Official GHB/BOB rating scale (LONG) [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Official GHB/BOB rating scale (LONG)

WilyCoyote
01-18-2008, 17:27
First off, this is long so get a beer and a pen!

A BOB (Bug Out Bag) or GHB (Get home bag), for the purposes of this thread, is defined as a person portable collection of equipment that is preassembled with the specific goal of assisting a person or persons with rapidly obtaining a short or long term overland goal. It's contents include equipment needed for sustaining life or otherwise assisting the user in acheiving the overland goal.

Rate your BOB/GHB under these categories. The phrase GHB/BOB includes the method of carry and its contents and does NOT include anything you have in your pockets or carry on your person or in your car, etc.

*IMPORTANT*If you have a redundancy in any category, add +1 to your score in that category if your redundancy is a 1-5, and +2 if it's a 6-10. The highest score you can achieve in any category is a 10. Only one redundancy bonus can be applied per category.

Portability-This category defines your GHB's/BOB's ease of movement and accounts for 10% of the final score.

Hydro Power-This section defines your GHB's/BOB's ability to keep you hydrated and peeing clear and accounts for 16% of your total score

Feedability-This section defines your GHB's/BOB's ability to keep you fed and accounts for 12% of you total score

Sheltering Ability-This section defines your GHB's/BOB's ability to keep you warm and dry and will account for 21% of your overall score

Fire Making Ability-This section defines your GHB's/BOB's ability to aid you in starting a fire and is worth 11% of your overall score

Combat-This section defines your GHB's/BOB's ability to protect you from malicious harm and does NOT include any weapons you already regularly carry on your person. This category accounts for 5% of your final score.

Durability-This section defines your GHB's/BOB's ability to take abuse and accounts for 5% of the overall score.

First Aid-This section defines your GHB's/BOB's ability to keep you and others alive in the event of injury or incapacitation and accounts for 5% of your overall score

Communication-This defines your GHB's/BOB's ability to stay in touch with others and/or gather real time intelligence on the situation at hand and accounts for 5% of your overall score

Navigation-This section evaluates your GHB's/BOB's ability to aid you in finding your way and achieving your overland goal and accounts for 10% of your final score

Portability scoring chart-10%:

1. What do you mean I have to carry it by myself?
2. Check this out, it's got nifty wheels on it
3. Duffel Bag/Full Ruck
4. 3-5 day internal or external frame pack
5. Comfortable Day Pack
6. High-School style backpack (Jansport, Etc)
7. Shoulder pack/camera bag/large EDC pouch
8. Lunch Box
9. Small EDC Pouch/Fanny Pack
10. Now which pocket did I put that in? (Altoid Tin style)

Hydro Power scoring chart-16%:

1. Ok we're gonna risk drinking the swamp water...You first, Dale
2. Wow this iodine tab makes the water taste like %$#@
3. (#2)+ but don't worry this tabs takes the bad taste out
4. 1x Lg brand name water bottle (Crystal Springs, Dasani) or military canteen
5. 2x (#4)
6. Fully filled hydration pack (100 oz or less)
7. Gallon jug of water or equivalent
8. Straw style water filter
9. Basic Hand pump style water filter (dirt, bacteria, chemicals)
10. Advanced Hand pump style water filter (dirt, Bacteria, chemicals, cysts viruses)

Feedability Scoring chart-12%:

1. Mmmm that beetle sure looks tasty
2. Hard candy
3. Candy Bar
4. Big Granola or Power Bar/Bag o GORP
5. Freeze dried single serving meal
6. MRE
7. 3+ Days of Freeze dried single serving meals
8. 3+ Days of MREs
9. Weeks Worth of Freeze dried single serving meals (count Coast Guard lifeboat rations here)
10. Weeks worth of MRE's or better

Sheltering ability Scoring chart-21%:

1. So C-C-Cold
2. See, you just cut holes in this garbage bag here and you have a poncho!
3. Real poncho
4. Long-sleeved wool/poly pullover
5. Blanket
6. Winter parka Shell
7. Winter parka shell and liner
8. Bivouac
9. Small tent or tarp
10. Large tent

Fire making ability scoring chart-11%

1. Now all I need is a lightning bolt to strike my woodpile here
2. Book of paper matches
3. Wooden strike-anywhere matches/storm proof matches
4. Butane lighter/Flint-steel kit
5. Butane 'Hurricane' or windproof lighter/Flint-steel kit with magnesium
6. Any of #2-#5 + Fire starting aids (such as tinder box, sterno paste, sawdust/wax)
7. #6 + Road flares/Signal Flares
8. Portable liquid fuel camp stove w/ fuel (gas/ white gas)
9. Portable Isobutane/propane or equivalent stove w/ fuel
10. Deluxe Propane Portable cooking set (more than one burner) with fuel

Combat scoring chart-5%:

1. Toe-nail clippers
2. Pen knife
3. Swiss Army knife/Multi tool
4. Tactical Folder (Benchmade, Kershaw, etc)
5. Fixed blade combat or boot knife
6. Large combat knife (Ka-Bar, Old School survival knife)
7. Mouse Gun
8. Handgun
9. Pistol caliber carbine
10. Rifle

Durability Scoring chart-5%:

1. No, don't hold it like that it'll tear! (Garbage bag or plastic shopping bag, etc)
2. Red and white polka-dotted pillow case with a stick or other hobo custom job
3. Made in Kerplekistan for pennies on the dollar
4. Yeah, pretty cool, huh? Bought it at a flea market
5. Military surplus is good enough for me
6. REI or other sporting goods brand
7. Maxpedition/Tactical Tailor/Hazard 4, very durable ballistic nylon stuff
8. #7 + equivalent internal storage for loose items, i.e. EDC/First Aid pouches, etc
9. Extremely durable hard cases: Pelican, etc
10. #9 + customized foam inserts or internal storage for loose items, i.e. EDC/First Aid pouches, etc

First Aid-5%:

1. Rub some dirt on it, it'll be fine.
2. Barney print boo-boo kit.
3. Small pre-fab First Aid kit
4. Pre-made hiker's first aid kit (Ozark Trail, Coleman, etc.)
5. Pre-made hiker's kit with useful additions such as moleskin for foot blisters, sterile pads and butterfly bandages, OTC meds
6. #5 + needed prescription meds.
7. #6 + variety of prescription meds
8. Small trauma kit with large bandages, OPA's/NPA's (if you have to ask, you're somewhere below the rating)
9. Full trauma kit with clotting agents, OPA's/NPA's pressure dressings and splints (portable SAM splint style) for traumatic injuries, and IVs
10. Field Surgical kit or Medic bag with sterile fields, scalpels/hemostats, sutures, disinfectant, Rx meds, clotting agent, and IV/SubQ/IM capabilities.

Communications-5%:

1. HELLO! Hello... hello...
2. Signal mirror
3. Signal mirror, flashlight/chem lights
4. #2-#3 + Signal mirror and hand launch flares or flare gun
5. Strobe light beacon and/or portable FM/AM radio
6. Shortwave radio receiver
7. Multiband receiver and/or handheld walkie-talkie under 5 watts (e.g. FRS/GMRS)
8. Handheld/portable single-band transceiver at 5 watts or more (Ham VHF/UHF or CB).
9. Ham radio handheld/portable transceiver with wide band receive and multi-band transmit at 5 watts or more.
10. Radio bag with antennas capable of wide band receive and multi-band transmit at 40 watts or more.

Navigation-10%:

1. Where am I and what am I doing in this hand basket?
2. Compass from a Crackerjack box
3. Small hiker's compass and map OR basic GPS receiver.
4. Small hiker's compass and several maps
5. Several laminated maps and decent quality compass.
6. Laminated maps with lensatic compass with preplanned routes indicated.
7. Advanced lensatic compass and high quality topo maps and pre-planned routes.
8. Lensatic compass and numerous area topo maps, primary and alternative routes and danger zones indicated.
9. GPS receiver with internal maps.
10. Advanced GPS receiver with detailed maps and pre-plotted destinations, primary and alternative routes.

Determining your final score. The scoring is automatically done in the following fashion. The number you score in each category is divided by ten and multiplied by the percentage that category is worth. For example, If you score a 7 in Feedability (worth 12%) then 12 is multiplied .7 x12 getting a category score of 8.4. The category scores are then added for your final score. See the link below, provided by Geko45 for a spreadsheet he created that does the scoring work for you.

After entering your scores in the spreadsheet, look below and click on the Assessment Chart tab for a graphic representation of your style of kit. This will show you where your kit is weak or strong and where you have made sacrifices in some areas to improve others. IT IS IMPORTANT TO REMEMBER THAT YOUR NUMERICAL SCORE IS NOT A GRADE!

My first post here is continually edited to stay the most updated with respect to revisions. Please post with any suggestions, but before you do, read the whole thread to make sure your suggestions haven't already been discussed.

Thank you Geko45 for your time in putting together the spreadsheet and your continued support of this thread!

Semi-Official BOB/GHB Rating System Calculator Version 2.2 SCROLL DOWN TO POST #25 for a link to the spreadsheet

Wily

WilyCoyote
01-18-2008, 17:39
My GHB, planned for a two or three day trek to get home scored a 49.4

Geko45
01-18-2008, 18:28
Ok, I'll play. This is for my GHB (water and weapons not pictured)

http://www.mylinuxisp.com/~blawrence/Gekos-GHB-No-EDC.jpg

Portability=6
High school style back pack is exactly what it is.

Feedability=4
I think I should get more points because I keep 6 (not one) "power" type bars in a naglene like container.

Hydro=7
I have 6 20 oz bottles (8 oz less than a gallon) and a Katadyn filter bottle and MicroPur tablets (redundancy bonus)

Shelter=10
I have a one man emergency tent and a Heetsheets emergency bivy (redundancy bonus)

Combat=10 or 5
Kel-Tec P11 with 21 rounds and Winchester 1300 with 12 slugs and 20 assorted shot. This technically is not in the bag, but they stay in my truck which is where the GHB stays too. If not counted then I've got a folder and multitool actually in the bag (redundancy bonus).

Durability=7
All name brand stuff designed for the intended purpose.

Total score is 76 with weapons, 68.5 without

P.S. firemaking ability should really factor in somewhere.

RWBlue
01-18-2008, 18:44
If I understand your scoring system, 91.5
This might be in my kit, but that doesn't mean I am taking it all with me.
i.e. Am I wheeling it or am I carrying it?
Am I going combat ready, or low profile?
Am I taking all my water, or drinking some, and leaving some?

Other comments:
Why would MREs rate higher than backpacking meals?
Where does a Hammock fit in this scoring thing?
It can be strung low, like a tent, with tarp cover and waterproof drop cloth.
The scoring system favors those who pack too much (like me). You may not need all of the stuff...

The top % categories, do not line up with the bottom categories. This could be corrected by changing the order.

Akita
01-18-2008, 19:29
:dunno:
I either scored 1.95 or 312.

Geko45
01-18-2008, 20:47

Ok, I made a spreadsheet to make it easy for ya!

:thumbsup:

Semi-Official BOB/GHB Rating System Calculator Version 2.2 (http://www.mylinuxisp.com/~blawrence/Semi-Official BOB-GHB Rating System V2.2.xls)

WilyCoyote
01-19-2008, 05:22
WoW Gecko, That's AWESOME, makes it very easy to do the math!

Remember, fight the temptation to count weapons or equipment you have on you, carry in your hands or vehicle. Just rate the bag and its contents. The goal is not to make a 100 (in fact that's impossible), just to see where most peoples bags rate under this scale.

Categories were assigned worth based on importance eg "Basic 3" get more value than the others, shelter over water, over food. Rest are valued below those.

RWBlue: MRE's rate higher than single serv backpacking meals because they contain more calories, have extra incidentals, and include their own heat source for cooking. I would rate your hammock/tarp as a one man tent. I edited the categories so they's line up

Inverness11
01-19-2008, 17:53
Oooo, I got a 51.5

I'd also include a flashlight in the rating

NeverMore1701
01-19-2008, 18:43
Re-calculated, v2.1.

