Member Post Counts Visible In Threads [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Member Post Counts Visible In Threads

Pages : [1] 2

Eric
01-06-2008, 13:28
Should members' post counts be visible under their names, when you view message threads? There are a couple of reasons why I think they shouldn't: Firstly, I think that when post count is visible, people put too much stock in it and it caused quite a bit of trouble when it was visible, in the past. Secondly, I will be adding the paid tier icons in that area this week and when I do, it is going to make that area take up a bit more space. Having the post count line gone would offset this somewhat. This will only be an issue on really short messages, where the user content on the left may be taller than the message content on the right, causing some dead space under the message.

The post count display in message threads has been turned off for years and no one seemed to miss it. When that feature came online, when I switched to vBulletin, it caused a lot of trouble. People were posting dozens of spam messages to pad their count and other foolishment was being caused by people attaching way too much importance to a simple statistic. I must admit though that since the upgrade, when the post count feature came back online, it doesn't seem to have caused any trouble. At this point, I am ambivalent on this subject. What does everyone think? Please feel free to post your comments on this issue here, in addition to voting. Eric

SeriousStudent
01-06-2008, 13:33
It doesn't really bother me either way. I would lean towards whatever is more efficient for the servers.

I have read posts from people with a low count that were brilliant, and posts from "founding members" that had me scratching my head. And vice versa. I consider the source, not their post count.

Have a good weekend, Eric.

heyTJ
01-06-2008, 13:34
I'll take the Mitt Romney approach, yes and no.

I do agree about taking stock in your total post count and spamming.

So get rid of it.

If you really care that much about someones post count just view their profile.

TJ

JimBianchi
01-06-2008, 13:42
I like the option of having the count visible.

If folks don't want it, they should be able to turn it off in their profile.

I know Eric could do that easily.

mitchshrader
01-06-2008, 13:44
downside variable but occasionally annoying as heck.

if i had a site with a similar number of users i'd default to KISS and take it off and discuss it no further. next issue.

can i wish for more archives than we have, in ANY format, in ANY fashion, chasing back into the dawn of history? specifically S&P which HURTS that's gone, and even a pay by megabit download of a text file would be amazingly juicy and wonderful and so happily received. tyvm for reading my wish list, santa, ;) ..

Eric
01-06-2008, 13:49
downside variable but occasionally annoying as heck.

if i had a site with a similar number of users i'd default to KISS and take it off and discuss it no further. next issue.

can i wish for more archives than we have, in ANY format, in ANY fashion, chasing back into the dawn of history? specifically S&P which HURTS that's gone, and even a pay by megabit download of a text file would be amazingly juicy and wonderful and so happily received. tyvm for reading my wish list, santa, ;) ..

I am guessing that you didn't read the 'The Purpose of This Forum' message, before participating.:supergrin: Please keep this on-topic. You are always welcome to PM suggestions to me. Eric

Sucka
01-06-2008, 13:50
As i've always said on other forums:

YOU ARE NOT YOUR POST COUNT.

Lee-online
01-06-2008, 13:54
I don't think post counts contribute anything to the forum. It doesn't show if a member is experienced, it just shows they post alot.
I say leave them off.

Glockdude1
01-06-2008, 13:55
I say leave the post count on the Profile page.

:supergrin:

itisbruno
01-06-2008, 13:55
IMHO, post content is more important than post count

Taps
01-06-2008, 14:04
I'm for quality over quantity. I really like not seeing those post counts on this forum!!

Nestor
01-06-2008, 14:19
Numbers don''t make the man.

Cclass
01-06-2008, 14:26
I prefer seeing the post count. It doesn't really bother me that it's gone, but I voted to keep it.

Mrs. VR
01-06-2008, 15:04
I prefer to NOT see it. Contrary to some beliefs, I don't check mine, EVER, and it makes me feel self conscious when people can see it. I already KNOW I post frequently,thank you verramush.:)

Glockdude1
01-06-2008, 15:12
Will the "Blog Entries" also go to the profile page?

d3athp3nguin
01-06-2008, 15:18
I vote to keep it off. It's like those forums or profile sites that award "exp" points for doing silly things like leaving comments and giving fake gifts. All it does is encourage people to post for posting's sake.

And like others have said, the less undue traffic on your servers, the better.

Gabrielle
01-06-2008, 15:34
The only time I have interest in post count is in the classified forums along with the seller's date of registration.

Sucka
01-06-2008, 15:42
The only time I have interest in post count is in the classified forums along with the seller's date of registration.

Good point.

Why don't we use a feedback system similar to say Heatware (http://heatware.com/eval.php?id=29214). I've been using it for several years on computer forums, and i'm sure something similar must exist for firearms/accessories listings? Just a thought.

da chef
01-06-2008, 15:48
i voted yes as i prefer to see the stat but i also believe there's no need for it. unfortunately all it takes is a minority of abusers to mess up a nice feature.

ax157
01-06-2008, 16:18
i voted yes as i prefer to see the stat but i also believe there's no need for it. unfortunately all it takes is a minority of abusers to mess up a nice feature.

I'm sorta where you are.

I go by quality and content of the post over post count. As does almost everyone else on this forum I would suspect.

But I still like casually seeing the post counts of various users.

BrianNH
01-06-2008, 16:26
I believe it serves NO useful purpose to displays ones post count.

Apparently there are some who put a lot of stock in this and I don’t know why. I believe it gives some a sense "putting their time in" with the site which often translates to attitude or a feeling of superiority. It also promotes and encourages post count whores and useless posts.

craig110
01-06-2008, 16:30
I vote to keep it off as it is meaningless. Someone with only 10 posts might be the world's expert in the particular topic and another person with 100,000 posts might not have a clue. Substance matters; not post count.

hokieglock
01-06-2008, 16:42
all post except ones in the ox and alex forum should count.:supergrin:

seriously, just because ted "hiccup" kennedy's been in govt for decades doesn't make him a good legislator. i voted no.

MB-G26
01-06-2008, 17:02
Secondly, I will be adding the paid tier icons in that area this week and when I do, it is going to make that area take up a bit more space. Having the post count line gone would offset this somewhat. This will only be an issue on really short messages, where the user content on the left may be taller than the message content on the right, causing some dead space under the message.

I really have never paid the whole 'post count' thing much mind. There have been a few times when I've used it, combined with a user's 'join date', in evaluating the content of a particular post. For example, when the user name has not seemed familiar and for whatever reason(s) their post was not one easily taken at face value or seemed questionable.

That said, if the post count doesn't display it's only one click away - in the user profile. Considering the format complication quoted above, I think it makes sense to not include a post count line in the display itself.

DWavs
01-06-2008, 17:04
I vote to keep it off.

freepatriot
01-06-2008, 17:14
As long as either join date OR post count remains visible, it's cool. I just like having the ability to see at a glance whether a user has been around long enough to earn some street cred :supergrin:

Hummer
01-06-2008, 17:35
With few exceptions (such as Herr Glock's news mining contributions and Dandapani's serial number research), the GT'ers who have very high post counts seem to be OAF'ers and nitwits who apparently view their post counts as a substitute for their lack of other, ahem.... mensural characteristics.

These individuals contribute very little to the forums.

Frivolous can be fun, I do come to Glock Talk for the humor; but also to learn from others, and to share what I know. I'm with those who believe that what a person says is more important than how loud or how many times they say it. Tweaking with success is sometimes a risk but I think GT would be better without counts displayed with each post. Keep it in the profile for those who need the exposure.

:cool:

true believer
01-06-2008, 17:44
i vote no...
:tongueout:
bob

mcmoyer
01-06-2008, 17:52
As long as either join date OR post count remains visible, it's cool. I just like having the ability to see at a glance whether a user has been around long enough to earn some street cred :supergrin:

Agreed...I pay much more attention to the person's join date & could care less about the number of posts they've racked up along the way.

I voted "no".

Eddie C.
01-06-2008, 17:53
It doesn't matter one way or the other. I like the join dates visible though.

Blinky
01-06-2008, 18:15
Yeah, I agree with keeping the dates visible. I voted no on the post counts.

PeterJasonMN
01-06-2008, 18:24
As I said in one of the other threads:

Is there a way to set it up in UserCP to either show post count OR contributor status?

And I voted for post count.

PeterJasonMN
01-06-2008, 18:26

And that's why I said post count.

