VA Disability Ratings and Tricare [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : VA Disability Ratings and Tricare

ArmyCop
01-20-2008, 08:04
I didn't have enough years in to retire, I have a 20 % disability rating, I'm going through a process (re-evaluated) that might raise my percentage.
What rating would allow me to get family coverage Tricare and how much might I expect to have to pay monthly?

Thanks in advance.

Cannibul
01-20-2008, 09:27
As I understand it the VA could rate you at 300% and you would no qualify for any kind of family coverage.

And yes I do know a person rated at 300%.

deadday
01-20-2008, 10:29
I didn't have enough years in to retire, I have a 20 % disability rating, I'm going through a process (re-evaluated) that might raise my percentage.
What rating would allow me to get family coverage Tricare and how much might I expect to have to pay monthly?

Thanks in advance.

I have been trying to find this answer as well, could you PM me if/when you find what you are looking for? I will do the same to you! What rating level allows the soldier to maintain Tricare (I'm guessing it's Tricare for Live coverage)? Remember, if you get 30% of higher, you will qualify for retraining (college, tech school, trade) as well as a pretty high level of DV preference when applying for Federal jobs..

dre

AF-Odin
01-20-2008, 15:28
The key issue is are you being discharged with a medical disability or are you being medically retired? IIRC, medical retirement would entitle you as well as your dependents to military ID cards and TRICARE coverage. If you are being discharged with a disability from the VA (regardless of the percentage), that is not medical retirement and normally would not entitle you or your family to TRICARE coverage. The TRICARE for Life coverage is for those retirees and family members over 65 who have Medicare. I think there is a fairly new program for Reservists to buy TRICARE coverage for a specified number of months if they have been mobilized. Best advice is to talk extensively with the TRICARE Service Center at your installation and with the VA folks (who may provide care for you, but not your family).

Good Luck

deadday
01-20-2008, 15:31
So unless the MEB/PEB recommends full medical retirement, I would receive not medical coverage after seperation? And medical retirement would require a disability rating of 100% right?

drew

torrejon224
01-20-2008, 17:07
At 100% any kids you have going to school under a VA program (Chap 35) are eligible for VA healtch care till age 23 or up to 26 is still in school and there are exceptions for surviving spouses of a 100% disabled vet who dies of service connected causes otherwise you need to be medically retired to get TRICARE for the family. When I was retired it was at 50% and then VA bumped me to 100% so no you don't have to be fully disabled to retire. It basically boils down to the "needs" of your service, whether your in a critical speciality and how much time in service you have. Used to be if you had more than 13 years in you would probably be retired but now with all the shortages, lack of a draft, etc, if your well enough to push paper they will probably keep you. I used to be an expert on this stuff and spent many years as a Disabled Veterans Rep but things have changed and not for the better I'm sad to say. Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions as I have the resource material and am always glad to help out a fellow vet!

deadday
01-20-2008, 21:22
I don't really have any specific questions at the moment, but I appreciate the offer... I'm still in shock at the fact that they are going to board me out...I was really hoping the MMRB would go my way, and they would just recommend a reclass....

drew

ChrisSA
01-20-2008, 22:40
If you have less than 20 years of service -
(A) If you are rated at 30% or above you will be medically retired. You will received all entitlments that anyone who retires from the military would receive (Tricare for your family, BX, ID card) etc. Your retirement pay will be either 2.5% of your base pay for each year of service OR whatever disability rating you receive. Whichever is higher.
(B) If you are rated less than 30% you will be medically separated. You will receive 2 months of base pay for every year you have served (there used to be a 12 year max on this but I think it just changed this month). You won't receive any type of disability from the VA until the separation pay from the DoD is offset (unless your injuries are combat related). Your separation pay will be taxed but after the VA rates you the IRS will refund the money it takes from you. You will receive VA care for yourself for all your injuries/illnesses incured while in the military. If you are rated very high (can't remember the %) they will cover all your health care. Your family will not get medical benefits.

The separation pay may look nice at first. However, the retirement check and full retiree benefits are way more valuable over a lifetime especially if you have a family.