NeverMore1701
01-19-2008, 18:43
Re-calculated, v2.1.

lilc
01-19-2008, 19:58
Portability (15%): 4
A generous 3-day internal-frame pack w/ some extra MOLLE pouches, weighing in at 33 pounds loaded

Hydration (20%): 10
Advanced backcountry water filter, purification tablets, and boxed emergency water rations

Nourishment (15%): 8
4 days of MREs (complete packs) and some Daytrex emergency ration bars

Shelter (15%): 10
Ultralight tent, groundcloth, emergency bivvy, space blankets, and clothing

Combat (15%): 9
Automatic pistol, spare magazines, cleaning kit, ammo, and combat knife

Durability (15%): 8
US-made by a reputable tactical supplier

TOTAL: 84.5% (B+) :wavey:

lilc
01-19-2008, 20:03
Why would MREs rate higher than backpacking meals?
Because a "Meal, Ready to Eat" is just that: ready to eat.

Mountain House freeze-dried stuff, while tasty (I take it backcountry camping), demands that you have three inportant additional things you might not have when SHTF: clean water, a pot, and a heat source. Sure, if you had a pack of MH and you were clever you could improvise and acquire these items, but they remain mandatory, while an MRE doesn't even require a can opener.

Every tried to eat freeze-dried chicken stew without cooking it? :faint:

Warp
01-19-2008, 20:56
I agree on the MRE vs Mountain House thing. I switched from MH to MREs after my last backpacking trip. The ease of prep and lack of needing anything else is very nice. And what hapepns if your pot is boiling water over your stove and you have to leave right now?

I scored a 73.5.

I would like the scoring system extended. Medical, communications, navigation, etc.

RWBlue
01-19-2008, 21:27
I guess I look at my food differently. I carry fast food (granola bars, hard candy) and food that needs to be cooked (backpacker food). If I think I am going to have to move, or want to continue walking, fast food. If I am too tired to walk, sitting in for the night, I can eat a warm meal.

I think the value of a warm meal on a cold day is underrated.

I also carry some hot chocolate. It really made a difference when I went out for a week in the woods and it was COLD and WET.

Warp
01-19-2008, 21:29
I guess I look at my food differently. I carry fast food (granola bars, hard candy) and food that needs to be cooked (backpacker food). If I think I am going to have to move, or want to continue walking, fast food. If I am too tired to walk, sitting in for the night, I can eat a warm meal.

I think the value of a warm meal on a cold day is underrated.

I also carry some hot chocolate. It really made a difference when I went out for a week in the woods and it was COLD and WET.

The catch there, to me, is the "think you are going to have to move". In a bugout scenario how sure will you be that you won't have to move for X amount of time?

I don't know of a warm meal is under rated. People really like hot food. When it comes to MREs, thank god for those FRHs. Though you can also heat them the old fashion in hot water way, if you want them hotter...ran out of FRHs, etc.

I carry Cliff Bars and jerkey as on the move food, along with the MREs.

Hmm, hot chocolate. Good stuff in the cold. I have extra FRHs and the MRE hto chocolate in there IIRC. Sounds good right now even. :)

RWBlue
01-19-2008, 21:55
The catch there, to me, is the "think you are going to have to move". In a bugout scenario how sure will you be that you won't have to move for X amount of time?

The same can be said for a tent.

Realistically,
How long does it take to setup a tent or hammock?
How long does it take to boil water?

Then again, why am I arguing over an arbitrary point system. :wavey:

Warp
01-19-2008, 22:03
Good point on the tent.

My BOB doens't have a tent right now. :tongueout:

That is part of what I have to work on. I have stopgap measures. But then again where am I going to go that a tent makes sense anyway?

MajorAmby
01-19-2008, 22:39
I must say, this is a great idea WilyCoyote. Big THANKS to you for doing this!

I'm a VERY big fan of simplicity, but I had a small problem that might be worth looking into.

I was thinking about this as I evaluate my own GHB / BOB, and I think that this may warrant another category or two (maybe more, but I hate adding onto things and making them more complicated than they need to be). Communication, Navigation, Information, and possibly an Environment Adaptation category.

I suppose they can be combined in any which way, but here are my reasonings...

Communication:
Smoke signals, Pencil / Paper, Hand Radios 2-mile range, Hand Radios 10+ miles, HAM, Sat phone, updated contact lists, etc...

Navigation:
Maps, GPS, Topo maps, memory, etc...

Information:
How-to books, entertainment, pen / pencil & paper, contact information, laws, etc..

Environment Adaptation:
Flashlights, NVG's, N95 masks, duct tape, paracord, surgical gloves, respirators, anti-radiation protection, Raft, Portable fan(s), Fire making abilities, Medical Kits, etc...

I think I see your point, that those categories on there right now are the main things to worry about, but I think these other things count for a little bit I suppose. Again, I don't think all of these categories really need to be that separated, but I think they (or one or some) might be worth putting into the equation. It's totally up to you though... what do you think?

Cali-Glock
01-20-2008, 03:05
Too Cool! Great way to quickly see where your (my) deficiencies are. My goal this month was to build new GHBs for my wife and myself. Currently we have fanny packs in our vehicles, plus some extra stuff in our vehicles. (Blankets etc.) But stressing the whole thing has to be in one unit is key. Our Fanny packs rate 50 but that is optimistic (Using a few redundancy points in there). (Portability 9, Food 6, Hydro 1, Shelter 5, Defense 5, Durability 7)

In the overall rating what about:

What about fire? Light? Signal Mirror? Communications?

mitchshrader
01-20-2008, 03:34
uhm, i don't fit those categories Very easily.. as the weapon + ammo isn't carried IN the bag.. but it is specifically a BOB weapon.. lets Pretend it's in the bag, cause it weighs the same..

i'm basicly prepared for 3 days, 50 miles, nominal. food, shelter, etc, and just at 20-22 kilos depending on water & clothing.. 45-50 lbs.

i have what i need, but were I younger and larger i'd have more frills. can't do it with the spreadsheet but on my own score i'd put it at 80% and subtract a few points for no long arm. say 75% roughly, and that'd be about a passing grade in my book. adding another 15 lbs+ for a long arm & ammo, etc, would make it unfeasible to carry. it's edgy now.. but i won't starve or freeze or be unarmed.

WilyCoyote
01-20-2008, 11:16
It's funny to see so many people having trouble with not looking at it as a grade scale. Since there are so many variables, as well as what someone's idea of a GHB/BOB actually is, the scale was designed to compare apples to oranges. I tried to make it so people could see if they were apple people, orange, or bananna people, if you will. A 70 is not better than a 50, it's just different.

I sacraficed in several categories for portability and ease of storage. ie, a two man tent is nice, but I can hack it with a fleece pullover and a poncho.

Also, I recognize the importance of fire, maps, etc, but in order to include those categories, I would have to dillute the value of the others to less than a 5% varibale. I thought that would make things too vague for comparison. It seems it would be very easy to overcomplicate this scale.

Geko45
01-20-2008, 14:23
I do see your point Wily. For starters a GHB and BOB (while conceptually similar) are very different things and would score differently on these scales. For instance, a GHB needs only a day or two of high energy snack food whereas a BOB should have regular meals for at least several days if not a week or more.

Also, people face different problems in their planning and that would also effect how a bag scores. If you're in a cold weather environment then you need a sleeping bag, bivy and a tent. For warm weather, sleeping out under the stars might be perfectly reasonable with only a poncho to keep the rain off.

As for the actual scales, the rule of threes should reign supreme. Shelter, water, food in that order. However, I think there might still be room for some additions here. Fire making could be incorporated somehow under shelter because the main purpose of a campfire is to defend against exposure (but can also cook food or sterilize water). I'd also like to propose the following three scales be added to the overall system.

First Aid:
3. Aspirin or acetaminophen, antihistamine, assorted band-aids
5. Pre-made hiker's kit with useful additions such as moleskin for foot blisters, sterile pads and butterfly bandages
6. First aid kit above plus needed prescription meds.
7. First aid kit above plus prescription meds and personal medical info (blood type, allergies, conditions, etc.)
8. First aid kit above plus a G.I. bandage.
9. Clotting agent, pressure and triangular bandages for traumatic injuries
10. Surgical kit or M3 Medic bag with scalpel, suture, disinfectant, antibiotics, clotting agent, etc.

Communications:
2. Signal mirror and flashlight or light sticks
3. Signal mirror, flashlight and handheld flares.
4. Signal mirror and hand launch flares or flare gun
6. Shortwave radio receiver and some form of the above.
7. Multiband receiver and/or handheld walkie-talkie under 5 watts (e.g. FRS/GMRS)
8. Handheld/portable single-band transceiver at 5 watts or more (Ham VHF/UHF or CB).
9. Ham radio handheld/portable transceiver with wide band receive and multi-band transmit at 5 watts or more.
10. Radio bag with antennas capable of wide band receive and multi-band transmit at 40 watts or more.

Navigation:
2. Which way is the sun?
3. Map? What map? I don't need no stinking map. I've got a keychain compass and the map is in my head.
4. Rand McNally is my friend.
5. Laminated street maps and decent quality compass.
6. Laminated street maps with lensatic compass with preplanned route.
7. Lensatic compass and topo maps with pre-planned route.
8. Lensatic compass and topo maps with primary and alternative routes that avoid congested/ problem areas.
9. GPS receiver with typical street maps.
10. GPS receiver with detailed maps in memory of my AO and pre-plotted primary and alternative routes.

How much these should be weighted in the overall system is up for debate. I'm thinking no more than 5% or 10% each. Where that weight should come from is also negotiable. I won't add these to the spreadsheet unless the group consensus is that they belong (and at what weight). I submit them to the group for discussion.

P.S. I smell a sticky here...

WilyCoyote
01-20-2008, 15:49
I like those scales and I also like how you incoported fire and light into shelter and communication, should make things easier. I agree that the main scale should be modified, but there should be some agreement as to the defenition that matches both the BOB and GHB, since some choose one over the other based on their needs.

How about this:

A BOB (Bug Out Bag) or GHB (Get home bag) is defined as a person portable collection of equipment preassembled with the specific goal of assisting a person or persons with rapidly obtaining a short or long term overland goal. It's contents include equipment needed for sustaining life or otherwise assisting the user in acheiving the overland goal.

Below is an ammended list of category values based on user suggestions. I'll go ahead and edit the list at the top, Gecko, can you edit the spreadsheet?

Shelter-25% BASIC3
Hydro Power-20% BASIC3
Feedability-15% BASIC3

Navigation 10% (Necessity to achieving overland goal)
Portability-10% (Necessity to achieving overland goal)

Combat-5% (Contingency, may or may not been needed)
First Aid 5% (Contingency, may or may not been needed)
Comms 5% (Contingency, may or may not been needed)
Durability 5% (You aren't getting anywhere if your stuff falls apart or fails in the field)

Grayson
01-20-2008, 16:44
First off, this is long so get a beer, a pen, and your calulator.

Rate your BOB/GHB under these catagories. Only tell me what you'd change about the scale after you port your score. The phrase GHB/BOB includes the method of carry and its contents and does NOT include anything you have in your pockets or carry on your person.

*IMPORTANT*If you have a redundancy in any category than add +1 to your score in that category if your redundancy is a 1-5, and +2 if it's a 6-10. The highest score you can achieve in any category is a 10.

Portability-This catagory defines your GHB's/BOB's ease of movement and accounts for 10% of the final score.

Hydro Power-This section defines your GHB's/BOB's ability to keep you hydrated and peeing clear and accounts for 20% of your total score

Feedability-This section defines your GHB's/BOB's ability to keep you fed and accounts for 15% of you total score

Sheltering Ability-This section defines your GHB's/BOB's ability to keep you warm and dry and will account for 25% of your overall score

Combat-This section defines your GHB's/BOB's ability to protect your from malicious harm and does NOT include any weapons you already regularly carry on your person. This category accounts for 5% of your final score.

Durability-This section defines your GHB's/BOB's ability to take abuse and accounts for 5% of the overall score.

