New EMT [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : New EMT

txgunguy
01-15-2008, 23:24
I am in Texas and I finished my EMT certification in July of 2007. I have yet to do anything with it. I took it because I wanted to become a firefighter but I'm having trouble finding info on how to get my foot in the door. Most places around here want Paramedics but I hear thats not the norm in other states and areas. (I'm in Dallas/Fort Worth). Any advice?

Short Bus
01-16-2008, 21:04
Are you on a department anywhere? You can volunteer at the local FD. Are you wanting to do fire or EMS?

rk246
01-16-2008, 22:51
Start taking any and every test you can, the more you take the better you get. Getting a good FD job is very competitive, because it is the best job in the world. Don't get discouraged and don't give up, most guys take about 7 tests before they get hired. Talk to different dept's, go in and do ride alongs, make friends with as many fireman as you can. Having guys on the dept. that can help you out is a huge plus. Remember to be a very humble guest when they do let you ride along, bring something to the station with you, ie homebaked cookies, ice cream, etc. Be the last one to get your plate when you are eating and the first up to do dishes, offer to help out with everything, don't offer your opionions on anything fire related, listen to the stories and advice and ask lots of questions.

Remember it is worth all the hard work, its is truly a great job.

Sucka
01-17-2008, 11:43
Start taking any and every test you can, the more you take the better you get. Getting a good FD job is very competitive, because it is the best job in the world. Don't get discouraged and don't give up, most guys take about 7 tests before they get hired. Talk to different dept's, go in and do ride alongs, make friends with as many fireman as you can. Having guys on the dept. that can help you out is a huge plus. Remember to be a very humble guest when they do let you ride along, bring something to the station with you, ie homebaked cookies, ice cream, etc. Be the last one to get your plate when you are eating and the first up to do dishes, offer to help out with everything, don't offer your opionions on anything fire related, listen to the stories and advice and ask lots of questions.

Remember it is worth all the hard work, its is truly a great job.

+1

It took me a few years to get on with a department in a very competitive area, it's just part of the game. I worked for several years as a medic for private ambulance before i got picked up.

Just to add to the above, try and get a job with AMR, or some other private ambulance company and get some experience. After about a year of EMT work, apply for medic school. If there are volunteer departments in the area, that's a great start. When you're around others (be it EMT or volunteers) you hear a lot more about testing, and learn a lot more about interviewing, where to work and where not to, ect. If you just sit around and wait for something to come to you, be prepared to wait your whole life. Firefighters are type A personalities, and trust me the competition is already out there working as an EMT, getting contacts in the departments and doing ride-a-longs.

BlitzAttack
01-17-2008, 20:50
congrats on one step closer. Start taking every test you are eligable for.It dont matter if you do bad ,the more you take the better you'll get,so dont get bummed.Meanwhile you might look at going through the academy to open more doors,or go straight to medic(most north texas cities will hire as medic and send you through fire school) I work for the Collin County Community College Fire Academy in mckinney,and definatly recommend to anyone.Top notch instructors,top notch equipment and facilities.And we offer a night class if you work during the day. Good luck and keep the faith:supergrin:

Sucka
01-17-2008, 23:44
I put myself through an academy. In the end it really didn't change anything or open any additional doors, but it doesn't hurt either. When i talk to fresh EMT's and those attending fire tech school, i always advise them to go the medic route and get volunteer time if they can. It really depends on the area you live i suppose. Where i did all my schooling it was all about that P, they didn't care about your fire background. Any test that didn't require your medic license drew around 5-10K applicants. Jobs that require medic certs drew 10-50 people. Some departments had to actively recruit to fill FFPM spots. Just something to think about.

BlitzAttack
01-18-2008, 16:27
I put myself through an academy. In the end it really didn't change anything or open any additional doors, but it doesn't hurt either. When i talk to fresh EMT's and those attending fire tech school, i always advise them to go the medic route and get volunteer time if they can. It really depends on the area you live i suppose. Where i did all my schooling it was all about that P, they didn't care about your fire background. Any test that didn't require your medic license drew around 5-10K applicants. Jobs that require medic certs drew 10-50 people. Some departments had to actively recruit to fill FFPM spots. Just something to think about.

hmm, i dont about denver, but here in north texas the doors do open because most cities require you to be certified. 5 to 10k is crazy :wow:
about 500-1000 is norm for the larger cities that dont require certs around these parts.I agree about the medic.And it would probably benifit you having all your emt-b knowledge still fresh on your mind.