Why do training missions drag ass but the real deal is actually fun? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Why do training missions drag ass but the real deal is actually fun?

Hal9mm
12-27-2007, 17:33
Is it just me? Is it just that we do so much unrealistic training that when you are actually doing a mission you are so buzzed to be doing a real mission you enjoy it?

And how about going through a School, damn its like time froze itself?

Crusher47
12-28-2007, 09:30
I hear ya, I hated the whole "hurry up and wait" deal

fourdeuce2
12-28-2007, 14:50
They have an old saying about that, "You sweat in training so you don't bleed in combat.":faint:

GermanyBound
12-29-2007, 15:07
Training missions drag on because you know that no matter what, everyone is coming home safe at the end. Worst case scenario is spending 24 hours in the "dead tent".

A real mission flies by because of the adrenaline rush, anticipation of contact (small arms or IED), and the feeling that you're actually "accomplishing" something.

That's how I feel anyways. YMMV.....

h2co3
12-31-2007, 23:45
Thats funny, I feel the same way. The real thing really makes you feel alive though doesn't it? Does for me at least.

steelvipersedg
01-01-2008, 02:18
It is all about the adrenaline, that is why after a deployment the sales of motorcycles goes up. And soldiers are always doing stupid/ dangerous things. Your body gets addicted to the adrenaline dump.

GermanyBound
01-01-2008, 02:36
Thats funny, I feel the same way. The real thing really makes you feel alive though doesn't it? Does for me at least.

yeah, the real thing makes you feel really alive. i was on a dismount patrol when an IED went off around 10 meters from me. thankfully, the main force of the explosion went straight up instead of sideways. i woke up off the road in a field, reassembled with my other guys, and checked for injuries.

once we figured out everyone was ok, the big grins and laughter started. our medic was in the back of the bradley when it happened and as the ramp dropped he thought he was going to be picking up bloody jam from everywhere. he still doesn't understand how we come running back up laughing our asses off after that.

you're never as alive as you are after almost dieing!:shocked:

h2co3
01-01-2008, 08:47
Thats awesome. Its funny, but I find myself laughing at all my near death experiences after the fact.

I'll never forget my first room clearing experience (we were knocking on peoples doors asking for weapons, it was pretty stupid). I knock on the door, end up kicking it in and as I turn the corner a bullet has to go whizzing by my head. It was funny but I kind of froze that time as my buddy came in and took care of business. I laugh at that to this day. I can only imagine the look on my face when that happened.

Ah, good times.

datruth
01-01-2008, 12:29
I was deployed with a transportation group, and on the road a lot, training not nearly the same , it was more of when you were going to get hit not if, I was nervous the entire time I was over there, I think it keep me alert, but trianing was a pain, but not as much of a pain as it would have been t lose a battles life or my own , I take training seriously because to much could go wrong , but you cant train for everything, our SOP and ROE's changed several times over there but we had a smart group over there, for the most part. thank full to be back and dreading the time I have to go again, but take it in stride:cool: training it matters