First Aid-This section defines your GHB's/BOB's ability to keep you and other alive in the event of injury or incapacitation and accounts for 5% of your overall score

Communication-This defines your GHB's/BOB's ability to stay in touch with others and/or gather real time intelligence on the situation at hand and accounts for 5% of your overall score

Navigation-This section evaluates your GHB's/BOB's ability to aid you in finding your way and achiving your overland goal and accounts for 10% of your fnal score

Portability scoring chart:

1. What do you mean I have to carry it by myself?
2. Duffel Bag/Full Ruck
3. Check this out, it's got nifty wheels on it
4. 3-5 day internal or external frame pack
5. Comfortable Day Pack
6. High-School style backback (Jansport, Etc)
7. Shoulder pack/camera bag
8. Lunch Box
9. Fanny Pack
10. Now which pocket did I put that in?

Hydro Power scoring chart:

1. Ok we're gonna risk drinking the swamp water...You first, Dale
2. Wow this idodine tab makes the water taste like %$#@
3. (#2)+ but don't worry this tabs takes the bad taste out
4. 1x Lg brand name water bottle (Crystal Springs, Dasani) or military canteen
5. 2x (#4)
6. 1x Gal Jug or equivalent
7. Fully filled hydration pack.
8. Basic Hand pump style water filter (dirt, bacteria, chemicals)
9. Advanced Hand pump style water filter (dirt, Bacteria, chemicals, cysts viruses)
10. (#8 or #9 with a #2-#7 contingency)

*****7+...1 I think? Hydration pack, PLUS potable aqua (no PA plus...), PLUS a filled Nalgene bottle, PLUS a "survival straw.") I keep bottled H20 in the car, but that's to FILL the hydration pack when the time comes...

Feedability Scoring chart:

1. Mmmm that beetle sure looks tastey
2. Hard candy
3. Candy Bar
4. Big Granola or Power Bar/Bag o GORP
5. Freeze dried single serving meal
6. MRE
7. 3+ Days of Freeze dried single serving meals
8. 3+ Days of MREs
9. Weeks Worth of Freeze dried single serving meals
10. Weeks worth of MRE's

**********??? Where do things like Mainstay Rations, and a small complement of MRE crackers, jam, and PB fall??? Just to finish my prelim score, I'll give it a 7 till I know for sure.

Sheltering ability Scoring chart:

1. So C-C-Cold
2. See, you just cut holes in this garbage bag here and you have a poncho!
3. Real poncho
4. Longsleeve wool/poly pullover
5. Blanket
6. Winter parka Shell
7. Winter parka shell and liner
8. Bivouac
9. Small Tent
10. Large tent

**********8+1 (bivy and garbage bags...and a space blanket)

Combat scoring chart:

1. Toe-nail clippers
2. Pen knife
3. Swiss Army knife/Multi tool
4. Tactical Folder (Benchmade, Kershaw, etc)
5. Fixed blade combat or boot knife
6. Large combat knife (Ka-Bar, Old School survival knife)
7. Mouse Gun
8. Handgun
9. Pistol caliber carbine
10. Rifle

**********6+1 - Glock knife and SAK or Leatherman, no firearm stuff just in the bag

Durability Scoring chart:

1. Made in Kerplekistan for pennies on the dollar
2. No, don't hold it like that it'll tear!
3. Nothing a little duct tape wont fix
4. Yeah, pretty cool, huh? Bought it at a flea market
5. Military surplus is good enough for me
6. Dale's Sporting Goods was having a sale
7. REI baby, R...E...I
8. Of course it's awesome..It's what all the troops are usin' in IRAQ
9. Mail order from some famous reputable company
10. The latest waterproof, sandproof, rip-stop, chrome-lined, sexy goodness

**********From CTD, but has good ratings and I can't disagree thus far...guess it's fair to call it a 4?

First Aid:

3. Aspirin or acetaminophen, antihistamine, assorted band-aids
5. Pre-made hiker's kit with useful additions such as moleskin for foot blisters, sterile pads and butterfly bandages
6. First aid kit above plus needed prescription meds.
7. First aid kit above plus prescription meds and personal medical info (blood type, allergies, conditions, etc.)
8. First aid kit above plus a G.I. bandage.
9. Clotting agent, pressure and triangular bandages for traumatic injuries
10. Surgical kit or M3 Medic bag with scalpel, suture, disinfectant, antibiotics, clotting agent, etc.

**********I'll give myself a 7. I DON'T have my medical info (but nor do I have any major conditions/drug allergies), but I DO have GI and triangular bandages and clotting agent, and OTC/Rx meds.

Communications:

2. Signal mirror and flashlight or light sticks
3. Signal mirror, flashlight and handheld flares.
4. Signal mirror and hand launch flares or flare gun
6. Shortwave radio receiver and.

**********5 (FM/AM) +1 (flashlight and signal mirror)

Navigation:

2. Which way is the sun?
3. Map? What map? I don't need no stinking map. I've got a keychain compass and the map is in my head.
4. Rand McNally is my friend.
5. Laminated street maps and decent quality compass.
6. Laminated street maps with lensatic compass with preplanned route.
7. Lensatic compass and topo maps with pre-planned route.
8. Lensatic compass and topo maps with primary and alternative routes that avoid congested/ problem areas.
9. GPS receiver with typical street maps.
10. GPS receiver with detailed maps in memory of my AO and pre-plotted primary and alternative routes.

**********3...:o I'm boned if I have to go too far off the beaten path...

Determining your final score. Take the number you score in a category, divide by ten and multiply by the percentage that category is worth.

For example, If I score a 7 in Portability (worth 15%) then I multiply .7 x15 getting a category score of 10.5

Add the category scores for your final score. See Geko's link a few replies below for a spreadsheet that makes the math easier.

Good luck, I hope no one has a headache yet. No one will score a 100, but im interested to see where most people fall under. :faint:

Awright, I'll play, but I need a little HELP in getting my base score on some of these....

If I did it right, and based on my "best guesses" at some of these, I rank a 68 maybe?

Open to "quibble room" on the things I'm not sure about...

FWIW, it's for a GHB. The trip from work is only 15 miles (YAAAY!) but most of it is up and down pretty steep hills (BOO, HISS).

I think I do pack too much stuff in there, I need to trim it down a bit.

Anyhow, hard as it was doing it (which wasn't that bad really, even before the spreadsheet), it must have been a lot harder CREATING it! Hats off to WileyC!

Geko45
01-20-2008, 17:28
Below is an ammended list of category values based on user suggestions. I'll go ahead and edit the list at the top, Gecko, can you edit the spreadsheet?

Alright, I've incorporated the above recommendations and promoted its status from "unofficial" to "semi-official".

Semi-Official BOB/GHB Rating System Calculator Version 2.2 (http://www.mylinuxisp.com/~blawrence/Semi-Official BOB-GHB Rating System V2.2.xls)

P.S. This really deserves to become a sticky at this point. Imagine, no more fumbling in the dark to describe your bag. Just rate it against these scales!

MajorAmby
01-20-2008, 19:55
Geko45, I really like the idea of combining the shelter / firemaking, but I don't know if they can even be combined. Some people might have different needs depending on location and such...

To all: I think that we need to rethink the grading scale. Maybe 100 points for the basic three (because they are truly the most important), and then after that there could be bonus point categories? It will still be difficult to reach 100 points even with the bonus points...

In the "basic 3", we can have a separate category for firemaking since it is vital to food, water, and shelter... so essentially they are 4 categories sharing the 100-point scale. Then as bonuses, the Navigation, Communication, and I really think we need to do something about medical / hygiene, and something about environment adaptation (such as respirators, KI tablets, gloves, etc in case of a NBC attack or situation. I think flashlights and NVG's can fit in here too since they are for adapting to a dark environment).

That actually sounds like a pretty solid scale - making the basic 3 (in our case 4) making the 100-point scale and everything else is bonus...

RWBlue
01-20-2008, 20:33
I suggest a different scale.
If you have tested your BOB/GHB, you pass.
If you haven't, you fail.
:)

This is an apples/oranges/banana thing.
My bag is good to around 20, below that it gets cold.
Guys in FL, your bags are setup for what 40-50s?
Guys in AZ, how much water do you have to have?

WilyCoyote
01-20-2008, 23:17
Ok I'll workout a firemaking scale tomorrow, but those points hafa come from somewhere. I'll likely have to take down the percentages in the big three down to less than a 5% variable.

Geko45
01-20-2008, 23:40
I suggest a different scale.
If you have tested your BOB/GHB, you pass.
If you haven't, you fail.
:)

Ok, I did a spreadsheet for your rating system too, but somehow I don't think we'll have as much fun with it.

RWBlue's BOB/GHB Rating System Calculator (http://www.mylinuxisp.com/~blawrence/RWBlues BOB-GHB Rating System.xls)

Or maybe we will! Here's a screenshot:

:supergrin:

http://www.mylinuxisp.com/~blawrence/RWBlues BOB-GHB Screenshot.JPG

RWBlue
01-21-2008, 00:55
Ok, I did a spreadsheet for your rating system too, but somehow I don't think we'll have as much fun with it.
RWBlue's BOB/GHB Rating System Calculator (http://www.mylinuxisp.com/~blawrence/RWBlues BOB-GHB Rating System.xls)
Or maybe we will! Here's a screenshot: :supergrin:
http://www.mylinuxisp.com/~blawrence/RWBlues BOB-GHB Screenshot.JPG

Adversity introduces us to ourselves

There is no second place in survival

Everything you do may kill you ….including doing nothing.

Geko45
01-21-2008, 09:53
Adversity introduces us to ourselves

There is no second place in survival

Everything you do may kill you ….including doing nothing.

Oh, those are keepers! They're going into the spreadsheet!

01-21-2008, 11:06

WilyCoyote
01-21-2008, 11:12
Ok fire making ability category has been added by popular demand and the category values have been adjusted accordingly. Geko, if you would be so kind, please update the spreadsheet. :cool:

Geko45
01-21-2008, 14:39
Ok fire making ability category has been added by popular demand and the category values have been adjusted accordingly. Geko, if you would be so kind, please update the spreadsheet. :cool:

Done and done. We now have 10 categories of BOB/GHB rating goodness!

:banana:

My GHB score under the new system went from a 68.5 to a 66.5 so I don't think we've skewed anything to badly with the new categories. I need to rate my BOB too at some point, but am dreading pulling everything apart for inventorying. That suckers PHAT! (figuratively and literally)

:bluesbrothers:

Kieller
01-21-2008, 16:09
tagged for cursing later because I will probably score a 2...

Geko45
01-21-2008, 16:30
tagged for cursing later because I will probably score a 2...

Nah, the minimum possible score is 10. You get points for maintaining a pulse and having the ability to form words...

BattletweeteR
01-22-2008, 00:45
i got a 59.5.

this is pretty neat.
if i decided to carry my 2 person tent then my score would be 72.1

Warp
01-22-2008, 00:54
Version 2.1 I score a 62.1.

Lowest rated or portability and navigation, each at 4.

Just a note: It is, of course, impossible to actually score 100. You arne't going to have a rifle/shotgun, shelter, weeks worth of food, etc AND have it all fit in a pocket. :tongueout:

But that's good. It's all about compromise. You can't bring everything with you, and the more you bring the more you get weighted down...

NeverMore1701
01-22-2008, 00:55
Wow, this got long! Must re-calculate. V2.1

Fire helped me out, food is still mediocre, nav sure didn't help, and neither did comms. Fortunately, as I've said before, my max hike is 5.1 miles from the horses, through sparcely populated areas, or 5.2 miles from work, through nice residential neighborhoods. That dramatically decreases my need for navigational tools, as I'm familiar enough with the area to find alternate routes, from either location, with no problems. Due to the short distances involved, this also makes my lack of gourmet food a less serious problem, and my half dozen Power/Cliff/Tiger Milk bars will suffice.

