Question for Missouri turkey hunters... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Question for Missouri turkey hunters...

kshutt
05-23-2002, 08:16
I would love to hear from some of you guys that hunt turkeys in Missouri. Relative to the size of your state, it would appear from the population figures that you have to run them away from your driveways to back out your cars! You guys have about four times the turkey population that we have in Oklahoma.

So....just how good is the turkey hunting in Missouri?

Thanks!:cool:

Verybigstick
05-23-2002, 10:37
kshutt

The turkeys are big and plentiful here in MO. The best place to find then is on farm land (corn fields the best in my opinion) surrounded by a good stand of deciduous trees. I use a rather unusual and hard on the back technique. I watch he field to see where the gobblers strut for a day or two. I then dig a shallow trench about 30-40 yards out from the tree line in the strutting area and get out before sun up and wait. The gobblers usually come out of the woods to strut about an hour to ½ hour before sun up. All you have to do is give a call or two when they get past you and they will come back to check out the noise. Be very careful with movement because they will see very well in the open field and fly off to the trees. Dark clothes seem to work best to blend into the soil. Best of luck to you. I would give you a tour of my favorite haunts but I hope to be out of this anti-firearms communist state before the next turkey season.
Check out the MDC’s information’ it’ll get you all fired up to come up here.

http://www.conservation.state.mo.us/cgi-bin/news/news_search.cgi?item=1021658954,20406,

Take care and best of luck.

Verybigstick

05-25-2002, 12:28
come on up this fall, bring your atv,
so many turkeys and deer on our 300 acres we usnally see a couple of each just pulling up the drive, i kid you not.

kentley
06-04-2002, 10:57
That's one of the things I miss about Missouri, a spring AND a fall Turkey season. I've seen them come out of the woods like a heard of cattle, straight at my blind. :cool:

Kcolg
06-08-2002, 05:41
I get my two every season for the last four or five years. And usually within two hours of the time I hit the woods.

I hunt on 1200 acres and all I see are turkey and deer. Love the deer, but the turkey are starting to get annoying because of their great eye sight and warning everything else in the woods that I am there. However it is neat to see herds of turkey, 30 to 40 in a heard of hens and jakes is common were I hunt. Toms are usually found in pairs but every now and then I find groups of 5-8.