Granted it's not an exact science, but if I'm dealing with someone on here and they've been on for years, but only have < 100 posts, I'd like to be able to see that right away. But if they're a n00b and have been just flooding the forums, it's nice to be able to see that right away.

And yes I do realize you can just look at their profile, but it's just easier :supergrin:

ChuteTheMall
01-06-2008, 19:10
pcipc :okie:

gwalchmai
01-06-2008, 19:20
I vote no post count, yes join date.

Having a big post count no more make someone credible than driving a big SUV makes them a big deal. Longevity, OTOH, means something.

tantrix
01-06-2008, 19:30
I vote no, mainly because of post whores. For example, people that answer 20 different threads with replies like "Yeah" every single day. No real input, and just takes up space on the server. Post counts being hidden is definitely a step in the right direction.

9jeeps
01-06-2008, 19:38
I've always avoided Forums with little flags/post counts.

Good grief! What are we? Third graders? Do we need gold, silver and copper stars at the tops of our Post?

Guess you know how I voted on this issue.

Now bout those Avatars...:rofl::wow::dunno: Yes I hide em

Blitzer
01-06-2008, 19:39
Yes for displaying the dates and no for the post counts.

oneofthose
01-06-2008, 19:47
I vote to show the date, not the post count.

Rocetmal
01-06-2008, 20:07
I have read posts from people with a low count that were brilliant, and posts from "founding members" that had me scratching my head. And vice versa. I consider the source, not their post count.

While that's true, in my experience as a forum goer i like seeing people with high post counts. Shows they are active, and GENERALLY educated. I say this as a low post-count person on GT, but higher/est on other forums.

Look at people like Butch. People may not believe his pro-GAP talk without his thousands of posts ;)

gruntmedik
01-06-2008, 20:09
Yep, leave the post count in the profile.

ki4dmh
01-06-2008, 20:18
I could care less

jhoagland
01-06-2008, 20:49
Eric prefers the space to be used for something else. That's good enough for me. I voted no.

Ron3
01-06-2008, 21:10
I like them.

It lets me know how much a person has interacted with others on here.

Not having to check the profile saves time.

Ron3

01-06-2008, 22:24
Voted no. Totally unimportant, to me.

Londo Mollari
01-06-2008, 22:43
You could always make it an option to display it from the User CP. I believe someone else suggested that. Of course, that is more programming work for you, I guess. Unless there are other GTers who help you with the site?

Mushinto
01-06-2008, 22:58
I can live without them. Join date is good enough to spot the FNGs.

ML

flynjump
01-06-2008, 23:32
I agree, post count doesn't indicate knowledge on any subject, so if it makes it easier for you Eric, I voted to leave them off.

Alan

SomeDay
01-07-2008, 01:25
Don't mind either way. I like seeing the post count, but it wouldn't bother me if it went back to the profile page.

Glolt20-91
01-07-2008, 01:26
I vote to keep it off as it is meaningless. Someone with only 10 posts might be the world's expert in the particular topic and another person with 100,000 posts might not have a clue. Substance matters; not post count.

Anyone with 100,000 posts on a forum has a far worse social life than I do. :supergrin:

I voted yes for a different reason. A poster with a high number count in a relatively short time gives the impression of someone who sits behind a computer and isn't out shooting or reloading; yet gets those quarter sized groups at 1,000yds with a .25acp. :faint:

Bob :cowboy:

Poppa Bear
01-07-2008, 01:53
Post count is OK, I like join date better. I tend to judge posts on their content. If I am interested in the posters credibility I have checked their profile for what they have posted on other threads. Posts per day makes a decent judge of activity also.

I voted No.

podwich
01-07-2008, 02:04
I prefer to see them, but I lived without them for a rather long time. I won't cry either way. :)

kirgi08
01-07-2008, 02:10
I voted to keep the count visible.If Eric needs the room take it all down,just leave the screen name.That way Eric has all the room to work he needs.Also we won't be overloading his servers and network.'08.

okie
01-07-2008, 03:25
I vote no:alex::supergrin:

9L82
01-07-2008, 07:46
I agree that join date is more important...does this post go towards my post count???

Wayne02
01-07-2008, 09:57
When that feature came online, when I switched to vBulletin, it caused a lot of trouble. People were posting dozens of spam messages to pad their count and other foolishment was being caused by people attaching way too much importance to a simple statistic. Eric
Yep, and this will happen again to be sure. The single best predictor of peoples future behavior is their past behavior. I find the whole post count thing to be very juvenile, and not a productive feature a mature, open, value-added online community.

Judge posters by the quality and character of their posts, not by some meaningless statistic, this is not the Jerry Springer show or Junior high school. We want an adult, mature, open, caring online society made up of high character, high compassion members, and post count has nothing to do with these characteristics.

RussP
01-07-2008, 11:03
No to post count... Please leave join date.

Mike2x
01-07-2008, 11:32
Post counts and join dates are valuable to give us an idea how much experience a poster has on GT. For instance, I just joined and have few posts. It doesn't affect the value of my post, but does give you a measure of my experience posting. Since the post counts are available in profiles though, I voted to hide them.(post counts) Does that sound contradictory?

Eric
01-07-2008, 11:59
Guys, I never said anything about taking the join date off. It is staying. The issue here is the post count. Eric

Hines57
01-07-2008, 13:36
Leave the post count on. That way we know that you can disregard the advice of the people with 15 or more posts a day, as they have no actual real world experiences to draw from.
Well, might listen to advice from them on carpal tunnel or bed sores on my behind.

rhikdavis
01-07-2008, 13:59
I voted no, but I really don't care. Whatever is best for the board is fine with me, since you asked. :supergrin:

People can periodically put their post count in their signatures manually, like a McDonald's sign:
"Over 50,000 served!!"

freakshow10mm
01-07-2008, 15:19
I prefer to NOT see it. Contrary to some beliefs, I don't check mine, EVER, and it makes me feel self conscious when people can see it. I already KNOW I post frequently,thank you verramush.:)

I just checked yours.:whistling: I'm impressed.:supergrin: Sorry someone had to.

Anyways, it doesn't bother me one way or the other. Sometimes nice to know at a quick glance whether someone is new or not. I usually hang out in GTR (Glocktalk Reloadign) and like to know when newbies are hanging out with us. I don't look at profiles much unless they are being a jerk or touting some sort of wisdom beyond our comprehension. They I might waste my time to look and see if they filled out any profile info to validate their posts.

Whichever suits GT the best.

gary newport
01-07-2008, 18:46
I like seeing both the post count AND join date. I don't have any interest in seeing BLOG counts.

r2kba
01-07-2008, 20:29
I like it listed.

It lets everyone know when the noob is in the room.:supergrin:

If your going to show the JOIN DATE, then show the post count also.

ki4dmh
01-07-2008, 21:25
It lets everyone know when the noob is in the room.:supergrin:

If your going to show the JOIN DATE, then show the post count also.
Which don't mean diddly squat. New or not somebody might just show up one day that knows something others don't.
Scott

DriBak
01-07-2008, 22:06
It's your sandbox, if you don't like it delete it :)

zoyter2
01-08-2008, 02:14
I like it in the thread, but if it is the least bit of trouble, I won't lose one second thought if it is not there.

RemSp10
01-08-2008, 02:59
Guys, I never said anything about taking the join date off. It is staying. The issue here is the post count. Eric

Just a reminder of what Eric posted !

I like it ,but can live without it. Just let the words of wisdom roll on
We don't need no post stinken count:rofl:

voodoomanx
01-08-2008, 07:17
I like it. But then again I'm a stat guy. I think its interesting to see who has written over 10,000 posts here.

I miss it already.

I'm pretty sure it was available in the last version of the forum as well. I remember being new and marveling at NYC Drew's, Okies, and Mrs. VR's loquaciousness.

lcarreau
01-08-2008, 10:23
I would like to see it displayed until the user passes about 100 posts or so.

lcarreau
01-08-2008, 10:26
Interesting that most of the folks that post in this thread, vote no, but the actual votre is much closer to even. This suggests to me that folks with higher post counts are less likely to want to wear it as a badge.

-Lonnie

Corntooth
01-08-2008, 13:24
IMP there is no value in post counts, it is all about quality not quantity!:nutcheck::nutcheck:

Corntooth
01-08-2008, 13:25
Interesting that most of the folks that post in this thread, vote no, but the actual votre is much closer to even. This suggests to me that folks with higher post counts are less likely to want to wear it as a badge.

