mountain lion [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : mountain lion

mpol777
05-17-2002, 03:15
i've never hunted coyote before and want to get started on my scouting and practice my calling. i've heard that mountain lion and black bear, which are in the area, will sometimes come in to wounded animal calls. black bear don't worry me, but the big cats kinda freak me out. i want to make sure i'm ready since they are know to sneak up on a person.

i carry an 06 with iron sights for scouting, but would i be better off with a 12ga and 00buck for lion?

i've never seen a mtn lion up close and i'm not sure how they act.

mhambi
05-17-2002, 03:35
Mountain lions are spooky. I'd stick with the '06. More than likely by the time you saw the cat you wouldn't want to be wasting time switching from your 'varmint' gun to the 12 ga. Remember the 21' foot rule? For a big cat that's a small pounce. Spooky

sooner pete
05-17-2002, 06:30
There's a mating pair of black panthers that the game wardens been trying to catch in southern oklahoma. they attacted a woman in her car. they have had several spotting,but no luck on capture yet.I'd love to help track and help with the capture,but thats a fat chance of that happening.

Catchlevi
05-17-2002, 06:51
went hiking here in colorado and kept feeling like I was being watched, turned around occasionally and kept seeing movement and couldn't figure out what it was. Got out into and open field and scanned the treeline I had just left and could just make out the mountain lion pacing back and forth on the trail. He'd been following me...most likely just curious but spooky as hell. Needless to say I took a different route home. I'd be worried even with the 12 ga.

smeet5150
05-17-2002, 09:35
set up a perimeter of claymore mines when you stop to do your calling!;I

Mwinter
05-17-2002, 10:39
Mountain lions, leopards, and jaguars are deceptively strong and much more efficient predators, pound for pound, than any bear. They are extremely quiet and (thankfully) often reclusive.
I work at the local zoo and one of our jaguars (smaller than most cougars actually) had a mangled front paw, and even with the bandages and the limp could still jump 30ft.
The very best medicine is knowing your animals and how to avoid them and lessen the danger of attack. Plenty of great print and Net resources on good tips for predator country.
They are much more thin-skinned and less heavily built than even a small bear, but still present a fast-moving jumble of angled bone and dense muscle during an attack.
Mhambi hit it on the head....if you rely on a firearm, a 12ga ideally would be the better gun (used for leopards in Africa... but an -06 will work great and you probably won't have the time or clear head to make a switch. I'd find a good tough .30-06 round (FailSafe, Grand Slam, Barnes-X) that hits where you want at a distance, and use it for el coyote AND to make you feel safer 'round cats and bears.

WalterGA
05-17-2002, 11:46
Mountain lions are sneaky guys. They aren't as tough as bears, however, and can easily be killed with many handgun rounds. JR, of Lonewolf Distributors, e-mailed me some pics of a hugh lion that he dropped with his G21, configured for .40 Super. I'm pretty sure that he was shooting 135gr. factory loads. He shot through a four-inch hardwood limb and dropped the lion with one shot.

Lots of mountain lions have been taken with .22 l.r. (Not that I'd recommend that as a preferred round.)

TheSniper
05-17-2002, 12:07
I'd like to see those if you still have them.;f ;c

tjpet
05-17-2002, 13:20
Friends that run lions with dogs consider the .22 mag to be about the ideal cat round. Although full of fight when going to tree they do tend to fold up pretty easy when solidly hit, even with small calibers.

hunter66
05-17-2002, 13:30
!2 gauge with with two deer slugs followed by two 00Buck (depending on how many you can hold) and a 10 mm or .357 mag on the hip. If that doesn't work, try a hand grenade and a missle launcher. Or really sack up and take a .50 caliber Hawkins muzzle loader

WalterGA
05-17-2002, 14:58
"I'd like to see those if you still have them"

Back when he sent 'em to me, I didn't know how to post a pic here on GT, so I e-mailed them to another member and he posted them. You might be able to find them by a search. If not, I'm sure JR would e-mail them to you. (I deleted my copies long ago.)

shrpshtr
05-18-2002, 13:44
i haven't had any experience with mountain lions but i have had a cougar experience and a couple of bobcat dealings. i will say this. you won't know they are there until it is too late (in most cases). i would recommend staying elevated if possible. if you are ground hunting, sit against something wider than your body so you don't have to watch behind you as much. the wider the backdrop the better. definitely have a good pistol with you because if a cat does attack you probably won't be able to get a long gun up in time for a good shot. i have read several articles about big cats and the main thing they all had in common was to fight back as hard as you can. they are unlike bears that will typically leave you for dead after you stop fighting. cats will usually immediately start feeding on you after the kill. at least with a pistol you could do something close range.

