My worst and best hunting memory [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : My worst and best hunting memory

hunter66
05-17-2002, 03:42
My most memorable memory is not a good one, but here it goes. Me and two friends were hunting near my hometown of Sherrard, IL. We were a few miles away from any homes or anything hunting some draws and corn fields for pheasant when I see me dad and my friends dad walking towards us on the other side of the field. Neither are carrying guns, so it hits me that they are looking for us which is something that had never happened before. I immeditely get a knot in the pit of my stomach because I know something is very wrong with this picture. When they finally reach us, my dad puts his arm around me and tells me that my new puppy had been run over and killed. To make matters worse, my dad witnessed the lady hit the dog and then proceed to speed away. I was crushed, and just felt like my best friend had died. I was 13 years old.

My best memory was my first cock pheasant taken with my new Winchester 1200 20 gauge. I was 12 years old.

duncan
05-17-2002, 04:08
Some people just are immoral and selfish.

Most people have a conscience and would stop and apologize.

shrpshtr
05-18-2002, 13:54
i know how close a dog can get to his owner. i couldn't imagine something happening to my buddy.

it kills me that POS woman just sped away. i wonder how she would like it if someone ran over one of her kids and/or pets and just took off.

Kilgor
05-19-2002, 02:43
Of course she should stop, but she has nothing to apologize for. It's up to owners to control thier animals. I hit a dog a year ago and it did $1600 worth of damage to my car. The owner's homeowners insurance paid for the damage.

PACKIN' PLASTIC
05-19-2002, 03:51
Kilgor,

Even if she could not have done better and stopped it from happening, it is proper to apologize.

PP

Kilgor
05-19-2002, 07:05
I don't think we will agree here. An apology is appropriatly given when the person has done something wrong. She should apologize for driving off, but not for the actual collision. I realize this issue is clouded because a young boy lost his puppy and we can all identify with that. It is a shame a young boy lost his dog in such a manner.

Kilgor

podwich
05-19-2002, 07:29
Is it not possible to express sorrow for another's loss while not claiming responsiblity for that loss? For example, if another's parent were to be hurt or die and you were to hear about it, what would your response be? I often say, "I'm sorry." That doesn't mean I was responsible for the loss.

PACKIN' PLASTIC
05-19-2002, 07:47
Podwich has the idea.

PP:)

Kilgor
05-19-2002, 09:04
Yes, that's definately possible. Good point. :)

shrpshtr
05-19-2002, 12:07
kilgor, i certainly understand your point. however, we don't know the exact details of the collision. for all we know, she could have been putting on makeup and veered off of the road. if it was in fact the dog ran out in the street, it probably wasn't avoidable. but the same can be said for someone's child. if you were to run a child over, surely you would stop and apologize regardless of fault. and typically, whether or not you were "at fault" you would certainly be held responsible by law enforcement. in most cases, not all, collisions with animals, etc. can be avoided by a driver's cautious actions while driving where there is a potential of danger. i.e. a neighborhood, school zone, etc. i know that doesn't sound like the case here but i hope you understand what i am trying to get across.

Kilgor
05-19-2002, 14:29
Ok, ok, ok...

We don't know the circumstances and it is possible, though unlikely, that the woman veered off the road and hit the dog in it's own yard. At which point she's responsible for all damage done.

Hitting a child is one of the worst things I can imagine, however if I broke no laws I would would hopefully not be held responsible by law enforcement. I stop no matter what I hit and I would profusely apologize (for what little good it would do) if I hit a persons child (I see Podwich's point).

shrpshtr, I get the point you are trying to get across, but think you're also grasping at straws to find a situation where it wasn't the dog owners responsibility... ;)

Kilgor

Kilgor
05-19-2002, 14:59
BTW, I think I've pulled this thread very far off of its intended topic. I guess you were looking for us to share good and bad hunting experiences??

I'll go. I don't have any bad hunting experiences and every experience in the field is a memorable experience. I'll share my most recent.

This last season in early November I spent 4 days straight in the forest, deer hunting. While there I got to spend hours watching chipmunks playing and gray squirrels digging for buried nuts and boy do they sound like a deer picking its way along through the forest. ;f I watched a box turtle slowly make his way across the forest floor plowing a trail through the dry leaves as he went. I watched woodpeckers hop along nearby tree trunks and batter their way into the wood in search of a tasty meal. I had crows and buzzards fly just above the treetops above me. There was a herd of 4-5 doe jog through the forest brush about 100 yards just BEHIND me. I could see them, but no shot presented itself. I had (at different times) a yearling spike and a yearling three pointer come and browse just under my stand for 15-20 minutes at a time. They are gorgeous animals. None of these animals even suspected I was there, very cool. Not even the seven pointer that came by at a brisk walk at 50 yards knew I was there until my muzzleloader roared. I saw him explode out of the smoke cloud, run for about 40 yards and stop. Then he stood there and did a backflip flatfooted. He never moved after that bit of acrobatics. I waited for 20 minutes or so and got down after reloading my muzzleloader. I approached him and it had been a solid double lung hit. I went back to my tree and packed my things up, hoisted my treestand onto my back and walked to him. I set my stuff down and went to work gutting him. While I worked on that I had 15-20 wild turkey hens walk within 30 FEET of me. I was wearing a blaze orange jacket and stocking cap at the time!!! I stood up and waved while hollering "Huahhhh" at them and they went crazy. They went in every direction while calling and alarming. They all grouped up and flew to the next ridge. I didn't know how fast and high turkeys could fly, VERY COOL. I've got a degree in poultry science and these birds are nothing like their domesticated brethren. After I gutted him I cut open his stomach as I usually do to get an idea of what they are eating. He had, get this, rice and peppers in there!!!! His stomach was a little bloated so I bet he wasn't feeling too well. I guess that someone had dumped dinner leftovers out at their deer camp and he browsed on it. I drug him about 3/4 of a mile across some seriously steep slopes to my truck and took him to the butchers. Excellent meat.

Kilgor