US Army Artillery: Any Gunners here? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : US Army Artillery: Any Gunners here?

mikeg81
12-12-2007, 12:37
*Disclaimer: Yes i'm Canadian posting in your US Army forum...roll with me*

I hear alot 'bout your infantry, but rarely about the Artillery...
Who here is a Gunner?

mikeg81

30th Field Regiment RCA
Afghanistan with E Battery, 2 RCHA

Big Time
12-12-2007, 13:13
WHAT? They are the king of battle,but at the moment they are probably at the doctor getting sized up for some new hearing aids:rofl:

jlday70
12-12-2007, 13:44
WHAT? They are the king of battle,but at the moment they are probably at the doctor getting sized up for some new hearing aids:rofl:

Hey I lost 40% of my hearing to the damn 155 howitzer before I went to EOD..

rebbryan
12-13-2007, 04:21
Not a gunner, I just talk on the radio and watch the impacts :)

deadday
12-13-2007, 09:12
Haven't noticed any gun bunnies hangin around here....

drew

fourdeuce2
12-13-2007, 12:31
I always felt like mortars were red-haired stepchildren for the Infantry.:supergrin: We spent almost all our time on the guns, but I guess they weren't big enough to be considered artillery. What's even funnier is that mortar crewmen can be assigned to Infantry, Armor, and Cavalry units(I was in all 3), so we'd be stuck in the middle everywhere we went.:wavey:
I got out before they brought in the 120mm mortar, but I know the 4.2"(107mm) mortar was big enough to ring your ears if you hung around when they were firing without your earplugs.:faint:

Bren
12-14-2007, 09:53
I was a 13B (Canon Crewman) on active duty - when I reenlisted in the USAR I got a "2" on my profile for hearing.

In my day, you had better NOT be caught wearing earplugs while firing - it was STRONGLY suggested that hearing your chief, etc., was much more important than your hearing.

WS6
12-14-2007, 13:07
Retired, 13B4X.

Nappy41
12-15-2007, 05:50
I am in Iraq and the only thing that artillery soldiers are doing is guarding detainees. Thats usually for MP's but since artiallery have nothing to do they are guarding detainers right next to bang bangs and MP's.

fourdeuce2
12-15-2007, 12:43
I was a 13B (Canon Crewman) on active duty - when I reenlisted in the USAR I got a "2" on my profile for hearing.

In my day, you had better NOT be caught wearing earplugs while firing - it was STRONGLY suggested that hearing your chief, etc., was much more important than your hearing.

Yep, the earplugs we usually used were our fingers(if we were lucky enough to get our fingers in our ears before the gun fired). When I joined the Army they made me take the hearing test about 6 times, hoping I'd pass it, but then they checked my paperwork and saw I was going to be a mortar crewman. They said "Ah, you won't need to worry about your hearing anyway." Of course, that was back in 1975, just after Vietnam was over and they were pretty desperate for people.

FDC
12-15-2007, 14:47
I am in Iraq and the only thing that artillery soldiers are doing is guarding detainees. Thats usually for MP's but since artiallery have nothing to do they are guarding detainers right next to bang bangs and MP's.

You need to get out and about-see some things.

Most GS arty units in Iraq are doing adhoc MP duties, running BDOCs/mayor's cells, or convoy security. Most DS arty units are usually land owning maneuver units(read "infantillery"). A rare few sections per DS battalion are shooting, either counterfire, close supporting fires, or terrain denial. NG arty units, with a couple of exceptions, tend to perform the same roles of active GS arty.

In A'stan, as mikeg81 knows, artillery units are putting rounds down range AND owning ground.

I'm a 13D4P, and once 50 odd other mofrackers get promoted, I'll be a 13Z5P. It looks like my next trip will be to A'stan.