I've been through the whole MEB/IPEB process once last year and most likely I'll be going again this year. The whole thing is really complex and you really need to educate yourself as quickly as possible about what you are entitled to. There are two excellent message boards that deal with the MEB/IPEB/FPEB and VA process. Go there as quickly as possible, explain you situation and they usually reply very quickly. One of the people who frequently posts is an Army JAG who is an expert on the whole process. He is very knowledgeable about the process in all the services. He was tired of hearing about people getting screwed over so he gives great advice. Most of the people who post on both boards have gone through the process or are currently going through the process.

http://www.pebforum.com/ - Excellent site actually created by the Army JAG
http://vets.yuku.com/bvetbenefits - another great site

Good luck,
Chris

Marine8541
01-21-2008, 00:33
There is some really bad information given in this thread. First, the Department of Veterans Affairs has nothing to do with Tricare at all. The program used by the VA for civie dependant's is called the Civilian Health and Medical Program of the Department of Veterans Affairs or CHAMVA for short. The only four ways to be on CHAMVA are lister here:
http://www.va.gov/hac/forbeneficiaries/champva/champva.asp

Only retirees or veterans with a 100% service-connected disability and an honorable discharge are eligible patrons of MWR and the post exchange on a military installation.
http://armymwr.biz/faq.htm

A 30% disability doesn't automaticlly mean retirement benies of any kind other than Comp and access to VA facilities.

VR&E (vocational rehab) college and job retraining eligibility starts at 10% not 30%.
http://www.vba.va.gov/bln/vre/vrs.htm

A ten point job preference starts at 0% service connected or purple heart reciepient. A Vet with a service connection of 30% or more may apply for non competitive job appointment but there is no garuntee that this will happen, while the 10 points are promised.
http://www.usajobs.gov/EI3.asp

Please see a local service rep for the straight dope and good luck.

Marine8541
01-21-2008, 00:39
As I understand it the VA could rate you at 300% and you would no qualify for any kind of family coverage.

And yes I do know a person rated at 300%.

Your info couldn't be more wrong.

http://www.vba.va.gov/

RONNIE J
01-21-2008, 08:30
Under the VA, if you are rated 100% permanent and total, the VA furnishes what is called CHAMPVA for all family members that qualify. As far as 300% rating, it is quite possible to have disabilities that added to up are that or more--but you are still rated 100% for pay and also may receive SMC for any serious, such as loss of or loss of use. Or SMC for A&A.

But in any case to get CHAMPVA you need to be P&T.

I think my ratings added together are a bit over 300% or close but I am still only rated 100% P&T with SMC for A&A

Now that I have muddied up the water
Have a great day

Best
Ron

Whazzup
01-21-2008, 08:35
There is some really bad information given in this thread. First, the Department of Veterans Affairs has nothing to do with Tricare at all. The program used by the VA for civie dependant's is called the Civilian Health and Medical Program of the Department of Veterans Affairs or CHAMVA for short. The only four ways to be on CHAMVA are lister here:

Only retirees or veterans with a 100% service-connected disability and an honorable discharge are eligible patrons of MWR and the post exchange on a military installation.

A 30% disability doesn't automaticlly mean retirement benies of any kind other than Comp and access to VA facilities.

VR&E (vocational rehab) college and job retraining eligibility starts at 10% not 30%.

A ten point job preference starts at 0% service connected or purple heart reciepient. A Vet with a service connection of 30% or more may apply for non competitive job appointment but there is no garuntee that this will happen, while the 10 points are promised.

Scoutsniper is correct...with one exception VA's medical benefit for dependents is CHAMPVA. Sounds like he has done a great deal of research on these issues. If you have questions on VA benefits PM me... I currently supervise one of the entitlement teams at a regional office. If I don't know the answer I will refer you to someone who does.

Semper Fi.

Aaron

Rugby
01-21-2008, 09:04
Scoutsniper is correct...with one exception VA's medical benefit for dependents is CHAMPVA. Sounds like he has done a great deal of research on these issues. If you have questions on VA benefits PM me... I currently supervise one of the entitlement teams at a regional office. If I don't know the answer I will refer you to someone who does.

Semper Fi.

Aaron

+1. Marine8541 gave the most factual information. And other service people say Marines are the dumb ones.

Semper Fi.

deadday
01-21-2008, 09:43
Does Permentanly and totally disabled=100% ? As in, a DV would only qualify for CHAMPVA if he was rated 100% diabled?

drew

ChrisSA
01-21-2008, 14:21

After re-reading the original few posts I think that what may have confused most of us is that the original poster seems to be asking about getting his VA rating increased. Then a couple of other posters talked about their benifits when being med boarded off of active duty which is a totally different thing. The info I posted was meant for somebody who was being med boarded off of active duty. If you are given a 30% or higher disability rating by the DoD then you are retired with full retirement benifits. If you are med separated by the DoD with less than 30% or if you just get out then you do not get full retirement benefits (unless you are rated 100% by the VA in which you get a few bennies). Getting your disabilities rated by the VA after you get out and getting rated by the DoD while you are in are totally different. And it is totally common to get low balled by the DoD for less than 30% and then get your true rating by the VA which is usually much higher.

