Gunshop question [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Gunshop question

FMI
12-17-2007, 21:16
I'm opening a sporting goods store in my town... well when ever we can get the building finished. Once I get my FFL in hand I can have my account opened with RSR, Davidson, etc. The thing I am having a problem locating is a distributor for surplus. Stuff like AK parts kits, surplus ammo, ammo cans, etc. Any leads would be greatly appreciated.

captyg76
12-19-2007, 05:27
You might consider carrying a good stock of Glock spares purchased directly from Glock with OMB's Express Police Supply as an alternate source and if you are in Duval County, FL and want someone to install those spares for your customers, drop me a PM.

FMI
12-19-2007, 10:10
I' planning on carrying an nventory of spae parts for Glock and some other hand guns. I did no know that OMB sold to dealers. I'l see about givingthem a call and opening an account. My shop is going to be about 2.5-3hours west of you in Duval. If you were closer I would consider taking you up on that offer.

cyrsequipment
12-30-2007, 10:07
I'm opening a sporting goods store in my town... well when ever we can get the building finished. Once I get my FFL in hand I can have my account opened with RSR, Davidson, etc. The thing I am having a problem locating is a distributor for surplus. Stuff like AK parts kits, surplus ammo, ammo cans, etc. Any leads would be greatly appreciated.

I used to have a shop... will have one again when I get a chance to move.

Numrich sells parts, but their prices stink unless you spend a LOT of time looking their website.

Century Arms sells kits, usually the cheapest especially if you buy in quantity.

SARCO has incredible deals on different things but it comes in spurts so keep watching the website (I built custom 1911s for $300 my cost from their parts, and was able to sell them for $600 each and I couldn't keep up with the demand). SARCO customer service is also really good... when you can get someone to answer the phone, but thye are usually very busy and will get back to you ASAP.

Aim surplus, Ohio Gun works, the dealer warehouse, jg sales all have good deals from time to time on used stuff.

Do NOT buy anything from JoeKen, I tried to buy 4 AR lowers from them and they didn't deliver and it took me 6 months to get my money back from them.

357sig glock
01-01-2008, 16:45
what part of florida i need a job :wavey:

firefighterlee
01-27-2008, 20:31

hey im actually thinking of opening a firearms store in my area, its just in the thinking stage but im pretty set on the idea, any advice. i know nothing about the permits i need, or anything about opening one up any advice would help.

BAT GUN
02-06-2008, 12:09
Zoning is the first issue

Then the town PD will have to sign off on the permit to sell pistols.
Being a FIrefighter, that shouldn't be problem.

Most distributors will require a cash or COD account no matter what for 6 months to a year at least.

It's hard to get the full discount with out large orders, Benelli wants $15,000 min order, Beretta $20,000 min order, Kimber $15,000 and so on.

Starting inventory is tough and plan on being able to sit on a lot of stuff if you are going the full blown store route.

It's tough, little mark up on firearms, ammo goes up twice a month, insurance, financing, etc.

This comes from experince starting a newer shop

NOCM
02-09-2008, 03:11
The DMRO (Defense Management Resourse Office IIRC) on every military base has autcions for surplus equipment all the time. You can pick up ammo cans, cammies, m-16 parts, etc for pennies on the dollar. Search google for government surplus auctions and I'm sure you have a couple bases nearby. The only problem with this is that you will most likely get a LOT of whatever you are bidding on. It will be like 2 pallets of ammo cans or 1000lbs of assorted camo. That being said, if you get 2 pallets of ammo cans for $500 and can sell them each for $10, you'll make a tidy profit.

Here's a bit of un-asked for advice from a guy who watched his father open a store and have to close it shortly later...

Ask all your questions AND GET THE ANSWERS before you open the store. Do not wait until you have rent/mortgage, bills and employees to pay before you have suppliers lined up, capital to purchase goods and little free time to get these answers. Folks I have talked to that have opened up their own stores say that it is like having two full time jobs if you do it right and have the right mentality.

Good Luck!

Skintop911
02-09-2008, 10:03
The DMRO (Defense Management Resourse Office IIRC) on every military base has autcions for surplus equipment all the time. You can pick up ammo cans, cammies, m-16 parts,

Defense Reutilization and Marketing Service
http://www.drms.dla.mil/

Lots of changes in the last ten years.

M16 parts (subject to definition), and a laundry list of other demil items, are not available to the public.