GSSF shooting [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : GSSF shooting

405dave
01-21-2008, 10:50
I live in Killen, Al. and would like to shoot a GSSF match. Have any on this sub forum done this? I was wondering how many matches were within reasonable (4-5 hours) driving time. Any info wanted.

Joe D
01-27-2008, 06:44
They shoot a GSSF match in Atlanta. Too boring for me.

BamaTrooper
02-23-2008, 21:30
I hate hearing the too boring for me argument paraded out every time GSSF gets mentioned. If you aren't consistently WINNING, then it should be interesting. It is a form of competition that involves multiple targets in short time frames. Have you shot one?

405Dave, the new Knoxville match is is about 4-5 hours from you.
Conyers, GA is about 5 hours, Columbus, GA is less than 5, Canton, GA is 4.5 hours, Lexington is a little over 5 hours. You can make a few of them if you want.

Joe D
02-24-2008, 07:12
I shot one years ago in Atlanta. If I wanted to just stand and shoot I would shoot Bulleye again. Sorry if you are insulted. You will get over it. Just not my style of shooting.

BamaTrooper
02-24-2008, 12:05
I shot one years ago in Atlanta. If I wanted to just stand and shoot I would shoot Bulleye again. Sorry if you are insulted. You will get over it. Just not my style of shooting.

Not insulted; why would I be? I didn't invent the shooting sports or did I found a discipline. Neither do I own stock in or take proprietary rights to the GSSF or its courses of fire. I just wondered how you did and what was boring for you, that is all. My question was meant to get information from you so that I can use it in the future. I was trying to find out what "your style of shooting" was.
I am a firearms trainer and I like to find out what people like to do in training.
Rapid fire at multiple targets is a common training style. Slow fire bullseye is not somethig I use a lot. On the other hand, we don't use shooting boxes, major/minor power factors or fault lines. We also don't have qualifiers to put you in a category so you shoot like against like. If one guy comes in with a 9mm and the other is using a single stack 45, the 45 may have the power, he just doesn't have the capacity. Somewhere, somehow, there will be trade offs, just like the real world.
Since the original poster asked about GSSF and your answer was one that could be considered negative towards the GSSF matches, I just thought I would provide him with another point of view. I wasn't denigrating you or your chosen style and did not respond to get a rise out of you, insult your chosen sport, or make you angry.

Joe D
02-25-2008, 14:39
I guess I should not be too critical of someone else's shooting sport. To each his own. I have been pretty critical of the whole LEO training/qualification process. I worked with 3 departments in the Atlanta area. The common thread was "We can't make the qualification too hard or we would not have any guys on the streets". Of all the LE guys I worked with there were only two that I would trust to back me up. Both shot IDPA matches.
I never charged any of the guys I worked with. Guess it was my way of saying thanks. I just wish they could shoot better.

BamaTrooper
02-25-2008, 14:47
1.I guess I should not be too critical of someone else's shooting sport. ...2.there were only two that I would trust to back me up.... I just wish they could shoot better.

1. You hit it there. It is a sport, with rules. I think we both agree that when the SHTF the rules are the first thing to go.
2. I have developed some of the same opinions of people that I work(ed) with. Some I don't want backing me because the always get unnecessary crap started, some because the were skittish, some because they didn't know what the hell they were doing, and some because they can't/couldn't shoot.
3. I work with anyone that WANTS to get better. If I help you this year and you wait until next qualification time to come ask for help, you are pretty much on your own.

Training is training and sport is sport and hardly due the two meet. I practice speed reloads and failure drills non standard position draws. I have yet to see a stage in a competition where you have to do 40 mag changes or 125 draws.

Our opinions are not far apart, we are just looking from different angles.

Joe D
02-25-2008, 19:11
Two weeks before qualifications my phone would ring off the hook. My usual comment was "If you have not been practicing your skills before now don't waste my time and yours".