deadday
01-21-2008, 14:59
Does the SA in your name stand for San Antonio or Single-Action? If it's San Antonio, wouldja be interested in a beer or 10 on me for a discussion about the PEB/MEB/VA/Bull****?

drew

Marine8541
01-21-2008, 15:04
After re-reading the original few posts I think that what may have confused most of us is that the original poster seems to be asking about getting his VA rating increased. Then a couple of other posters talked about their benifits when being med boarded off of active duty which is a totally different thing. The info I posted was meant for somebody who was being med boarded off of active duty. If you are given a 30% or higher disability rating by the DoD then you are retired with full retirement benifits. If you are med separated by the DoD with less than 30% or if you just get out then you do not get full retirement benefits (unless you are rated 100% by the VA in which you get a few bennies). Getting your disabilities rated by the VA after you get out and getting rated by the DoD while you are in are totally different. And it is totally common to get low balled by the DoD for less than 30% and then get your true rating by the VA which is usually much higher.

I wasn't confused at all. You do NOT recieve automatic retirement if you recieve a disability of 30% or more. A 30% rating from the med board is one of the determining factors that in the case of the Army the Secratry determins retirement staus. It is covered under Chapter 61, title 10 of the US code sec 1201.

(a) Retirement.— Upon a determination by the Secretary concerned that a member described in subsection (c) is unfit to perform the duties of the member’s office, grade, rank, or rating because of physical disability incurred while entitled to basic pay or while absent as described in subsection (c)(3), the Secretary may retire the member, with retired pay computed under section 1401 of this title, if the Secretary also makes the determinations with respect to the member and that disability specified in subsection (b).
(b) Required Determinations of Disability.— Determinations referred to in subsection (a) are determinations by the Secretary that—
(1) based upon accepted medical principles, the disability is of a permanent nature and stable;
(2) the disability is not the result of the member’s intentional misconduct or willful neglect, and was not incurred during a period of unauthorized absence; and
(3) either—
(A) the member has at least 20 years of service computed under section 1208 of this title; or
(B) the disability is at least 30 percent under the standard schedule of rating disabilities in use by the Department of Veterans Affairs at the time of the determination; and either—
(i) the member has at least eight years of service computed under section 1208 of this title;
(ii) the disability is the proximate result of performing active duty;
(iii) the disability was incurred in line of duty in time of war or national emergency; or
(iv) the disability was incurred in line of duty after September 14, 1978.

Not all 30% automaticlly get retirment status. Another factor must be met along with the 30% rate. IT IS NOT AUTOMATIC. If a service member doesn't meet one of the 4 criteria along with the 30% then it doesn't happen.
http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/10/usc_sup_01_10_10_A_20_II_30_61.html

Guys PLEASE if you have questions about Med boards please see base legal and exersise your rights to a full and fair hearing and they will exsplain your rights to you. If your at a Military hospital please see your patient advocate for the correct help. If you're already out please see an accredited service officer for the correct help.

Marine8541
01-21-2008, 15:08
Does Permentanly and totally disabled=100% ? As in, a DV would only qualify for CHAMPVA if he was rated 100% diabled?

drew

No. You can be rated at 100% and not have a total and permament designation. You must be 100% T and P for Champva bennies.

ChrisSA
01-21-2008, 17:16
I wasn't confused at all. You do NOT recieve automatic retirement if you recieve a disability of 30% or more. A 30% rating from the med board is one of the determining factors that in the case of the Army the Secratry determins retirement staus. It is covered under Chapter 61, title 10 of the US code sec 1201.

(a) Retirement.ó Upon a determination by the Secretary concerned that a member described in subsection (c) is unfit to perform the duties of the memberís office, grade, rank, or rating because of physical disability incurred while entitled to basic pay or while absent as described in subsection (c)(3), the Secretary may retire the member, with retired pay computed under section 1401 of this title, if the Secretary also makes the determinations with respect to the member and that disability specified in subsection (b).
(b) Required Determinations of Disability.ó Determinations referred to in subsection (a) are determinations by the Secretary tható
(1) based upon accepted medical principles, the disability is of a permanent nature and stable;
(2) the disability is not the result of the memberís intentional misconduct or willful neglect, and was not incurred during a period of unauthorized absence; and
(3) eitheró
(A) the member has at least 20 years of service computed under section 1208 of this title; or
(B) the disability is at least 30 percent under the standard schedule of rating disabilities in use by the Department of Veterans Affairs at the time of the determination; and eitheró
(i) the member has at least eight years of service computed under section 1208 of this title;
(ii) the disability is the proximate result of performing active duty;
(iii) the disability was incurred in line of duty in time of war or national emergency; or
(iv) the disability was incurred in line of duty after September 14, 1978.