Category Score Weight Points
Shelter: 9 21% 18.9
Hydro: 10 16% 16.0
Food: 6 12% 7.2
Fire: 10 11% 11.0
Portable: 5 10% 5.0
Navigation: 4 10% 4.0
Durable: 9 5% 4.5
Defense: 10 5% 5.0
First Aid: 6 5% 3.0
Comms: 3 5% 1.5
Total 100% 76.1

James Markov
01-22-2008, 00:57
Got out the beer...had a few but too fuzzy to accurately respond-will reassess in the AM :drink:

NeverMore1701
01-22-2008, 01:12
Done and done. We now have 10 categories of BOB/GHB rating goodness!

:banana:

Semi-Official BOB/GHB Rating System Calculator Version 2.1 (http://www.mylinuxisp.com/~blawrence/Semi-Official BOB-GHB Rating System V2.1.xls)

My GHB score under the new system went from a 68.5 to a 66.5 so I don't think we've skewed anything to badly with the new categories. I need to rate my BOB too at some point, but am dreading pulling everything apart for inventorying. That suckers PHAT! (figuratively and literally)

:bluesbrothers:

Great work on the spreadsheet, it really helps! Also, as far as pulling BOB stuff out, I keep a compartmentalized inventory sheet on the computer, in the truck, and in the bag, as well as individual compartment inventories in the respective compartments.
Speaking of which, I need to get the damn C and AA batteries OUT of the GHB and put them in the truck bag. Heavy suckers, and I don't have anything that takes Cs or AAs in the GHB anymore.

Edit: Moving the unneeded batteries to the truck took 2lbs off my GHB weight! Woohoo!

JBlitzen
01-22-2008, 01:39
Truck bag, rifle, and radio case:

(Hmm, redid it with the spreadsheet and the total changed mysteriously)

(Hmm 2, removed the rifle and radio case after reading an early post in this thread, even though the radio case seems to qualify as 10)

Shelter: 10 (2.5 man 4 season tent)
Hydro: 10 (Pumps and pills galore)
Food: 10 (Weeks of lifeboat rations + redundant snare wire, traps, and fishing kit)
Fire: 8 (No stove, just redundant starters and tinder)
Portable: 4
Navigation: 6 (Topo maps are an interesting idea)
Durable: 7 (Only 7 for REI? Wtf!)
Defense: 4 (Ever since my move, my pistols are in lockdown, larger and redundant knives are a good idea)
First Aid: 8 (I don't trust myself with the clotting agents, and wouldn't have a clue what to do with a scalpel or needle)
Comms: 9

Total: 81.8

Discussion thread:
http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=777975

Geko45
01-22-2008, 08:39
Sticky! Sticky! Sticky!

:whistling:

WilyCoyote
01-22-2008, 11:06
Don't forget, the higher you score, isn't the better the bag or the better the grade, just means you're an apple, not an orange. Trend seems that 50-70 people are more GHB types and 70-80 people are BOB types. High 80's fits a seriously equipped BOB and if your scoring in the middle to high 90's or 100 you're a cheater!:tongueout:

STICKY!!!!!!

WilyCoyote
01-22-2008, 11:16
By the By, I'm a 54 with the new fire scale factored in...interestingly, through the addition of three categories, my GHB stayed within a 2 point variance, which seems to show consistancy throughout the scale.

I'd be interested to see how altoid tin or Nalgene bottle, super-portable survival kits score

CCO
01-22-2008, 16:54
Great idea, and the spreadsheet makes it even better. Sure helps me to identify holes in my GHB. Mine is worked off a pair of nearly identical GHBs for the wife and I. I plan on bugging in if at all possible. I work 3 miles from home, but take a lot of trips also and have set up my ghb up for 3 days, 2 people.

Shelter: 8 (2 emergency bivys, 2 ponchos, spare socks, shoes)
Hydro: 10 (katydyn filter bottle, 4 bottles water, pills)
Food: 8 (6 cliff bars, 6 MREs, some jerky. Light for 3 days)
Fire: 6 (blast match, 4 bic lighters, 2 cannisters of dryer lint)
Portable: 5 (Kelty daypack with good padded waistbelt)
Navigation: 5 (TX/OK street maps)
Durable: 7 (Kelty backpack, mostly civvie stuff)
Defense: 4 (a large benchmade folder in one, a large crkt folder in the other)
First Aid: 5 (big hunter first aid kit in mine, smaller backpacker kit for her car)
Comms: 5 (portable am/fm radio)

Total: 69.5 points.

JBlitzen
01-22-2008, 17:44
Don't forget, the higher you score, isn't the better the bag or the better the grade, just means you're an apple, not an orange. Trend seems that 50-70 people are more GHB types and 70-80 people are BOB types. High 80's fits a seriously equipped BOB and if your scoring in the middle to high 90's or 100 you're a cheater!:tongueout:

Yeah, a lot of my penalties are for things I choose. The topo maps are a good idea, but I still wouldn't put a GPS or surgical kit in there. Although I may have figured out a loophole through which I can add a rifle. Hmm.

CCO, I think you missed a few redundancies. For instance, two things of tinder and two separate things of good matches = 8, I believe, not 6.

Geko45
01-23-2008, 16:38
Sticky request submitted...

Eddie C.
01-23-2008, 18:34
Sticky request submitted...

Sticky request granted!:wavey:

WilyCoyote
01-25-2008, 05:12
tyvm! :cool:

betyourlife
01-26-2008, 22:30
76.9...YEAH baby!!!!

Geko45
01-26-2008, 23:05
76.9...YEAH baby!!!!

We need more than that betyourlife! We need contents and pics!

:needspics:

JBlitzen
01-27-2008, 00:02
We need more than that betyourlife! We need contents and pics!

:needspics:
Good point, we should include or link to threads which include images and contents of the bags in question.

I revised my above post accordingly.

NeverMore1701
01-27-2008, 13:08
Food: 6 12% 7.2
Fire: 10 11% 11.0
Portable: 5 10% 5.0
Navigation: 4 10% 4.0
Durable: 9 5% 4.5
Defense: 10 5% 5.0
First Aid: 6 5% 3.0
Comms: 3 5% 1.5
Total 100% 76.1

I can do a list, but its loooong. And no way to get pics from camera to PC at this time.

Date Checked: 01/19/08

Front Compartment:
1 4 ¼” Fixed Blade Knife
¼ Roll Duct Tape
2 2AAA LED Headlamps
1 Blue Light Stick
1 White Light Stick
1 Gerber Multitool
1 2oz. Hand Sanitizer
1 6LED, 3AAA Flashlight
1 Lint Ball
1 “Puppy” Water Filter (Syringe, Air Tubing, Airstone)
1 First Aid Kit (Antiseptic Wiles, Antibiotic Ointment, 1 ¾” x 3” Bandage, 1 Knuckle Bandage, 2”x3” Pads, Tape, 1 Pair Latex Gloves, 1 Cold Pack, 1 Flare)

Left Compartment:
2 Ponchos
1 2oz. 98% DEET Insect Repellent
1 Pair Leather Gloves
1 Garbage Bag (Pack Cover)

Right Compartment:
12 AAA Batteries
8 CR123a Batteries
9 Energy Bars

Mesh Compartment:
1 Disposable Lighter
1 Digital Watch
1 Sharpie
1 Pen

Main Compartment:
3 Trash Bags
1 Roll Toilet Paper
¼ Roll Paper Towels
2 N95 Masks
4 Pair Socks
½ Roll Duct Tape
3 Flares
1 Level 2 Water Filter
1 Handsaw
4 Smoke Signals
25 14 ½” Zip Ties
2 18 ½ oz Soup Cans
2 Green Light Sticks
1 Red Light Stick
1 White Light Stick
2 Packets Hot Coco
2 Packets Hot Apple Cider
1 “Outlander” Stove
1 7oz. Fuel Can
1 Heatsheets Emergency Bivy
1 Pair 8x21 Binoculars
1 Pair Wiley-X Goggles (Smoke Lenses)
1 Set Extra Clear Lenses
1 1oz. Bottle Lens Cleaner/Anti Fog Spray
1 Cleaning Cloth
1 First Aid Kit (6 Benadryl Tabs, 3 Alcohol Prep Pads, 2 Antacid Tablets, 1 Tube Superglue, 2 Disposable Thermometers, 8 Regular Bandaids, 10 Q-Tips, 6 Closure Strips, 3 Pair Latex Gloves, 12 800mG Ibuprofen Tabs, 1 12cc Syringe, 1 .9mm Needle, 1 ½” x 30ft Roll Medical Tape, 1 Roll Gauze, 1 Large Eye Patch, 2 4” x 4” Gauze Pads)

Black Insert Bag:
50 Rounds 7.62x54R

Attached to the bag is a tarp and cord, M38 is in rifle case in the bed. Additional clothes and water are kept with the bag in the cab. All contents double ziplocked, main compartment contents in super heavy duty trashbag.

HollowPoint .45
02-19-2008, 13:58
32.5 needs work

WilyCoyote
02-26-2008, 02:31
Tht's a good score for GHB...If you're buggin out you may wanna add more

Douglas in CT
03-14-2008, 06:34
Food: 7 12% 8.4
Fire: 9 11% 9.9
Portable: 4 10% 4.0
Navigation: 5 10% 5.0
Durable: 7 5% 3.5
Defense: 5 5% 2.5
First Aid: 8 5% 4.0
Comms: 9 5% 4.5
Total 100% 76.7

Congratulations! Your score is: 76.7

CooperGlocker
03-25-2008, 19:51
Semi-Official BOB/GHB Rating System

Category - Score - Weight - Points - (Explanation)
Shelter - 10 - 21% - 21.0 - (Military Sleep System + Poncho + Emergency Bivy)
Hydro - 10 - 16% - 16.0 - (Katadyn Filter, plus Datrex packets, plus Hydro Bladder)
Food - 9 - 12% - 10.8 - (1 Week of Freeze Dried Food, plus Energy Bars, plus Snacks)
Fire - 7 - 11% - 7.7 - (No Wet Fuel Alternatives beyond a Lighter, however, plenty of redundancy)
Portable - 4 - 10% - 4.0 - (It's got some weight to it being an external frame pack)
Navigation - 5 - 10% - 5.0 - (Printed Maps, Compass, no planned route yet)
Durable - 9 - 5% - 4.5 - (Jansport Pack, some "Made in China" items)
Defense - 6 - 5% - 3.0 - (Fixed Blade Survival Knife)
First Aid - 5 - 5% - 2.5 - (Would like more "Serious" Injury treatment options. Need to re-organize this for the better)
Comms - 7 - 5% - 3.5 - (Shortwave, AM, FM Receiver, plus FRS/GMRS Radios and spare batteries)
Total 100% 78.0

Congratulations! Your score is: 78.0

Not bad for my first attempt. Now let's get the weight and bulk down in the future and I might be able to push up into a B/mid 80's:

http://www.boycottbrown.com/images/camping/IMG_6309.jpg

Shelter:
Military Sleep System (Outside Bottom)
Heatsheets Emergency Bivvy (Right Accessory Pouch)

Clothing:

Raincoat/Poncho (Main Compartment)
OD BDU Jacket (Top Compartment)
OD BDU Pants (Top Compartment)
Underwear (Top Compartment)
Blisterguard Boot Socks (Top Compartment)
Wool Socks (Top Compartment)
Boonie (Main, could move to top)
Towel (Top Compartment)

Food:

Eating Utensils (Main Compartment)
Hexamine Fuel for Stove (Main Compartment)
Hexamine Stove (Main Compartment)
Camping Cup (Main Compartment)
Mountain House Food (Main Compartment)
Millenium Energy Bars (Left Accessory Pouch)
Hot chocolate/Tea/Coffee (Left Accessory)
Seasonings/Sugar/Condiments (Main Compartment)

Fire:

Waterproof Matches (Main Compartment)
Lighter (Main Compartment)
Fire Starter (reuseable) (Main Compartment)
Fire Sticks (Main Compartment)
Fire Starter (non-reuseable) (Main Compartment)
Hexamine Stove (Main Compartment)
Candles (Main Compartment)

Sanitation/Hygiene:

