Guns at Ft. Irwin [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Guns at Ft. Irwin

deadday
01-12-2008, 09:44
If I wind up out that way, would I be able to have my firearms on post or would the PRK rules apply?

drew

Biscuitsjam
01-12-2008, 12:27
Personally-owned weapons on-post? I really don't know much about the rules for such things, but I think it's usually a no-no. You may be able to deposit the firearms at some kind of arms room while you're on post or something, but I doubt you'd be allowed to retain control. Military installations are federal land and covered by federal law, not state law.

Again, I'm not an expert on such matters, but I'd consider it highly doubtful. In what capacity do you plan to visit Fort Irwin?

fourdeuce2
01-12-2008, 12:59
If you own an AR15, don't bother bringing it. It's against the law to bring it into PRK.:upeyes:

SeriousStudent
01-12-2008, 13:05
I was stationed at Camp Pendleton (California) a long danged time ago. We had to keep everything locked in the unit armory. It was for our safety, and so the armorers could sneak it out to the range and shoot it without our permission.

(Angry rant: Wait until you turn in a personally-owned Colt Python, and draw it back with the front sight blade missing. Someone finally lost two stripes over that.)

My personal recommendation is to call the Provost Marshal's Office, and identify yourself as some anonymous SFC. Ask them.

Here's their phone number:

http://www.irwin.army.mil/Services/Other/MilitaryPolice/

And thank you for your service to our country!

deadday
01-12-2008, 20:10
My personal recommendation is to call the Provost Marshal's Office, and identify yourself as some anonymous SFC. Ask them.

Here's their phone number:

http://www.irwin.army.mil/Services/Other/MilitaryPolice/

And thank you for your service to our country!

I like that idea :rofl: And thank you! God I'm going to miss Texas when I leave....

drew

SeriousStudent
01-12-2008, 23:28
I like that idea :rofl: And thank you! God I'm going to miss Texas when I leave....

drew

Shiner Bock beer, BBQ brisket, cowgirls in tight jeans..... Yeah, it's tough out here on the frontier. ;)

Hurry back when you get a chance, and we'll buy you a tasty beverage. :cheers:

NIB
01-15-2008, 15:01
Every post has it's own regulations when it comes to privately owned weapons. It's always a good idea to call ahead and find out from the Provost Marshal. Check the website also, they may have the rules on there. Outprocessing should be able to provide some type of PCS booklet explaining the regulations and other stuff on your new duty station.

However just a note.....many times you will get the wrong info from your unit and the PM as has been my experiance. Read the post regulations as signed off by the CG concerning POWs. You can't go wrong with them.

You can bring in your AR-15 to Commiefornia as a service member. You will have to fill out some paperwork and all to exempt you but I'm not sure about any hi-capacity magazines. I have no idea how to go about this so you will want to find and ask someone who has done it.

deadday
01-15-2008, 21:57
Every post has it's own regulations when it comes to privately owned weapons. It's always a good idea to call ahead and find out from the Provost Marshal. Check the website also, they may have the rules on there. Outprocessing should be able to provide some type of PCS booklet explaining the regulations and other stuff on your new duty station.

However just a note.....many times you will get the wrong info from your unit and the PM as has been my experiance. Read the post regulations as signed off by the CG concerning POWs. You can't go wrong with them.

You can bring in your AR-15 to Commiefornia as a service member. You will have to fill out some paperwork and all to exempt you but I'm not sure about any hi-capacity magazines. I have no idea how to go about this so you will want to find and ask someone who has done it.

The weapons are all good according to Irwin, I was wondering whether PRK laws would apply, haven't got an answer back from the PM, and when I called CHP, they said they would have to get back to me with a response.

drew

chR|5
01-18-2008, 02:46
Ok,heres the deal. Firearms are allowed on base. You have to fill out a paper with make,model,serial#,etc. Then get it signed by ur CO, then turn it in. Firearms are not allowed in barracks, but are allowed in ur house, if married. If living in barracks,weapons are to be stored in ur arms room. No one is allowed to carry a pof concelled on base. Talk to guys in ur platoon for more info,or go to the place where u register ur pov,they will square u away. Wow, 2415hrs, sleeeeep

deadday
01-18-2008, 07:27
Ok,heres the deal. Firearms are allowed on base. You have to fill out a paper with make,model,serial#,etc. Then get it signed by ur CO, then turn it in. Firearms are not allowed in barracks, but are allowed in ur house, if married. If living in barracks,weapons are to be stored in ur arms room. No one is allowed to carry a pof concelled on base. Talk to guys in ur platoon for more info,or go to the place where u register ur pov,they will square u away. Wow, 2415hrs, sleeeeep

Right, that's the general post policy, but do I have to abide by CA laws as well, in regards to my evil rifles, my hi-cap mags, etc...

drew

tanto trader
01-18-2008, 07:48
Right, that's the general post policy, but do I have to abide by CA laws as well, in regards to my evil rifles, my hi-cap mags, etc...

drewDrew, Check out this thread at calguns http://calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=38180&highlight=military+exemption
Basicly 1 time fee of $80 to register for 1 year, but refile every year after without fees hope that helps Chris

chR|5
01-18-2008, 11:32
Drew, Check out this thread at calguns http://calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=38180&highlight=military+exemption
Basicly 1 time fee of $80 to register for 1 year, but refile every year after without fees hope that helps Chris

Never heard that.:shocked: That sucks. I have my ar15 and my pistol along with all my evil hi-cap mags. I just brought them from when I took leave and did the paper work.:supergrin:

EDIT Don't come out here if you can help it!

Dean
01-19-2008, 09:12

No you don't. At least no you didn't, when I was an Army MP and Coast Guardsman. Military personnel on the base don't have to abide by state firearms laws, unless that's changed and I can't remotely imagine that it has.

NYC has firearms registration, but the guys on the bases there don't have to do it, or did not in my day. What is the purpose of telling our soldiers it is illegal for them to own high cap mags, pistols, and rifles if they're stored in the base armory or in military quarters? I don't think the local police are going to come into the armory or the housing area and seize them.
Let me know about this.

NIB
01-26-2008, 03:33
Actually I did read while at Ft Campbell and Ft Bragg that they do abide by local and state laws.....YMMV.

deadday
01-26-2008, 19:09
Lotsa answers out there, the PMO has given me 3 different answers, CID said they had no idea....ATF said call California...

drew

Tacticool_h8tr
02-06-2008, 13:19
are you going to be living on post or off? Are you going to be living in barracks or base housing? Rank? Rule on Ft. Irwin is that you are also bound by state rules, in this case CA laws. You are supposed to register all handguns when you in process. I had hi-cap pistol mags and no one asked or cared, but I kept them in my house. If you live in barracks you are supposed to leave you weapons in in your unit's arms room. This may pose a problem. Just left Ft. Irwin last AUG

Hal9mm
03-02-2008, 18:25
isn't it funny how big of a pain in the ass it is to have something as simple as a rifle on post?

they will trust you with a machine gun in a combat zone but if you want to keep your shotgun on post, lookout!

MR. TWISTER
03-11-2008, 11:19

This is exactly what is was like on Ft. Bliss TX. when I served.