-Lonnie

That is interesting logic, I am not sure I follow it however :dunno:

jdeere_man
01-08-2008, 14:41
I just like to be able to see at a quick glance for users that have a real low post count maybe less than 500 or 300 or something. I think it has some validity especially in WTS posts also when people post questions new people always ask. Everyone was new once, as was I not long ago. If not a post count, some way to distinguish low post counts. I know the join date is visible, but I like post count.

lcarreau
01-08-2008, 15:31
That is interesting logic, I am not sure I follow it however :dunno:

My point is that the folks who actually post here are kind of padding their post count. The folks that are voting to make it visible are not as likely to post in this thread, just vote.

-Lonnie

gary newport
01-08-2008, 15:33
My point is that the folks who actually post here are kind of padding their post count. The folks that are voting to make it visible are not as likely to post in this thread, just vote.

-Lonnie

Good point! (Add one to my post count.)

KIDCOP
01-08-2008, 18:45
I voted yes. I use it to see if a newbie is trolling. After about a 1000, I don't care much after that.

Big Deal
01-08-2008, 19:38
I say leave the post count on the Profile page.

:agree:

RonS
01-08-2008, 20:43
Date joined yes, post count no. It encourages spamming of posts to run up the body count and it puts volume over quality.

If somebody joined 3 days ago and posts an aggressive anti brand or issue post, yes I want to know their join date.

Reminds me of a saying that I like. "You say you have 20 years of experience. Do you, or do you have one year of experience repeated 20 times?"

I have no idea what my post count is and I really don't much care, my original user name is probably inactive or deleted or whatever happens to unused names anyway.

Rally Vincent
01-08-2008, 22:21
Man....hell no.
That just makes newbs wanna post more.

RemSp10
01-09-2008, 03:17
Man....hell no.
That just makes newbs wanna post more.

Oh oh

lcarreau
01-09-2008, 07:43
I voted yes. I use it to see if a newbie is trolling. After about a 1000, I don't care much after that.

1K is about where I set the bar too. I kinda figure a poster is a regular after that.

-Lonnie

Naptown34
01-09-2008, 11:09
I like the joined on date and post count...to see how long someone has been around.

zeppe807
01-09-2008, 12:03
I'm sorta where you are.

Originally Posted by da chef

I go by quality and content of the post over post count. As does almost everyone else on this forum I would suspect.

But I still like casually seeing the post counts of various users.

I like to see sometimes how long someone has been around and how many posts they have, that is, when I don't recognise the person. Although I also realize that it is not the amount, but the quality of the post!

gwalchmai
01-09-2008, 12:08
1K is about where I set the bar too. I kinda figure a poster is irregular after that.

I guess it depends on whether the poster has wireless or not...

BP44
01-09-2008, 14:47
:agree:

of course you do look at you join date:rofl::rofl::rofl:

RemSp10
01-09-2008, 16:33
Hey Eric
Just wondering how long the vote will go on before the plug is pulled ??:supergrin:
It is pretty close race

PawDog
01-09-2008, 17:08
No. Post counts serve no real purpose, other than some "bragging rights" for those who seem to need such for their ego.

lcarreau
01-09-2008, 18:02
No. Post counts serve no real purpose, other than some "bragging rights" for those who seem to need such for their ego.

And to identify folks who are new to the site or have little skin in the game.

9mm Luger
01-09-2008, 18:31
Keep it off, post count means nothing.

USMCsilver
01-09-2008, 19:45
No. Some people just like to watch how much fluff they fluff.

Phunahm
01-09-2008, 20:13
I for one hate it for 1 reason I run 2 forum sites and all the members worry about is post whoring "who gets the most"....leave it off IMHO

Timberwulf
01-09-2008, 21:56
1K is about where I set the bar too. I kinda figure a poster is a regular after that.

-Lonnie

hehe, of course last I looked I only had 400 someodd, but my join date is 2001. What does that make me?? ;)

I hadn't noticed it missing, could care less frankly. I use join date to figure out if the bugger is trolling or not.

Thanks for asking the question Ross, you're a class act. :)

pangris
01-09-2008, 22:47
Leave the post count on. That way we know that you can disregard the advice of the people with 15 or more posts a day, as they have no actual real world experiences to draw from.
Well, might listen to advice from them on carpal tunnel or bed sores on my behind.

"where angels fear to tread" :whistling:

As a mod, I prefer to be able to see post count at a glance - easier to ID brand spaking new troublemakers in the classifieds. I've run into a few OLD accounts with less than 10 posts.

wizard78
01-10-2008, 14:09
Post counters don't give any real indications of a members character. There are *******s that post a lot and *******s that post a little. (and vise versa)The only time it would matter is if you are doing a transaction with the person. If you don't take the time, then, to investigate the types of posts and feedback then you deserve what you get. The feedback thread is what counts.

RemSp10
01-10-2008, 14:50
As I read thru these posts, I see some pretty lame reasons why there should be or should not be post counts. Some of you have condoned new posters as you think they know nothing and have nothing to add, well it seems we all were first time and newbs at one time.
If i were a new person looking to join Glock Talk and ran accross this section ,believe me I would think twice before i joined.
So how about lighten up on new posters and new members. You have no idea of the kind of knowledge these people have.
I think the mods are taking this vote so they can save some space on the servers and not so you can air your opinion about people.
I have written this not in anger , but concern for the site.

Nicky D
01-10-2008, 16:47
I voted No. Post count does not mean much to me. If the space can be used for something more useful then I say get rid of it.

BP44
01-10-2008, 17:09
I voted YES, ohh yeah one more post:tongueout::tongueout::tongueout:

Cochese
01-10-2008, 17:14
I prefer seeing the post count. It doesn't really bother me that it's gone, but I voted to keep it.
Seeing how low it is reminds me I have a life.

Keep it.

cstierhoff
01-10-2008, 20:24
Seeing the post count lets me know if that person has been around or is a newbee especially when buying from someone in the classifieds. Not all newbees are trolls but most trolls are usually newbees and don't stick around long.
My 2¢

CS

AV1911
01-10-2008, 21:05
As I read thru these posts, I see some pretty lame reasons why there should be or should not be post counts. Some of you have condoned new posters as you think they know nothing and have nothing to add, well it seems we all were first time and newbs at one time.
If i were a new person looking to join Glock Talk and ran accross this section ,believe me I would think twice before i joined.
So how about lighten up on new posters and new members. You have no idea of the kind of knowledge these people have.
I think the mods are taking this vote so they can save some space on the servers and not so you can air your opinion about people.
I have written this not in anger , but concern for the site.

Thank you Rem....first intelligent post here.

Butch
01-11-2008, 00:19
I voted no.

I can say that I often checked out the numbers, but mostly just to see if a person is new or not......I try to be a little more 'understanding' with newbs. :)

If memory serves, the actual number of posts got 'trimmed' at least once some years ago anyway (don't remember why), so those of us who've been around since day two wouldn't have the *actual* count showing anyway.

I'd much rather see a little background info in a person's profile than a post count in every post.

:patriot:

MrsKitty
01-11-2008, 08:39
I voted yes. Easier to spot trolls and the formerly banned members who are back with 50 posts in the more controversial forums on their first day.

Zell
01-11-2008, 10:59
My vote is No to visible post counts.

I think we should all be perceiving each other as equals. Sometimes those with lower post counts are viewed as not having as much credibility as others in what they say.

freakshow10mm
01-11-2008, 14:25
Well, that makes it easier. About 50-50. Decisions, decisions. I think a lot of us are just used to seeing it on there and we don't like change. Be interesting to see what happens.

lcarreau
01-11-2008, 14:29
Well, that makes it easier. About 50-50. Decisions, decisions. I think a lot of us are just used to seeing it on there and we don't like change. Be interesting to see what happens.

It was a pretty recent thing and was not on there very long.

freakshow10mm
01-11-2008, 14:36
I've been a GTer since Oct of '03 and the post count has always been there since I was here.

lcarreau
01-11-2008, 14:41
I've been a GTer since Oct of '03 and the post count has always been there since I was here.

Its always been on your profile, but recently, for a short time, it was under your avatar.

freakshow10mm
01-11-2008, 14:46
Thought it was always there under the avatar? Learn something new every day.:)

lcarreau
01-11-2008, 14:50
Thought it was always there under the avatar? Learn something new every day.:)

If your post count was higher, you might have known better.:rofl::rofl:

Jason 209
01-11-2008, 16:54
I really don't see the bit issue with it. When this site changed and post count was visible, I thought that was awsome.

voodoomanx
01-11-2008, 20:48

I agree its been there since I joined *well that was last year*. I still miss them. Bring them back please.

