I just want to say this [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : I just want to say this

gwalchmai
12-27-2007, 14:56
I give Eric a ration of poop occasionally, and for the most part he ignores it. But I get the feeling that some of my comments about the recent popup ads may have struck a nerve that I didn't really mean to do.

So let me say publicly, Eric, I think you're doing a great job and I really appreciate all the hard work you put in keeping this place going. And I have no illusions that I could do anywhere near as well.

Thanks,
gwalchmai

12-27-2007, 18:47
I give Eric a ration of poop occasionally, and for the most part he ignores it. But I get the feeling that some of my comments about the recent popup ads may have struck a nerve that I didn't really mean to do.

So let me say publicly, Eric, I think you're doing a great job and I really appreciate all the hard work you put in keeping this place going. And I have no illusions that I could do anywhere near as well.

Thanks,
gwalchmai
Whew! Almost banned.:supergrin::tongueout:

gwalchmai
12-27-2007, 18:57
Whew! Almost banned.:supergrin::tongueout: :rofl:

HerrGlock
12-27-2007, 19:58
I was hoping I wasn't one of the jerks. That white square was a pain but the balloon things were rather ignorable otherwise.

MB-G26
12-27-2007, 20:40
I hope my ActiveExloit gripe/question wasn't taken the wrong way, as well. Given that we were asked for feedback and the ActiveX thing was a new occurrance, I thought it might be connected w/the experimental ad thing - but wasn't sure.

In any event, whatever Eric decides he needs to do, I'm on board.....but I sure am glad the ActiveX thingie seemed to disappear. That non-disableable constant warning popup, courtesy of MicroSNOT, is a royal PITA.

Eric
12-27-2007, 21:28
I hope my ActiveExloit gripe/question wasn't taken the wrong way, as well. Given that we were asked for feedback and the ActiveX thing was a new occurrance, I thought it might be connected w/the experimental ad thing - but wasn't sure.

In any event, whatever Eric decides he needs to do, I'm on board.....but I sure am glad the ActiveX thingie seemed to disappear. That non-disableable constant warning popup, courtesy of MicroSNOT, is a royal PITA.

I've tried to explain to you a bit about Active-X, in the past. It isn't a boogieman. It is an extremely useful system and it is possible to allow sites you trust to utilize its functions (It is actually a collection of functions) without compromising your security or having to deal with a bunch of warnings.

BTW gwalchmai, those were not pop-ups. That is a completely different animal.

I haven't given up on this idea. In fact, the company in question emailed me today and assured me that they had moved me to a channel with family-friendly content. I am going to give this some thought before I try to test it again. I know that there will be people resistant to just about any change I am likely to make. BELIEVE ME, I know. I am going to try my best to find a patch that the maximum number of people can live with. I need people to meet me halfway though. Eric

mike253
01-03-2008, 16:04
Any sort of "served" ad content has a GREAT potential for trouble (at least from the companies that would serve content to firearms related sites). I'm sure the company sounds great and so on and so forth, but the plain and simple fact is this: If they're serving ad content to firearms related sites, at least some of their clients are most certainly going to be "shady" at best.

Basically, GT isn't viewed as "premium exposure" by a lot of the content serving companies, therefore, the people that will spend advertising dollars with those companies may be "less than family oriented". Sure, you can block the ads once they're shown (usually) but it may be to late as some of them are known to install various "stuff" as well as presenting "not work friendly" material.

IMHO, as someone who has dealt with content serving as an admin, an advertiser, and a customer, you'd be well "served" to avoid any sort of ad material that you do not have complete, absolute, and total control over.