Trash Bags (Main Compartment)
Plastic Bags (Main Compartment)
Ziplock bags (Main Compartment)
Toothbrush/paste (Main Compartment)
Toilet Paper (Right Accessory Pouch)
Chapstick (Main Compartment)
Deodorant (Main Compartment)
Moisturizer (Main Compartment)
Hand Sanitizer (Main Compartment)
Mouth Wash (Main Compartment)
Q-Tips (Main Compartment)
Sun Screen (Main Compartment)
Floss (Main Compartment)
Talcum Powder (Main Compartment)
Antibacterial Wipes (Main Compartment)

Water:

Hydration Bladder (Hydration Pouch)
Katadyn Pocket Filter (Main Compartment)
Water Purification Tablets (Main Compartment)

First Aid:

Insect Repellent (Main Compartment)
Sun Screen (Main Compartment)
Antacid Tablets (Main Compartment)
Anti-Diharea Tablets (Main Compartment)
Cough Drops (Main Compartment)
Advil (Main Compartment)
Benadryl (Main Compartment)
First Aid Kit (Main Compartment)
Snake Bite Kit (Main Compartment)
Sting Eze (Anti-Itch/Bite) (Main Compartment)
Burn Kit (Main Compartment)
Blister Kit (Main Compartment)

Illumination:

Head Lamp (On Head, or stored in Right Accessory Compartment)
LED Keychain Light (Right Accessory Compartment)

Misc Survival/Signal:

Whistle (Right Accessory Compartment)
Survival Mirror (Right Accessory Compartment)
Spare Sun Glasses (Right Accessory Compartment)
Sewing Kit (Main Compartment)
Pens/Pencils (Right Accessory Compartment)
Notebook (Right Accessory Compartment)
Scissors (Main Compartment)
Duct Tape (Right Accessory Compartment)
AA, CR123A (Right Accessory Compartment)
Safety Pins (Right Accessory Compartment)
GP-4L AM/FM/SW Receiver (Left Accessory Compartment)
Add-on Antenna for GP-4L (Left Accessory Compartment)
100' Paracord (Right Accessory Compartment)
VS-17 Panel (Right Accessory Compartment)
SAS Survival Guide (Right Accessory Compartment)
Navigational Compass (Accessory Pocket)
Maps (Accessory Pocket)

I like storing items in modular kits. The good part is, i can find everything in one place. The bad thing is, if I lose the kit, I lose everything in that category. I may perhaps prestage a few redundant items out of the kit and into different pockets, just in case.

Here's the fire kit:

http://www.boycottbrown.com/images/camping/IMG_6225.jpg

Since taking those photos, I have also added several film canisters of dryer lint.

Here's my hygiene kit:

http://www.boycottbrown.com/images/camping/IMG_6227.jpg

http://www.boycottbrown.com/images/camping/IMG_6228.jpg

Compare to a Katadyn Pocket and a tape measure for size:

http://www.boycottbrown.com/images/camping/IMG_6235.jpg

So far so good. I'm going to test this kit at the Pennsylvania Meet and Greet in 2 weeks.

Be there or be... warm, comfortable, and in your homes!

TacticalRecon
04-08-2008, 20:08
Ran my new Bug Out Bag through this and got 87.3% Not bad! Only thing that dropped my score was portability because I am using a Full Ruck. :whistling:

skyydiver
04-17-2008, 22:59
66.5, I can live with that for now. Pun intended.

Geko45
04-26-2008, 23:42
It has seemed that the one consistent critique of this rating scale has been that it's not exactly helpful to use a linear score in rating (80 is not necessarily better than 70, just different, etc.). To that end, I added an area chart to the rating spreadsheet that shows the distribution of points in each category. This should more accurately reflect that different people have different priorities to address. After you enter your scores on the main sheet, just go to the bottom and click on the "Assessment Chart" and you can see the graphical representation. Here is the new spreadsheet and a sample chart reflecting how my own GHB scored.

http://www.mylinuxisp.com/~blawrence/Gekos-GHB-Score.jpg

mitchshrader
04-27-2008, 02:36
Well, I'm gonna cheat and start with everybody else's pics and hopefully gain ground. Last year I swapped the Alice pack off and got a Kelty, but never organized it past throwing in stuff to carry it around a little bit.

I need to decide how to focus for a default load. As a GHB it's too much pack, and for extended use it's short some maybe-critical stuff, and i have to parse whether useful items fit MY needs well enough to be worth hauling.

I'm good on shelter, firearms, meds, rain gear, food, knives, saw & hatchet, .. plain ol' camping gear I'm set.

I'm weak on electronics of every sort, 'gadgets' in general from GPS to Shake-em-Up flashlights. Don't care for em and work around needing them mostly, one less thing to break.. but I oughta get a decent radio.

maps. i have no clue what a proper set of maps is *supposed* to include, and i need to build a 'user specific map set'.. that covers at least a couple hundred mile radius in reasonable detail, and addresses camp sites, water transportation, railroads spurs, all the what-if possibilities I can imagine.

If ya'll havn't tried em, you might test the Bear Valley Pemmican Bars, they're my default food item for fast energy without cooking.

I really ought to take a huge pile of junk out in the woods and set up and tear down a working camp about twice. I have a nice roomy tent, but don't generally USE the darn thing if I can get out of it. A piece of flat tarp is faster setup, faster to dry off, works better for LIGHT rain or mist.. but ain't a tent.

It's not anything about packing I have to puzzle out, just deciding how much I want to carry how far.... the tradeoff on comfort.

Humping a load is opposite to my intentions. I try hard to remember that Stuff is just Stuff, and can be replaced. If it's not terribly expensive that's easier.

Once gear is tested, I'm more focused on backup gear than upgrading items to 'best possible'.

I prefer redundancy over excellence usually, especially if I have to give away something. Ya'll are helping considerably with the pictures.. makes the chore of sorting look easier. ;)

WilyCoyote
04-28-2008, 01:50
Dam geko, I created a monster in you, lol

:wow:

Geko45
04-28-2008, 08:23
Dam geko, I created a monster in you, lol :wow:

I was already a monster...

:whistling:

:mallninja:

dago2a
04-30-2008, 11:41
This post has certainly been interesting reading, and my score is..... in the 30s. However, mine has been tested in the real world and has come out with flying colors!

But, I come from a very different background I guess. I don't know where you guys live/work, but holy crap in what situation would you ever need a large 2 person tent, or a 40 watt radio thing???

I have spent my fair share of time in the woods, I was Infantry for several years at the beginning of my career. I love the outdoors, and backpacking (I have through hiked the Colorado trail). I hunt, climb rocks, and kayak. However, in my life the ability to start a fire is not as important as the ability to blend in around "normal" people. That is tough to accomplish in most cities while wearing a ruck with MREs, radios, water filters and topo maps! IMHO, an urban environment has a much greater chance of turning non-permissive than Yellowstone national park. Besides, when I go to the middle of BFE I plan for those contingencies at that time, but at least for me, that isn't an everyday occurrence.

The list that follows is what I see (and carry) as the perfect BOB. (I'll go in order of the semi-official rating system)

1. Shelter- Generally none. At times a light jacket (used as much to alter appearance/conceal a weapon as shelter). If you are dressed appropriately you should be able to last 3-5 days without additional shelter. (remember, I operate primarily in urban terrain)

2. Hydro- 2 ea commercially available (read vending machine) 20oz water bottles. They are light and refillable, and don't scream "hey over here".

3. Food- A small bag or two of beef jerky, a handful of hard candy and 2-3 high calorie protein bars.

4. Fire- A couple cheap butane lighters and a pack of smokes (note: I don't smoke, ever. I hate smoking, but it can be used as a way to break the ice with strangers. In reality, temporary relationships that you can exploit are your best security and shelter in most cases.)

5. Portability- Here is a big one. Like I said, NO RUCKs in the city, sorry but a low profile is just as important as a weeks worth of food. I have used laptop bags, briefcases, book bags, little retro canvas man purses, and anything that DOES NOT have molle webbing, Velcro patches, 1000d nylon, carabineers, (insert name of your favorite tactical nylon company here) labels, or a military pattern/color.

6. Navigation- I will usually have a Garmin eTrex GPS, there is nothing more accurate than a grid in case I need to remember where something is/was/happened. A locally procured street map of the city I am in as well as one for the state/region. Subway/bus/ rail schedules. Phone numbers for the local cab companies, and airlines.

7. Durability- There is NO substitute! Buy it right the first time and it will last for as long as you need it, or until you ditch the whole bag (I hate it when that happens!!)

8. Defense- This is probably the biggest variable. It depends entirely on my location and how I plan to travel. The only thing I can truly never leave home without is a set of FAB knives from Cold Steel. Made of a polymer they are not detectable by metal detector, and you can sew them into the liners of jackets, etc. When I am local, driving, flying a charter, or have local support it's another story. I like to have a pistol with appropriate concealable holster (I like the G23, but I'm not picky), and no less than 3 mags. If I am able to transport firearms I will usually bring a suppressed 22 as well. I also like to have a leatherman WAVE, and a good folder, but again this all depends on the airplane situation (I try to avoid checking baggage for short trips).

9. First-Aid- Not much. A couple of packets of pain killers is about all that happens. I always carry plenty in my actual operational kit, but not in the BOB.

10. Comms- According to your scale I'd be a 1! But in reality I'm usually covered. A prepaid cell phone and charger (not in my name, and pre-loaded with certain numbers they vary depending on where I am/what I'm doing.), a couple of prepaid calling cards, and a prepaid VISA (for internet time at Kinko's or any other anonymous internet Cafe type place).

11. Other things that didn't make your list-

CASH - Local currency (the equivalent to a couple hundred in small bills, and a couple benjamins)

Personal Hygiene- Travel tooth brush/paste, deodorant, and a razor. Maybe a small packet of baby wipes. If you want to fit in with “normal people” you can’t smell like you are on the run!

Passport - You just never know!

An old laptop, or PDA (again preferably NOT one you bought new that has your info attached to it), it doesn't have to be the latest and greatest, but in our world info is power! The ability to find, store, evaluate, and transmit that info is imperative. I quite honestly have found that my old Toshiba that I bought for $200 works great. It takes a beating well, isn't too heavy (it was the small one they made a couple years ago), I can wipe the hard drive on a regular basis, and I paid cash!

Thumb Drives- a couple cheap ones (one loaded with scans of all of my important documentation, [deeds, license, passport, marriage license, birth cert, etc], and one or two that can be loaded with info and passed off. The whole info is power thing again......

A digital camera- again, not your nice family picture/vacation one. This is the one that takes passable pictures, but you don't care if you loose it. Make sure you can hook it up to your computer/thumb drive to get the pics off of it. Info is power.....
Binoculars, or a monocular- They need to be small and at least 5 power to be worthwhile. If the situation has deteriorated this far, I will probably want to watch my destination for a bit before I just walk up and say HI. Besides, I have used them a whole lot more than I have wanted an MRE…..

Anyway that is my two cents. I’m not trying to step on anyone’s toes, just thought I’d share a different point of view. Take it or leave it, but remember it’s not always the end of the world when we need to be able to survive for a few days. “Overland Goals” are also not limited to the middle of God’s nowhere. The most dangerous environment I have ever been in has been FULL of people. It takes a very diverse skill set to be able to survive in them both.

Good Luck.

dago2a
04-30-2008, 11:44
Crap I forgot! I always have an LED headlamp, and a surefire type handheld light too!

Sorry My last post got sooooo looooong!

WilyCoyote
05-03-2008, 20:05
Dago2a,

The rating scale, as mentioned numerous times throughout the thread (if you read it all) is not a grade. Low doesn't necessrily mean bad and high doesn't really mean good. The scale just an attempt to see whether people are apple or orange types. Numbers perhaps were not the best way to assign a rating, maybe a shape would be the best. The umbrella scale Gecko put up better portrays the spirit behind the rating system than a linear 0-100 score.

If you score a 30, that doesn't mean you got an F, it means you are a 30. There are so many variables from person to person when it comes to equipment, lifestyle, locale, strategy, skill set, and background that it's basically impossible to say what GHB/BOB is the best or whether one is better than another. All the scale tries to accomplish is to show how many others out there are like you and vice versa.