ChuteTheMall
01-11-2008, 21:02
You can add your own post count to your signature.

All you have to do is click on your own public profile to see your post count, then add one and enter it into your signature. Repeat each time before you reply. Simple.

pangris
01-11-2008, 22:43
My vote is No to visible post counts.

I think we should all be perceiving each other as equals. Sometimes those with lower post counts are viewed as not having as much credibility as others in what they say.

Capability is more important than experience, but experience can be quantified.

You earn your reputation on the site over time with contributions.

"Some animals are more equal than others."

DaveA
01-12-2008, 09:45
I voted yes just because, as someone else said, it makes it easier to spot the trolls and mall ninjas :mallninja:

RemSp10
01-12-2008, 14:03
You can add your own post count to your signature.

All you have to do is click on your own public profile to see your post count, then add one and enter it into your signature. Repeat each time before you reply. Simple.

This works , we can decide for ourself on how smart we are :rofl:

glockpacker
01-12-2008, 15:46
I'm a moderator on Florida Shooters Network dot com. We have the count there, and it prompts some members to repeatedly make posts like "Cool!!" to rack up their count.

A couple times a year, the Admins clear out a lot of old posts to save server space, and everyone's post count goes down. Some get bent out of shape over it.

My post count is dwindling because I'm spending more time shooting, and less time online.

I don't care a whole lot, but if I had my druthers, we would do without the count. I may someday be listed as a CLM (or whatever they're called) if that ever comes about. I paid $250 in September, I think.

the fool
01-12-2008, 16:47
i want to see mine

byf43
01-12-2008, 18:45
Personally, I don't miss them.
Looking at a join date and the poster's content, you normally can spot a troll.

Mondo
01-13-2008, 05:11
It really makes no difference to me, but if given a choice, I'd like it to stay.

Smashy
01-13-2008, 11:13
Makes no difference to me, but since I had to choose 'yes' or 'no' to vote, I voted to get rid of the post count. If you need the space for other things, then I don't see any harm in getting rid of it, especially since it's simple enough to click on a person's name if you want to see how many posts they have.

But I have to ask, if it's possible to fit both the post count and the paid member logo in there together, why not just display them both? Or does that cause some other problems? Sorry if this was already discussed, I just voted but don't have time to read through five pages of replies right now. Ignore my question if it's been discussed and I'll read through the pages later when I have more time.

Bottom line for me: I'm fine with it either way.

Sundown
01-13-2008, 12:08
I, for one, really liked the post count feature. I have missed it since it went away. Regardless of what my opinion is, I'd lean toward whichever option will allow the servers to stay up and running the best.

mb1129
01-14-2008, 11:55
I voted yes, but that's just a personal opinion of mine. If it's there that's fine, and if not that's OK too.

I believe that my main concern is that whatever works best for Eric and his servers is the best thing to do. This is a great site with LOTS of good information. A site crash would not be a good thing for any of us:crying:

Scottech
01-14-2008, 12:36
I voted NO. :shocked: WOW. This is my second post! :supergrin::supergrin::supergrin::supergrin:

voodoomanx
01-14-2008, 17:06
There has been alot of talk about servers in this thread, but the issue isn't strain on the "servers" its about the use of the space under the avatar. Personally, I'd rather see post count than blog entries.

JMF30
01-15-2008, 01:18
I prefer having the post count visible

PDogSniper
01-15-2008, 17:35
I like the post count. Frankly I see the paying customer icon causing problems also.

SixGlocks
01-16-2008, 07:00
I don't think post counts contribute anything to the forum. It doesn't show if a member is experienced, it just shows they post alot.
I say leave them off.

I agree with Lee. I voted NO because I believe too many posters are addicted to seeing how many times a day they can post. Sometimes (often times) it's a junk post.

PilotKitten
01-16-2008, 14:10
Don't need it myself. Don't look for it with other users (caveat: unless they appear to be an obvious troll, the post count usually confirms any suspicions and I can place them on ignore... but this is easily found in the profile).

voodoomanx
01-18-2008, 07:06
I agree with Lee. I voted NO because I believe too many posters are addicted to seeing how many times a day they can post. Sometimes (often times) it's a junk post.

i've seen this mentioned many times,but i NEVER see junk posts, just for the sake of increasing post count. I call B.S.

Sidhe
01-18-2008, 17:21
There has been alot of talk about servers in this thread, but the issue isn't strain on the "servers" its about the use of the space under the avatar. Personally, I'd rather see post count than blog entries.

+1

I voted yes.

I'd rather see post counts (and not have to go dig for that info if I'm suspecting a troll that I probably shouldn't reply to), and could care less about blog entry counts.

EVERYONE has post counts, not everyone utilizes the blog feature.

ETA: Maybe if space is an issue the IM ID's can go instead. If I really want to know if a person has Yahoo or AIM, I can always go view their profile for contact options (be it IM, email or only PM through the system).

CraigR
01-21-2008, 19:21
I say leave them off.
Craig

rfenster
01-22-2008, 01:05
My vote would be to not include the post count.

If it is important to someone then they can click on my profile.

scwine
01-22-2008, 01:07
Sure does seem to be a much nicer forum without the counts posted. IMO.

AngryBassets
01-22-2008, 04:23
I voted to display the post count, to show how critical and accurate everything I post is, since I have lotsa posts.

This IS the internet, after all.

WWAGD? (What would Algore do?)

arizona_andy
01-22-2008, 05:44

I agree. I voted yes.

digitspaw
01-22-2008, 13:53
the GT'ers who have very high post counts seem to be OAF'ers and nitwits who apparently view their post counts as a substitute for their lack of other, ahem.... mensural characteristics.

These individuals contribute very little to the forums.

:cool:

Really?

I just voted NO and I'm an OAFer. Most of my post count is in the OAF but I'm also a CCW instructor who contributes regularly to Carry Issues and some in GNG.

It's true that there are a lot of frivolous posts in the OAF. That's the purpose of the forum. However, some of the brightest folks on GlockTalk including Eric, participate in OAF threads. We poke fun at each other. We send prayers to those in distress. We meet in person annually at the OAFfest and other not so formal group gatherings. We celebrate together and we suffer together. I think we're hospitable and magnanimous.

Ya see, it's like this. You have to have a sense of humor to live in the OAF. Come on down and test your wit.

Paw:wavey:

Sidhe
01-22-2008, 14:05
Really?

I just voted NO and I'm an OAFer. Most of my post count is in the OAF but I'm also a CCW instructor who contributes regularly to Carry Issues and some in GNG.

It's true that there are a lot of frivolous posts in the OAF. That's the purpose of the forum. However, some of the brightest folks on GlockTalk including Eric, participate in OAF threads. We poke fun at each other. We send prayers to those in distress. We meet in person annually at the OAFfest and other not so formal group gatherings. We celebrate together and we suffer together. I think we're hospitable and magnanimous.

Ya see, it's like this. You have to have a sense of humor to live in the OAF. Come on down and test your wit.

Thanks Paw! I've resisted replying to that post since it appeared. I especially liked 'and nitwits' in that post. Just. Wow.

You SO ROCK!

:bowdown:

gary newport
01-22-2008, 15:39
Really?

Much the same could be said about the GT Reloading forum (one simply MUST have a sense of humor to put up with Koski and his 30,000 off-topic posts!).

G36Packer
01-24-2008, 18:26
I like the count but if it causes problems it makes sense to disable it. After all most of us aren't paying the bills except by contributing or buying from the GT advertisers.

Spades
01-27-2008, 00:27
I think it helps some in regards to the for sale forum.

unit1069
01-28-2008, 22:00
I voted "yes" but it's really not that important an issue to me.

Jack23
01-29-2008, 03:07
All the juvenile nonsense like padding your post count, etc, aside I am in favor of post count and contributor indicator and anything else that might give the members at least some idea of who is posting....who we are conversing with. I know that a high post count or the fact that we may have contributed to the sight are no guarantee that we are all the more knowledgeable or credible but neither does some one that has 9 posts and it an unknown quantity.

The thing about cyberspace that is like real life is it takes a little while for folks to get to know each other. Depending upon your view of these features, they can be useful in that regard. At least that's the way it seems to me.