Not all 30% automaticlly get retirment status. Another factor must be met along with the 30% rate. IT IS NOT AUTOMATIC. If a service member doesn't meet one of the 4 criteria along with the 30% then it doesn't happen.
http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/10/usc_sup_01_10_10_A_20_II_30_61.html

Guys PLEASE if you have questions about Med boards please see base legal and exersise your rights to a full and fair hearing and they will exsplain your rights to you. If your at a Military hospital please see your patient advocate for the correct help. If you're already out please see an accredited service officer for the correct help.

Ok, there are a few loop holes. However, unless you came in with the condition (existed prior to service) or have less than 8 years, 99% of the time you have a disability/illness that incurred while on active duty and you are rated at 30% or more disabled, you will be med retired.

Also, I've been through the MEB/IPEB process once and will be going again shortly. You may be at a base/post/camp where they have staff that actually are knowledgeable about the whole process however that is not what I found. My PEB liaison didn't give a rats @@@ about the people she was helping and gave me lots of incorrect advice. All she cared about was pushing people through the system and going home on time. The base legal office had no clue what they were talking about when I went to them for help. I highly recommend going to the 2 boards I mentioned before. There are many knowledgable people there. Besides the JAG I mentioned before, there are also people there who have influence with the Washington leadership.

I'm done talking about it. Good luck to you. Whether dealing with the VA process or the DoD processes, it is a stressfull situation.

Chris

Marine8541
01-21-2008, 18:32
Ok, there are a few loop holes. However, unless you came in with the condition (existed prior to service) or have less than 8 years, 99% of the time you have a disability/illness that incurred while on active duty and you are rated at 30% or more disabled, you will be med retired.

Chris

I've been party to over 300 med Boards. After my arse was shot up in Fallujah and my convolesent leave was up I was still recieving treatment at the Naval Hos in Pensacola and being a SNCO they put me to work on this stuff. I can promise you that a lot more than 1% are seperated without retirement. It's not a loop hole it's the law.

I'm not taliking or refering to you here Chris I just don't want to start another post so don't take this the wrong way it's meant in general and not directed to you. Almost every thing that service members hear about med boards are a bunch of BS. After dealing with those at the VA I can say the same is true there also. Most info is passed by wishful thinking or people who haven't recieved the rate that they feel is due to them. While the vast majority of this passed on intel is good intentioned it is usually incorrect. I can site chaper and verse the Titles that cover both Military med Boards and the VA but there is always a disagreement. People, please don't go by what some one tells you go see the correct people to get the straight scoop.

I can say this with confidence. What your buddy told you is most likely wrong. People always think they deserve a higher rating than they get. The boards usually get it right. If you feel that you were mistreated appeal your case. Good luck to all.

Whazzup
01-21-2008, 22:03

drew

For service connected conditions there are actually two types of permant and total ratings. (1): A veteran is 100% disable based on the Departments rating criterion. (2): A veteran is rated at less than 100% disable and is so disable that he or she can not work because of the service connected disability. The second case is called individual unemployability. In this case the veteran would rate most of the benefits as someone who is 100% disable (major difference in benefits would be state benefit as some states may/maynot treat veterans recieving individual unemploybility the same as they treat 100% SC veterans). For the federal side the major difference is that a veteran that is receiving individual unemployability has to certify annually that he has not worked.

Hope this helps.

Aaron

ChrisSA
01-23-2008, 00:08
I've been party to over 300 med Boards. After my arse was shot up in Fallujah and my convolesent leave was up I was still recieving treatment at the Naval Hos in Pensacola and being a SNCO they put me to work on this stuff. I can promise you that a lot more than 1% are seperated without retirement. It's not a loop hole it's the law.

I'm not taliking or refering to you here Chris I just don't want to start another post so don't take this the wrong way it's meant in general and not directed to you. Almost every thing that service members hear about med boards are a bunch of BS. After dealing with those at the VA I can say the same is true there also. Most info is passed by wishful thinking or people who haven't recieved the rate that they feel is due to them. While the vast majority of this passed on intel is good intentioned it is usually incorrect. I can site chaper and verse the Titles that cover both Military med Boards and the VA but there is always a disagreement. People, please don't go by what some one tells you go see the correct people to get the straight scoop.