WalterGA
05-18-2002, 15:08
Cougars and mountain lions are the same animals.

hunter66
05-19-2002, 03:45
Last summer, one of my neighbors when outside to see what his dog was barking at and to his dismay finds a mountain lion ...(see-Cougar) stalking his beagle. Not a gun owner, (can you believe that one) so he gets the dog inside and calls animal control. Well for some reason, the were just around the block from his house, and they come over and shoot the big girl with some kind of dart gun that drugs the animal. This cat weighs 160lbs and had come down from the foothills because she is hungry. Only going to get worse around here with all the fires and no rain since can't remember when.

Grumpy Gardener
05-19-2002, 04:30
this may be obvious but I'll add it to the thread. Be attentive of your winds as you travel. I guess that goes with out saying but I had'nt seen it in the thread.

I travel with a shoulder holster in the backcountry. Cats go for the rear of the neck. Probably roll ya before you get a shot off. I constantly check my 6 when I'm backcountry as that's the direction they'll be coming from.

Gardener

Quake Guy
05-20-2002, 14:59
If you are hunting by yourself, a handgun is the way to go since the first sign of a cat nearby may be one on your back. Especially if you are in the prone position waiting for a coyote to come in.

Otherwise, with a buddy nearby armed with anything greater than an airrifle, I wouldn't worry. The sound of a gunshot will probably cause it to run away...

fajizzle nizzle
05-20-2002, 19:35
Originally posted by shrpshtr
i haven't had any experience with mountain lions but i have had a cougar experience and a couple of bobcat dealings.

Hey now. Don't go clouding the mountain lion issue with stories about cougars.

sooner pete
05-20-2002, 23:21
Mountain lions,cougars,pumas.panthers are all the same cat,just different names.

Grumpy Gardener
05-22-2002, 00:58
I know a fellow in Carson City that was screwing around on Prison Hill with a buddy of his. Turns out his buddy decides to poke his head in a hole that had some strange sounds. He peeks in and the next thing he knows momma cat had jumped on his back guarding the den that he just stuck his nose into. From what I get of the story she pretty much shredded his Levi jacket and still managed to rip about 4 nice gashes in his back side. Lucky guy really seeing how the cat got off of him and stood them both down. Tall tale I know, but figured I'd share it nonetheless.

Gardener

hagar
05-22-2002, 04:27
I normally use my electronic call when I hunt coyotes in areas where mountain lions might be found. We have a guy in our varmint calling club that has a nice scar on his cheek where a lion whacked him. He was sitting with his back to a tree and the lion crept up to him from behind, reached areound the tree and smacked him. Fortunately it then took off. But the most scary thing out there, and more likely to bite you than anything else, is the gray fox. And that means rabies shots.

badbilly429
05-22-2002, 04:49
i would stick with the .06 also, and make sure your carrying your glock on your hip no less than a .45

DAVEKO
05-25-2002, 10:52
While going hunting for deer two years back, I happen to be sitting in a tree stand with nothing but a bow and a mountian lion came out of a cane thicket and walked toward me following a large creek (I stayed there for a long time untill I knew that buggggger was gone.) A couple of weeks after that a hay cutter saw one in the same field but a slightly diff. color. I hear these things have like a 23 mile range? don't know for sure but thats a mighty big kitty roaming a rather large area. We can not hunt them here, but to be honest, I really would prefer not to hunt montian lions anyway, I don't like being the hunted that much ;f, or even watched by one.....;f

WalterGA
05-29-2002, 07:48
I found the e-mail with the pic of JR and the big cat. I don't have a clue how to post a picture. If anybody'd like to post the pic, I'll be happy to e-mail it to you.

TheSniper
05-29-2002, 08:35
Sure,send it over.

mpol777
05-29-2002, 08:38
i'd like to see it too.

mhambi
05-29-2002, 09:09
me too. TIA walterGA

WalterGA
05-29-2002, 09:23
I sent an e-mail, through GT (which doesn't give me your e-mail address any longer) to TheSniper, yesterday, but haven't had a reply. I have to have your e-mail address in order to forward the e-mail from JR.

mpol777
05-29-2002, 09:50
walter,

send it over to me at mpollack3@hotmail.com and i'll post it in the thread so you don't have to send out a hundred emails.

WalterGA
05-29-2002, 10:49
Thanks, mpol: e-mail with pic sent.

mpol777
05-29-2002, 11:03
yowsa. hopefully something this big doesn't come sneaking up on me.

thanks for the pic walter

WalterGA
05-29-2002, 11:11
Thanks much! JR's the one with the white shirt.

TheSniper
05-29-2002, 15:28
Hey sorry about that Walter,I dont check my email as often as I should.Cool pic BTW!;f ;c

sooner pete
05-29-2002, 15:50
Nice Cat,has any one seen the Cougar thats stuffed in the lodge at royal gourge Colo? Thanks for the picture Walter.