For example when I first joined I could quickly spot some of the icons in here like Butch and Russ P and Eddy and CJ Landry, etc. These are the guys we trust and know what to expect from. Doesn't mean a new member can't have the same amount of knowledge, and no disrespect intended in the least, but until he/she has been around a while they are an unknown quality.

voodoomanx
01-29-2008, 17:06
All the juvenile nonsense like padding your post count, etc, aside I am in favor of post count and contributor indicator and anything else that might give the members at least some idea of who is posting....who we are conversing with. I know that a high post count or the fact that we may have contributed to the sight are no guarantee that we are all the more knowledgeable or credible but neither does some one that has 9 posts and it an unknown quantity.

The thing about cyberspace that is like real life is it takes a little while for folks to get to know each other. Depending upon your view of these features, they can be useful in that regard. At least that's the way it seems to me.

For example when I first joined I could quickly spot some of the icons in here like Butch and Russ P and Eddy and CJ Landry, etc. These are the guys we trust and know what to expect from. Doesn't mean a new member can't have the same amount of knowledge, and no disrespect intended in the least, but until he/she has been around a while they are an unknown quality.

Amen! It's how I got to recognize the regs when I first joined. I'd rather forfeit my contributor icon to see post count any day. Glad to see the "yes" vote still winning.

Texas357
01-29-2008, 19:29
High post count lends some credibility, but high posts-per-day is informative too...

adhocglock
01-30-2008, 22:47
After reading a few posts this evening, I think I'd like to see the post count. Some of the questions are so stupid that they should only be asked by a newbie... The same question from a high post count poster indicates an entrenched troll, and I do not like to feed the trolls...

Regards,

CCH
01-31-2008, 09:39
I agree with Eric. I frequent several different boards and am normally not a frequent contributor as I only post if I feel I can make a contribution on a topic that I have experience in and -- here is the common part -- when I'm not simply duplicating another comment. The latter is a real challenge but doesn't prevent many posters from driving up their post counts and making threads go on while also making it hard to get to the real information that thread contains. On most boards there is a definite bias against people with low post counts probably based on a variety of misconceptions. There is enough strife on internet forums without providing a visible reminder that allows posters to be divided into a "them versus us" scenario based on post count. Many of the "regulars" assume that because someone hasn't posted a lot, they aren't around following topics and/or have little knowledge. Rest assured that isn't always the case. On the other hand, a high post count is not always indicative of expertise. Sometimes it just shows that you have a lot of free time and like to type. I believe avoiding preconceptions is a good thing when it comes to maintaining valuable and respectful dialogue. Trolls and newbies generally sort themselves out in short order.

Blast
02-01-2008, 01:04
Really?

:goodpost:
Folks that have little or no sense of humor are pretty witless.
I'm an OAFer too, but I spend alot of time in PI, RI, GNG, Non-Glock Firearms,
and a bunch of the sub-forums.

As to the post count thingy... if it is better for GlockTalk without it, then keep it out. I voted no.

IBTL:dancingbanana:

Mark 19
02-03-2008, 09:11
I voted no to post count display. I have occasionally succumbed to the temptation to make a "+1" post just to get a +1 in post count, and felt silly afterward. The post-count display just encourages that behavior. Maybe I should've hung out in OAF instead :).

I think as the board gets older and larger, the post-count display discourages qualified new members from participating, because they can never catch up, and don't have time to post 1000 "+1s" just to get started.

We've been fortunate to have a couple of nationally known authors (>> 20 years in the business) stop by in the Tactics forum. They didn't need to build up a lot of posts, due to their name recognition, but does the post count display discourage up-and-comers? Even full-time people in the industry don't have time to build up a lot of posts in each of the quality gun boards.

We've had a couple of quite accomplished engineers show up in the Kel-Tec forum, but drift away. They made quite helpful posts, but were so low on post-count that few seemed to recognize their expertise. So, it was back to the KTOG board for them.

Since post-count will still be available by looking a poster's profile, people can still factor it into their thinking. That's probably the best place for it, in the balance.

Poppa Bear
02-03-2008, 10:59
....... I think as the board gets older and larger, the post-count display discourages qualified new members from participating, because they can never catch up, and don't have time to post 1000 "+1s" just to get started. ............

We've had a couple of quite accomplished engineers show up in the Kel-Tec forum, but drift away. They made quite helpful posts, but were so low on post-count that few seemed to recognize their expertise. So, it was back to the KTOG board for them.

Since post-count will still be available by looking a poster's profile, people can still factor it into their thinking. That's probably the best place for it, in the balance.

If you judge a persons contribution just based on post count then you are going to be very disappointed. If you find a subject that makes you think what if.... I did not know that..... What a bunch of BS.... then you are best served by doing a search on related topics. Read what others have said and form your own opinion. Some people have low post counts but their opinion is BTDT. Some people have high post counts only because they continually spout the same BS over and over. Educate yourself, read between the lines, and decide for yourself what is fact and what is fiction based on their words and not their post count.

I put a lot more value into the joined date than the post count but every day we get new people who's input is readily recognizable as valuable information.

Butch is older than the dinosaurs but if he were to have joined just within the last month his input would be just as important, it would just be harder to find that perfect picture to demonstrate the part. :supergrin::supergrin:

Texas357
02-03-2008, 18:47
How about "posts since last warning?"

I like "posts per day" as an indicator of what kind of activity the person has. It is just one more thing to take into account when forming an opinion about someone.

Str8shootr
02-04-2008, 09:52
Doesn't matter to me one way or the other. If Eric needs space, then I vote no.

Sovietsky Soyuz
02-04-2008, 19:44
NO.....You can be a new member and still know what you are talking about, and you can be a "seasoned" old-timer here too and still be clueless. Some of us (myself included) have lurked here for years before joining. Having 100,000 posts don't automatically make one more credible. If this is all about seeing who can spend the most time here and rack up the most posts, I say you need to go and get a life! LOL...........:rofl: It already shows the date we joined on here, I think that is enough. If I am that worried about someone's post count or want to know more about them, I will check out their profile. Someone else mentioned something about all the post count does is inflates some peoples feelings of self-perceived superiority. I say yes to that, and it is just something for someone to use if they need their ego stroked. Personally, I have more important things to worry about than how many posts I have or don't have. Another poster on this thread also said something about Ted Kennedy having many years in the Senate, lots of "experience".....but that doesn't necessarily mean he is any good at it. I realize I am in the minority here, but that is just my .05 (when adjusted for inflation).

galilstorm
02-05-2008, 16:15
Sometimes it encourages a lot of one worded postings simply to rack up a post count, omitting this feature may actually save bandwidth and also prevent some cat fights between high post groups versus low post groups.

RemSp10
02-05-2008, 20:16
Sometimes it encourages a lot of one worded postings simply to rack up a post count, omitting this feature may actually save bandwidth and also prevent some cat fights between high post groups versus low post groups.

Quite possible.
My posts have increased in the last month or so,,I post in the SCRABBLE game. Try it, it is kind of fun. Ya post counts don't mean too much. Join date is ok tho.

RemSp10
02-05-2008, 20:19
Can't belive we have gone 6+ pages on this subject. Woooooooops another post for me:rofl:
When will it all end ? When it is all over.....

David_G17
02-05-2008, 21:30
I agree with Eric, the more fields you have to return from your db, the slower it'll be. Not sure if it would be measurable, but every little bit counts.

D-GLOCK17
02-06-2008, 00:32
Wow. I haven't been on GT as much lately. I used to spend several hours each day here. I have rekindled my interest of scorpions and have since, became a member of other forums. I had to slow down with my gun obsession, the more I read GT the more I want guns, guns, guns, and with me unemployed at the moment, I have to share my interest on a cheaper pasttime. I had been wondering what happened to post count but I didn't want to ask. I say leave it, and maybe remove the online icon. When I first joined, as a newbie, I posted frequently because I wanted to "get out of the newbie stage". Now it actually probably reduces the posts with one or few responses like yeah, no, blah, etc. I think if post count is not visible though, that people will also respond to a topic that really interests them and not to each and every one to boost post count. It is interesting though to see the guys with ((10,000+ posts)) and there are a few with nearly 10 times that much...wow, and I thought I visited GT too much. It seemed like people with more posts were more knowledgeable but it is not necessarily the case. On the new forums I joined, I rarely post, by rather, I soak up the information. The post count serves no real purpose but I like to see it. Many of the other forums still display it.

paul1973
02-07-2008, 05:02
I could care lessI think you mean "I could NOT care less" people always say that wrong.

