Member only forums [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Member only forums

lcarreau
01-08-2008, 10:17
There was some discussion a while back about making some of the more troublesome forums member only. Has a decision been made on this as to if it will be implemented and what forums will be included?

-Lonnie

MrsKitty
01-13-2008, 09:52
No announcements yet, Lonnie.

ax157
01-13-2008, 20:40
My understanding was that Eric has said both that SOME forums like the politics forum might be made members only.

But he has also said nothing available now would be taken away. So if he's said both, it's contradictory.

Personally, I would be opposed to it. Of course it's Eric's forum to run as he wish's.

Warp
01-15-2008, 20:33
Agree with above.

And note that we don't even have a list of paid members, so making anyting paid members only seems pretty far fetched at this point.

I would be against it anyway.

tjbert47
01-29-2008, 16:46
There was some discussion a while back about making some of the more troublesome forums member only. Has a decision been made on this as to if it will be implemented and what forums will be included?

-Lonnie

I don't see the point. Why would we do that?

Tom in TN

Eric
01-29-2008, 17:01
I don't see the point. Why would we do that?

Tom in TN

I think why we would do that should be pretty obvious: There are three or four forums that are a real PITA to manage. Many people there act like jerks. A lot of these knuckleheads get banned, manage to sneak back onto the site and then jump right back into the fray, in their problem forum of choice. Making those forums paid forums would cut way down on the problem traffic.

I am kicking around a modified way of dealing with these problem forums. They would remain free forums, but no new member could post there until he had been on the site at least, say 30 days. There would be two exceptions to this: One, they bought a paid membership ,which would grant them immediate access. Two, they bought a problem-forum access subscription for a nominal fee, say $5, which wouldn't give them any other special privileges, except the ability to take part in the problem forums sooner than they would otherwise have been able. This subscription would be in effect until their user group was promoted to the next level automatically. People who acted up in those forums, but not badly enough to warrant banning, could also be demoted back to the user group that didn't allow access to those forums. This demotion could be a timed or permanent event, that the subscription system may or may not be set up to address. I haven't worked out all the details yet.

If a problem user did get banned and sneak back onto the site, he could cool his heels for a month before he could jump back into the thick of things, or he could buy a paid membership or problem-forum subscription and risk losing his money if he got banned again. If he did get banned again, not only would he lose his subscription fee, but he will have burned that Pay Pal account. By this I mean that he will have already have used that account and he could not use it again without alerting us to his new identity.

This new system would grandfather in everyone who is already a member. I believe a system like this would greatly cut down the signal-to-noise ration in those forums. There would still be ways to exploit this system, but it would make things much more difficult for our frequent troublemakers. What does everyone think of this solution? Eric

tjbert47
01-29-2008, 17:10
OK I see what you are saying. Not too many are going to waste their money just to make trouble. I think it would likely work.

Tom in TN

Cclass
01-29-2008, 18:01
What does everyone think of this solution? Eric

I think it's a fantastic idea for the troublesome forums. :thumbsup: