Fun stuff w/translations [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Fun stuff w/translations

MB-G26
05-12-2002, 19:45
http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Personal/M.Stonebank/funstuff/badenglish.html
Something was lost in the Translation?

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Here are some signs and notices written in English that were discovered throughout the world. You have to give the writers an 'E' for Effort. We hope you enjoy them. (snip list)
Items like:

In a Yugoslavian hotel
The flattening of underwear with pleasure is the job of the chambermaid.

In the lobby of a Moscow hotel across from a Russian Orthodox monastery
You are welcome to visit the cemetery where famous Russian and Soviet composers, artists, and writers are buried daily except Thursday.

In an Austrian hotel catering to skiers
Not to perambulate the corridors in the hours of repose in the boots of ascension.

Outside a Hong Kong tailor shop
Ladies may have a fit upstairs.

Advertisement for donkey rides in Thailand
Would you like to ride on your own ass?

And, to twist the English language through 5-language translations and then back again, al la babelfish:
http://www.tashian.com/multibabel/
What happens when an English phrase is translated (by computer) back and forth between 5 different languages? The authors of the Systran translation software probably never intended this application of their program. As of April 2002, translation software is almost good enough to turn grammatically correct, slang-free text from one language into grammatically incorrect, barely readable approximations in another. But the software is not equipped for 10 consecutive translations of the same piece of text. The resulting half-English, half-foreign, and totally non sequitur response bears almost no resemblance to the original. Remember the old game of "Telephone"? Something is lost, and sometimes something is gained. Try it for yourself!

Example:
"Original English Text:
This is a section where pretty much any non-Glock related topics can be discussed. Having a separate section for these non-Glock questions will help take some of the strain off of the General Glocking forum."

To French and then back:
It is a section where pretty matters connected much all them by non-Glock can be discussed. To have a section separated for these questions from non-Glock will help to remove part of the constraint of the forum of the Glocking General.

Then to German and back:
It is a section, in which pretty affairs attached much everything, which, they can be discussed by non Glock. A section helps to have, for these questions from the non Glock is separated part the delimitation of the forum from the Glocking general to remove.

Then after Italian and back:
It is a section, in which fixed graceful transactions much all, than, it can be discussed do not give Glock. A section contributes to having, since these questions do not give the Glock are separate part the marking out of the tribune from the General di Glocking to remove.

Portguese and back:
It is a section, where the fixed gracious transactions very everything, of that, it can be argued does not give Glock. A section contributes to have, since that these questions do not give the Glock are separate part marking are of tribune of the Generality di Glocking to remove.

Spanish and back:
It is a section, where the fixed graceful transactions very everything, of that, he can be discussed do not give Glock. A section contributes to have, that these questions does not give since then the Glock is separated mark of the part is of tribune of the majority I gave Glocking to clear.
:)
m

SomeGuyInAHat
05-12-2002, 19:54
www.engrish.com

AC37
05-12-2002, 21:33
LMAO!!!

Good to see the Glock tribunal council mentioned. ;e ;f

Mathurian
05-13-2002, 06:27
that's cool!!

forthehalibut
05-14-2002, 13:58
;i ;i ;a ;a ;a ;a

G26AZ
05-16-2002, 09:27
www.engrish.com is great, I've been following that one for years.(I used to work in Japan). Just remember that the Japanese often switch the "r" and "l" sounds. Reminds me of the photo of the posters at Tokyo airport when when McArthur was gonna run for president after the occupation there, and the Japanese had made big banners saying "We pray for McArthur's erection!" :)