00fxsts
02-10-2008, 12:51
I have participated in other forums and have noticed that a lot of people will make a post whether or not they have any knowledge of the subject just to add to their count. So if you have posted a question, you have to dig thru all the crap to actually find a couple answers to your question. Waste of my time. I vote no post count

paul1973
02-10-2008, 18:53
I have participated in other forums and have noticed that a lot of people will make a post whether or not they have any knowledge of the subject just to add to their count. So if you have posted a question, you have to dig thru all the crap to actually find a couple answers to your question. Waste of my time. I vote no post count+1 :whistling:

BustedFlush
02-15-2008, 15:34
I voted NO.
<---< My post count is under my avatar already.
Is there some way for me to turn if off?

As long as you can see it in the profile, I don't care. I sometimes look, but the join date is usually more relevant. Sometimes a noob asks a question and folks jump all over the person.

If your really think it will increase useless posts made to run up the count, leave it off.

I would appreciate a few more characters in the "custom user title" just below the avatar. There isn't enough room to write "Post Count 147,123".

BustedFlush
02-15-2008, 15:40
How about "posts since last warning?"
I agree, that would be useful.

Or number of posts in threads that were later closed.

I like "posts per day" as an indicator of what kind of activity the person has. It is just one more thing to take into account when forming an opinion about someone.As a mental arithmetic exercise (to ward off dementia), I verify the "posts per day" any time I check a profile. Long division is the ticket!

ki4dmh
02-16-2008, 00:16
I think you mean "I could NOT care less" people always say that wrong.

I stand corrected if I cared.:crying:
Scott

itisbruno
02-16-2008, 17:51
Should I begin padding my post count?

JohnKSa
02-16-2008, 23:01
Padding your post count!? What an abominable idea!

Blitzer
02-16-2008, 23:29
:dunno:

Still not enough of a majority vote to settle the question.

StraitR
02-18-2008, 18:58
I voted no... showing post counts can only create problems. It will soon turn into a hierarchy based on post count which means nothing in terms of knowledge. I've seen it plenty times before on other forum sites. It also promotes spam and one word answers, emoticon only answers, and that InBeforeLock garbage that will only clutter the site.

Example: My Ex-wife could join this place tomorrow and by the end of the week she'd have more posts than anyone to date. The only thing it shows is she can't shut up.:whistling:

ammoguy3460
02-18-2008, 19:00
I think you mean "I could NOT care less" people always say that wrong.

Actually, I could care less is syntactically correct (from a linguistics standpoint). While your literal analysis is correct, the instinctual way in which the phrase "I could care less" is used denotes sarcasm. It's actually an interesting story and Steven Pinker discusses it in his book The Language Instinct. Check him out here if you are interested. http://pinker.wjh.harvard.edu/

*Just a foot note, I am in no way criticizing you.

Glockdude1
02-18-2008, 19:12
I
Example: My Ex-wife could join this place tomorrow and by the end of the week she'd have more posts than anyone to date. The only thing it shows is she can't shut up.:whistling:

If she knows her weapons, that could be a good thing!!

paul1973
02-18-2008, 19:20
Actually, I could care less is syntactically correct (from a linguistics standpoint). While your literal analysis is correct, the instinctual way in which the phrase "I could care less" is used denotes sarcasm. It's actually an interesting story and Steven Pinker discusses it in his book The Language Instinct. Check him out here if you are interested. http://pinker.wjh.harvard.edu/

*Just a foot note, I am in no way criticizing you.Well here is what dictionary.com has to say about it. http://dictionary.reference.com/help/faq/language/g09.htmlWhat you are saying makes no sense at all. And im not interested in steven pinker....but your big words sure nuff do impress me.

Packin' Heat
02-20-2008, 12:06
It is mildly interesting to to see people with counts in the tens of thousands, but overall pretty pointless. people artificially boost their count with posts like:
"lol"
or
"srsly?"

theres nothing to gain, and apparently "real estate" to loose so thats why I voted no.

...not that you asked.

gary newport
02-20-2008, 13:07
Notwithstanding the folks who have POSTED that they voted "no," the "yes" votes are ahead by a wide margin! If this were a presidential election, the networks would have declared a winner quite a while back. The ayes have it!

BrianNH
02-21-2008, 12:53
As I've already said, there is NO "rational" argument which could support the benefit to viewing ones post count. Showing someone’s post count is as meaningless as showing how much time they spend on the internet, what type of processor they are running, their income, etc.

There are downsides to displaying post count as evident in other forums. People who want their post count displayed are well aware of their intentions and their "perceived" benefit to this, again, all of which serves no "useful" purpose.

gary newport
02-21-2008, 13:41
As I've already said, there is NO "rational" argument which could support the benefit to viewing ones post count. Showing someone’s post count is as meaningless as showing how much time they spend on the internet, what type of processor they are running, their income, etc.

There are downsides to displaying post count as evident in other forums. People who want their post count displayed are well aware of their intentions and their "perceived" benefit to this, again, all of which serves no "useful" purpose.

Sorry, I disagree. Over the years, I've found the post count to be a useful datum, especially when evaluating problematic posts.

Scarecrow28
02-22-2008, 14:41
I think it would be good to have the option of having it be visible or not. I don't care all that much, but I've just gotten used to having the post count around and it not being there somehow bothers me (OCD, I know!)

voodoomanx
02-22-2008, 17:14
I agree with Scarecrow and gary newport...

Yes is still leading is that why this is still ongoing?
;)

Grumpy Gardener
02-29-2008, 22:12
Eric, my vote is towards the leaving the post count off.

Post counts aren't really that important (to me) as is time on board and the washout therein. I've been gone a long while but lot's of the solid folks from back then are still solid folks today.

So without a bunch of hoooya, my votes for keeping it in the profiles.

Thanks for letting me hang out at Glock Talk. I really appreciate it.

Kevin the Grumpy Gardener

Eddie C.
03-01-2008, 09:14
Eric, my vote is towards the leaving the post count off.

Post counts aren't really that important (to me) as is time on board and the washout therein. I've been gone a long while but lot's of the solid folks from back then are still solid folks today.

So without a bunch of hoooya, my votes for keeping it in the profiles.

Thanks for letting me hang out at Glock Talk. I really appreciate it.

Kevin the Grumpy Gardener

Hiya GG!:wavey:

It's good to see you hanging out again.

Best,
Eddie

Grumpy Gardener
03-01-2008, 12:08
Howdy Ed! :wavey:

Good to be back friend. Had some personal issues to deal with. But I'm getting solid footing again.

Nice to see you.

Kevin

speedracer815
03-03-2008, 14:48
The number of posts in no way equates to the value of posts. There are already too many "me too" posts.

DeadMansLife
03-07-2008, 21:45
Post counts are available in member profiles. Fluff like this can waste server space which can be put to much better use.

Two Guns
03-07-2008, 22:22
I voted to show the number.But I really don't care,I just wanted to add a post to my count :rofl::rofl:

26Glocker
03-08-2008, 18:01
I voted to show the number.But I really don't care,I just wanted to add a post to my count :rofl::rofl:

Me too.

ohhh...did I do that again???
:embarassed:

Don't know how much "server space" or asset allocation it ties up, but I really don't know what it hurts. Pretty quick into a lot of posts I know if I consider the material..."worthwhile". Don't think it would make much difference if it had post #1 or 10000 attached to it!

Inspire
03-10-2008, 01:58
I don't if this has been stated but the only thing I use post count for is when I'm buying/selling something.

If the member is a big poster, well known in the community, and well known personally I am able to to look at that (if for some reason they are not in the feedback forum) and I feel more comfortable doing business with them.

Although sometimes it does bring out competition like stated by Eric about whose balls are bigger, and gets downright irritating.

*edit* just read a couple posts up and saw you can still locate them in members profiles, lol.

smith06
03-10-2008, 11:55
this is the first board ive ever been on without one...it's just kinda wierd to me.

rat5545
03-10-2008, 16:51
leave it off, do we really have to be like every other forum.

BoxerDog25
03-11-2008, 16:19
I vote to Bring it back, on other gun boards I think this helpful in who is knowledgeable and who is not, I really wish it would be brought back.

myg30
03-11-2008, 20:18
You can leave it off. When I first joined,I HAD to post just to get posts. Now I guess
Gt's can look at the history of the member. I do ! I look at the join date,if a new guy to buy from, I'll check threads he may of had !
Its all good.

