Transporting on a motorcycle. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Transporting on a motorcycle.

xXxMLEExXx
01-18-2008, 11:06
Is there a way? Can I have it in my back pack without ammunition?
Will that be legal?

Matrix62
01-19-2008, 08:14
I'm no lawyer, here's the applicable statue taken from NJ Guns Website:

http://www.njguns.com/trans.htm

N.J.S. 2C:39-6(g)

"All weapons being transported under paragraph (2) of subsection b., subsection e., or paragraph (1) or (3) of subsection f. of this section shall be carried unloaded and contained in a closed and fastened case, gunbox,
securely tied package, or locked in the trunk of the automobile in which it
is being transported, and in the course of travel shall include only such
deviations as are reasonably necessary under the circumstances."

Based on the wording one can interpret it as 1) it must be carried unloaded, and 2) at least one of the following four scenarios: closed and fastened case, gunbox, securly tied package, OR locked in a trunk of an automobile. I would think that you can walk down the street (or ride on a bike, pogostick, or motorcycle) with one unloaded and in a closed and fastened case, gunbox or tied package.

I have heard some horror stories about local enforcement interpretation of this law, especially travel deviations that were deemed "unnecessary" by LEOs. If your only ride is a motorcycle consult with an attorney (i.e. Nappen) otherwise use your car and lock it in the trunk to be safe.

xXxMLEExXx
01-21-2008, 12:19
I'm no lawyer, here's the applicable statue taken from NJ Guns Website:

http://www.njguns.com/trans.htm

N.J.S. 2C:39-6(g)

"All weapons being transported under paragraph (2) of subsection b., subsection e., or paragraph (1) or (3) of subsection f. of this section shall be carried unloaded and contained in a closed and fastened case, gunbox,
securely tied package, or locked in the trunk of the automobile in which it
is being transported, and in the course of travel shall include only such
deviations as are reasonably necessary under the circumstances."

Based on the wording one can interpret it as 1) it must be carried unloaded, and 2) at least one of the following four scenarios: closed and fastened case, gunbox, securly tied package, OR locked in a trunk of an automobile. I would think that you can walk down the street (or ride on a bike, pogostick, or motorcycle) with one unloaded and in a closed and fastened case, gunbox or tied package.

I have heard some horror stories about local enforcement interpretation of this law, especially travel deviations that were deemed "unnecessary" by LEOs. If your only ride is a motorcycle consult with an attorney (i.e. Nappen) otherwise use your car and lock it in the trunk to be safe.

Thanks for the info..