Kayak fishing? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Kayak fishing?

MrMurphy
05-21-2002, 07:39
There's a bunch of rivers around here, and a friend has a kayak. Since most of them are very slow-moving rivers, I always wondered if a kayak, being balanced, and low to the water, would enable a bass fisherman to get real close to bass (like a belly boat, but much faster) on either a river or a smaller lake (few powerboats) in inlets and coves. Either an open sea kayak or a enclosed traditional type.

What do you all think? Never heard of anyone doing it, but I think it might work. They also make no noise.

mpol777
05-21-2002, 10:05
maybe with a sea kayak, but in a sport kayak, you'd have no place to put your gear while you paddle.

dukeoftank
05-21-2002, 10:20
Why not just use a canoe.
They are just about as maneuverable as a kayak and they also have a much larger area for your gear.

PACKIN' PLASTIC
05-21-2002, 10:29
I guess it would work, but why not a belly boat?

PP

MrMurphy
05-21-2002, 10:55
Belly boats aren't exactly fast if you want to move around a bit (Having used them I know!) and canoes have a nasty habit of tipping over if you're not careful when retrieving a fish (have seen that happen twice). A sea kayak would put you ON the water where fish retrieval is easy and is very hard to flip unless you get a strong crosswave (nearly had that happen to me off the coast of CA in one) yet can be paddled far, quickly, and quietly with a lot of gear.

Just a thought. One of those random "why the hell not?" things.

PACKIN' PLASTIC
05-21-2002, 11:03
Go for it.

PP

MrMurphy
05-21-2002, 13:14
Problem #1. No time to fish

Problem #2. No kayak! :) It was a fun thought though. Maybe if somebody has a sea kayak they can test it and tell us how it went?

05-21-2002, 13:38
Have been in kyaks, alot of fun and more stable than a canoe. Check out Wilderness Systems kyaks, they have an awesome fishing kyak. I think their web site is wildernesssystems.com. Once you see it you will want nothing less. Im still saving!! Sells for around $800 but I have seen it for less.

05-21-2002, 13:41
Wow misspelled KAYAK 3 times!! I dont deserve one, am going to sleep.

flyboy5432H
05-21-2002, 14:08
if your looking for info on kayak fishing go to kayakfishing.com, has message boards for all types of fishing.

i personally fish both freshwater, intercoastal salt and offshore salt in kayaks. i have two, an islander ventrua and a dimension typhoon, both rigged with anchors, rod holders, live bait wells and tackle storage.

if your want more info e-mail me at Michael_Uleski@hotmail.com, tight lines...

DJ Niner
05-21-2002, 18:25
This month's (June 2002) Field and Stream magazine has a short article on Kayak fishing. Good basic info and/or food for thought.

hikerpaddler
05-22-2002, 01:13
Canoes are better suited to this pursuit, but both sea and moderately rockered playboats are fine for fishing. You'll want to rig a bungee or something to secure your pole and a small box of lures. Most kayaks have a grab loop of some sort on the bow. The tip of your rod goes there, and the butt is secured however you wish near you (the lure is secured on the eyelet nearest the reel. Very peaceful, but you don't get quite as much old-school relaxation as with a canoe.

flyboy5432H
05-22-2002, 06:38
canoes are nice for storage, but kayaks have alot of advantages

a kayak is easier to handle and faster for a single paddler. with a double bladed paddle you can turn your craft much tighter and also have more tracking, especially if you add a rudder to your boat.

kayaks come in two main forms, sit-inside, and sit-on-top. for colder weather fishermen a sit-inside is a much warmer and dryer boat. for warmer climates or situations a sit-on-top is hard to beat. most are stable enough to stand up in when the water is calm. rod holders can be installed both flushmounted or with swivel rod holders *if you want to try trolling*. as i put up in my first reply go to www.kayakfishing.com for any ideas, there are kayak fishermen there from all over the U.S. both freshwater and salt. for manufactures try:

islander kayaks
cobra kayaks
ocean kayak
heritage kayak
old town canoe and kayak
dimension kayak
wilderness systems
mainstream kayak
hobie
perception

all have many different models to choose from. as for your trying to sneak up on bass, i use mine for sightfishing for redfish in saltwater, easily get within 20 feet without the fish knowing i was there. if your going to try kayak fishing best thing to do is to paddle the boat your interested in before making any purchase. tight lines...

P.S. as for tipping over, i took a 70lb tarpon last fall out of my islander ventura, was a heck of a ride :-)

duncan
05-22-2002, 07:31
I've always dreamed of kayaking with the orca whales in the Puget Sound.

Sharker
05-22-2002, 12:07
I live in N Florida and always use my Kayaks for fishing the beaches under pogy schools. To date I have caught tarpon, Jacks, Macks and even a 300# spinner shark (like a mako... jumps all the time). I used tyhe Kayaks cuz I was a poor college student, but now I use it in place of the boat alot because it is really quite and MUCH more fun. If You use a sit on top they have scuppers that can be used as a rod holder when trolling. Good luck

Ross Perot
05-23-2002, 01:43
Priced about the same as kayaks, canoes are better for fishing, and are far versatile. Kayaks give you more of a sense of freedom, though. Either way, you'll have a good time.