Mike

flynjump
03-11-2008, 21:39
I vote to Bring it back, on other gun boards I think this helpful in who is knowledgeable and who is not, I really wish it would be brought back.

C'mon, The number of posts in no ways indicates the knowledge of the poster! Just that he / she has a lot of spare time. The content of the post is what counts......

Inspire
03-11-2008, 23:56
C'mon, The number of posts in no ways indicates the knowledge of the poster! Just that he / she has a lot of spare time. The content of the post is what counts......

Amen, plus the post count is in their profiles.

GlockMan40s&w
03-15-2008, 20:13
I vote to leave it off, I'm like others who may want to see it for when I'm buying or selling something. High post count means nothing to me.

My 2Cents

pdpdad
04-28-2008, 17:10
:tongueout::tongueout:

gary newport
04-28-2008, 17:20
:tongueout::tongueout:

You're in the minority...still!

slewfoot
04-28-2008, 17:30

Me too.

slewfoot
04-28-2008, 17:30
Me too.

Me too.:tongueout:

bigez
04-29-2008, 20:54
Post count doesn't mean jack squat. Plus, there's always some jack-leg that for whatever reason feels the need to have "more posts than anybody" and basically end up spamming the boards with useless tripe. As such, I vote to leave it OFF.

gary newport
04-30-2008, 16:11
Post count doesn't mean jack squat. Plus, there's always some jack-leg that for whatever reason feels the need to have "more posts than anybody" and basically end up spamming the boards with useless tripe. As such, I vote to leave it OFF.

Check the totals. More people disagree with you than agree.

bigez
04-30-2008, 19:44
Check the totals. More people disagree with you than agree.

What are you--- the official poll keeper? Big deal. It's pretty much half and half. And since it causes more problems than it solves, counts should probably just be left off.

gary newport
04-30-2008, 19:50
I'm sure more people than not think guns should be totally banned in CA or NY--- doesn't make it right.

Not the same thing. Banning guns is WRONG. There is no right or wrong position on showing post counts--it is a matter of opinion. Eric presumably started the poll to find the majority opinion. Well, the people have spoken...and the majority want the post count displayed!

bigez
04-30-2008, 19:58
The majority of people that actually bothered to respond-- which is probably misrepresented since most people don't have time to lurk around and take polls and such. I just now saw this thing, and it's like 4 months old. The people that care the most are probably the same people on here every night trying to jack up their stupid post count. Personally, I don't care either way. But the post count DOES cause problems, whereas not having it doesn't affect anything at all. Post count is not the same as feedback (which the new classifieds will have).:upeyes:

Post counts: USELESS and potential problems

No post counts: Doesn't matter and no potential problems

gary newport
04-30-2008, 20:02
What are you--- the official poll keeper? Big deal. It's pretty much half and half. And since it causes more problems than it solves, counts should probably just be left off.

Last I checked, showing the count led by about 54% to 45%. That ain't half and half! A presidential election with that disparity would be called a landslide! :cool:

And since it hasn't caused any problems that I've noticed during the years it was shown, why not bring back the count?

115scott
04-30-2008, 21:30
As a new member, I voted no. I'm not here to see my count or anyone elses. As with this and other forums, I'm here to learn new information.
Thanks.

stepper
05-03-2008, 19:27
I like to see it.

novaDAK
05-04-2008, 02:21
I don't really care either way, but I guess I would prefer it to be shown, because I like to be able to form opinions on posters most importantly on what they post, but also, how long they've been a member and how much they've "participated" so having all of that info on the side there would be OK in my book :)

voodoomanx
05-04-2008, 15:59
Still yes for me, but it looks moot at this point...

I missed seeing that I posted my 1000th post, and I wanted to start a 1000th post thread!!

anyplainjoe
05-11-2008, 19:41
I like seeing the post count.

It's like a little acknowledgement of being a contributing member of the group.

mdfd
05-12-2008, 13:55
I like seeing the post count also

Frenchy
05-13-2008, 03:22
Leave the silly thing off!

gary newport
05-13-2008, 13:02
Leave the silly thing off!

Still, more folks want them on than off! :whistling:

Porkchop
05-13-2008, 22:05
my vote is no because i dont pay much attention to it

Southcross1
05-15-2008, 19:52
No. It's no more then people getting a big head over a, sad, self perceived rank, of some kind, with a high count.

Besides, if you post count is higher then your shot count, then you have an issue being a gun website.

gary newport
05-15-2008, 19:53
No. It's no more then people getting a big head over a, sad, self perceived rank, of some kind, with a high count.

Besides, if you post count is higher then your shot count, then you have an issue being a gun website.

"Yes" is still well ahead--and my post count just went up! :whistling:

Frenchy
05-15-2008, 23:43

Egotistical, IMO.

gary newport
05-16-2008, 13:28
Egotistical, IMO.

Others may have a different opinion.

(This thread is REALLY boosting my post count! :supergrin:)

voodoomanx
05-17-2008, 06:17

Says the new kid. :tongueout: Oh and people who post a lot shouldn't visit gun web sites? Explain how that would work.

FiringLion
05-17-2008, 13:24
:soap:

grounded audiences of frequent speaking engagements by handing out 1 foot long pieces of wire, calling them "nanoseconds," as that is the distance an electrical signal travels in that time.
These were contrasted to a nearly 1,000 foot spool of wire at the front of the auditorium, called "a microsecond," so-called for the same reason.

Adm. Hopper's point was that poor programming and oversized circuit design (which seemingly slows the process by "just a nanosecond" or "just a microsecond") waste vast amounts of resource when repeated with every loop iteration.

So how many nanoseconds do post counts use, and what's their value?

I vote to leave 'em out - a good search will tell much more about the poster than an arbitrary count.

Yes this is a long post to a short question, but of those few of you who already knew about Amazing Grace Hopper, who resents being reminded of this great patriot?

... And for those of you who have never heard her name, you're welcome for the free ejeekayshin, and remember: you heard it here first, on GlockTalk!

OK, time to step off the box and let someone else have a turn

:soap:

tjf76
05-18-2008, 15:50
Sure, why not

Ranger.357
05-21-2008, 12:59
Personally, I don't care either way. :deadhorse: Take it all off, counts, dates, and even the avatars if you want too. None of it lends credence to the comments anyway.:yawn:

D-GLOCK17
05-21-2008, 18:42
When I was a new member I liked seeing the post count. I enjoyed reaching milestones like 100th and 100th. Now it's not a big deal. We can click on our or someone else's user name to view post counts.

gary newport
05-21-2008, 18:48
When I was a new member I liked seeing the post count. I enjoyed reaching milestones like 100th and 100th. Now it's not a big deal. We can click on our or someone else's user name to view post counts.

Well, if you liked seeing it when you were a new member, perhaps other new members would like seeing it for the same reasons!

(This thread is boosting my post count big time! :whistling:)

twocammer
06-04-2008, 14:49
Do not show post count. It is meaningless IMHO and YMMV. :tongueout:

gary newport
06-04-2008, 14:50
Do not show post count. It is meaningless IMHO and YMMV. :tongueout:

Well, I find it meaningful! Apparently, so do a lot of other folks here, since the "yes" vote continues to lead by a substantial margin. :tongueout:

voodoomanx
06-04-2008, 16:41
Well, I find it meaningful! Apparently, so do a lot of other folks here, since the "yes" vote continues to lead by a substantial margin. :tongueout:

yet no updates on this... oh well. I know it would have signaled "troll" on many of the tactics and training threads lately had it been displayed.

twocammer
06-04-2008, 21:26

Read my post. I said IMHO which means In My Humble Opinion and YMMV which means Your Mileage May Vary. :whistling:

Where did I say YOU did not find it meaningful?

It is a POLL for crying out loud!! Eric asked for one's opinion. Sorry if my opinion doesn't coincide with yours. Perhaps everyone else who voted NO should change their vote to make you happy. :deadhorse:

Now boost your post count some more. :tongueout:

gary newport
06-05-2008, 12:15
Read my post. I said IMHO which means In My Humble Opinion and YMMV which means Your Mileage May Vary. :whistling:

Where did I say YOU did not find it meaningful?