I can say this with confidence. What your buddy told you is most likely wrong. People always think they deserve a higher rating than they get. The boards usually get it right. If you feel that you were mistreated appeal your case. Good luck to all.

To everyone here. This is the wrong place for a discussion about VA or DoD benefits. Most people here know glocks but most people here know nothing about DoD/VA benifets. Marine8541, I intend no disrepect. If you are as experiened as you say you are with the MEB/IPEB/FPEB/VA process, our vets and active duty need you. Please go to the two boards I mentioned.

http://www.pebforum.com/ - Excellent site actually created by the Army JAG
http://vets.yuku.com/bvetbenefits - another great site

There are many experts there dating back to the Vietnam War. If anyone posts false or slightly incorrect data it is quickly pointed out. The more experienced people that go there and help out the better. Our current war vets (current active duty) are being shortchanged. They are being wronged and most people are too clueless to be experienced to help out and get the benefits they deserve. There will quickly be a huge increase in the number of vets in prison and homeless if we don't help out.

If you think the DoD MEB/IPEB/FPEB process is acurately rating people you are way wrong. The VA usually correctly rates people however the DoD is out of control with shortchanging people.

Sincerely,
Chris

Marine8541
01-23-2008, 01:18
To everyone here. This is the wrong place for a discussion about VA or DoD benefits. Most people here know glocks but most people here know nothing about DoD/VA benifets. Marine8541, I intend no disrepect. If you are as experiened as you say you are with the MEB/IPEB/FPEB/VA process, our vets and active duty need you. Please go to the two boards I mentioned.
*SNIP*

If you think the DoD MEB/IPEB/FPEB process is acurately rating people you are way wrong. The VA usually correctly rates people however the DoD is out of control with shortchanging people.

Sincerely,
Chris

Thanks for the invite but no thanks. To be completely honest I've had more than a belly full both when I was AD and a year as a VFW liaison with our members with pending claims and the SO of the other organizations like DAV and PVA. I spent way too much of my time with people who I believed that they rated no less than 100% PT and nothing else would have satisfied them even though the law didn't come close to substaining that kind of finding.

There was nothing that I liked more than spending time and what effort I could to help combat injured Vets enter the process but I was exspoused to the truth of the system. Most claims don't involve our combat Vets but are PT injuries and training injuries. Not that those injuries don't require comp and pension but it just got harder and harder to hear someone with a torn ACL demanding 100% when I was on a ward that contained mostly upper torso GSW.

Frankly, I don't share the view that the DoD is way out of control and I don't believe as many Vet's are being short changed as some do. That's your view and I can accept that. Every thing that I have seen of both systems leads me to believe that it's fair. Does that mean that mistakes aren't made? Nope. Does that mean every one's happy? Nope. Remember I've seen the SRBs and Med Records of those going through the process. Most of the people that I saw that were unhappy had a wide gap between what they were claiming, what the med evidence showed, and the strories that they were telling others.

Although we don't see eye to eye on the process I do hope you get the rating that you're hoping for and deserve. Good luck to you.

JimmyMN
02-09-2008, 16:07
For straight and accurate answers, I suggest you visit the forum, "Veterans Benefits Network." You'll find some VA and Social Security experts there that can give you the information you need.

Here's the link: http://vets.yuku.com/bvetbenefits

mike316atl
03-03-2008, 01:33
I have been out for about 1 year now. I was discharged with a 0% rating but did receive severance pay. About 3 months ago I was awarded 30% by the VA. THATS WHAT YOU WANT! You are elgible for most benefits from the VA. Including Priority 2 for healthcare. They will take part of you monthly compensation until it is paid up. I watched a documentary called WAGING WAR ON THE VA by CNN. It talked about war vets recieving 10 and 20 percent. Watch it!

mike316atl
03-03-2008, 01:52
http://www.vawatchdog.org/07/nf07/nfNOV07/nf111907-1.htm

DesertMan
03-17-2008, 18:08
I currently have a 30% rating and after interviewing and testing I qualified for VocRehab College School program. Its not guaranteed as I soon found. Its for selected persons and the VA VocRehab has 5 different levels of help for disabled vets. Call your VA VocRehab rep and see where you stand. They say only 25% of vets call and the other 75% doesnt know all the benefits and entitlements they may get. But remember its not guaranteed you'll qualify for anything. It took me since 2000 to get a 30% rating so just be patient and keep on the VA cause paperwork does get lost quick. Send copies and keep extra copies on you.