Coffee anyone? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Coffee anyone?

Spyder Teeth
01-09-2008, 09:09
Do you just dump a teaspoon full of generic instant coffee into a cup of boiling water or do you go to great lengths for the perfect cup of Joe? Somewhere in between? Share your grinding, roasting and brewing secrets here. What's it take to attain Glock-like perfection in a cup of coffee?

sweetatergal
01-09-2008, 10:55
Hubby and I grind our own. We just buy the the whole beans already roasted (usually Columbian Supreme) grind fine for strong coffee. I like to add Bailey's to mine when I'm home on the weekends. :supergrin: Now my BIL goes as far as buying the green beans and roasting them himself. He roasted some and gave to us for Christmas, it was an Indian Roast. Had to use a good bit to get it strong enough. It was more of a mild roast.

Usually during the week, I will stop at my local Coffee Shop in my hometown (locally owned and operated.....not Starbucks) and get one of their speciality coffee's. :supergrin:

mitchshrader
01-09-2008, 11:03
when i'm in a mood for big-finned cadillacs, dirty dancin', and etoufee and jambalaya for breakfast, i drink Community coffee..

if i'm just batchin'.. it's medium & dark roast Guatamalen mixed, (home roast).. maybe with a littul columbian thrown in..

if i'm showing off, it's Kenya AA and Kauai, both roasted dark, ..

and if i'm frozen and shivering i float a littul cognac on it to keep it from clotting up..

tavo
01-10-2008, 03:13

PDogSniper
01-10-2008, 13:38
I don't roast and grind but I do get my coffee from Costa Rica.

I brew it a cup at a time. I heat 1 1/3's cup of water to almost boiling and place 1 tablespoon of coffee in it. Let it steep for a minute stirring gently and then filter it through a muslin bag.... Mmmmm....!

jh9x18ky
01-10-2008, 13:53
I usually settle for a good cup of Folgers drip coffee. Evey time we camp out, I take an old metal perk maker..... There is something about perked coffee from an open fire either just at dark, or just at daybreak. Nothing wrong with adding some spike to your coffee either, no matter how ya make it... especially if you feel a cold coming on... or have the sniffles.. or even if you only think there might be a chance you will get a cold in the future...:whistling:

Short Cut
01-10-2008, 14:05
I like good coffee, but damn if the cost of beans in the grocery star doesn't make me want to go cold turkey. So a few years ago I found http://www.coffeebeandirect.com/ and have been real happy with their quality and prices.

Typically I buy 5# bags of preroasted beans, mosty Dark Costa Rican then I'll experiment with a bag or two of something else. Their Frech Roast Columbian is really good for the price too.

beemerphile
01-10-2008, 15:42
Bunn A10A commercial coffemaker hooked up to the output of a 6 stage reverse osmosis water system. Rigorous washing of decanter and funnel between uses. Unbleached paper filters. (now I get cheap) 8 o'clock coffee (beans). Krups grinder. Finding the right amount of coffee for a given cup count is key. If you try to work the coffee too hard, you will over-extract and end up with a bitter taste.

That's all I know about it.

The Pontificator
01-11-2008, 11:16
Somewhere in my storage room I have a backpacker's espresso maker and little enameled espresso cup. :supergrin:

That's dedication, baby!

uhlawpup
01-11-2008, 12:01
I prefer a lighter roast, as it tends to be higher in caffeine and lighter in acids. One of the finest I have found is the Guatemala Antigua that Central Market sells in bulk. It is only $8 a pound, and it is my sole brew both at home and at work, except for the very rarely occasional Jamaica Blue Mountain blend. I grind my own, too, and drip brew into a thermal carafe.

MrsKitty
01-11-2008, 16:41
Sometimes I grind the beans and toss them in a drip coffee maker. Other times, it's an art-form:

1. Fill teapot with water. Set on stove and wait until it almost whistles.

2. While waiting, grind beans.

3. Add beans to French Press.

4. Add water. Stir once.

5. Let steep four minutes (or longer).

6. While steeping, froth some milk (I use a frother made by Bodum that is similar to a French Press.

7. Pour coffee. If there is more than is going to be drank immediately, the rest goes into a thermal carafe that I preheated with hot water.

8. Add sugar. Stir. Add frothed milk. Depending on my mood or the flavor of the coffee (I love flavored beans but not on a daily basis) I may add some cinnamon sugar on top of the frothed milk for looks.

9. DEVOUR! :hearts:

10. When I get to the bottom of the cup, hopefully I find some "crumbs" of beans that made it through the press. Those are dessert. :)

MrsKitty
01-11-2008, 16:43
Somewhere in my storage room I have a backpacker's espresso maker and little enameled espresso cup. :supergrin:

That's dedication, baby!

