Is that a motorcycle?!? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Is that a motorcycle?!?

ndbullet500
01-08-2008, 00:31
A question posed to me last week, when something caught a visitor's eye through the French doors of my living room.

I guess it was an unexpected sight.

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j12/connell10/650RXmas.jpg

TrotGlock
01-08-2008, 00:40
Ahhhhh,
A thing of Beauty.

I'm sure Santa would approve,
Mr. Bill

BP44
01-08-2008, 00:46
nice lookin scooter:supergrin: I cant wait till it warms up!!!!!!

ndbullet500
01-08-2008, 04:52
I wish it were a Vincent, I would devote an entire room to it! Actually, I don't normally have a motorcycle indoors, but I'm going on a trip next week and we've had a mini-crime wave in my neighborhood recently. My garage is the old carriage house, so it is relatively exposed. I hung LED Christmas lights on it just for fun, backlit it with diffuse lighting, and find that I actually like being able to look at it at random times. Yesterday, walking by with my coffee I caught a faint whiff of oil/gas and had a sudden strong recall of my best ride of the fall (and my first vacation in 3 years). The only downside is that when we get a false spring here in Northern Indiana, and the roads are clear of snow and ice, it will be hard to get it out on a whim. All the more reason to get the head back together and on my Royal Enfield!

JimK
01-09-2008, 10:44
I`d be putting something under that kickstand to protect that pretty hardwood floor. :cool:

ndbullet500
01-09-2008, 17:32
I`d be putting something under that kickstand to protect that pretty hardwood floor. :cool:

Thanks for the suggest as well as the compliment on my floor! You can juuuusssttt make out the plastic foot under the kickstand if you squint. The image is a bit grainy because of the lighting.

BTW, ever check out the St. Joe County Restoration Club as a place to shoot? I remember you were looking for places in N. Indiana/S. Michigan. I'm about to go to the monthly general meeting in about 10 mins, in fact.

USMC1369
01-09-2008, 18:27
"no, it's only a 500...."

:rofl::rofl::tongueout::tongueout:

uzimon
01-09-2008, 18:44
get ya 1 like this

JimK
01-09-2008, 22:29
Thanks for the suggest as well as the compliment on my floor! You can juuuusssttt make out the plastic foot under the kickstand if you squint. The image is a bit grainy because of the lighting.

BTW, ever check out the St. Joe County Restoration Club as a place to shoot? I remember you were looking for places in N. Indiana/S. Michigan. I'm about to go to the monthly general meeting in about 10 mins, in fact.
Couldn`t tell for sure if you were covered:cool: I was able to find that range but havn`t checked into it yet .My daughter bought me a session pass to the Midwest range in Elkhart , so I been using that . still has a couple more punches on that card . the Restoration club is closer though.

aaronrkelly
01-09-2008, 23:44
All the more reason to get the head back together and on my Royal Enfield!

Do you have an old Enfiled or one of the newer "remakes" of the old Enfield.

Ive been contemplating the military model.....

ndbullet500
01-10-2008, 14:54
Do you have an old Enfiled or one of the newer "remakes" of the old Enfield.

Ive been contemplating the military model.....

I have a 2002, but I've ridden old and new school, there is almost zero difference, except for shifting, plus mine has an electric starter that I rarely use. My "new school" has the old Albion 4 speed, but it has a crossover linkage to make it left foot shift. I also changed out the front drum for a disc, a compromise I am willing to make for safety.

I've hung out with the US importer as well as some of the best dealers and racers, they are all really vintage guys. The newest REs are different, with the lean burn motor and 5 speeds. The classic 4 speeds are really like opening a time capsule. If you are familiar with the history, RE set up a factory in India, and initially sent over components to be assembled there. The English factory eventually shipped over the tooling to its Indian factory, the English company went belly up, and the Indian factory just kept making the 1950s bikes.

A number of parts on my Bullet are from England, BTW, and were made for the original English Bullet. The 500/4 speeds are allowed to race in Vintage classes (classic 60s, IIRC) because they are for all intents and purposes a new 50 year old motorcycle.

ndbullet500
01-10-2008, 15:00
This is a unique look at the history development of the Indian RE. Note that the beat is actually the sound of a RE thumper's exhaust, a nice touch. I like my modern Kawasaki more than my Enfield, but I love my Enfield in a way I doubt I ever will my Kawasaki.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1sLs8_vO_fk&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1sLs8_vO_fk&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Motorweek for a less funky overview:
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/fbBMiuDSQWs&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/fbBMiuDSQWs&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

fnfalman
01-10-2008, 15:16
A motorbike in the living room? Ain't no big thang.

A couple of years back when the BMW K1200S came out, some New Yorker non-rider dude decided to buy it and displays it in his living as a piece of sculpture art because he thought that it was the prettiest thing ever.

I'm a BMW lover, but to say that the K-bike is the prettiest thing ever...well, it's art, and art is subjective.

ndbullet500
01-10-2008, 15:30
A motorbike in the living room? Ain't no big thang.

A couple of years back when the BMW K1200S came out, some New Yorker non-rider dude decided to buy it and displays it in his living as a piece of sculpture art because he thought that it was the prettiest thing ever.

I'm a BMW lover, but to say that the K-bike is the prettiest thing ever...well, it's art, and art is subjective.

In the living room, nah. That's my dining room, bro! Looking out of the living room. If I ever get my Vincent, I will absolutely devote a room to it. Art is subjective, but a Vincent.....that's so perfect it is objective!

norton
01-14-2008, 19:49
I'm a BMW lover, but to say that the K-bike is the prettiest thing ever...well, it's art, and art is subjective.[/QUOTE]

Prettiest bikes ever-
Original Triumph Bonnevilles
BSA Gold Star
SS 750 Ducati

But the K bike-
Man I bet that guy has an ugly girlfriend or wife

norton
01-14-2008, 19:55
A question posed to me last week, when something caught a visitor's eye through the French doors of my living room.

I guess it was an unexpected sight.

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j12/connell10/650RXmas.jpg

ND
You must have a very understanding woman in your life-

I once suggested to Mrs. Norton that I could park my Commando in the living room. What a great conversation piece it would make.
All she had to do was give me that look.
Commando lives in my unheated garage

bac1023
02-05-2008, 20:23

There is something there as far as I can tell.