how much plot stealing is fair game. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : how much plot stealing is fair game.

bubllehead
12-10-2007, 12:07
Often plots bare more then casual resemblance to something you've seen before. So the question is how much is to much?

For example (this plot would be public domain) what if you had three guys led by a grate hero holding a bridge against an enemy hoard while the rest of the company destroy the bridge behind him?

MCPreacher
12-10-2007, 14:36
I once read that there are only 5 stories. I guess what I am saying is that I read a lot and it is rare I find a book that doesn't have something in common with another book I have already read.

What you described seems more like a plot device, unless your entire book is about that heroic defense of the bridge?

The idea is free, it is all in how you use it. If you were to duplicate the Gandalf battle from the Lord of the Rings movie, you would get sued. If you were to modernize that and make the battle about a Sargeant holding the bridge against a tank and telling his squad to run, as long as you didn't steal the actual dialog, you could make it work and, though it might not be the most original bit of writing ever, you could make it work.

bubllehead
12-11-2007, 20:04
I forgot about Gandalf. I was thinking of Horatius at the bridge of Rome. I guess that shows something in itself as the similarity is striking.

http://www.englishverse.com/poems/horatius

silentpoet
12-20-2007, 12:47
History repeats itself. Look at Thermopoly and the Alamo.

Paul7
01-19-2008, 08:32
History repeats itself. Look at Thermopoly and the Alamo.

delete