OK, that defiantly tops my whisk collection. :rofl: :wavey:

KAZ
01-11-2008, 18:01
Another home roaster here, it is one of the best things I've had the pleasure to get into. Green coffee beans will last a year if stored dry in a burlap bag,when roasted they go stale in short order so I roast no more than a week ahead. My current fave is La Minita Tarrazu (they select from 100lbs of bean to grade 23lbs of Tarrazu) from Cosa Rica. I use a I-Roast by Hearthware which will automatically roast enough for several days in less than 10 minutes. Then grind it in a good burr grinder, and brew in a Technivorm(the only drip brewer used by the coffee testers). You will make the perfect cup of coffee everytime at a real cost savings after you pay for the roaster $180, and buy some green beans. You can get by with roasting in the oven,grinding in an inexpensive roatery grinder and brewing in what ever you have, you will notice the difference in fresh beans. Regards

noway
01-12-2008, 08:09
Coffee is a classic here in Miami. The smaller cubano cafe have some of the best coffee for drinking, mucher better than starbucks and much cheaper.

here's my setup....

i have a latin coffee maker , a can of pilon or bustelo cafe and half a cup of milk.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d200/kenfelix/cafe/cafe01.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d200/kenfelix/cafe/cafe02.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d200/kenfelix/cafe/cafe03.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d200/kenfelix/cafe/cafe04.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d200/kenfelix/cafe/cafe05.jpg

noway
01-12-2008, 08:09
final product

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d200/kenfelix/cafe/cafe06.jpg

antediluvianist
01-13-2008, 07:34
I have some civet cats in my backyard (I'm not in the US.)

Best coffee you ever tasted.

Seafarer12
01-26-2008, 17:48
I buy fresh roasted beans from costco. Grind them fresh everyday. I usually make it med strong. Not starbucks strong but you can't see the bottom of the cup either. It's the one last vice I still have so I need to atleast drink good coffee.

Aquanewt
02-10-2008, 14:19
I deal with an outfit called Gloria Jean's. Good Coffee, good prices and much better attitudes than Starbucks

keeper85
02-15-2008, 13:08
I also roast my own and it is well worth the effort due to how much better the coffee taste.

My favorite beans are Kona and Puerto Rican but I presently have about six different green beans and I like them all.

biblefreak
02-18-2008, 21:39
Bunn A10A commercial coffemaker hooked up to the output of a 6 stage reverse osmosis water system. Rigorous washing of decanter and funnel between uses. Unbleached paper filters. (now I get cheap) 8 o'clock coffee (beans). Krups grinder. Finding the right amount of coffee for a given cup count is key. If you try to work the coffee too hard, you will over-extract and end up with a bitter taste.

That's all I know about it.

I LOVE 8 O'Clock coffee! Wife and I are pretty big coffee drinkers and generally stay away from the cheaper stuff i.e. Folgers and the like. On a whim after reading another post like this on GT I picked up a bag of EOC and have been drinking it ever since. Smooth, never bitter even if you over grind a little, gotta love it. I have even convinced some hard core "other cheap coffees here" drinkers to jump on the band wagon! One note, buy the whole beans and grind them yourself. I made the mistake of picking up a bag of pre-ground for the office and was sorely disappointed.

punkture
02-22-2008, 10:38
i only percolate. i've recently found some of the BEST beans.
www.oldtracecoffee.com

Glockdude1
02-22-2008, 12:34
Jamaica Blue Mountain......

PDogSniper
02-25-2008, 13:04
Jamica Blue Mountain......

I want to try this and keep forgetting about it... I've tried Kona and Peaberry and didn't care for them. I'm perfectly happy with my Costa Rican from CafeBritt....

ateamer
02-26-2008, 16:10
Jamaica Blue Mountain......
I bought a bag in Jamaica a couple months ago. Good stuff.

Anyone ever have Turkish coffee? A buddy's parents work for Boeing, stationed in Kuwait. When they come home, they bring a few bags of Turkish coffee and he kicks down. It's flavored with cardomom. Mmmmm...

Big Bird
02-26-2008, 17:38
I like good coffee, but damn if the cost of beans in the grocery star doesn't make me want to go cold turkey. So a few years ago I found http://www.coffeebeandirect.com/ and have been real happy with their quality and prices.

Typically I buy 5# bags of preroasted beans, mosty Dark Costa Rican then I'll experiment with a bag or two of something else. Their Frech Roast Columbian is really good for the price too.

I looked em up and ordered 10 lbs. It sounds like a great deal. I have a Jura Capresso E9 super automatic machine that we need to feed and buying Starbucks of beans from the local coffe boutique is getting old.

FastJuice
02-26-2008, 18:13
Kona Coffee only these days. God touched the Hawaiian islands personally. Everything that grows from that soil is freaking incredible.

Glockdude1
02-27-2008, 08:21
I bought a bag in Jamaica a couple months ago. Good stuff.

Anyone ever have Turkish coffee? A buddy's parents work for Boeing, stationed in Kuwait. When they come home, they bring a few bags of Turkish coffee and he kicks down. It's flavored with cardomom. Mmmmm...

The Cardamom spice is great in Turkish coffee.

:cool: