Cougar in SW Ohio [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Cougar in SW Ohio

joedoc
01-01-2008, 21:25
Has anyone here heard about cougar sightings in western cinti---Delhi area?
I have heard rumblings about evidence of cougar presence in eastern US, but
my sister is adamant that her friend had a cougar in their delhi backyard few weeks ago.
There was a large animal in their tree---
The owner called police, who were too late to see anything, but later an expert from the zoo told them the gashes on the tree and prints pointed to a cougar.
Now, this info is coming to me second-hand, but I wondered if anyone here has heard similiar stories.

glockess56
01-01-2008, 22:51
There was rumors of a lion in Gahanna, Ohio at one time.

RWBlue
01-02-2008, 01:53
I haven't heard anything recently about western Ohio.

I did see what I think was a large yellowish cat (yes it was the right color, I have seen a bobcat up close.) in southeast Ohio many years ago. It was 800+ yards away across an old strip mine. At the time I was sure it was a big cat, but after all the years and no one else seeing it..... I question if it was a mountain lion, bobcat, or just a large yellow cat.

firedog978
01-02-2008, 05:31
I live in Delhi and haven't heard (or seen) anything. I've lived here almost 30 years.

joedoc
01-02-2008, 19:57
Firedog---supposedly the sighting was near the "farm" on anderson ferry.
I will try to confirm this, as I spend a lot of time in the summer biking on trails through the woods, and have not been carrying up till now---this may change that.
By the way, do you know any Delhi cops that you might ask?
As it turns out I know a fellow who works at the cat house at the zoo---I will ask if he knows anything about this.

firedog978
01-03-2008, 12:59
joedoc,

I live only a few blocks from 'The Farm'. There are some moderate sized patches of woods (1 to 10 acres) in that immediate section. I know a guy who hunts a private estate (20 acres) real close to there. In this area the homes are surrounding those patches of woods so close and numerous that I can't imagine there wouldn't be many sightings if it were true. The deer are numerous but much easier meals for a large cat would be the family pets that also abound. Nobody I know has lost an animal in that manner.

I actually do know a few of the Delhi LEO's and many of the Cincinnati LEO's that patrol the section bordering the township lines. None of them have indicated any large cat reports to me.

You never know though, so I'll ask the next time I see them, if they have heard anything. But, I'm just as likely to be told to go home and sleep it off. :supergrin:

Here's a Google Earth picture of the area ('The Farm' is in the extreme lower right corner).

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh245/Firedog978/GoogleEarth_Image.jpg

Swanny
01-04-2008, 15:50
I've seen a few "cougars" in bars in Cincinnati.

CSnakes
01-04-2008, 16:07
http://www.buckeyepower.com/cl/upload/pg_137.pdf

I saw this and thought you may be interested. I travel to OH for work and enjoy wildlife stories... Anything is possible!

Chad

OhioTodd
01-04-2008, 17:17
The last confirmed cougar sighting in Ohio was in the northeast part of the state, consisting of a female with two cubs. That was at least five years ago. However, there is confirmed evidence (sightings, as well as tracks) of bobcats returning to southwest Ohio. Tracks have recently been found along the Ohio River in Hamilton County. There was recently stories about this on WKRC, and the Dayton Daily News.

Todd

elderboy02
01-04-2008, 22:13
Well, when I venture over to Delhi, I will be sure to switch my G23 out for my G20. :rofl: Stupid cougars! :rofl:

method
01-04-2008, 22:49
I saw something odd when I drove a co-worker home one night, just after dusk, about 8 years ago. Driving up the road to the apartments he lived at, I caught the figure of an animal crossing in front of my car just beyond my headlights. It was the size of a large dog, but moving very much like a cat. This was at the bottom of Beechmont Avenue, just before the Levee, a pretty heavily wooded area bordering the Little Miami River.

Hunting in Pike County once, the guy I was with mentioned rumors of big cats in the area, as well as bear.

joedoc
01-06-2008, 21:50
well then, I suppose that I better start carrying when cycling on narrow paths through the woods. I have read a number of cases from out west where cougars have attacked hikers and cyclists.
maybe I'll get one of those fanny pack arrangements, unless I can find some kind of frame bag that will hold a j-frame or g-26 snugly.
so then the next question---is 38 +p, or 9 mm better for this kind of (admittedly unlikely) threat?
I don't have a 45 cal right now, though maybe I now have an excuse to get one.

Linda
01-07-2008, 07:09
well then, I suppose that I better start carrying when cycling on narrow paths through the woods.

Joe....dude....you should be carrying already when cycling on narrow paths through the woods. :dog: It's a dangerous world out there!!!
:wolf:

For your penitence, you shall rush to the gun store and buy yourself a nice sub compact in a .45 flavor and then report back to your friends at Glock Talk/Ohio.

