Need replacment car....soon! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Need replacment car....soon!

Douglas in CT
12-16-2007, 10:01
My mechanic told me the day before Thanksgiving that I don't need a new front right wheel bearing... I need a new car! Something about the sub-frame falling apart and the wheel mount has elongated/gone out of round.

I drive about 15,000 miles a year.
Don't have any money to spend, or enough money to cover a loan's monthly bill. Coming up with any money will be a challenge.. and a half.

Question:
Just hear about a 1995 Buick Roadmaster station wagon that has been well maintained and is in good condition.

Only negatives I see are:
- It's over 10 years old (aging components).
- 105,000 miles on it.
- Rear window wiper motor needs replacement.
- MPG with gas @ $3.20 per gallon

The owner is the wife of a deceased amateur radio friend of mine, so I know he took care of the important stuff.

Asking price is $3,500
I expect that she would be happy if I offered $3,000

Your thoughts?

Thank you.

Berto
12-16-2007, 10:51
Do you trust the mechanic's prognosis?
I'm not saying he's not telling the truth, but if you know he's a good guy, then great. But maybe get a second opinion first?

As for the Buick, it's likely to be a great car and has the LT1 IIRC.
You'll get about 18mpg avg.
The price is excellent.

I guess it comes down to whether your present car (???) is really done for, or not, and if you will be well served year round with a big RWD V8 station wagon that gets pretty bad MPG. It likely WILL be a good strong reliable car though...Buick typically stands out well in that regard.

Douglas in CT
12-16-2007, 11:41
Yes, I trust my mechanic.
Besides, there is a list of other things are also falling apart on my car.

A/C - gone last 4 years.

Heater core is leaking a little bit.

I suspect a head gasket leak due to sludge in the radiator and overflow vessel.

Driver's side window and Left Rear Passenger window motors are shot.

Rear window wiper motor is shot.

Minor front end accident has shorted out the high beam on one of the headlamps and is next to impossible to re-aim.

Engine oil disappears at speeds over 50 mph.

Body frame is rotting around the bottom of one of the rear passenger doors

Car has always scared me in snow/slush conditions.

With 170,000 miles, this whee/sub-frame problem is the last nail in the coffin for my 1993 Saturn SW2.:upeyes:

IslandHopper
12-16-2007, 12:26
All are fixable problems, but if you pay someone ELSE to do it, it'll cost well over $3000 :)
Even doing that yourself is gonna cost more than $1000 + your time/frustration.

SOUNDS like changing cars is the right choice for YOU.

As for that big Buick, there's no reason a well-maintained LT1 engine shouldn't run well over 200k miles. And with regards to gas prices... well the money you save buying a cheap used car will go a long way towards offsetting the mpg cost incurred by not buying an expensive/newer/economy car.

Berto
12-16-2007, 18:37
Oh yeah, get the Buick then. :)

Bill D
12-16-2007, 20:20
How ironic. I was going to suggest an early model SL2 or SW2. We have 2 92 SL2 and my 93 SW2 in the family. We change the oil every 3000 miles and add 1 qt towards the end. Factory maintenance program. Tires, brakes, batteries, belts, and 1 water pump among the three.150-300,00 miles!
I'm betting a lot of your problems are from snow and ice road salts!
$2000-3000 in Atlanta.

aaronrkelly
12-16-2007, 20:48
Thats probably a good price on that car....but is that the best car for you. What do you use a car for? What do you need?

In 2004 I bought a 2002 Kia Rio with 24K miles on it. It had warranty for 5 years or 60K miles and I paid $3500. I paid for a 2 year old car with warranty what your getting ready to pay for a 12 year old car with over 100K on it. It gets 35mpg unless you have the air on.

I have about 71K on that car to date with no serious issues.

Yeah, I know "but its a Kia" - it gets me where I need to go, cheaply and thought I would throw it out there since you were already driving a foreign car anyways.