Do you dress as the Master? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Do you dress as the Master?

ArodJohns
12-11-2007, 21:04
Last Sunday during a practice for Commandery, one of the brothers brought up this question. Unfortunately, he brought it up in the snobby "I'm better than you because I wear a suit to every lodge meeting" way.

I disagreed with him and stated that Masonry regards no man for his worldly wealth and definately not for his clothes. Don't get me wrong, I'm not advocating wearing your shabbiest and rattiest clothes to Lodge.

What say the rest of you?

zoyter2
12-11-2007, 21:41
Lodges vary from lodge to lodge. In my lodge during a regular communications, we (the officers) can wear shorts and flip-flops. We never wear suits unless there will be distinguished visitors.

When conferring degrees I will wear a pair of nice pants and button up shirt. That is as formal as it gets.

Bilbo Baggins
12-11-2007, 22:16
Pennsylvanis has a strict dress code, Officers wear tux with tails, Members must wear suit and tie. this is the code for any meeting
Since moving to Georgia I am much more comfortable in Lodge, I wear a good pair of jeans ( usually black) and either a polo shirt or a button up.

ArodJohns
12-11-2007, 23:08
Since moving to Georgia I am much more comfortable in Lodge, I wear a good pair of jeans ( usually black) and either a polo shirt or a button up.

That's usually what I wear but sometimes I don't even wear black jeans. I put on a nicer pair of blue ones and go. I just found it offensive that someone from another Lodge was coming into my Lodge and making comments about our membership.

mmsig229
12-13-2007, 12:49
The Master usually dictates what will be worn. Stated meeting we wear suits and ties, or sport coats and ties. For inspection or degree work, the officers will wear Tux's. For a practice, we wear casual clothing. This is always a touchy subject and was recently discussed here at length. PS, no member from another lodge has any business telling you what to do in your own house, unless of course it's a DDGM.

grecco
12-13-2007, 20:31
Here in Philadelphia, at the Grand Lodge,
you not be admitted with out a suite and tie.

deputy tom
12-15-2007, 18:45
Pennsylvanis has a strict dress code, Officers wear tux with tails, Members must wear suit and tie. this is the code for any meeting

Bilbo speaks the truth.We wear Tails in every meeting and all members wear suits or Sports Coats and trousers.On a very few occaissions the WM might allow everyone to remove their coats due to extreme heat.I've seen this maybe three times in thirty years.tom.

MarcoPolo
01-11-2008, 09:57
My lodge typically wears a lodge Golf shirt and jeans to stated meetings. Called meetings/degrees usually have people in khaki's. Suits only seem to be worn during distinguished visits. We do have brothers in all manor of dress if they are coming in after work, but the shorts and flip flops are frowned upon by some of the older brothers.

I believe in "look sharp, be sharp" and lending respect to the event.. but I also remember something about judging the "internal" and not the "external". I don't see how anyone could ever turn a brother away from lodge for not being dressed up.

zoyter2
01-11-2008, 12:54
Bilbo speaks the truth.We wear Tails in every meeting and all members wear suits or Sports Coats and trousers.On a very few occaissions the WM might allow everyone to remove their coats due to extreme heat.I've seen this maybe three times in thirty years.tom.

I know that you guys look sharp, and I would love to sit in a Lodge occasionally that is formal dress, but, I do have a question.

What does this do for Masonry or your Lodge?

Please trust me Brother, this is not in any way confrontational, I am really just curious as to why. It would seem to me that it could easily hinder many good men from coming to communications. I can't imagine rushing home at 5pm after a hard day at work, rushing for a shower and donning a tux for a regular communication every week.

Again, not criticizing, just curious.

Bilbo Baggins
01-11-2008, 21:58
Zoyter, I think you are 100% right in your statement. The attendance in meetings would surly go up if our dress code was even just a bit relaxed.
I conversations with our DDGM during my year as master I would often bring up "the internal and not external qualifications" line, but there is just to much hesidancy to change from the old ways (IMHO)

zoyter2
01-11-2008, 23:35
I see this hesitancy too in Alabama. Our problem is finding a balance between the old ways and dying off. Alabama's net loss was 1177 Masons last year. This has been typical for a decade or so.

I know there has to be a balance, but agreeing on where that balance lies is going to be tough.

ArodJohns
01-12-2008, 06:51
I know there has to be a balance, but agreeing on where that balance lies is going to be tough.

The same could be said about membership. Unfortunately, (at least up here in Ohio) it seems like we're losing alot more members than we're bringing in. This will be the first year we've "broken even" as far as that goes. Since this is the case, it seems like we're not accepting the quality of membership we once had. Alot of folks go through Blue Lodge and you never see them again until you bump into them at the grocery store or some other random place. Of course, I politely and in a friendly manner remind them what nights Blue Lodge is on and it's always the same excuse "I'm too busy" or "I'll see about making it up there." However, come to find out they've not missed a Shrine meeting for months.

It just kind of seems hollow to join one group only so you can join another.

zoyter2
01-12-2008, 11:05
I know what you are saying. Funny thing is that I wanted to be a Shriner and THAT is what brought me to Masonry. I had no interest in anything but Shriners and saw the Blue Lodge as merely a stepping stone to get to where I wanted to be.

Once I joined, I realized that without Bros willing to do the Blue Lodge work and bring new men in, everything would wither and die off. I decided to work in the Blue Lodge for a while.

That was 14 years ago. One of these days I will join the Shrine! :supergrin:

ArodJohns
01-12-2008, 11:12
I know what you are saying. Funny thing is that I wanted to be a Shriner and THAT is what brought me to Masonry. I had no interest in anything but Shriners and saw the Blue Lodge as merely a stepping stone to get to where I wanted to be.

Once I joined, I realized that without Bros willing to do the Blue Lodge work and bring new men in, everything would wither and die off. I decided to work in the Blue Lodge for a while.

That was 14 years ago. One of these days I will join the Shrine! :supergrin:

At the risk of sounding hypocritical, I've always wanted to be a KT. So, I joined Blue Lodge intending to get right into Commandery.

Much like you though, I got "confused". :rofl:

This year, I'm the JW in Blue Lodge, the King in Chapter and Standard Bearer in Commandery. Hopefully this April, I'll get a chance to get into Scottish Rite. And to think, all I wanted to be was a Knight :rofl: