Anyone Writing A Novel? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Writing A Novel?

Scarecrow28
12-22-2007, 14:17
Is anyone here writing a novel? I've been writing and re-working the plotlines for mine for the past few months and finally got started on the rough draft. I'm about 30 pages in and going strong. If you are writing a novel, how far are you and how long have you been working on it?

Sgt. Rambo
12-25-2007, 09:17
Hey Scarecrow, I've just released my first novel, "Crossing the Line" and am 65,000 words into the sequel "Holding the Line" both are border war/invasion novels. Never thought I'd ever write a novel let alone get published. I fell in love with reading several years ago and that led into the writing. I did a private security job during Hurricane Katrina and wanted to write that experience but would have to change too many names to protect the guilt...lol Anyone who is writing or wants to write....DO IT!!! It is theraputic to me and a stress reliever. My book is doing well and will be released nationwide in January 15, 2008. Some of the GTers here have bought it and some others from other gun forums. Keep writing and don't quit. Just a note, a great book that I highly recommend and use often is Bob Mayer's "The Novel Writers Toolkit" He wrote the Area 51 series under a pen name. Good stuff. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year, may it be a good one!

JonasinMacon
12-26-2007, 04:42
About to start on one with my bud for the last 10 years. He's self published one already, at least self-financed one. Cost him $564.00 he said, and he's sold about 1000 copies thus far. Not Oprah Book Club material, at least not yet.

Me personally, I've been wanting to write a novel for the last 10 or so years. Love to write in general, but never put it into novel form. As soon as he and I agree on subject matter, we put it into form, with an expected write-time of 1 year.

Good luck, and keep us all informed...

ArodJohns
12-26-2007, 06:22
I don't know if you'd call it writing a novel, but I've got one that's about 15 pages and growing so far.

It's kind of out there, and while I find it interesting and a pretty good story line I doubt anyone else will.:crying:

Green_Manelishi
12-27-2007, 15:36
Mine is more like a novella around 30000 words. The very rough draft has been read by a retired english teacher who liked the story.

aroller
12-31-2007, 14:30
I've been working on several different projects.. one of my main problems is focus. I get so excited about things that I get going & slowly loose steam.
I've been writing since grade school.. first started out about lil short stories containing crushes I had on people, the actors.. next it moved on from there.
One of my favorite things to do is take a dream that I've had & expand upon that..
What type of story are you going with?

Sgt. Rambo
12-31-2007, 14:42
I've been working on several different projects.. one of my main problems is focus. I get so excited about things that I get going & slowly loose steam.
I've been writing since grade school.. first started out about lil short stories containing crushes I had on people, the actors.. next it moved on from there.
One of my favorite things to do is take a dream that I've had & expand upon that..
What type of story are you going with?

I took a real situation; the border problem and added fiction to it, a "What if" scenario and went with that. Publisher loved it and while it's fiction it asks some very important questions. It also deals with how individuals would react in those situations. i like to write with a "regular guy/girl" perspective that people can relate too. I unfortunately can't relate to SEALS and superheros so I go with what I know.

STAY FOCUSED....it's my problem too. Enjoy your writing whether you plan on getting published or not but most of all enjoy it. All the best

silentpoet
01-02-2008, 19:55
I've got the overall story arc in my head. I need to get the outline/section sheets done so I can have a framework to throw my words at. I can write very well when I have a format to fit my work into, I just can't sit down and write like Stephen King says he does.

Robalero
01-03-2008, 10:41
Sgt Rambo,
Released a novel? That's great. What publisher is gun friendly out there. I have a short novel finished, around 36,000 words, and am currently working on two others.

Any advice on getting my first one published?

Robalero

Sgt. Rambo
01-03-2008, 11:10
Sgt Rambo,
Released a novel? That's great. What publisher is gun friendly out there. I have a short novel finished, around 36,000 words, and am currently working on two others.

Any advice on getting my first one published?

Robalero

Good call and yes there are plenty of gun parts in it. I went through Tate Publishing which specializes in first time authors. Company owner is a Vietnam Combat Marine Veteran. They accept about 10,000 manuscripts a year but only approve about 400. It's a Christian owned company but don't let that scare or discourage anyone. I had someone pre-edit it before I submitted it. They still found a TON of mistakes...lol

Advice on getting published.. Believe in your work!!! Believe that your book is more than good enough. Be persistent and don't quit, I am not a typical story as I was published on my first attempt with my first book....Anyone will tell you that is NOT typical. Keep at it and keep writing for the sake of writing.

rhikdavis
01-03-2008, 12:27
Lately I've been hanging out at a site called www.fanfiction.net
People take their favorite movies, shows, books, and just write their own stories using those characters....quite interesting.

Scarecrow28
01-05-2008, 09:49
I'm taking a brief break (no more than a week) from writing to recuperate from furioisly typing and editing the 1st and 2nd chapter. In a little over 2 weeks, I cranked out nearly 40 pages, so I need a little while to cool off and get the creative juices flowing again. I'm still writing up concepts for other chapters so that when I get further into the story, I'll know what I'm doing next.

Robalero
01-06-2008, 08:56
IMO, if you're cranking up the stuff and it's coming out, just continue adding chapters, edit later, it's the creative stuff that needs no rest.

I finsished my first novel in about three and half weeks, it took me about six months to edit all forty two chapters.

I have two more that are not finished, I was writing them both simultaneously, and worked on that project for almost six months, then I took a break cuz I was feeling burnt out, that was almost a year ago. Juices, are kinda funny, sometimes they simmer, sometimes they overflow, sometimes they just fizzle out. Careful with them.

Good Luck

Robalero

Scarecrow28
01-08-2008, 17:45
I've reached the 3rd chapter, observing the actions of one of the primary protagonists as they learn of the 1st chapters events. My plan is to finish all 3 chapters and edit them thoughoughly to make sure they're the best they can possibly be before carrying on with the story.

One quick questions: what formatting do you use for your writing? I had it set in size 11-12 in double space. Should I keep it double spaced so its easier to read of downsize it?

Robalero
01-09-2008, 19:03
I use twelve point in a Courier Font.

Good Luck to you,

Robalero

bubllehead
01-10-2008, 13:06
I'm working on a sciefi story with lots of gun play. It's extremely slow going but I have time on my hands. I was about to work on it a little when I saw this thread. See how that goes.

Baen is pretty gun friendly I thinck and maybe Pier.