GI Bill Education Program Questions [Archive] - Glock Talk


View Full Version : GI Bill Education Program Questions

01-17-2008, 21:16
GI Bill Education Program Questions (

<!-- end #article-header --> The following answers to Frequently Asked Questions will help you understand how to make the most of your benefits.
<!-- end #article-teaser --> Tip

Get Started Today!
If you haven't found a school that has VA-approved programs, then the best way to get started is's "School Finder (,14302,,00.html)," which will help you get information from fully accredited colleges and universities that can help you with the GI Bill application process.

<!-- end #article-tip -->
<!-- end #article-body .floatbox -->GI Bill FAQ Topics:
Reserve GI Bill (
GI Bill Transferability (
Application Process (
GI Bill Time Limit (
Graduate School (
GI Bill "Buy-Up" (
GI Bill "Top-Up" (
Reserve GI Bill Questions:
Is there a new GI Bill program for reservists returning from Iraq and Afghanistan?

Yes. On October 28, 2004. The new benefit, Chapter 1607, gives certain individuals who were activated after Sept. 11, 2001 either eligibility for education benefits or eligibility for increased benefits. This program is called the Reserve Education Assistance Program (REAP).

The New REAP Benefits
The full-time rate in the table below is the rate for full-time institutional training under chapter 1607 on or after October 1, 2007.*

<table border="1" cellpadding="2" width="80%"> <tbody> <tr> <td>Time Reserve Member Serves on Active Duty </td> <td>Full-Time Rate (Eff. Oct.1, 2007-2008)</td></tr> <tr> <td>90 days but less than one year</td> <td>$440.40</td></tr> <tr> <td>One year but less than two years</td> <td>$660.60</td></tr> <tr> <td>Two years or more</td> <td>$880.80</td></tr></tbody></table> Note: Reduced rates will apply for correspondence, flight, apprenticeship/OJT and licensing and certification training. Click here for more detailed information on REAP (

*If your training was before Oct. 1, 2007, your monthly rate will be based on a percentage of the active-duty GI Bill in effect at the time of your training.

I signed up for the Reserve GI Bill. I have been out for two years, do I still have any remaining GI Bill benefits?

No. Unfortunately the Reserve GI Bill aka MGIB-SR (Selective Reserve) is only good for up to 14 years while you are actively drilling. Once you separate from the reserve your benefits end. However, you may qualify for one or more of the hundreds of veteran scholarships ( that go unused each year.
GI Bill Transferability Question:
Can I transfer my GI Bill benefit to a family member?

It depends. Here is what VA has to say:
Each military-service has sole discretion to determine if it will offer the transferability of GI Bill entitlement option.
Note: The Army is the only service currently offering GI Bill transferability under a limited pilot program. To learn more contact an Army retention career counselor.

To be eligible, you must meet the following criteria plus any additional requirements your service may add.

To qualify the servicemember must be on active-duty and meet the following criteria:
(1) Completed six years of service in the Armed Forces;
(2) Either have a critical military skill designated by the appropriate secretary for purposes of transferability or is in a military specialty designated by the appropriate secretary for purposes of transferability as required and
(3) Enter into an agreement to serve at least four more years as a member of the Armed Forces.

In Plain Language
You must be have served at least six years, be willing to re-enlist in a critical career field (AFCS, Rating or MOS) for a minimum of four years, and meet any other criteria added by the specific service branch. To date this program has been available to a select few.

Application Process Questions:
How do I apply to use my GI Bill benefits?

You start the process by filling out VA Form 22-1990 ( You can do this through the School Admissions/Registrars Offices.
Click Here to learn more about your eligibility and other GI Bill news. (

How quickly can I get my GI Bill money?

You will receive your first monthly check, paid directly to you, within three to six weeks after you have been admitted to a VA approved school and received your VA education benefit eligibility notice.
Do I have to keep re-applying once I start receiving my GI Bill benefits?

Yes and No. You should only have to submit your VA Form 22-1990 ( once. However, while you attend school, you must report to VA each month through the Web Automated Verification of Enrollment (WAVE ( or by calling their toll free Interactive Voice Response (IVR) telephone line at 1-877-823-2378. This will ensure that you continue to receive your monthly benefits without disruption. In addition, the school must submit their VA Form 22-1999 for each new academic semester or quarter. Many schools can do this electronically through the VA-Once program.

Note: If you take correspondence courses you may be required to complete and submit your own VA 22-1999c (, for each course, to ensure you continue to receive your benefits.

GI Bill Time Limit Questions:
How long do I have to use my active-duty GI Bill and can that time be extended?

Once you have separated from active-duty service you have 10 years to use all of your benefits. Although separating from service "starts the clock" on your 10-year time limit, you should know that if you rejoin active-duty service or you are activated for more than 90 days during the 10-year period, your 10-year clock is reset. In other words you get 10 years from your last discharge.

In addition, VA may extend your 10-year delimiting date if you were prevented from training during that period because of a disability or because you were held by a foreign government or power.

Graduate School Question:
Does the GI Bill cover Graduate Schools?

Yes! The GI Bill will pay for you to take courses ranging from Community Colleges to Universities, including PH.D level coursework.

"Buy-Up" Questions:
How can I participate in the $600 "Buy-up" program?

If you are eligible under Category I (,13964,32675--1,00.html) of the MGIB and you are still on active duty, you need to contact your personnel department and tell them you would like to make an additional contribution to your GI Bill account. They should be able to guide you through the process.

How would "Buy-Up" be affected if I already used six months of my benefits?

If you contribute an additional $600 (buy-up), you will get an extra $150 added to each month's benefits.

That means that if you have all 36 months of benefits, your $600 contribution would be worth $5,400. However if you only have 30 months of benefits remaining, you will get $4,500 for your $600 investment.

Either way it is a great investment in your future.

"Top-Up" Questions:
Who's eligible for the Top-up benefit?

If you have served at least two full years on active duty, you are eligible for the MGIB, and have been approved for federal Tuition Assistance by a military department, you are eligible for Top-up.

What can Top-up be used for?

The benefit is available for all courses that are eligible for military Tuition Assistance.

How do I apply for Top-up?

If you haven't previously filed a claim for MGIB, you should do the following:
Request TA from your branch of service. For more details, see the Tuition Assistance Overview (,13964,32879,00.html).
Complete an application for VA education benefits, VA Form 22-1990 ( Indicate "Top-up" on VA application in item 1A under the MGIB-Active Duty block.
Send your TA approval form, along with the application for VA education benefits, to the VA Regional Processing Office that handles your claim. The address is on the form. <!-- end #article-body --> NOTE: All of these answers are based on VA's general guidelines. Your personal educational benefits questions can only be answered by one of the friendly people at your regional VA office ( or your local Education Services Office.
Sound Off...What do you think? Join the discussion (
Related Links

Deduct Up to $4,000 in Education Expenses ($4000-in-education-expenses)
Make a Resolution That Matters (
Veterans Can Look Beyond the GI Bill (
GI Bill FAQ (
Wesleyan University Announces Scholarships for Veterans (
Correct 'Quirk in Law' that Prevents Guard/Reserve use of GI Bill (,15240,156032,00.html)