where to live near FT Lewis, WA? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : where to live near FT Lewis, WA?

livegrenades
12-21-2007, 14:51
I accepted a civilian job on post so I'll be working there soon after all the background checks etc.
I'm looking for a small apartment in a decent area close to base (within 15 miles). Where's a good area to start looking? Lacey, Lakewood? Just need a 1 bedroom or studio apt/condo hopefully less than $700 month in fairly crime-free area.

Spike89
12-21-2007, 18:42
Seems like Lakewood was always featured on "Cops".

The farther north you go from base the worse the traffic gets. I lived in Lacey until I was 11 and it wasn't bad 30 years ago, but things could be different. It is definitely growing, heck they just got a new Cabela's store 2 weeks ago!

I grew up in Tumwater (just south of Lacey) which is about a 20 minute commute to Ft Lewis if I recall.

You might check out Dupont, which is just a couple minutes south of base. New community that sprang up centered around an Intel chip plant, which I'm not sure is even operating now. Might have better luck finding a newer apartment there.

SIGSAREBETTER
12-21-2007, 21:48
Stay the HELL out of Lakewood. Many people like University Place....I do not, and I lived there for a few years. Fircrest and North Tacoma are both VERY nice areas, and in Pierce Co. I'd look at them first. Avoid South and West Tacoma, and FOR SURE avoid East Tacoma.

KG Dad
12-22-2007, 23:39
DuPont is across I-5 from post and you could run, bike, drive over. Might cost a bit more. Steilacoom (Still-uh-coom) might be a good place for decent cost. My cousin lived in Lacey for a while and had a 20 minutes drive. Main gate at Lewis is mile post 120; DuPont is 119; Madigan is 122 or 123. Traffic to the main gate can be a bear in the morning, but DuPont usually flows. I drive from Portland, so I've never tried the Madigan side, except to sneak in during a traffic jam from Guard post (Camp Murray). There is an area near McChord that is quite rough but then Uncle Sam pays E1-4 squat. Just don't sign a 1 year lease unless you really like the place.

I'm there 1x/month, but I drive up from Oregon.

Washington's a shall issue state, btw.

Want more tips or getting the runaround, drop a PM.

WSUXJer
12-26-2007, 10:42
I live in Spanaway, work on post. Commute is about 15 minutes to the Log Center gate.

G20-IWB24/7
12-27-2007, 19:47
University Place, North Tacoma, Fircrest and Steilacoom. Everywhere else kinda sucks. As far as south of the Fort, I don't really know, because I've never lived in Thurston County.