FTF Gun sale rules [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : FTF Gun sale rules

bwphoto
01-17-2008, 02:19
I was thinking of attempting to sell/trade a revolver I own at the gun show this weekend (1/17-1/19) at the state fairgrounds.

I'm relatively new to AZ, but in Michigan the person needed to have a CCW license or a purchase permit from their county LEO. I've heard it is not that complicated in other states, but can't seem to google up any reliable info for AZ. Anyone know? And, anyone going to the show, or is it a crappy one? Just heard the ad on the radio today and thought about going.

Thanks.

fofinger
01-20-2008, 17:16
well I saw this a bit too late.....I hope you had good luck...

bwphoto
01-20-2008, 18:29
Well I ended up not going, so it isn't too late! How does the law work in AZ? I tried finding it via google but didn't have much luck.

Sam Spade
01-21-2008, 11:23
Well I ended up not going, so it isn't too late! How does the law work in AZ? I tried finding it via google but didn't have much luck.

Welcome to the land of the free. Don't sell your weapons to someone you already know is a felon or an illegal alien. Other than that, here's the flow:

1. Show gun.
2. Agree on price.
3. Trade your gun for his money/stuff.

Any other conditions or proceedures are purely your choice. Radical, huh?

fofinger
01-22-2008, 16:23
to protect yourself try to get a copy of his ID and have him sign a statement that he is not a felon and that he is purchasing the gun on such and such a date.... keep the statement forever.....

fofinger
01-22-2008, 16:28
here this book is great

http://www.bloomfieldpress.com/agog.htm

bwphoto
01-22-2008, 18:28
Wow! That easy? Thanks. And fofinger, I was wondering about any liability or assurances I could get so that it wouldn't come back to me. When I bought it in Michigan the SN was linked to me, which is why I am concerned about its future, to some degree.

templetonhal
01-23-2008, 20:17
Be careful, there were several people from last year that were selling as private parties and got in trouble for selling to another person that did not have an AZ driver's license.

+1, if the person is legit they would not balk at signing a proof of purchase form that had his drivers license number, address and signature. Keep the paper forever. If the person balks, walk away.

For that reason I rarely do face to face, I'd rather put it up for consignment in a gun shop and get the gun off my name cleanly. You may not make much money but you would rest easier knowing the gun is no longer in your name.

Lone_Wolfe
01-28-2008, 22:29
I always offer up my AZ ID even if the seller doesn't ask. If I'm the seller I DO ask.

blueiron
01-29-2008, 11:48
Ask for an Arizona CCW permit. I will gladly present it as ID, but I will not present my driver's license to just anyone because of ID theft concerns.

bwphoto
02-08-2008, 21:37
Thanks for all the tips. I missed that gun show but saw a Xroads of the West one coming up this month. I'll try there.

Lone_Wolfe
02-08-2008, 23:32
PM me the info on the gun you're selling.