thinking about OC [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : thinking about OC

GlockNC19
12-23-2007, 21:42
so im thinking about OC in Greensboro NC until i can get my CCP, things just keep getting worse in Greensboro, a bunch of crimes happening and people getting robbed and killed all the time, plus i have been cut before by a guy with no reason, its kind of scary for me at times. as long as i abide by laws, do u think i will have any kind of problems with OC?

davis513
12-24-2007, 05:02
You shouldn't as long as you follow state law. I wouldn't bring OC to a gunfight or knife fight :-). Also... OC has the uncanny ability when depolyed of getting in "everyone's eyes" even the good guys :-)

NC General Statute 14‑401.6. Unlawful to possess, etc., tear gas except for certain purposes.

(a) It is unlawful for any person, firm, corporation or association to possess, use, store, sell, or transport within the State of North Carolina, any form of that type of gas generally known as "tear gas," or any container or device for holding or releasing that gas; except this section does not apply to the possession, use, storage, sale or transportation of that gas or any container or device for holding or releasing that gas:

(1) By officers and enlisted personnel of the armed forces of the United States or this State while in the discharge of their official duties and acting under orders requiring them to carry arms or weapons;

(2) By or for any governmental agency for official use of the agency;

(3) By or for county, municipal or State law‑enforcement officers in the discharge of their official duties;

(4) By or for security guards registered under Chapter 74C of the General Statutes, company police officers commissioned under Chapter 74E of the General Statutes, or campus police officers commissioned under Chapter 74G of the General Statutes provided they are on duty and have received training according to standards prescribed by the State Bureau of Investigation;

(5) For bona fide scientific, educational, or industrial purposes;

(6) In safes, vaults, and depositories, as a means or protection against robbery;

(7) For use in the home for protection and elsewhere by individuals, who have not been convicted of a felony, for self‑defense purposes only, as long as the capacity of any:

a. Tear gas device or container does not exceed 150 cubic centimeters,

b. Tear gas cartridge or shell does not exceed 50 cubic centimeters, and

c. Tear gas device or container does not have the capability of discharging any cartridge, shell, or container larger than 50 cubic centimeters.

(b) Violation of this section is a Class 2 misdemeanor.

(c) Tear gas for the purpose of this section shall mean any solid, liquid or gaseous substance or combinations thereof which will, upon dispersion in the atmosphere, cause tears in the eyes, burning of the skin, coughing, difficulty in breathing or any one or more of these reactions and which will not cause permanent damage to the human body, and the substance and container or device is designed, manufactured, and intended to be used as tear gas. (1951, c. 592; 1969, c. 1224, s. 8; 1977, c. 126; 1979, c. 661; 1983, c. 794, s. 9; 1991 (Reg. Sess., 1992), c. 1043, s. 2; 1993, c. 151, s. 1; c. 539, s. 276; 1994, Ex. Sess., c. 24, s. 14(c); 2005‑231, s. 10.)

GlockNC19
12-24-2007, 08:05
i guess i should have been more specific! lol sorry!! i was actually talking about Open Carry of my glock. that would be intense if it came down to it though!! that was some interesting text.

Bosko
12-24-2007, 09:17
Sir, I rarely venture my opinion in open forums, but I feel I must chime in about Open Carry, which is legal in North Carolina. There is a state statute which prescribes criminal penalties for "Going Armed To The Terror of the Populace - Misdemeanor". While open carry is sometimes still seen today in rural areas where people know one another, carrying openly amongst the sheeple now populating metropolitan Greensboro, High Point, and Winston-Salem would, in all probability, result in their crashing the telephone bank at 911, a SWAT call out, and the rapid introduction of your nose to the pavement by said SWAT. Worse, carrying openly would expose you and your handgun to all and sundry and make you a target for the MS-13 types currently infesting Greensboro. I am surprised that your Carry Concealed - Handgun Instructor did not cover this. Until you have your concealed carry permit, I would suggest that you follow the advice of Mr. Myagi in "The Karate Kid". When asked if there was such a thing as the ultimate defensive move (or something like that), Mr. Myagi replied, "No Be There". Barring this, may I refer you the Kimber LifeAct Guardian Angel (not a plug) as an alternative and then as a backup to your concealed handgun http://www.life-act.com

Good Luck in obtaining your CHP. I read that it takes a while in Guilford County.