As a secondary benefit, the thread encourages people to talk about what they have put in their kits and why, in addition to what strategies they might employ. This gives others ideas which they can use to add or take away from their kit for their own benefit. This is exactly what you did after your 3rd paragraph. I took notice of several of your ideas, which I my adapt and employ.

So no, you didn't step on any toes, a lot of people get hung up on the score with a big WTF

Protus
05-04-2008, 05:40

Shelter 8 21% 16.8
Hydro 10 16% 16.0
Food 9 12% 10.8
Fire 6 11% 6.6
Portable 4 10% 4.0
Navigation 8 10% 8.0
Durable 9 5% 4.5
Defense 10 5% 5.0
First Aid 9 5% 4.5
Comms 9 5% 4.5
Total 100% 80.7

Congratulations! Your score is: 80.7

didnt figure any redundancy into that. and IMHO rateings dont help you hump that load outta dodge when its falling down around you ;)

YMMV

RWBlue
05-04-2008, 14:01
Geko45, very nice graph.

05-06-2008, 09:36
dago2a,

Thanks for providing that perspective. (VERY GOOD)

Dogbite
06-30-2008, 17:31
This is a great thread guys!! I really appreciate all the pics and ideas!!!

Zombie Steve
07-20-2008, 16:31

Got some work to do, but thanks for the test and the spreadsheet!

paulgl26
09-21-2008, 19:06
i scored 63 but i am still working on it

Warp
09-21-2008, 19:22
I know, his is an old thread that got revived, but....

Remember, fight the temptation to count weapons or equipment you have on you, carry in your hands or vehicle.

Why would I not count as having a handgun? I always have a Glock either on my person or sitting in the night stand right next to my BOB. Why would I not count that because I do not have a duplicate Glock to actually put IN the BOB?

iron medic
10-02-2008, 13:59
Well, I used the list that I am starting to build my GHB and my BOB and rated them to see how they stand. GHB 71.1 BOB 77.6 I am thinking that like usual I may be packing to much crap! Of course I don't have them complete in front of me. This is just my research and what I "think" I am going to put in there. So, time will tell. Thanks for all the work guys, you are making this easier on me.

WilyCoyote
10-11-2008, 00:47
Cuz its not something you have in your bag. The rating scale supporst the bag as a stand alone entity, a grab and go item. If you start counting what you carry on you then why stop at firearms...then u have to include what you always carry in your pockets and such and that starts getting away from the spirit of the scale, which if you've seen the post in its entirety, boils down to giving each other ideas and seeing how many others follow your GHB/BOB philosophy.

Johnspark
11-13-2008, 15:23
69.5 I can survive.

Aikidoka
11-14-2008, 07:53
Geko, that spreadsheet rocks. I just picked up my GHB Bag yesterday and have started my build. That helps so much.

HollowPoint .45
12-07-2008, 13:44
BOB

Portability: 2
Hydro: 8
Feed: 8.4
Shelter: 16.8
Fire: 6.6
Combat: 5
Durability: 2.5
First Aid: 2.5
Comm: 1
Nav: 3

Total for BOB: 55.8
Comm and Nav killed me but if its a true SHTF situation why whould I want to be signaling for help? And for Nav I know the woods around here like the back of my hand.

GHB

Portability: 6
Hydro: 3.2
Feed: 3.6
Shelter: 10.5
Fire: 4.4
Combat: 4
Durability: 2.5
First Aid: 2
Comm: 1
Nav: 2

Total for GHB: 39.2

Once again Comm and Nav hurt.

Pyzik
12-08-2008, 09:10
Woop! 51.5! :rofl:

'Bout what I figured I would get.

Geko45
12-08-2008, 15:55
Comm and Nav killed me but if its a true SHTF situation why would I want to be signaling for help? And for Nav I know the woods around here like the back of my hand.

Well, not all SHTF events call for escape and evasion, some (dare I say most) call for search and rescue. As for Comm and Nav and knowing your AO, it's not a pass/fail grade but rather a metric to give you an idea of where you're at. As long as you know why you scored low in those areas and have an appropriate plan to address it, then it's fine.

Geko45
12-08-2008, 15:58
Geko, that spreadsheet rocks. I just picked up my GHB Bag yesterday and have started my build. That helps so much.

Thanks! Glad to hear it helped!

Spieler
02-10-2009, 01:49

I guess I still have some work to do!

indianas/p
02-17-2009, 12:31
64.4 i guess thats not too bad.

ancient_serpent
02-19-2009, 20:27
BOB 75.9 overall

portability 4
hydro 16.8
feedability 4.8
shelter 16.8
fire 8.8
combat 5
durability 4
first aid 4.5
commo 2

Not too bad but I see I really need to boost up my bags food and commo rating. Portability isn't really a concern, its a very well made bag and only weighs around 45 or so. My gear in Iraq and the ruck I took on my ruck-run days in training weighed much more.
Commo though. I think that one is going to have to wait a little bit till I can research more on good reliable commo devices.
This scale is a great tool, thanks!

<TABLE style="WIDTH: 209pt; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=279 border=0><COLGROUP><COL style="WIDTH: 57pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 2779" width=76><COL style="WIDTH: 48pt" span=2 width=64><COL style="WIDTH: 56pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 2742" width=75><TBODY><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD class=xl72 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0; WIDTH: 209pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" width=279 colSpan=4 height=17>Update: I revamped my bag and made a few inmprovements, this is my new set-up.
</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD class=xl66 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0; BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" height=17></TD><TD class=xl66 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0; BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent"></TD><TD class=xl66 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0; BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent"></TD><TD class=xl66 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0; BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent"></TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD class=xl63 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0; BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: silver" height=17>Category</TD><TD class=xl63 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0; BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0; BACKGROUND-COLOR: silver">Score</TD><TD class=xl63 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0; BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0; BACKGROUND-COLOR: silver">Weight</TD><TD class=xl63 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0; BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0; BACKGROUND-COLOR: silver">Points</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD class=xl67 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0; BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" height=17>Shelter</TD><TD class=xl66 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0; BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" align=right>9</TD><TD class=xl68 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0; BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" align=right>21%</TD><TD class=xl69 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0; BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" align=right>18.9</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD class=xl67 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0; BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" height=17>Hydro</TD><TD class=xl66 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0; BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" align=right>10</TD><TD class=xl68 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0; BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" align=right>16%</TD><TD class=xl69 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0; BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" align=right>16.0</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD class=xl67 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0; BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" height=17>Food</TD><TD class=xl66 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0; BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" align=right>5</TD><TD class=xl68 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0; BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" align=right>12%</TD><TD class=xl69 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0; BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" align=right>6.0</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD class=xl67 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0; BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" height=17>Fire</TD><TD class=xl66 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0; BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" align=right>8</TD><TD class=xl68 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0; BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" align=right>11%</TD><TD class=xl69 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0; BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" align=right>8.8</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD class=xl67 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0; BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" height=17>Portable</TD><TD class=xl66 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0; BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" align=right>4</TD><TD class=xl68 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0; BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" align=right>10%</TD><TD class=xl69 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0; BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" align=right>4.0</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD class=xl67 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0; BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" height=17>Navigation</TD><TD class=xl66 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0; BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" align=right>10</TD><TD class=xl68 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0; BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" align=right>10%</TD><TD class=xl69 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0; BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" align=right>10.0</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD class=xl67 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0; BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" height=17>Durable</TD><TD class=xl66 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0; BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" align=right>9</TD><TD class=xl68 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0; BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" align=right>5%</TD><TD class=xl69 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0; BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" align=right>4.5</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD class=xl67 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0; BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" height=17>Defense</TD><TD class=xl66 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0; BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" align=right>10</TD><TD class=xl68 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0; BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" align=right>5%</TD><TD class=xl69 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0; BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" align=right>5.0</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD class=xl67 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0; BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" height=17>First Aid</TD><TD class=xl66 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0; BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" align=right>9</TD><TD class=xl68 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0; BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" align=right>5%</TD><TD class=xl69 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0; BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" align=right>4.5</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD class=xl67 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0; BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" height=17>Comms</TD><TD class=xl66 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0; BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" align=right>6</TD><TD class=xl68 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0; BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" align=right>5%</TD><TD class=xl69 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0; BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" align=right>3.0</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD class=xl70 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0; BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: silver" height=17> </TD><TD class=xl63 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0; BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0; BACKGROUND-COLOR: silver">Total</TD><TD class=xl64 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0; BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0; BACKGROUND-COLOR: silver" align=right>100%</TD><TD class=xl65 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0; BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0; BACKGROUND-COLOR: silver" align=right>80.7</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD class=xl66 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0; BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" height=17></TD><TD class=xl66 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0; BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent"></TD><TD class=xl66 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0; BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent"></TD><TD class=xl66 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0; BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent"></TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD class=xl73 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0; BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" colSpan=3 height=17>Congratulations! Your score is:</TD><TD class=xl71 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0; BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent">80.7</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

jordanmills
03-08-2009, 20:38
I'm a noob here, but I've been running a "SHTF thread series" on my "home forum". I'm going to assume I've bought the guns I have WTB threads out for - I could buy comparable models right now (eg G17 instead of G19), but I'm holding out for the right item at the right price.

My pack focuses on staying light and mobile, and having lots of multitaskers or redundant task-sharers. For example, I don't carry a hatchet, big knife, saw, and brushcutter. I carry a sawback machete. And I know how to use it.

Shelter: 8 - I'm in coastal Texas, where we have two seasons: hot and hotter. On the rare two weeks a year that we have cold weather, I'll be wearing long pants and a jacket. Otherwise, the paracord, tarp, mylar blanket, and change of clothes will do enough that I'll be leaving one or more out.
Hydro: 10 - Try one day of dehydration here and you won't need to learn the lesson again. My pack has 2 L of stabilized water in a bladder, a couple of 20 oz hand bottles, two straws (in the bottles for pre-use hand operation), purification tablets, and bleach packets.
Food: 8 - I don't carry full MREs, but I do carry two or three days of high calorie bars. I'll consider them meals ready to eat as opposed to a point lower half prepared meals. I also have GORP and some other packaged food for variety.
Fire: 7 - I didn't want to cheat, so I ignored the propane stove and lamps I have at home and in the truck (which will almost certainly go with me). In the bag, I have flares, butane lighter, reusable fire stick, tinder/resin dust, and waterproof matches.
Portability: 6 - I keep an urban-friendly school pack for all my junk.
Navigation: 10 - keychain compass, maps in my head, waterproof printed topo and road maps of the local area and likely retreat areas, GPS receiver with preloaded topo and road maps of most of TX and LA, and points of interest (amazing what you can do with a windows mobile cell phone with removable sim card, spare batteries and charging enclosure, and a mini-SD card - I'd never bet my life on it, hence the luxury of memorized maps and printed maps, but it's an awesome primary).
Durability: 7 - REI quality, rip-stop and waterproof (two layers, important here where we often have 120% apparently relative humidity and I live at sea level).
Defense: 10 - nail clippers, penknife, fixed blade combat knife (machete!), multitool, subcompact handgun, compact handgun, pistol caliber carbine, optional shotgun (with various loads - pepper, flare, bird, jungle, and buckshot - assuming I grab the shotgun rig as I head out the door). Also note that the handguns and carbine use the same ammo and mags. The same frame if I get to buy all the toys I want right now.
FA: 9 - I'm not trained for a full medikit, so I don't bother carrying. Otherwise I have an assortment of OTC medicines, foot kit, fluids/gels, personal medical info on card with full history on electronic media, and big bandages. I'm a trained first responder, but not a medic.
Comms: 8 - mirror, flares, sticks, strobe, am/fm receiver, FRS/GMRS two way (intragroup comms, occasional CQ), and CB two way (expected to be in much more common use). But I'm an electrical engineer, and I expect to be able to find the parts to rig up a ham band transceiver of significant wattage.

Again, a lot of this is double, triple, or quadruple duty. The flares will signal help and start fires. The ethanol alcohol will work as medicine (anesthetic and antiseptic), fuel, water purifier, and food (150 cal/oz, baby) - that's significant use in four categories.