It is a POLL for crying out loud!! Eric asked for one's opinion. Sorry if my opinion doesn't coincide with yours. Perhaps everyone else who voted NO should change their vote to make you happy. :deadhorse:

Now boost your post count some more. :tongueout:

Thanks, I'll do that! :supergrin:

BrianNH
06-08-2008, 17:21

WHY do they want them on???? I've yet to hear a logical reason. My guess? It serves a need to have THEIR OWN post count displayed. Once this is done, then the numbers game is on and the site gets quickly polluted with meaningless posts. I'm really surprised you're for this Gary !! Tell me you're joking? :supergrin:

Solid
06-08-2008, 22:37
It just turns people into bigger post whores and it is used as a ranking system.

paul1973
06-09-2008, 00:55
What should be done is start everyone's post count at 99,999 and go backwards, every time you post it goes down one. :tongueout:

gary newport
06-09-2008, 13:25
WHY do they want them on???? I've yet to hear a logical reason. My guess? It serves a need to have THEIR OWN post count displayed. Once this is done, then the numbers game is on and the site gets quickly polluted with meaningless posts. I'm really surprised you're for this Gary !! Tell me you're joking? :supergrin:

Sorry, Brian. I'm NOT joking. In the past couple of weeks, there have been two outrageous threads (that I'm aware of) started by (different?) individuals with fewer posts than I have fingers on one hand! Some people took the OPs seriously. Had the post count been visible, I suspect that fewer people would have fallen for the trolls.

paul1973
06-12-2008, 04:16
I just wanted to post something here so I could give gary newport another chance to boost his post count :supergrin::wavey:

Blitzer
06-12-2008, 06:47
It is obvious the powers that be didn't find the opinion of the masses significant to keep the post count. Something to do with other displayed data was desired over the post count.

;)

I had a noob/boob send me an aggressive and hostile PM referencing my high post count and the fact I was making a comment on nearly every new or changing topic. So I am of the opinion that it is one less tool for a tool to use to make waves.

:dunno: :wow:

kirgi08
06-12-2008, 07:50
It is obvious the powers that be didn't find the opinion of the masses significant to keep the post count. Something to do with other displayed data was desired over the post count.

;)

Blitzer,I don't believe TPTB has decided yet. Eric has always let us know what he has planned,I don't expect him ta change his approach now.

I would like ta see the post count.It saves me steps as I bee-bop around GT.

I don't know about the "space used" problem.'08.

gary newport
06-12-2008, 12:18
I just wanted to post something here so I could give gary newport another chance to boost his post count :supergrin::wavey:

Thanks, I appreciate that! :supergrin:

paul1973
06-13-2008, 01:14
Thanks, I appreciate that! :supergrin: Sure, no problem. If they do turn the post count on im going to donate my post count to you....:rofl:

RemSp10
06-16-2008, 06:12
Been so long that i cant remember what i voted .
Today i broke 1000 :uglylol::milestone:

Texas357
06-19-2008, 10:52
Could we put up other counts?
i.e.
"Locked Threads:" would let us know how many locked threads you participated in
"Warnings:" would let us know how often the Mods have had to remind you of the rules

voodoomanx
06-25-2008, 05:15
Sorry, Brian. I'm NOT joking. In the past couple of weeks, there have been two outrageous threads (that I'm aware of) started by (different?) individuals with fewer posts than I have fingers on one hand! Some people took the OPs seriously. Had the post count been visible, I suspect that fewer people would have fallen for the trolls.

That's what I'm talking about too. Maybe the guy who says he hasn't seen a good reason yet needs to read more of this thread and post less.

BrianNH
06-25-2008, 20:37
That's what I'm talking about too. Maybe the guy who says he hasn't seen a good reason yet needs to read more of this thread and post less.

Are you really buying into this logic that displaying post count serves a useful purpose or "tells a story"? I've yet to hear a logical reason how it is beneficial. Care to enlighten me Mr. Voodoo? :supergrin:

gary newport
06-25-2008, 20:42
Are you really buying into this logic that displaying post count serves a useful purpose or "tells a story"? I've yet to hear a logical reason how it is beneficial. Care to enlighten me Mr. Voodoo? :supergrin:

See my earlier response, Brian. :whistling:

When a poster with four posts starts a thread with some outrageous statement or claim, the post count serves as a sort of warning label.

BrianNH
06-25-2008, 21:22
See my earlier response, Brian. :whistling:

When a poster with four posts starts a thread with some outrageous statement or claim, the post count serves as a sort of warning label.

You know Gary, I've agreed with you on probably everything up until this debate. :supergrin:

Let's suppose a poster with a low post count starts an outrageous post. You say this is a warning label. How so? What will the warning do? Make you log off? Stay away? Not follow the thread? What purpose will the warning serve?

If the poster with a low post count makes an outrageous claim, would you automatically not believe him based on his post count? Would you be prejudice or pass judgment because the person had the misfortune of being a new member or poster?

What then if the person posting the outrageous claim had a high post count? The high post count would then add validity to his statement or claim? What you would be saying then is that the post count has some weighted value to ones credibility? Would it not be possible for someone with a high post count to post something that is outrageous, inaccurate or untrue?

The post count in my opinion in no way shape or form is representative of a persons character, knowledge, intent, etc. It means nothing other than how much someone has posted, period.

What if we posted how many rounds someone fired through a Glock? What if they fired 500, 5,000, or 50,000 rounds through their Glocks? Would those figures represent anything other than how many times they pulled the trigger? Absolutely not. The number would be meaningless.

If there was a way to obtain and post ones IQ, then one could argue some value since that would be a value that actually represented something.

paul1973
06-25-2008, 23:02
I say we only give Gary Newport a post count....:rofl: Just kidding Gary:wavey:

RemSp10
06-26-2008, 08:41
whats a post count ????:rofl:

gary newport
06-26-2008, 11:26
You know Gary, I've agreed with you on probably everything up until this debate. :supergrin:

Let's suppose a poster with a low post count starts an outrageous post. You say this is a warning label. How so? What will the warning do? Make you log off? Stay away? Not follow the thread? What purpose will the warning serve?

If the poster with a low post count makes an outrageous claim, would you automatically not believe him based on his post count? Would you be prejudice or pass judgment because the person had the misfortune of being a new member or poster?

What then if the person posting the outrageous claim had a high post count? The high post count would then add validity to his statement or claim? What you would be saying then is that the post count has some weighted value to ones credibility? Would it not be possible for someone with a high post count to post something that is outrageous, inaccurate or untrue?

The post count in my opinion in no way shape or form is representative of a persons character, knowledge, intent, etc. It means nothing other than how much someone has posted, period.

What if we posted how many rounds someone fired through a Glock? What if they fired 500, 5,000, or 50,000 rounds through their Glocks? Would those figures represent anything other than how many times they pulled the trigger? Absolutely not. The number would be meaningless.

If there was a way to obtain and post ones IQ, then one could argue some value since that would be a value that actually represented something.

:rofl: That could help!

Actually, I've noticed that suspicious folks (like me) check the post count when they see an outrageous post, often posting that "this guy only has xx posts." Less suspicious folks tend to get drawn into the troll's web.

Trolls may post frequently, but they don't usually last long enough to amass a high post count.

If a member who has been around a long time or has a high post count, I'm more willing to give him or her a chance to explain or prove an outrageous claim or statement.

gary newport
06-26-2008, 11:27
I say we only give Gary Newport a post count....:rofl: Just kidding Gary:wavey:

I'll take all I can get! My main goal in life is to surpass Koski. :supergrin:

Parasite
07-11-2008, 13:47
too much value is given to post counts. although new to GlockTalk, i'm a forum veteran...too many times have i seen people's opinoins swayed by a longtime users post count, as opposed to the content of thier post.

just my 2¢

gary newport
07-14-2008, 12:39
too much value is given to post counts. although new to GlockTalk, i'm a forum veteran...too many times have i seen people's opinoins swayed by a longtime users post count, as opposed to the content of thier post.

just my 2¢

More GT members want to see the post count, and that's my $0.03! :whistling:

Bushwhacker
07-14-2008, 14:15
I would vote to keep the count off, I never did pay attention to it, rather how the person was a member is more important to me.

Eric thanks for having a a great forum!

paul1973
07-14-2008, 16:20
I would vote to keep the count off, I never did pay attention to it, rather how the person was a member is more important to me.

Eric thanks for having a a great forum! Yes sir it is a great forum!

MacG22
07-25-2008, 18:23
I actually voted "yes", but after reading your thoughts, Eric, I cannot agree more. If it's just another chance for a pissing contests then there is no need for it.