GlockNC19
12-24-2007, 11:29
thanks for the advice makes total since..
i was thinking maybe it would make me an open target for gangs.. or others that have no meaning for they're life..
and also i havent taken the CCP class yet, there is a wait until Feb 23 which is when i will take it.

Bosko
12-24-2007, 13:29
GlockNC19, As of last Friday, there were three seats left for a CC-H class on January 26 at Triad Gun Source and Indoor Range in Rural Hall (8:30 AM - 6:00 PM). If you are interested, telephone them on Wednesday at 336-969-GUNS to confirm. If a seat is available and you are interested, high tail it on over (11 AM - 7 PM) with $75.00. You will have to fill out some papers (waivers, etc.) and take a 10 minute Range Safety Test (open book).

For the course, you will need a ball cap, tight-necked shirt (to avoid the hot brass dance), 50 rounds of ammunition, and a spare magazine for the reloading drill (10 rounds in 20 seconds). If you have a revolver, you may use a speed loader, speed strip, or reload from a pocket during the reloading drill. The entire course is shot from the ready position. I discourage handguns of less than .380 ACP but I cannot prohibit .22LR revolvers or semi-automatic pistols. I discourage laser sights, unless your handgun came with them and you not have stock grips. Eye and hearing protection will be furnished if you not have a personal set.

The range is located off Exit 118 from US 52 North from Winston-Salem. Exit onto Hwy 65 East and turn right into the Village Square Shopping Center. Look for the range next to Tractor Supply.

arj
12-24-2007, 13:35
HEY, i'll be at that class on the 26th!! I still have to come in for the range test, maybe this week i can get that done. I CANT WAIT!

GlockNC19
12-24-2007, 13:38
well i will say i am interested, but im kind of new in the shooting sport, will they teach me all i need to know, such as "ready position"? which im sure its not too complicated, also how far do u have to shoot? and another thing that caught my eye, u said a ball cap? what is the purpose for this?
and being rural hall is in forsyth county will this have any affect on me getting my permit living in guilford county?

Bosko
12-24-2007, 13:43
Remember, there were three seats left as of Friday but I am told that Saturday and Sunday were crazy so telephone early Wednesday (11 AM). We don't have any dates yet for February. We are waiting to see if the other instructor will be available in February.

GLOCKMASTER
12-24-2007, 17:39
You shouldn't as long as you follow state law. I wouldn't bring OC to a gunfight or knife fight :-). Also... OC has the uncanny ability when depolyed of getting in "everyone's eyes" even the good guys :-)

NC General Statute 14‑401.6. Unlawful to possess, etc., tear gas except for certain purposes.

(a) It is unlawful for any person, firm, corporation or association to possess, use, store, sell, or transport within the State of North Carolina, any form of that type of gas generally known as "tear gas," or any container or device for holding or releasing that gas; except this section does not apply to the possession, use, storage, sale or transportation of that gas or any container or device for holding or releasing that gas:

(1) By officers and enlisted personnel of the armed forces of the United States or this State while in the discharge of their official duties and acting under orders requiring them to carry arms or weapons;

(2) By or for any governmental agency for official use of the agency;

(3) By or for county, municipal or State law‑enforcement officers in the discharge of their official duties;

(4) By or for security guards registered under Chapter 74C of the General Statutes, company police officers commissioned under Chapter 74E of the General Statutes, or campus police officers commissioned under Chapter 74G of the General Statutes provided they are on duty and have received training according to standards prescribed by the State Bureau of Investigation;

(5) For bona fide scientific, educational, or industrial purposes;

(6) In safes, vaults, and depositories, as a means or protection against robbery;

(7) For use in the home for protection and elsewhere by individuals, who have not been convicted of a felony, for self‑defense purposes only, as long as the capacity of any:

a. Tear gas device or container does not exceed 150 cubic centimeters,

b. Tear gas cartridge or shell does not exceed 50 cubic centimeters, and

c. Tear gas device or container does not have the capability of discharging any cartridge, shell, or container larger than 50 cubic centimeters.

