SCUBA accident protocol [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : SCUBA accident protocol

D25
12-18-2007, 13:10
Does anyone out there have a good SCUBA accident/ injury protocol that they would be willing to share with me? We are in the process of revising our outdated protocols and I'm having a very hard time putting this one together. Thanks in advance.

TraumaOne
12-18-2007, 20:51
If you anticipate pulling divers from overhead environments, I wholly suggest joining these guys/gals. Best in the Biz in my opinion as far as rescue and recovery in overhead.

www.IUCRR.ORG

Personally, with your basic low-level dive stuff being handled by local LE/FD divers and having these guys doing the trickier stuff, you will be covered. Well covered.

dan1leg
12-19-2007, 17:50
There really isn't a whole lot to do in as far as treatment goes, it's mainely supportive measures and monitoring. The high lest level of conern is being familiar with where your hyperbaric chambers are located and how to quickly move the patient directly to them(air/ground), maybe even having a agrement with the center on how they will accept your patient.

I worked on a helo for a number of year and most public safety dive teams had an agreement with the nearest hyperbaric center. We flew several over the years, thankfully none to serious.

You may look on the PADI web site, or do a literature search for current treatment protocols.

Hope some of the Above is helpful.

Take Care,

DAN

TraumaOne
12-19-2007, 19:12
Oh yeah....

Another good resource is Divers Alert Network aka DAN (I wonder what made me think of that?:))

http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/

D25
12-19-2007, 20:58
Wow! The IUCRR site is some pretty crazy stuff. I need to talk to those guys.

I appreciate the ideas, and have looked at/ spoke with the guys at PADI and DAN, have agreements with 2 hyperbaric chamber facilities, and know in my head how to treat a dive emergency. I'm just having trouble, as a PADI rescue diver and a SAR diver, "dumbing down" (I hate using that phrase) what I have in my head so that a non-diver paramedic or RN can understand the pathophysiology.

By the way Dan, did you have altitude restrictions when you flew someone to a hyperbaric?

Thanks again.

DTD2
12-19-2007, 23:04
E-mail me at ddetkowski@lakegenevafire.org and I will send you our SOG's and medical checklist/evaluation sheets for prehospital providers.

dan1leg
12-20-2007, 06:10
Thankfully most everything down here was max of 40 minute flight times. Protocol was to fly as low as safely possible, but usually that means we were below 2000 asl.Not much consideration for atomospheric pressure changes are required at this altitude. Most helicopter services are capable at flying roughly 500-800 agl. I understand it is more of an issue in fixed wing transports and those of long duration.

DAN

D25
12-20-2007, 23:57
Thanks for the responses. Almost done with this little project!

TraumaOne
12-21-2007, 00:27
D25,
IUCRR has their **** wired tight, as it should be. I recommend an email to the Safety Officer in your region. You can then persue IUCRR training and some great networking for your dept.

EDITTED TO ADD: YOU SHOULD NEVER HAVE TO "DUMB DOWN" YOUR REPORT TO ANOTHER MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL IN THE FIELD. IF THE TEAMS ARE POSSIBLY GOING TO TAKE A TRIP TO THE CHAMBER, THEY BEST KNOW THE GAMEPLAN AS WELL AS YOU DO, IF NOT BETTER.