Of course it will always need tweaking, and I can't completely test it in most situations. But it has served me through two completely different hurricane situations (Rita, where I got off work 20 hours before landfall and GTFO ASAP and Ike, where I stayed at home but endured a week of civil society with little to no support infrastructure - my caravan running rescue and supply in low lying areas carried handguns and shotguns in the vehicles but never once had to think about drawing them). I hope I never need to put it to the test again, but I also think I'm ready if I do.

Oh yeah. The spreadsheet has me at 84.2.

http://9idqaw.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pbvfIgV-ID2ARDjuT0KMiDrwNfRoxhr7XrBsxIa6tA-TCrEtMJdxsrCfwKHB8RorCTy9YTPueMwHVeo7qu9H6Fw/bob.jpg

Oldskoolfan
04-16-2009, 12:45
Tag for later.

AMC
06-14-2009, 17:08
75.2 Not too bad!
I need to improve my food, navigation and comms.

CrazyFeet
12-24-2009, 11:36
DEF. room for improvement. although this is just my bag as packed.. I have some other useful items very close to it almost all the time.. home.. office.. car etc etc.. but this is just for the bag.

Shelter 3 21% 6.3
Hydro 5 16% 8.0
Food 7 12% 8.4
Fire 6 11% 6.6
Portable 6 10% 6.0
Navigation 9 10% 9.0
Durable 9 5% 4.5
Defense 8 5% 4.0
First Aid 5 5% 2.5
Comms 5 5% 2.5
Total 57.8

lbckid19
02-05-2010, 18:19

hahahaaaahahahahahaha :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Kaceyx73
02-13-2010, 06:05
Hello all. Im a little late on this forum, but still here. Wily, great post. Like others, I don't think your scale is perfect, but it is a great information and comparison tool. Personally, I would add weight for scalability. I think that gets missed a lot of times, and isn't always needed, but depending on time of year and individual locales and events, scalability adds points in portability while subtracting points from non-essential ones. to make the point clearer, my GHB is a comfortable day pack + a fanny pack + a collection of odds and ends in another bag that can be tossed in the day pack or left behind, depending on the circumstances. Obviously, leave behind items are cheap tools or knives etc. that have better versions in my BOB at home. Once Im home, if the situation warrants it, most of my GHB supplies can be added to my BOB, or just thrown in the vehicle. Also servers as extra capacity for that friend or family member that happens to find you on the way out. Some may even have a set up like the newer military packs, where you can tailor the supplies by adding packs onto a main one. I dont have that, but I like the idea. My BOB is an external frame pack, and does provide room to add a sleeping bag, pad, tent and winter coat to the outside. I keep plenty of straps for such purposes, as well as paracord. Cheap lite duty carabiners also serve such multi purpose roles. Maybe scalability shoould be a bonus category.

Anywho, heres my scores for GHB and BOB.
GHB= 69.9
Port- 11 Hydro- 12.8 Feed- 4.8 Shelt- 16.8 Fire- 5.5 Combat- 4.5 Dura- 5 FAid- 2.5 Comm- 1 Nav- 6

BOB= 83.6
Port- 5 Hydro- 16 Feed- 9.6 Shelter- 21 Fire-11 Combat- 4.5 Dura- 5 FAid- 2.5
Comm- 1 Nav- 8

stompk
03-15-2010, 05:24
First off, this is long so get a beer, a pen, and your calulator.

Brilliant idea WilyCoyote !

I'm very excited to do this with my gear and I think it's a very useful technique. thanks!

Unistat
06-17-2010, 11:01
58 :(

Need to work on my Commo, Nav, and Hydro. I might need a bigger bag.

WilyCoyote
06-22-2010, 20:48
I said it a million times already, but to recap, a low score doesn't mean you suck, it just means you carry less than someone else or may have a different kit than someone else.

Unistat
09-23-2010, 10:07
Well after re-working my bags twice, I came up with something I think is practical.

Shelter 10
Hydro 7
Food 7
Fire 9
Portable 5
Nav 9
Durable 7
Defense 10
First Aid 9
Comms 8
Total 81.5

Made one for my wife too. It got a little more complicated whe we had the baby and I had to include her stuff as well.

Shin71
09-23-2010, 11:33
I scored a 65.3 but I am wondering why the low score for the portability...

Unistat
09-23-2010, 14:39
The bigger the pack the lower the score.

TnShooter83
10-27-2010, 03:29

So my fate is equal to a flip of a coin?
That doesn't sound to good to me....

Unistat
10-27-2010, 09:42

So my fate is equal to a flip of a coin?
That doesn't sound to good to me....

No it probably means that you are lacking in one or two areas. Maybe non-critical, like "quality", not super important because cheap stuff works for a while. Or it might mean that you do not have a lot of redundancy. 2 is 1, 1 is 0 and all that.

One real big problem is water. It is heavy and bulky and absolutely necessary.

magpie maniac
01-13-2011, 13:08
I thought I'd finally sit down and see how my GHB compares on this fancy scale here. :)

Portability 7
Hydro 10
Feedability 4
Sheltering 5
Fire Making 6
Combat 8
Durability 10
First Aid 6
Communication 9
Navigation 5
Weighted score of my GHB: 66.4

Since this is a forty-eight to seventy-two hour GHB, I'm not toting around a full tent and a lot of food. I could add some items and turn my GHB into a full BOB, but at seventeen pounds already, I don't want to go any larger. Just throwing my GPS unit into the bag would increase my score to 71.4, but then if I get into that frame of mind, it's thirty pounds before you know it and I'm having to buy a larger bag.

I would like to see the correlation between bag weight and score. On this scale, I could score a 90 with a bag that could only be moved with a forklift. :supergrin: Because of that loophole, the portability category should be weighted a lot higher.

magpie maniac
01-14-2011, 07:25
After some thought, I was able to squeeze in five more points for a weighted total of 71.4. Not bad at all for a GHB that weighs less than eighteen pounds.

Do I get bonus points for adding a small monocular? ;)

Flashbang1063
03-02-2011, 10:05
I rated a 70.7 with a pack that weighs under 30lbs

The bag and contents are listed in this review thread I did http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1316001

No comms....yet
No navigation.....city dweller, I know my way around very well
Shelter....just a blanket....plenty of structures for shelter

Still going to upgrade the deficiencies though. Thanks for the calculator!

AK_Stick
06-03-2011, 06:50
64.1 without including shelter, since my location (urban Iraq) requires none.

85.1 corrected*

Could score better in

Hydro (another small bladder or filter)
Food (cliff bars and emergency rats really do suck taste wise)
Fire (should add a zippo or lighter to what I've got)

But other than that, I've got pretty much everything else covered in spades.

Chewy Montenegro
06-25-2011, 23:45
Lots of discussion about survival and how to do it, but what is everybody here preparing for? I recently started a survival bag of my own. Its a work is progress, and I just thought it would be a good idea to have something in case a horrible tornado blew through or a sleeper cell of Hajis woke up down the street.

Warp
06-25-2011, 23:55
Lots of discussion about survival and how to do it, but what is everybody here preparing for? I recently started a survival bag of my own. Its a work is progress, and I just thought it would be a good idea to have something in case a horrible tornado blew through or a sleeper cell of Hajis woke up down the street.

All kinds of things. Run of the mill outages (power, water, phone, etc), vehicle breakdowns, storms/tornados, hurricanes, earthquakes, other natural disasters, man made disasters like bombs, hazmat spills, chem/bio releases or attacks, civil unrest, economic distress, war, pandemic, etc.

My current GHB, located in our vehicle, scores a 51 taken straight up. But then in Metro Atlanta in the summer shelter isn't very important, that was a big hit. A logical correction puts it a little over 60

Scratchthejeepguy
07-02-2011, 13:29
Is Ver 2.2 the latest and greatest? I don't have that neat little chart. By the way, I'm at 58.6. Need to work on it....

Edit: oops, found the neat little chart...

emt1581
07-02-2011, 14:01
Wow how did I miss this thread?!?!

I have to work on my bag for a few weeks first but I'll be back and give my score once I've finished.

-Emt1581

Bolster
07-25-2011, 11:44
I liked this one thread so well I signed up at GT just to discuss it.

I like what the OP is doing here, especially how he put size in tension against amount. That’s brilliant. In the real world there’s always these tradeoffs. Your higher score for carrying everything plus the kitchen sink is lowered when you consider the weight of the monster pack you’d have to carry, your reduced mobility, and the larger target you’d become for a robbery. Might be interesting to put amount in tension against lower weight (rather than size).

I’m evaluating a GHB for Los Angeles use, and its demands don’t really allow a high score, but that doesn’t matter, because the process made me think hard about my gear and I added/deleted several items. So this is an excellent exercise, whether or not you agree with the dimensions or weights. Hat’s off to WilyCoyote. I improved my GHB score from 45 to 54 after this exercise and found some bone-headed omissions on my part.

I’d lobby for two items to be added to the next version of the rating system. First, under defense, we need to think more broadly than knife/gun. My most important defensive items are likely going to be my N95 masks and a pair of goggles. Much more likely I’ll be struggling to see/breathe after a disaster, than stabbing & shooting people in SD. The second item that really needs to be added (under food, maybe?) is cash, in say $5 denominations. Should have $100-300 in small bills, and maybe not carried in your pack, which could be lost in a robbery. And a minor niggle, the flashlight probably better belongs under navigation (used to find your way in the dark) but I can see it being a comm device in a nasty situation.

-> Shelter: For Los Angeles GHB, doesn’t make much sense to go over 6.
-> Hydro: 6, A bucket full of 20 oz water bottles in the car, to be added to the pack as needed.
-> Food: 5, and difficult. The GHB, stored inside a cooler inside the car, can get to 120 degrees inside the cooler (!), so need either fast food rotation or truly sturdy food. As is, one modest meal in there. Hoping that’s one item you could still buy for a little while after the S hits the F, so carrying money as substitute. Otherwise, going hungry & drinking instead.
-> Fire: 6 but don’t expect there to be much need for it in Los Angeles. No Bic lighters due to high heat limitation of car storage (120 degrees is tops for a bic lighter, says so on the package).
-> Portability: A high score here is important to my situation, and best I can manage is 6. I could be walking across LA. Jansport pack with a modest profile, doesn’t look big or “tactical,” more like “library,” which is good.
Navigation: Thanks for the kick in the pants. I was only a 3, getting that up to a 6 over the next week by obtaining maps & marking routes. (What was I thinking???)
-> Durability: 7.
-> Defense: 4, and that’s all the farther I’m willing to go as a civvie in LA. Fixed blades must be worn on belt or can earn you jail time, so why would I attract that sort of negative attention to myself? This is another area where I consider a low number to be “tops” for my situation. Maybe I should add pepper spray?
-> First aid: 6 and am working to push this higher.
-> Comm: 5, carrying the popular little Sony 2AA radio, + high power 2AA LED light with strobe (200 lumen).

Total: 54.

Anyway, great exercise, makes you really think about your bag’s contents, and motivates you to achieve a higher score by adding a few items that are readily available now and will be rare & vital later. Thank you, Wily, and all the people who helped create this rating system. Great job!!! :bowdown:

WilyCoyote
10-11-2011, 17:01
Glad to see you were able to make some chages for the better. One thing I thought of for when conducting route planning is to check your local law enforcement's website for crime data. Many have maps showing hot spots of certain types of crime and or gang activity. Identifying these locations on your route map as NO GO zones could help mitigate run-ins with the non-friendlies.

I see your point about changing around the scoring system to add additional factors and I like your idea about the goggles and mask. In designing the rating system I found that there was a limited amount of %age for equipment and pack contents and that each subject matter needs to be assigned a significance so it can be compared to the others with respect to usefulness. Early on the decision was made to give the heaviest weight to those articles which have the biggest impact on survival in ALL survival situations, ie shelter, water, food. With a limited amount of remaining %age to assign to other equipment I was unable to add certain nice niche items that would be very useful in some situations, like masks, cash, passports, etc. To assign a weight to every niche item would wash out the significance of more important items for OVERALL survival.

