Helicopter Pilots [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Helicopter Pilots

Sgt. Rambo
12-07-2007, 10:26
Hey all, I posted this in the USMC board as well but I'm looking for information if Helicopter Pilots carried call signs similar to fighter pilots. If you know or had one, let me know. I'm doing research on my second novel and could use a little help. Thanks and stay safe.

PS my first novel is out "Crossing the Line" available through www.tatepublishing.com (if you're interested...)

2spurs
12-07-2007, 19:28
Rambo
As Navy air traffic control I remember helicopter call signs like RA22 and ST47.

Pronounced Romeo Alpha two two. Sierra Tango four seven.

rwdflynavy
12-12-2007, 07:08
As a Navy helo pilot I can tell you that call signs are not nearly as prevalent as in the jet community. I'd say less than half have them. I do not have a call sign.

F14Scott
12-12-2007, 14:03
As a Navy helo pilot I can tell you that call signs are not nearly as prevalent as in the jet community. I'd say less than half have them. I do not have a call sign.

As a former Navy fighter guy, I concur. Seems to be a "fast mover" thing, for whatever reason. The more likely a Navy aircraft is to shoot a missile, bomb, or gun, the more likely its occupants will have call signs, with pointy-nose guys so named at 100%.

Sgt. Rambo
12-12-2007, 14:12
That is a classic summary F14 Scott...I may have to get permission from you to quote that in the book...lol