Has Cleveland's mayor finally learned that it's about the criminals? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Has Cleveland's mayor finally learned that it's about the criminals?

KnightOfTheOlde
01-16-2008, 07:55
Has Cleveland's mayor finally learned that it's about the criminals?

By Ken Hanson

The Cleveland Plain Dealer recently reported that Cleveland Mayor Frank “Blame the Guns” Jackson has announced a new crackdown on crime. With skepticism, I dove into the story, only to be astounded with the details.

Cleveland has finally launched a crime crackdown that will crackdown on criminals rather than inanimate objects! Maybe the years we have spent screaming at the ocean that is Cleveland’s anti-gun groupthink is finally breaking through.

The story goes on to detail actions and plans that will, in my humble opinion, actually crack down on crime - things like targeting criminals who use guns for stiffer sentences, aggressive community policing, enforcing existing laws and good record keeping. Blissfully absent from the program is any call for new laws or blame shifting. It appears, for once, that Cleveland is going to hitch up their belt and do some tough work rather than engage in political grandstanding.

We at Buckeye Firearms Association applaud this approach, and look forward with guarded optimism to continued reports. Our concern all along has been that Mayor Jackson is all too ready to blame mere objects rather than the people who wield them, and the recent months have provided no shortage of evidence that Jackson was more interested in declaring a war on guns rather than a war on crime.

In recent months, Jackson, with the aid of complicit reporters at the Plain Dealer, has been willing to attack a perceived “lack of laws” as to blame for Cleveland’s crime problem. One push was introducing legislation in the General Assembly to address the non-existent Juvenile Gun loophole. In response to Jackson’s allegations that Juveniles were wandering the streets of Cleveland with guns and Cleveland was powerless to stop it, Buckeye Firearms Association submitted a Public Records Request to Cleveland asking for copies of the research backing up this allegation and copies of incident reports detailing the encounters...you know, things that investigative reporters at the Plain Dealer would typically request as background rather than merely serving as a cheering section.

To date, Cleveland has not produced a single case to back up the claimed problem of Juveniles with guns going un-punished.

to read the full article kindly visit

http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/article4140.html

NEO Clevelander
02-03-2008, 23:02
Unfortunately, there's really no research needed to support the claim that juveniles have firearms in Cleveland. If the point is that they're going unpunished, that's something different, but the number of armed robberies by teenagers in Cleveland is blatantly obviouse. I'm a Cleveland business owner, and I know right in my area there have been several recent robberies by what were described as "teenage gunmen". In one recent case, one boy held a clerk at gunpoint while the other screamed "shoot her! shoot her!" repeatedly, in front of witnesses, although she was complying.

anyplainjoe
02-05-2008, 10:02
Good job BFA at keeping the pressure on. I liked reading about the behind the scenes investigative legwork you folks did in looking at the records showing the city didn't do squat to actually enforce any of its gun rules.