That being said, the scale was created to get people to compare and think and add and subtract until they have a BOB/GHB that is ideal for their given situation and I'm glad it helped you out. Remember that the score, as I've said before, isn't a grade of your competence, but rather an identifyer of your style.

oscarturner
01-25-2012, 15:06
I don't have a GHB or BOB. I decided to score my hunting bag to see how close it gets me as a GHB.

Shelter 6 - Wool Blanket, rain poncho

Hydro 5 - 2 16 oz water bottles

Food 4 - peanut butter, power bars and jerky

Fire 6 - flint/mag stick, wood matches, and lighter

Portable 6 - High-school book bag type

Navigation 3 - It's a lanyard compass thank you very much.

Durable 3 - Torn and taped

Defense 6 - Gerber Multi tool, Buck 103 skinner, Ontario Air Force survival knife, Wyoming Bone/Camp saw.

First Aid 3 - Mine is actually a homemade hiker's kit with moleskin antiseptics and NSAIDs. I should get a negative score, because I require daily Rx and I don't have them in the bag.

Comms 1- I guess I get 1 for having a whistle.

Congratulations! Your score is: 47.5

I keep my hunting bag in my trunk at all times. It has a few items in it that may not be useful in an urban GHB or BOB; like scent blocker, doe scent, a safety harness and an orange cap, but it also has 40 feet of para-cord, duct tape, hand and foot warmers, 2 knife sharpeners, a mini-mag flashlight, a small lantern, an led headlamp, a mini fish tackle kit and a small jar of peanut butter.

Too much weight and overkill in some aspects (a lot of cutlery) and yet missing the very basics (like my meds!). It still seems like a good starting point. I actually need my hunting bag to be a GHB. There is so much crossover between a GHB and my hunting bag that seems like I'd end up moving things back and forth or buying duplicates that I can't afford. Maybe a better organized bag with better choices, a water filter and my meds could do double duty. I'll also never be able to keep a firearm in the bag since I work at a school and that is a no-no.

Devans0
02-15-2012, 00:12
I have a BOV monster diesel with truck camper that is self contained and boon dock ready. I put myself at 94% with 10's in most categories. Comm is only 4, I have to do something about that. Excellent and thought provoking thread. Having been through a natural disaster, tools are important. I am thinking heavier than most, with a lot more gear.

Bolster
02-21-2012, 17:38
Suggestion:

Defense Scale #4, change that from:
Tactical Folder (Benchmade, Kershaw, etc)
to:
Tactical Folder (Quality) or Pepper Spray

...controversial? perhaps, but spray works at a farther distance than knife, and probably has a better chance with multiple attackers than a knife...plus, this would allow you to get the "redundancy" multiplier if you carry both knife and pepper, and I think getting the redundancy multiplier is deserved, if you have both. It also solves a problem for certain city dwellers who would look badly under-weaponed if knife alone was used as the yardstick.

(current score: 58.6 and still working to break 60 while still contained in a daypack.)

auto-5
04-29-2012, 07:52
So after a 3 mile hike yesterday in a freaking downpour I am going to add a spare pair of sox to my BOB. I also added a roll of pre wrap and athletic tape. I think this is a pretty good idea if you know how to tape an ankle. It sure beats hiking with a twisted ankle if you can tape it on the trail.

My BOB is also my my trail bag sans gun. 65

Edit Still working on my bag and am up to a 73.4 I found some good topo maps of my area at a local camping store which bumped up my navigation and a stove I made from a tuna can and a travel sized mouth wash container full of rubbing alcohol.

NeverMore1701
04-29-2012, 10:54
I should rescore mine, as it's had quite a few changes.

I Shooter
04-29-2012, 15:48
Some one needs to explain to me what a get home bag is for? I mean how far do you people work from home or are you getting away from home? When I was working,( I am retired now) I was never more than 2 hours from home. The only thing I carried in the car was water, gun, shells, lunch box with some first aid stuff and tools. When I worked out of town I took a 22' travel trailer with us, (most of the time took the wife along). I had every thing in it. Guns, tools, reloading stuff. food for at least 3months , fishing stuff and more stuff than I can think about now. If some thing went wrong when we were away from home we had our home with us. So getting back home would have been the goal but it would not have been a must.

I have a pack that I use for hunting it is full of stuff that could be called survival stuff. Same could be said for our camping packs. Now days the only time we are away from home is when we go to town to get stuff or visit one of the kids. Then there is the road trips that take in our new trailer to see some of this great country. It is a 32' and has our hunting, fishing gear and more stuff in it than I care to think about moving. It took us two days to unload the 22' when we traded it in on the 32'. Now the 32' has all the stuff from the 22' plus other stuff we have added to make life better when we do a road trip.

If for some reason we had to bug out of our house in the country and had an hour notice we would take the trailer. If we only had half an hour we would put the dogs, camping and hunting stuff in the truck and take off. That is what we did when the last storm came through here. We put the dogs and camping gear in the truck and headed away from the storm. We didn't have to use any thing out of the packs because we were back home in four hours. The house was fine and so was the trailer. Thirty miles down the road, that town got blown away, I think it was 17 killed. Very bad.

We have food stocked, water purifiers, guns, reloading stuff, generator and stuff to repair about every thing we have(small repairs). Every year we put out a garden. All of this stuff is just part of living in the country. If you don't have it you will be in trouble sooner or later.

If you live in the city I can under stand a BOB if for no other reason than to just get out of the city. In a S.H.F. event in the big cities I will pray for all of you. You are going to need gods help to get by. Things in the city are bad enough in good times. I can't think of how bad it will be in really hard times. History tells us that if is going to be very bad. Good luck to all and have a great day.

Warp
04-29-2012, 17:42
Some one needs to explain to me what a get home bag is for? I mean how far do you people work from home or are you getting away from home? When I was working,( I am retired now) I was never more than 2 hours from home.

2 hours under what conditions?

If you had to walk...how many days?

If some thing went wrong when we were away from home we had our home with us.

Most people do not have that as a readily available and reasonable option.

If you live in the city I can under stand a BOB if for no other reason than to just get out of the city. In a S.H.F. event in the big cities I will pray for all of you. You are going to need gods help to get by. Things in the city are bad enough in good times. I can't think of how bad it will be in really hard times. History tells us that if is going to be very bad. Good luck to all and have a great day.

Agreed.

I Shooter
04-29-2012, 19:03
Warp. The two hours from home was by driving. If things had really went wrong on any given day it would have taken a day plus to get home. Yes I can see your point that I would have needed food and shelter if some thing had happened to close down all the roads. Not very likely in a city the size of Cincinnati. We had a bomb scare on I 275 some years back and they routed us around that road, that two hour drive went to four. If we lost one of the bridges around here it would cause traffic jams and longer rides but you would still be able to drive home. One night the wife and I were going out for dinner and we got in to a traffic jam that took us six hours to get out of. I wish at that time we had more than water to drink. So now I carry a bag with some MRE's, a couple of space blankets and two quarts of water. It all so has our GPS and some other stuff in it and it goes with us no matter what we drive. I look at it as a just in case bag. Any way I still don't carry a tent or a BOB with me. I guess I just prep for what I know can go wrong. I mean short of an all out war I can get home by car or truck. You have a great day.

Warp
04-29-2012, 19:07
Warp. The two hours from home was by driving. If things had really went wrong on any given day it would have taken a day plus to get home. Yes I can see your point that I would have needed food and shelter if some thing had happened to close down all the roads. Not very likely in a city the size of Cincinnati. We had a bomb scare on I 275 some years back and they routed us around that road, that two hour drive went to four. If we lost one of the bridges around here it would cause traffic jams and longer rides but you would still be able to drive home. One night the wife and I were going out for dinner and we got in to a traffic jam that took us six hours to get out of.

What if there was a major incident that disrupted normal services and activity, and your vehicle became inoperable or unusable?

FireForged
05-20-2012, 12:52
3day camp bag.. under 25lbs (SCORE 63)

list of contents (underway)

Warp
05-20-2012, 13:04
3day camp bag.. under 25lbs

How much water?

FireForged
05-20-2012, 15:11
How much water?

114oz of water in the bag and one 32oz on my hip. I typically use the water in my pack first then drink from the hip canteen last.

emt1581
05-20-2012, 15:52
114oz of water in the bag and one 32oz on my hip. I typically use the water in my pack first then drink from the hip canteen last.

So 16lbs. worth of water give or take....and the pack is STILL under 25lbs?? You packin a nerf gun and some tasty-cakes in there?

-Emt1581

FireForged
05-20-2012, 16:19
So 16lbs. worth of water give or take....and the pack is STILL under 25lbs?? You packin a nerf gun and some tasty-cakes in there?

-Emt1581

16 pounds?? hahah purhaps if you halfed your comment it would be about right "give or take".

1 gallon of water weighs 8 lbs, I have less than that in my pack.

114oz in pack = less than 8pounds

emt1581
05-20-2012, 16:28
16pounds? hahah If you half your comment it would be about right "give or take".

1 gallon of water weighs 8 lbs, I have less than that in my pack.

114oz in pack = less than 8pounds

Yeah, that's my bad I was sick the day they taught conversions in middle school... :faint:

-Emt1581

auto-5
07-14-2012, 14:06
16 fl/oz in a pint. Each pint weighs 1lb.

114/16=7.125lbs

GoBigOrange
05-17-2013, 16:11
I'm glad I finally found this thread. Thanks for creating this spreadsheet!

Shelter 3 21% 6.3
Hydro 10 16% 16.0
Food 8 12% 9.6
Fire 9 11% 9.9
Portable 4 10% 4.0
Navigation 5 10% 5.0
Durable 8 5% 4.0
Defense 8 5% 4.0
First Aid 5 5% 2.5
Comms 7 5% 3.5
Total 100% 64.8

Congratulations! Your score is: 64.8

SRT76
06-13-2013, 19:06
Tagging for future

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

tobias boon
06-13-2013, 20:38
I really hope that we don't have to rely on a backpack full of anything to survive. After reading Daltons's thread of what shape are you in? I'm not fat at all but I don't wanna carry my zombie bag anywhere. Good luck to everyone.

Geko45
06-13-2013, 20:42
I really hope that we don't have to rely on a backpack full of anything to survive. After reading Daltons's thread of what shape are you in? I'm not fat at all but I don't wanna carry my zombie bag anywhere. Good luck to everyone.

Being in shape is important, but you would be surprised what you can do at a moment's notice when you know you really have to.

tobias boon
06-13-2013, 21:03
Geko- ya for sure...humans would not have survived this long, without.

rambocat
01-31-2014, 07:41
Does everyone realize that most of these electronics, including your car and even small batteries will be rendered inoperable if they aren't shielded; and we are hit by an E.M.P. For smaller items you can get Faraday Bags at various places on the internet that work just fine.

Warp
01-31-2014, 07:53
Does everyone realize that most of these electronics, including your car and even small batteries will be rendered inoperable if they aren't shielded; and we are hit by an E.M.P. For smaller items you can get Faraday Bags at various places on the internet that work just fine.

Please do not ruin this thread with EMP stuff. There are plenty of other threads for that, or you can always start a thread for it specifically.

FireForged
01-31-2014, 10:00
basic disaster preparedness and the 72hr bug-out-bag being a mobile element [in general] is a universe apart from EMP, Zombie, End of the World, Mad Max stuff. Which I agree, is not what this thread is about.

rambocat
01-31-2014, 14:08
Please do not ruin this thread with EMP stuff. There are plenty of other threads for that, or you can always start a thread for it specifically.

I just did a search from all angles and couldn't find even one that promoted filling your B.O.B. with stuff that will be useless after a good ole HOT EMP.

Carrying all that useless stuff might help your cardio and endurance though.

FireForged
01-31-2014, 15:41
Basic survival does not have to include electronics and nobody here is claiming that it does. This is a thread about basic mobile survival needs with an average pack weight of 25-35 lbs and a crisis duration of 72hrs. That is the context [generally speaking]