Ccw? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Ccw?

ContractSoldier
12-26-2007, 00:00
I'm going to get my CCW permit at http://ohioguntraining.com/ and I was wondering If anyone here who has a Ohio CCW permit can give me any advice that will help me out here when go take the course?.

Is the test open book or If not, what should I study to pass the test?. Also what do you have to do shooting wise and how can I practice for the test?.

Linda
12-26-2007, 06:11
Don't stress over the course! No, there is nothing to study for. I've instructed hundreds of students and never had one fail the open book test.

As I tell all of our students at the beginning of our class, the only stupid guestion is the guestion that is never asked. So ask, if something isn't clear.

We have attorney Ken Hanson come in to our classes to give a law presentation. Few instructors have an attorney come in for the class. Ken is by far the best gun rights attorney in Ohio, and is also Buckeye Firearms legislative chair.

ContractSoldier
12-26-2007, 11:30
Thanks for the reply. Can you advise of what do I have to do shooting wise, how far are the target's away?.

Hask12
12-26-2007, 16:09
If you are taking the NRA basic pistol course, one of the required courses to get your license, then the target will only be 15ft away. You will need to place 3 sets of 5 rounds, each set of 5 must be within 9" of each other. Take my word for it, incredibly easy. Just relax and enjoy the class. This is not Einstein stuff.
You'll pass.

Linda
12-26-2007, 21:01
Yep, Hask is right. And generally that is with .22's. Depends how your instructor does his class. We all do them different, I'm sure. Hopefully, you will progress up through higher calibers before the end of range time.

You seem very tense about taking this class. Chill! You're not getting a lobotomy, just a gunoptomy!:aodnsb:

ContractSoldier
12-27-2007, 03:07
Thanks for all the reply's. I'm not tense about taking the course, I just want to know what's all needed to be done In order to pass.

Hask12
12-27-2007, 05:15
The written portion of the test will cover basic pistol information, and does not cover concealed carry. In other words you will not be ask questions regarding Ohio's concealed carry law. Instead you will be asked basic questions regarding handguns, like how to handle a gun safely, how to aim a gun, which sight do you focus on, etc. This stuff you will go over in class over and over again so that when it comes to the test you'll have no problems answering everything correctly.

joedoc
12-30-2007, 18:36
the shooting portion of the test was really quite a lot of fun.
in addition to standard aimed shots, our instructor had us shoot off hand, do a bit of point shooting, and other things that one might not regularly practice.
we used a standard blue torso target, and, like you, I was nervous about it so I practiced quite a lot beforehand.
I used my glock 19 incidentally

Brian@ITC
01-23-2008, 10:51
Sometimes stress is a good thing. Overall, the course is a piece of cake. However, most people we have taught do stress during the shooting portion of the course regardless of how much they have shot in the past. The main reason is because of "ego" and because they don't know what to expect.

The course is a BASIC course! Depending upon the instructor, and I know from observing Linda's class, as well as with ours, that we incoporate SOME movement into the training so you get exposure to SLOW movement. But, don't expect that from everyone. We have people shoot from 21 feet at a 9 inch paper plate on a cardboard target. We do require people to get 21 out of 30 shots on the paper plates because WE want to feel confident about your ability to shoot. After all, you are applying for a CCW permit! And we are putting our name behind that certification!!!

DOA33
01-23-2008, 12:57
the course is very easy and the test is asking alot about gun safty and some range safty. Had my teacher get on me since he told everyone to take the book home and study (this class was over a 2 day period) I didn't, but I did score the highest in the class. 98% I think.:supergrin: Just have fun with the class and ask questions if you have any.

J_86
01-30-2008, 16:04
When are you taking the class?
I just called and they still have spots open for the class this Saturday so I will be taking it then. My local range has a 4-6 week wait for the class.:upeyes: