Where to shoot around Lex? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Where to shoot around Lex?

amr40509
01-18-2008, 16:28
I just wanted to see if anyone knew of any good places to shoot around Lexington.

I generally drive out to the Clear Creek Range near Cave Run Lake, or go to Buds in Paris.

Any better options around here?

KYMike
01-18-2008, 18:47
Have you checked out BGSL? If you shoot often enough, it doesn't take many saved range fees at Bud's to pay for a year at BGSL. Plus, you can shoot rifles, shotguns, archery, and do a little fishing!

For straight pistol ranges, Bud's is usually it for me. There's ranges I like to hit when I'm near them, but none that are sufficiently better than Bud's to justify the drive regularly.

hayley
01-19-2008, 00:24
"Have you checked out BGSL?"

+1 http://www.bgslinc.com/index.php

Besides all the variety of shooting sports accommodated there, it's a flat-out beautiful bit of central Ky, partly enclosed by the Ky. river. They also are committed to responsible land/forest management and cultivate part of the land...very unique.

domzilla9
01-19-2008, 08:33
When we were looking to move the year before last I looked hard at jobs in Lexington for the sole purpose of being closer to BGSL. It's an absolutely wonderful placed staffed with and attended by great folks.

But remember you're only a little more than an hour away from Silver Creek Conservation Club in Sellersburg Indiana. Only three miles off the interstate! We shoot USPSA pistol twice a month, Steel Challenge and Trap once a month and are adding USPSA shotgun matches. Check it out --> http://www.silvercreekcc.org

Bren
01-19-2008, 14:37
My wife and I just got back from the monthly IDPA match at BGSL - they have IDPA and USPSA 12 months a year regardless of weather. I think the trap, skeet and sporting clays also shoot year around. Even today, at 24 degrees, we had 30 or more shooters with a bunch of new shooters. In the warmer months they also have high power rifle, cowboy action, bullseye pistol, black powder, archery and various other things on a monthly basis. there is some type of competition just about every Saturday and/or Sunday and 1,435 acres of club and ranges open to members the rest of the week. The annual cost is about what you'd pay for a good day at an indoor range ($125). Some of the old-timers still manage to complain about the high dues.

amr40509
01-20-2008, 06:52
Couple of quick questions on BGSL:

What is their guest policy? My wife, as well as a couple of work friends would probably go sometimes, but not too often.

Any of the ranges have lights? My office is actually out on that end of Lexington so it would be nice to go after work sometimes (aftrernoon in the summer, but winter gets dark so early)...

Thanks, I'll have to go check them out.

hayley
01-20-2008, 21:24
Your fee will cover your wife and children under 18yoa (who must be accompanied) Guest fees are $10.00 per. Of course it's difficult to compare with, say, Bud's where you both are charged by the half/hour in a dingy, poorly ventilated range stepping over unswept brass. At BGSL, it's the great outdoors, beautiful scenery, unlimited usage time, where you can take a picnic and talk to new acquaintances at leisure, and ad [nearly] infinitum.

Blaker
01-20-2008, 21:42
What are the rules on what you can shoot, and how you can shoot?

Paper targets only, or can I shoot whatever junk I want to bring and pick up?

Rapid fire, controlled fire, 1 shot per second?

Thanks.

Bren
01-21-2008, 05:43
Oh, well. Bad news about BGSL. It looks like either no more IDPA or a serious decline in match quality. Due to a club dispute, I just found out Lin Edwards, the long time pistol club president and IDPA & GSSF match director is no longer directing IDPA. He also did not run for reelection as pistol club president this year, I believe due to similar internal club politics and such, so I expect the pistol shooting events at BGSL to decline somewhat.

Bren
01-21-2008, 05:50
What are the rules on what you can shoot, and how you can shoot?

Paper targets only, or can I shoot whatever junk I want to bring and pick up?

Rapid fire, controlled fire, 1 shot per second?

Thanks.

Paper targets and steel in the pits, shooting cans and stuff isn't allowed. I think there is a "controlled fire" or something rule on the general purpose range, but you can shoot as fast as you can shoot in the pistol pits. The pits are where we shoot IDPA and USPSA-3 gun and where the shooters practice for those, so there are plenty of people shooting faster than most people can pull the trigger. There are target stand bases and stuff around in the pits and you can use the walls, barrels and other obstacles (just don't shoot them). They also usually have some used IDPA/USPSA targets and stakes laying around.

domzilla9
01-21-2008, 05:54
Oh, well. Bad news about BGSL. It looks like either no more IDPA or a serious decline in match quality. Due to a club dispute, I just found out Lin Edwards, the long time pistol club president and IDPA & GSSF match director is no longer directing IDPA. He also did not run for reelection as pistol club president this year, I believe due to similar internal club politics and such, so I expect the pistol shooting events at BGSL to decline somewhat.

Oh man that is dissapointing. I worked two matches for Lin, both GSSF. I really liked working with him. It's not the facilities that make a club - it's the people. I hope they get their differences worked out, if possible.

hayley
01-21-2008, 23:25
"I just found out Lin Edwards, the long time pistol club president and IDPA & GSSF match director is no longer directing IDPA."

That is really sad, and frustrating news. I got his batch email today.

Kentucky_Guy
01-27-2008, 09:28
I go to Buds indooor range/shop in Paris...

its about a 30 minute drive from where i live in Lexington....

i like it a lot....an hour costs $13, plus when you get done you can browse all the goodies they got in the store :)

Gary G23
01-29-2008, 06:30
I think BGSL will soon regret terminating Lin as match director.

Bren
01-29-2008, 17:52
I think BGSL will soon regret terminating Lin as match director.

I suspect you are right.