(b) Violation of this section is a Class 2 misdemeanor.

(c) Tear gas for the purpose of this section shall mean any solid, liquid or gaseous substance or combinations thereof which will, upon dispersion in the atmosphere, cause tears in the eyes, burning of the skin, coughing, difficulty in breathing or any one or more of these reactions and which will not cause permanent damage to the human body, and the substance and container or device is designed, manufactured, and intended to be used as tear gas. (1951, c. 592; 1969, c. 1224, s. 8; 1977, c. 126; 1979, c. 661; 1983, c. 794, s. 9; 1991 (Reg. Sess., 1992), c. 1043, s. 2; 1993, c. 151, s. 1; c. 539, s. 276; 1994, Ex. Sess., c. 24, s. 14(c); 2005‑231, s. 10.)

OC is not considered tear gas.....:upeyes:

davis513
12-24-2007, 23:06
OC is not considered tear gas.....:upeyes:

Is that a question or a statement? I realized after the original poster's second message that he was talking about "Open carry" and not "oleoresin capsicum" my bad; however, with regards to "oleoresin capsicum"... If it's a statement... I disagree based on:

(c) Tear gas for the purpose of this section shall mean any solid, liquid or gaseous substance or combinations thereof which will, upon dispersion in the atmosphere, cause tears in the eyes, burning of the skin, coughing, difficulty in breathing or any one or more of these reactions and which will not cause permanent damage to the human body, and the substance and container or device is designed, manufactured, and intended to be used as tear gas.

Bosko
12-25-2007, 04:00
GlockNC19, Between now and January 26, practice your basic marksmanship fundamentals: grip, stance, sight alignment/sight picture, trigger control, follow through, breath control, and shooting rhythm. You should also be completely familiar with operation of your handgun, to include clearing malfunctions. If these topics are unfamiliar to you, you might seek out an NRA Basic Pistol Course first. Some schools require applicants to attend the Basic Pistol Course as a precursor to the CC-H Course. We offer that course, but at present have no dates set for February and beyond.

In the CC-H course offered at Triad Gun Source, applicants shoot to qualify to attend the course the first thing in the morning. It would be a waste of money to sit through 8.5 hours of class and then not be able to qualify. To qualify, you must have 35 hits (70%) anywhere on a B-27 target. Disregard the scoring rings. Of course it's always better to try to at least keep all hits within the 8 ring.

As mandated by the state, applicants shoot from 7 yards, 5 yards, 3 yards. We go to 7 yards again (reloading drill) for a total of 50 rounds. While this is not a "run and gun" course, it is a step up from the Basic Pistol Course. I recommend a tight-necked t-shirt and a billed (baseball-type) cap. Applicants shoot from within a lane that has partitions separating them from the adjoining lanes. Hot brass, ejected from semi-automatic pistols, has a tendency to bounce back upon the shooter after striking the partition. Hot brass has been known to lodge itself between shooting glasses and eye lid (hence the cap) and sometimes go down the shooter's shirt, hence the term "hot brass dance".

Ready Position: bring the handgun to eye level. You will notice that you cannot see the entire target. While maintaining a locked-out firing position, lower the handgun until you can see the target's "hands". Take your finger out of the trigger guard and place it alongside the frame (receiver) of the pistol. That is the ready position, also known as the Universal Cover Mode. "In God we trust, all others we watch their hands". Eyes don't kill you, hands do.

You can take the CC-H course anywhere. You take your certificate of completion to the Sheriff of the county in which you reside.

Got to go feed The Wife's horses and miniature donkeys. There are no holidays. Merry Christmas anyway.