Mike, I've trained with your guys before. A Canadian 105 battery (with Giats) came to Turkey for an AMF exercise in 97. We also did an exchange with a mechanized battery(M109A5) based in Valcartier. We went up there for a month, and they came down to Fort Bragg for awhile.
DAMN good people. It's always a pleasure to work with the Canadian military.

chR|5
12-28-2007, 18:45
I always felt like mortars were red-haired stepchildren for the Infantry.:su: We spent almost all our time on the guns, but I guess they weren't big enough to be considered artillery. What's even funnier is that mortar crewmen can be assigned to Infantry, Armor, and Cavalry units(I was in all 3), so we'd be stuck in the middle everywhere we went.:wavey:
I got out before they brought in the 120mm mortar, but I know the 4.2"(107mm) mortar was big enough to ring your ears if you hung around when they were firing without your earplugs.:faint:

Haha, I feel the same way! Though we do have the biggest tubes on base, 105mm, pfff. Charge 4 in the track makes me kekkle :embarassed:!
Sorry for the hijack, I wouldn't call us artillery, but the Scouts say otherwise.:upeyes::supergrin:

PFC chR|5
Assistant Gunner

sgtlmj
12-28-2007, 21:07
I was a 13E20. I don't think the MOS exists anymore though. Maybe turned into 13D?

Rock of the Marne!

FDC
12-28-2007, 21:56
I was a 13E20. I don't think the MOS exists anymore though. Maybe turned into 13D?

Yeah they combined 13E technical & tactical fire direction guys with 13C pushbutton tactical fire direction guys. Thus a jack of all trades 13D, but master of none was created. Two people were killed at Fort Drum due to Fort Sill's idiocy. There are still a few old 13Es running around that still pass along some knowledge of gunnery.

sgtlmj
12-28-2007, 22:23
Yeah they combined 13E technical & tactical fire direction guys with 13C pushbutton tactical fire direction guys. Thus a jack of all trades 13D, but master of none was created. Two people were killed at Fort Drum due to Fort Sill's idiocy. There are still a few old 13Es running around that still pass along some knowledge of gunnery.

I still have a RDP, GFT and TFT around somewhere. Charts and darts baby!

3/325
12-28-2007, 22:54
13F phoning it in.

Which, incidentally, I never actually had to do my job once the command staff found out I could draw. I was putting together briefings and charts from that day forward. Not bad for a gig, though. The office had heat in the winter and a/c in the summer. :supergrin:

sgtlmj
12-28-2007, 23:19
Ooo a FIST'er. We all know what FIST stands for... :whistling:

3/325
12-29-2007, 00:11
Have you had your FISTing today? :supergrin:

deadday
12-29-2007, 07:42
Have you had your FISTing today? :supergrin:

You guys wanna talk about the real red headed bastard children, you mortars have got nothing on the poor FISTrs :rofl::rofl: At least in Scout and Bang-Bang Companies you mortars get your own plt. and vehicles....We always dump our FISTrs in with the mortars...:tongueout:

drew

fourdeuce2
12-29-2007, 15:18
Yeah, but then you go back to your parent unit. Mortar crews are assigned to Infantry, Armor, and Cavalry units, so they stay there. I have fatigues which were spotted with blue, yellow, and red&white paint from having to paint stuff the color of whichever type of unit I was in. When I was in the Armor battalion they even made us wear tanker scarves with our dress greens, even though we weren't tankers. They also made us sit in on tank gunnery classes. Guess they figured they could use us as tankers when we weren't busy firing the mortars.:rofl:
BTW, FO(FIST) used to be a part of the 11C career field. We had our own FO crews until they took them out. When they made the change, they didn't even switch the people who were working as FO to 13F(at least not in the unit I was in). They just took some people and sent them over to the Artillery field.:dunno:

RM
12-29-2007, 15:32
Mike

Are you with a M777 battery?

RM
12-29-2007, 15:38
BTW, FO(FIST) used to be a part of the 11C career field. We had our own FO crews until they took them out. When they made the change, they didn't even switch the people who were working as FO to 13F(at least not in the unit I was in). They just took some people and sent them over to the Artillery field.:dunno:

I think you got it a little backwards. Years ago at Serby Hall at Fort Sill I sat in on a PME given by a retiring General. It was over the history of the Fire Support Community in the army. The mortarmen up till about 30 years ago were artillerymen sent to infantry units to act as both FOs and mortarmen. I believe it was in the 70s or 80s that the 11C MOS was created and the 13Fs just stuck to being FOs and dealing more with FA, vice all indirect fire.

In the mid 90s prior to when TF 2/2 was done away with at Ft Sill. There were mortars, tanks and a tracks at Sill to train LTs with, but in the cut backs of the 90s, they just got rid of all that and just shot M119s and TF 2/2 reverted to 2/2 FA.

sgtlmj
12-29-2007, 16:38
Haven't noticed any gun bunnies hangin around here....

I don't think they can work computers. :rofl:

mikeg81
12-30-2007, 10:04
Mike

Are you with a M777 battery?

Yup, we had 777's over there, as well as 81mm mortars.

RM
12-30-2007, 10:15
Do your M777 self compute or do you still get a data push from the FDC?

w5kxo
12-30-2007, 21:17
13B here....M109A3's. Served 1982 to 1990 (Active 1986 to 1988)

Spent most of my active duty time in the Fire Support Trainers (Werewolf Team) in the Operations Group at the NTC (Ft. Irwin, CA). The mid to late 80's were a great time to be in the Army...at that time we had (I think) 16 training rotations a year and a lot of money was being spent to ensure we were providing good training.

Thought I was dead when I showed up from Sill to process into the post and they told me that there were no permanent party guns there.

Turned out I was supposed to be part of the fielding of a new arty simulation system called SAWE (Simulated Area Weapons Effect). It was to use an M548 track with short-range "gun" that was to shoot something like an artillery simulator out a couple of kilometers...whereupon some system would assess casualties. I was to be crew on one of these SAWE Guns. Needless to say, there were many problems with the system....mainly that everyone was afraid of dud rounds landing on troops. The SAWE Gun-based system was never (to my knowledge) fielded. Instead, we ran around in brand new HMMWVs and simulated fire missions (mainly on the OPFOR) with pyro and assessed casualties with a MILES "god gun" as directed by our ops center.

It was pretty good duty for a young 13B. I was in an E5 slot, had my own HMMWV, 1000 square miles of desert to 4 wheel in and got to throw/shoot a lot of pyro. NTC at that time was a no BS post...we worked hard at very odd hours and were in the field almost all the time. The trade off was that we had to deal with very few of the normal BS garrison duties that most units have to deal with. I was reasonably disappointed that I didn't go to a normal gun unit, but my duties at the NTC sure beat the heck out of the normal young redleg duties: digging foxholes and "humping joes".

fourdeuce2
12-30-2007, 22:03
I think you got it a little backwards. Years ago at Serby Hall at Fort Sill I sat in on a PME given by a retiring General. It was over the history of the Fire Support Community in the army. The mortarmen up till about 30 years ago were artillerymen sent to infantry units to act as both FOs and mortarmen. I believe it was in the 70s or 80s that the 11C MOS was created and the 13Fs just stuck to being FOs and dealing more with FA, vice all indirect fire.

In the mid 90s prior to when TF 2/2 was done away with at Ft Sill. There were mortars, tanks and a tracks at Sill to train LTs with, but in the cut backs of the 90s, they just got rid of all that and just shot M119s and TF 2/2 reverted to 2/2 FA.

I remember the time well when they took forward observers out of the mortar platoons, because I was working as a forward observer in my platoon right up until they yanked the job right out from under me.:crying: That was around late 1976 or 1977. Then I had to go back to being on the gun crew or FDC. I joined in late 1975 as an 11C. We did Basic Training and AIT at Fort Polk with the Infantry. Never been to Fort Sill, although I always felt sort of in between Infantry and Artillery.

FDC
12-31-2007, 17:43
Do your M777 self compute or do you still get a data push from the FDC?

RM, has anyone at Lejuene fielded the M777 yet? If so, how is the digital side working?

I still haven't seen any of these guns working, but a battalion is supposed to bring some through JRTC here in a couple of months. Since I'm an old FDC guy, I'm curious about how well the TAD is working.

RM
12-31-2007, 18:45
RM, has anyone at Lejuene fielded the M777 yet? If so, how is the digital side working?

I still haven't seen any of these guns working, but a battalion is supposed to bring some through JRTC here in a couple of months. Since I'm an old FDC guy, I'm curious about how well the TAD is working.

