 10 RM, eaking out 20 is a b*tch. Generally speaking though, I just started at a weight (not knowing if it was truly my 10 RM) a bit over my BW, did the 20-reps, and made sure I added weight every BS workout. The milk part is to drink a gallon a day - which I didn't do (don't drink milk) but I did concentrate on ingesting more protein shakes.

I have to come up with of some other BIG strength goals for next year, probably in DL, Cleans, and/or Press.