Becoming A Home FFL [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Becoming A Home FFL

ghent
12-27-2007, 05:53
As soon as the holiday's are over I've got to check with City Hall to ensure that I'm not breaking any local ordinances by doing so (already checked with KSP and was told that as long as my city government doesn't care I'm in the clear), and then I'm mailing the paper work and check off to the ATF to get my FFL. Anyone ever been through this process and have any tips on making the process easier? Anybody know of any good wholesale distributors? I'll strictly be running this from my basement (so no serious overhead costs), and I'm not looking to get rich or even make this my full time job (just looking to make enough money to support my own costly firearms habit) so I'll be doing business on the cheap. I'm thinking cost+$30 for my troubles. I'll keep you guys posted as I go through the process and I'll be sure to let you know when/if I get approved for the license and get to start business. Any tips/info will be greatly appreciated.

P.S. I live in Clark County/Winchester if anyone is interested, or already trying to figure out how far they'll have to drive.

Blaker
12-27-2007, 10:10
I know nothing about being a dealer, although I will give you a little advice.

I would offer 15 dollar transfers. This way you are cheaper than all local gun stores, plus you only have to do some paperwork. It would easily be worth your time, and once the word gets out you would get most of the business in your area.

Bren
12-27-2007, 14:45
I got my FFL in 1990 and it was a whole different world then - I just sent in my application and got the license back in 45 days. I let it expire in 1996 and recently thought about getting it again, but it looks like too much BS - including the requirement to have your licensed premises open to the public during certain hours.

U1121
12-27-2007, 18:13
I had an FFL a few years ago (when it cost $30 for 3 year renewal). Then under the Clinton Administration it went up to $90 for renewal.

Please take note that if you list your home as your licensed business, you agree to allow BATFE to come into your home to inspect your records and your firearms (particularly those listed on your Bound Book). Agents were generally nice, but I have been told that they can come whenever they want, not just the times that you have listed as business hours.

Also, IIRC, don't they require a picture of your store front with the application?

U1121

cwshootersupply
12-27-2007, 18:22
Done that home FFl now I have a commerical office space. As a side BATFE also likes for you to have security ie alarm, gun safes , locking cables etc.

Get your bound book on computer if you do alot of sales and transfers.

I have been a FFL for twenty four years and it is a rewarding job:wow::whistling:

Especially gunsmithing for pay............

ghent
01-07-2008, 11:49
Thanks for all the tips/info. After a couple of weeks spent researching and more than a few phone calls to check up on local ordinances I've narrowed it down to filling out one form at city hall, paying a $90 business permit fee, and then starting through the gauntlet of paper work with ATF. I'll be sure to update again when I get the license.

Thanks again.