10th Marines converted this last summer. However, TAD is not self computing, that is the next patch they anticipate. Right now, the piece self locates and has digital comm back and forth with the AFATDS, however it still requires digital fire commands to the guns. The problem they are seeing is the SINCGARS is causing a lag in commands, the band width is just too restrictive. Most problematic the command to fire, often can take up to 30 sec from the time it when the FDC gives the command and the gun gets it. Naturally this gives problems with TOTs.

FDC
12-31-2007, 19:42
10th Marines converted this last summer. However, TAD is not self computing, that is the next patch they anticipate. Right now, the piece self locates and has digital comm back and forth with the AFATDS, however it still requires digital fire commands to the guns. The problem they are seeing is the SINCGARS is causing a lag in commands, the band width is just too restrictive. Most problematic the command to fire, often can take up to 30 sec from the time it when the FDC gives the command and the gun gets it. Naturally this gives problems with TOTs.

OK, right now, it seems to be just a fancy GDU that reports position?

Some questions I would ask as an FDC/AFATDS geek. Does the lag also occur when using wire as a comms protocol versus SINCGARS? Also, they might want to play with SINCGARS/AFATDS protocols to make the RT transmit faster. Try CT/PT/FH? AFATDS also has issues with polling guns. It will noticeably go from right to left on the gun line, and if gun 1 doesn't ack AFATDS will transmit 3 more times before moving to gun 2. If you've ever wondered why FDC chiefs listen to digital going out, that's one of the reasons. You see that with old GDUs, GDU-Rs, MLRS, and slightly with the Paladin AFCS. It appears to have the same issue with the TAD(just a SWAG)?

My whole FDC background is with M119s and GDUs. As far as TOTs go, I would ALWAYS voice the command to fire for any AMC mission between me and the guns. It would be followed by a digital fire just to clear their GDU and to send a shot up digital to higher. Sending the command to fire digital, and listening to my guns shoot from right to left didn't meet my standards or the relaxed +-3 second TOT standards per our SOP.

If this is one of your units, I would work with your AFATDS Raytheon FSR to either send up a trouble ticket for the next patch or develop a workaround. If your guy isn't down at Lejeune, contact the Raytheon reps at Bragg as they just fielded 2 battalions of M777s and are VERY helpful for EVERYTHING digital.

BADSBSNF81
12-31-2007, 23:11
I'll date myself here. I was brought up on Freddie FADAC and Charts and Darts.

mikeg81
01-02-2008, 09:14
Our CP computes the data and sends it out over the DGMS net to the guns. We had a few problems with connectivity, so the No's 1 had small radios as well, in contact with the CP.

The DGMS was cool, that you could drop the gun at a new position and be ready to fire almost right away.

mikeg81

Doubletaps'Rus
01-30-2008, 11:45
I finished my NG 20 as an ammo tean chief. Having transfered from the cav, I always felt that 548s should have big targets painted on the sides.

mikeg81
02-05-2008, 13:00
Think I've decided to make a slight change in my job as well...

Gonna get off the gunline and go up to the OP's. FOO Tech, here I come...

(I think you guys call them Fire Controllers. We call'em Forward Observation Officers, and I'd be the officer's Tech. Mind you, I can call missions as well.)

RM
02-05-2008, 18:36
Mike PM sent

mikeg81
02-25-2008, 08:25
Well, change in plans again...

Thought I was going up to the OP's, but now I am not. I'm staying on the gunline, but I am going on my Gun Detachment(think you guys call'em Gun Crews?) 2i/c's course...

Guess the Regiment wants to keep my deployment experience on the gunline...

FDC
02-25-2008, 23:31
Guess the Regiment wants to keep my deployment experience on the gunline...

That's not necesarily a bad thing. Have fun.

OEF_VET
03-03-2008, 21:43
Not a Gun-Dummy, but a Redleg just the same. I spent 5 1/2 years as a FISTer in 3/320 FA, 101st ABN DIV (AASLT), supporting the 187th Inf Rgt (The Rakkasans). I also got to work with 3rd PPCLI in Afghanistan. Being half-Canadian myself, it was a treat to work with them.