Bait casting reel [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Bait casting reel

GUNZEALOT
05-20-2002, 11:24
I'm looking to buy a bait casting reel. I've used the coffee can and low profile types and both work for me. The Abu Garcia Ambassadeur reel has been recommended to me by a couple of people. I'll be using this reel for trolling and also for casting for pike and bass with spinners, rapala's, and spoons. Any sugestions on a good reel to buy?

Glock You!
05-20-2002, 14:51
Shimano Calais......in a word "awesome".;a

PACKIN' PLASTIC
05-21-2002, 01:50
Shimano guy here.

They have a complete line.

PP

shrpshtr
05-21-2002, 14:14
i second the Abu's. they make several different models. (which tend to keep me in trouble with the wife because i can't stop buying them.) they are all great. for your situation, i would recommend the 5600 because you can cast just about anything, yet it is big enough to handle trolling. (i am assuming for stripers, etc.) you can't really go wrong with any model though. if your just learning how to use a baitcaster, then you can check into their AB (anti-backlash) series. they work really good but you still have to practice quite a bit to get good and accurate with it. but, you need to do that with any baitcaster. i would also definitely stick with Abu's rods as well. the "Original" is the best medium-action rod i have ever used for bass fishing.

i will also give and honorable mention to Lew's. they are very smooth but can get pretty pricey.

HTH!

switch625
05-22-2002, 09:40
ambassador 5500's are all i own. my dad has some almost as old as me. they are durable and for the price, often less, you get alot of quality. since they redesigned them a couple years ago nobody comes close in my opinion.

i've tried other exspensive reels $100plus including shimano. i took them back cause they weren't any better and sometimes worse than the ambassadors. not worth the price diff in my opinion.

i've caught many stripers and hybrids that have peeled off line from the drag like a freight train. the 5500 handles them fine.

www.basspro.com has the best deal i've seen. they have an ambassador(3 or 4 mods) and basspro rod(i have 3 nice!) for $100. little more for the larger reel.

good luck!

Sharker
05-22-2002, 12:02
I live in Florida and tear up reels all the time on sharks tarpon and Kingfish. The 5500 and 6500 are great casting reels. If you want a reel thats cheap but more than adequate for fresh water than you have found your reel. I would go with the 6500 cuz it has a clicker, but it doesn't matter. Personally I only use Penn reels because the fish i catch often run 3-400 yards. The drags on the abus don't like that. But in fresh water its not a problem.

Rob19
05-23-2002, 13:11
I like my Quantum. I think it is the 600i or somethin'. five or six ball bearings, 6:1 gear ratio. about a C note. rdogout

23skidoo
05-23-2002, 22:59
First Choice: Shimano Calcutta My favorite reel, hands down.

Second Choice: Ambassadeur 5500 C3 Holds more/heavier test line than the 100 series Calcutta I have. About 1/2 price of the Calcutta also.

I have landed several large Pike on both reels. I spool the Calcutta with 12# Stren and the 5500 with 17# Stren. I prefer the Calcutta if I'm casting into the wind and I prefer the 5500 if I'm making short flips to the bank or other cover.

Win a few. Lose the rest.