Has anyone bought hunting land in Ohio or Ky? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone bought hunting land in Ohio or Ky?

joedoc
12-14-2007, 20:25
I was thinking about picking up some acreage in Adams county Ohio, but was wondering if anyone here has any experience.
I admittedly am a city guy, but love some of the hilly areas around Ohio and Ky.

Linda
12-15-2007, 07:38
If you need a pro-gun Realtor who's fighting for your gun rights, I'd be more than happy to help you out with the transaction!:wavey:

Land is a very easy closing.

joedoc
12-15-2007, 23:16
thank you for your offer, and also for your work with buckeye firearm assn

firedog978
12-17-2007, 06:22
I was thinking about picking up some acreage in Adams county Ohio, but was wondering if anyone here has any experience.
I admittedly am a city guy, but love some of the hilly areas around Ohio and Ky.

There can be some problems (albeit often minor), to such a venture. If you are not residing on the property, be prepared for finding signs of people using it. Also, you'll likely have to chase others off of it during the hunting seasons. And, if there are any structures on it, including campers, mobile homes or small sheds you should expect some vandalism.

I've known several people that had nice acreage (in Adams county) for summer recreation and hunting. Both had the above problems. One had a very nice modular home on his and experienced some vandalism. The other actually had a confrontation with a local neighbor that was angry about not being able to hunt on it. The owner went to hunt it (deer) and found the neighbor using it often.
My in-laws are also non-residing property owners of acreage in Indiana and find alot of signs that their land is being used by hunters. Since they (my in-laws) don't hunt, it doesn't bother them as long as it doesn't get vandalised.

joedoc
12-18-2007, 21:43
thanks firedog---those were some of my concerns.
I would not be living on this land, so vandalism and tresspassing would be a problem.

did your buddies enjoy their land, other than these issues?
it sounds like they only travelled out there on weekends etc.

Racsan
12-19-2007, 08:23
Having leased some land in the past for hunting, the issues mentioned with not being on site can be a problem. We found over the years the best way to handle it was:
1) Get to know the neighbor (although a lot of times it is them trespassing)
2) Post signs on entire property line so there is no missing them
3) Contact sheriff and let them know you will be prosecuting any trespassers
4) First time you find people or cars there, call police (word will get out fast)
5) The most effective though is to have people you know on the land as much as possible especially during hunting season. These need to be people who will not have a problem telling trespassers they must leave and calling police if they don't

After you acquire the land if you need people for #5 give me a shout.

ANeat
12-21-2007, 17:05
joedoc if you get something out near me I can help keep and eye on it for ya. Lots of pretty places out this way

joedoc
12-21-2007, 21:59
thank you sir.
Winchester is one of the areas I have on my list to check out.

Matt VDW
12-23-2007, 18:29
What is a good price for land out in the boonies -- land that no one would want to farm or build on?

And what sort of annual taxes should one expect?

Linda
12-23-2007, 20:33
Matt, here's some examples of what is listed:

Gallia Cty, 70 acres, $120,000
Meigs Cty, 108 ac., $110,000
Athens Cty, 50 ac., $100,000
Morgan Cty, 46 ac., $92,000
Muskigum Cty, 17 ac., $90,000

So , as a general rule, anywhere between $1000-2000 per ac.

None had taxes listed, but generally taxes are low on vacant land.