Move to Taylor / Simpsonville, SC ...?'s [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Move to Taylor / Simpsonville, SC ...?'s

1999Cobra
01-01-2008, 13:35
Contemplating a move to the area stated in the title. Anyone, that lives there chime in and tell me why I will like it...???

THANKS - and Happy New Year - :wavey:

Magicmanmb
01-01-2008, 14:42
Pepare for serious culture shock.

1999Cobra
01-01-2008, 20:37
Please explain a little more specifically ... THX

Hef
01-01-2008, 22:11
The deer are smaller. The fish are bigger. It only snows upstate, but mostly it just rains a lot. Mosquitoes and no-see-ums fly in huge swarms, and they'll bite you all damn day no matter how much bug spray you put on.

You can fry anything, and we do. About half of what gets fried is served with sausage gravy.

Our BBQ is mustard based. You put it on a pulled pork sandwich with pickles and (maybe) cole slaw.

If you can eat it, you can probably find somebody who likes to eat it pickled, and it will be on the counter next to the boiled peanuts.

You can get a good lunch and a drink for $7 at a gas station or a grocery store. That's why there are picnic tables by the front door.

We have neither vehicle inspections nor emissions testing. You buy it, register it, and drive it. Trailers don't get registered. Make sure the tires are good and the lights work and hook it up.

Nothing says "I'm not from here!" like a "Had Enough? Vote Democratic!" bumper sticker. Join the NRA (if you haven't already) and put that sticker on your vehicle instead. Grassroots Gunrights is another good group to be part of too.

The liquor stores close at 7PM. The bars have to stop serving liquor at 2AM, but they can stay open to serve beer and wine as long as they like, except on Saturday nights (Sunday AM really), when they have to close at 1AM, if they didn't pay extra for the permit to close at 2AM.

You can't open carry if you aren't an LEO, and you can't carry in any place that serves alcohol. You don't need any sort of permit to buy a gun here, nor to keep it/carry it in your home or fixed place of business. You can also keep it in your vehicle's glove box or center console without a permit.

Everybody waves. It doesn't matter if they know you or not. Smile and wave back.

"Lemme hold a dollar" means they want to borrow some money.

"A couple three" means a few.

Learn the local history before you ask Civil War questions.

There are two kinds of people in South Carolina - Gamecock fans and Clemson fans. They share one thing in common - they both hate UGA.

We don't have basements in our houses, but many have couches on their porches.

Magicmanmb
01-02-2008, 08:10
Also forgot to tell them about the war of northern agression

8 hour course for CCW

you mentioned mustard base sauce but you forgot it has to be Piggy Park (Maurices)

Also don't expect a union (bad word)
Workers Compensation Board for on the job injury is to protect the employer.

SC is a right to work state (the employer has the right to fire you at any time no cause or reason needed)

Wages are 50% below national average

SC Schools rank below Mississippi and Louisiana.
and being upstate sweet tea means a little tea with your sugar.

If someone invites you to a pig picking expect a whole pig to be on the grill and you pick off of it.

Don't ever tell any one how they did it up north likely response wil be I-95 runs both ways.

Hef
01-02-2008, 08:34

8 hour course for CCW

you mentioned mustard base sauce but you forgot it has to be Piggy Park (Maurices)

SC is a right to work state (the employer has the right to fire you at any time no cause or reason needed)

If someone invites you to a pig picking expect a whole pig to be on the grill and you pick off of it.

Don't ever tell any one how they did it up north likely response wil be I-95 runs both ways.

Yeah man, you got that right. :supergrin:

1999Cobra
01-02-2008, 13:39
Am I to interpret your post as a disgruntled SC resident :crying: - Or are you just joshing ...:cool:

8 hour course for CCW

Hef
01-02-2008, 14:48
Am I to interpret your post as a disgruntled SC resident :crying: - Or are you just joshing ...:cool:

Nahh. He's just telling you like it is. This place is great. I wouldn't want to live anywhere else.

Magicmanmb
01-02-2008, 15:02
Nahh. He's just telling you like it is. This place is great. I wouldn't want to live anywhere else.

It is the truth. But I am moving back north can't afford to keep paying taxes here at the beach. Also my insurance has more than qadrupled this year. Average wage in Horry County is $6.00 average rent is $800.00. The hispanics are now having a hard time finding work. At least since there illegal they can't get unemployment.

Hef
01-02-2008, 15:55
It is the truth. But I am moving back north can't afford to keep paying taxes here at the beach. Also my insurance has more than qadrupled this year. Average wage in Horry County is $6.00 average rent is $800.00. The hispanics are now having a hard time finding work. At least since there illegal they can't get unemployment.

Beaufort County has had it's share of the illegal alien invasion, but we've taken steps to boot them out. The job market is still in decent shape here, and the housing market has taken much less of a hit than other areas. I'm making a good living and I love where I live.

Magicmanmb
01-03-2008, 14:05
Beaufort County has had it's share of the illegal alien invasion, but we've taken steps to boot them out. The job market is still in decent shape here, and the housing market has taken much less of a hit than other areas. I'm making a good living and I love where I live.

Wish our county council had the guts to move them along, our housing market is super expensive here. Majority of the jobs are retail and if you go in one of the 3 malls in the area you see a lot of empty space. To give you an idea the hotel I just took medical retirement from rooms start at $185.00 off season, during the season $375.00 a night + 11 1/2% tax. Upstate is good to live just don't plan on spending a lot of time at the beach. If you do, go towards hilton head. The other night some geniuses broke into the Hell's Angels clubhouse. Our crime rate in Horry County is one of the highest in the nation per capita. They say its based on the tourist figures but being former LE down here I still hear things that don't make the newspaper.

1999Cobra
01-03-2008, 15:12
Magic - I just sent you a PM

MitchbSC
01-05-2008, 21:59
What we save in property taxes vs. other states, SC takes back in car taxes. Gotta' pay the car tax to the county before you can register the car ... to the tune of several hundred dollars for recent model cars.

You can be a Gamecocks fan. You can be a Tigers fan. But never both.

Don't run your mouth about the Civil War. Somebody standing nearby had a family home flattened by Sherman.

SC "Republicans" are actually conservative Democrats, if not Mitt-lovin' RINOs. The SC Senate has never seen a dollar it can't spend or a right they cannot restrict.

Been here 10 years. Had opportunities to move elsewhere. Could never justify it. Couldn't face sitting in traffic in Atlanta. :)