Hurry up now....,

:2gun:

joedoc
01-07-2008, 10:58
punishment accepted

elderboy02
01-08-2008, 07:23
well then, I suppose that I better start carrying when cycling on narrow paths through the woods. I have read a number of cases from out west where cougars have attacked hikers and cyclists.
maybe I'll get one of those fanny pack arrangements, unless I can find some kind of frame bag that will hold a j-frame or g-26 snugly.
so then the next question---is 38 +p, or 9 mm better for this kind of (admittedly unlikely) threat?

Get a 10mm. 10mm is the best caliber for animals. Oh great, I just started a caliber war.

Linda
01-08-2008, 09:03
Get a 10mm. 10mm is the best caliber for animals. Oh great, I just started a caliber war.

Four legged or two legged???

Best to have a firearm that will serve the purpose for both!:tongueout:

WBL_MP9
01-08-2008, 10:41
I caught the figure of an animal crossing in front of my car just beyond my headlights. It was the size of a large dog, but moving very much like a cat. This was at the bottom of Beechmont Avenue, just before the Levee, a pretty heavily wooded area bordering the Little Miami River.

We live just up the hill off of Beechmont. I'm 85% sure we have a coyote in our little niche. Odd piles of p__p in the yard and the wifey just saw something this morning that freaked our pup out as they started to go outside. She said it looked like a dog, but had a 'fluffy' tail and was skinny looking.

WBL

method
01-08-2008, 11:55
There's certainly coyote and red fox in that area, but this looked bigger than that. This was the road back to Spindlehill, up behind the UDF.

elderboy02
01-08-2008, 13:07
Four legged or two legged???

Best to have a firearm that will serve the purpose for both!:tongueout:

Well, the 10mm takes care of whatever you need to take care of, both 2 legged and 4 legged. :rock:

joedoc
01-08-2008, 18:01
Well, all this talk has given me a hankering for a .45, despite (half-hearted) attempts to limit calibers.
So, I was wondering if any Ohio GTers have had experience with the XD 45.

Ghost361
01-08-2008, 21:52
Friend of mine used to be LEO in Beach City Ohio. There were several sightings there but it turned out to be a pet that kept getting loose.

colt_sniper
01-09-2008, 13:07
we were out coyote hunting around christmas in SW ohio, an called in 2 bobcats..... was tempting to drop one of them.... but that would be a big No-No , unless it attacked. then its "GAME ON!!!"

I would not doubt that the 4 legged cougars are making their way back into the area.. the 2 legged versions are all over the local bars!...lol!

colt!

SyLord
01-16-2008, 09:07
I live in the New Ricnmond area, near the River.

Working as night Security a few years back I swear I saw a Cougar walk about 100 yards from me across the lot of the industrial complex I was watching. This was a lit section between buildings, with lots of trees on both sides and a large pond in the direction it was going.

That morning I asked a few of the old timers that worked there and was told that someone near by had a few semi-trailers that they kept exotic animals in, and let them go before getting busted. I did read an article in the paper about it, so that much was true.

I have seen Coyotte, fox, and many other critters in my yard, and close to where I worked at the time.

I have a friends up the street with 77 acres that swears he saw a small bear in the back of his property while deer hunting. He can be a story teller, but he tells this story and swears it to be true.

Darrell

KnightOfTheOlde
01-19-2008, 09:51
I have seen Coyotte, Fox and all types of Varmits in urban area's of central Ohio and around Columbus. Used to see a lot of them including Coyotte around port Columbus. Much of that land has been recently clearded to make parking lots though. I thought I may have seen the Gahanna Lion but my Eyes were probally playing tricks on me.

KnightOfTheOlde
01-19-2008, 10:00
Well, all this talk has given me a hankering for a .45, despite (half-hearted) attempts to limit calibers.
So, I was wondering if any Ohio GTers have had experience with the XD 45.

I have an XD-45 Joe, Nice Handgun, reliable, accurate for a service firearm and fairly light. The grip is thin for a double stack 45 but a little long with the exception on the sub compact model which still feels the hand and can use full size magazines. It or a Glock 30 would be a great choice. Every American needs a .45 ACP.

10mm is a great choice and has superior ballistics. It is harder to shoot and ammo a little more difficult to find in a pinch, Walmart ect. Really any handgun is a poor choice for defense against dangerous game. But since carrying a rifle isn't practical. a handgun is what we must make do with. A 45 ACP loaded with hot 185 grain rounds will get close to the 10mm performance and still be a better choice for plinking and all around CCW.

joedoc
01-19-2008, 17:11
thank you sir. can you tell us about the "gahanna lion?' is this an urban legend, or what?

Timmer1
01-30-2008, 22:17
I swear I saw one approx 5 yrs. ago. I was going East on 74 from Indiana, It just west of the Harrison exit, standing high on top of the cut in the freeway on the north side of the road.