Concealed Handgun License renewal deadline looms for many [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Concealed Handgun License renewal deadline looms for many

KnightOfTheOlde
01-16-2008, 07:45
Concealed Handgun License renewal deadline looms for many

Four years ago this week Ohio self-defense activists and the Buckeye State Sheriff's Association were celebrating a hard-fought gubernatorial signature on House Bill 12, Ohio's Concealed Handgun Licensure Law.

Beginning just three months from now and continuing through the rest of 2008, Ohio's 88 county sheriffs and almost half of the state's 100,000 licenseholders alike may be singing a different tune, as they struggle to comply with a ridiculous and confusing state law governing license renewals.

For the full article please visit

www.buckeyefirearms.org/article4134.html

KnightOfTheOlde
01-19-2008, 09:36
Might be worth pinning this..

firedog978
01-20-2008, 07:03
I'm sure some of my friends are wishing they were as 'anal' about organization as they say I am.

nikegolf13
01-21-2008, 01:31
Oh, Lord... Mine doesn't expire until 2/09, but I had the mindset that it would be a simple procedure. That's what I get for thinking! :faint:

Looks like I will have to call the guy that certified me almost 4 years ago and see if he keeps copies. :steamed: What a PITA!

gjwheels
01-26-2008, 16:49
On Wednesday of this week (the 23rd), I went to the Clermont County Sheriffs Department and applied for a renewal of my CCW license. Sheriff Rodenberg has always been a strong proponent of concealed carry.

It would have been a rather speedy process except for one minor glitch. The electronic fingerprint reader was unable to properly read the prints of two of my fingers. I had to go to the Clermont County Jail in the same area and have the prints taken with ink and card.

I was disappointed that I had to complete an application for renewal that was nearly identical to the first application and required home addresses back to when I was 18 yrs old. I am 74, so that was a chore.

You may legally apply for a renewal up to 90 days before the expiration date. Mine expires on April 22. I was advised by the clerk that I would be receiving a phone call from them within 3 weeks and could pick up the new license at that time.

You will need a photo copy of your cerificate showing yoy have passed the qualifying course and a recent photo plus $55 cash, money order or certified check.

Clermont County is concealed carry friendly and all the people involved in licensing are a reflection of Sheriff Rodenberg. 4 Star for sure.

Rimmer
01-28-2008, 18:40
A very timely topic indeed.

We just completed another training class this past weekend. I looked at my license knowing it expired this year but was unsure as to the renewal time-line.

I hit the link, filled out the form and printed. I also forwarded the link on to other instructors and mentioned they need to start digging for copies of the certs for the previous groups back when as they will be calling. It would be nice if we could forward them what they need before they ask and point them to the link for more info.

Thanks again and this needs to be a sticky!

LabTech
01-29-2008, 16:49
I guess we're lucky here in Athens County because Sheriff Vern Castle did not require our original certificate. After reading this thread, I freaked out and checked my file from four years ago and I still have my original. Vern's boys must have just copied it.

firedog978
01-29-2008, 18:01
I have my original also from 4 years ago.
Clermont County is my original issue (immediately adjacent) and I can't speak more kindly of their operation. A.J. Rodenberg Sheriff is top notch and runs a very smooth operation.

Ol' 12-toes
01-29-2008, 19:03
Ross County accepted a *copy* of my training certificate without question in 2004.

March 3 is the day I plan to file for renewal - it's about 85 days prior to expiration. And I guess I could file the original since I'll need a new one next time.

p3v5
01-30-2008, 21:20
So what is needed for renewal , a copy of your priginal certificate?

Ol' 12-toes
01-31-2008, 10:16
So what is needed for renewal , a copy of your priginal certificate?You need the certificate. It may depend on the specific sheriff's policies whether a copy is acceptable. If you are renewing, the original won't do you any good at the *next* renewal anyway.

Cruiseron
02-10-2008, 20:04
Did you ever think that you may also need the original training certificate for proof of training when you regualify?

Denied
02-12-2008, 13:02
Just renewed today (2/11/08) at Warren County, in and out in 30 minutes or less. Had the old training certificate from 04. You do need an appointment (513-695-1280), she said they would call me as soon as the finger print check came back from FBI, week to 10 days.

93GT
02-12-2008, 16:02
I am not looking forward to the day when I must take this course instead of just showing an A.D. ID and some kind of proof of training.

DistantTea
02-13-2008, 13:26
Warren County is the best. They're so great over at that office that I thoroughly enjoyed getting my license. My renewal isn't for another year but I couldn't imagine going anywhere else, especially since I'm local to the office and get same day license service from them.

LawDog2006
02-16-2008, 13:46
Well, since I've moved to Shelby County since getting my license, do any of you guys have experience here or one of my adjacent counties (Mercer, Darke, Auglaize, Logan, Champaign, or Miami)?

Cruiseron
03-10-2008, 08:05
Well, since I've moved to Shelby County since getting my license, do any of you guys have experience here or one of my adjacent counties (Mercer, Darke, Auglaize, Logan, Champaign, or Miami)?

Mercer is fine. Never saw a uniformed officer. The ladies at the front desk took care of it all. Renewed mine, took six days. I followed all the rules, took my own picture and printed it out at home. Took "copies" of my training cert.
Read the law guys, it says a copy of the certificate!