AZ CCW Training Suggestions? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : AZ CCW Training Suggestions?

wyoguy
01-21-2008, 10:35
Hello Everyone:

It looks like I will have to change my user name from "wyoguy" to "azguy" or something - I'll be moving to Phoenix in early February.

I currently have my Wyoming permit and, thankfully, I won't actually be "moving" right away, I will just be traveling to Phoenix for work until our home here in Wyoming sells. So, it looks like I can carry on my Wyoming permit until I become an AZ resident.

In the meantime, I'd like to get my AZ permit squared away, so I don't have a lapse once I am a resident. I'm looking for suggestions on training courses/providers in the West Valley area.

I've been carrying for about 10 years now and I keep my skills sharp and stay current on legal issues, etc. So, an inexpensive course or provider would work for me. However, I am willing to pay a bit more if there is a real benefit, so I am open to suggestions.

Thanks!

Sam Spade
01-21-2008, 11:19
The AZ CCW lesson plan, test and firearms familiarity materials are all mandated by the state. Outside of price, not a whole lot of difference between 95% of the courses out there. Ther'll be differences in setting and personalities, but that can be hard to quantify. You'll find very few people who have experience with more than one provider, so comparing reviews is hard.

If you're looking for the upper 1% of courses, go to www.gunsite.com and look at their CCW offering.

(The other 4% of courses are taught by mall-ninja dweebs. You'll still get the CCW, but it'll hurt. If you go somewhere with a storefront, you'll eliminate a lot of that.)

Long-winded, I know.

OXCOPS
01-22-2008, 08:11
I just took my class this past weekend in Flagstaff. If you are willing to drive that far, I would highly recommend Citadel Firearms Training. The instructor is a retired Marine Major with combat experience. He is now an assistant principal at a local high school. Very nice guy. He makes the 8 hours in the classroom fun. I do know he has another class on February 16th, and it's $100.

After the classroom portion, you take a 30-question test, which is pretty much common sense and some state law. Following that, you go to the range for some trigger time. We shot some training strings from 3, 5 and 10 yard lines. The state mandated qualification course of fire is 5 rounds, slow fire, from the 5 yard line, then the same thing from the 10 yard line. You shoot an IDPA cardboard target. ANY hit on the target counts. You have to get 70%.

El_Ron1
01-22-2008, 11:37
Glendale Community College has classes on regular basis. They were being conducted by instructors from the Adm. of Justice curriculum. Other firearms classes as well for a reasonable fee. Check into it:

http://webapp.gccaz.edu/schedule/sched2.cfm?stuff=http://schedule.gc.maricopa.edu/schedule.cgi?AJS&20082&SITE=MAIN

http://www.dist.maricopa.edu/cgi-bin/cpr.pl?trm=20082&crs=ajs151aa&inst=99

fofinger
01-22-2008, 16:20
http://derbyguns.net/index.php?pr=Home_Page

MooseJaw
01-22-2008, 19:24
There's a fella named Tim Forshey that teaches the ccw class at the scottsdale gun club.

He's an attorney, and an avid (and damn good) shooter.

I've taken several classes by Tim, and we've attended another Training Class together.

Can't say enough about him.

ChukGlk19
01-31-2008, 22:53
Glendale Community College has a fantastic class. I took my CCW with a gentleman by the name of Jerry McCown. He was a fantastic instructor and has been involved in LE for almost 40 years. If you need to get in touch with him use the links the gentleman posted above. He also works with/at gunsite. Gunsite is the best and very expensive for classes after the CCW. Either one would be fine. If you still have questions get in touch with Jerry seriously the guy knows his stuff and would gladly give you the very best information.

ClydeG19
02-05-2008, 17:13
Get a non-res Florida permit. It covers 28 states (AZ included) and is good for 5 years.

Krueshoot
02-06-2008, 11:45
Get a non-res Florida permit. It covers 28 states (AZ included) and is good for 5 years.

Could be wrong but believe if you are an Arizona resident you must carry on an Arizona CCW permit. Check with DPS before carrying on an out of state permit. being an Arizona res.

slicers63
02-06-2008, 22:45
I will second or third Glendale Community College. I have taken several firearms courses there and will recommend it. Excellent training for the money.

alky350
02-06-2008, 23:49
try

www.blackwolfccw.com (http://www.blackwolfccw.com)

Class cost is $40.00.

John has a class this saturday.

Sam Spade
02-06-2008, 23:58
Could be wrong but believe if you are an Arizona resident you must carry on an Arizona CCW permit. Check with DPS before carrying on an out of state permit. being an Arizona res.

Nope, you're right.

AZ honors non-resident permits for visitors, or those just settling in, but once you establish AZ residency, you need to carry on an AZ permit, drive on an AZ license, and so on.

Lone_Wolfe
02-15-2008, 22:07
Can anyone recommend a CCW class in either Sierra Vista area or Tucson?

Thanky

TheVeryIdea
04-07-2008, 17:26
The recommendations for GCC are strong enough for me to enroll and take its CCW class. Someone in this thread sang the praises of Jerry McCown, but he's not scheduled to teach a CCW class at GCC until August, and I want to get mine in the next session. Is there any word on Hauserman, who also teaches at GCC?

Sam Spade
04-07-2008, 17:51
The recommendations for GCC are strong enough for me to enroll and take its CCW class. Someone in this thread sang the praises of Jerry McCown, but he's not scheduled to teach a CCW class at GCC until August, and I want to get mine in the next session. Is there any word on Hauserman, who also teaches at GCC?

Lori was an adjunct instructor at Gunsite and for H&K International (IIRC). She taught a couple of AZ POST classes I attended. Very by-the-book, understands both black letter law and the politics that go into Maricopa County prosecutions.

TheVeryIdea
04-07-2008, 18:12
Lori was an adjunct instructor at Gunsite and for H&K International (IIRC). She taught a couple of AZ POST classes I attended. Very by-the-book, understands both black letter law and the politics that go into Maricopa County prosecutions.

Thanks Sam. Also, I was in error in my previous post: I checked online and Jerry McCown is scheduled to teach the May 30-31 class.

Lone_Wolfe
04-07-2008, 18:38
I ended up going to BlackWolf CCW and can recommend them. Good class.

slicers63
04-09-2008, 22:47
Hauserman - I took a class from her and would recommend her. I have taken several firearm classes at GCC and also at Frontsite and Gunesite. The quality of the instructors and training at GCC is excellent and the price is right.

Klondike
04-14-2008, 18:29
I ended up going to BlackWolf CCW and can recommend them. Good class.

Good to hear you recommend them. I'll be taking their course this weekend.

I wasn't sure if my Alaska CCW would still work here since I'm an AK resident by paperwork, but I now live in Arizona. I'm in the AF stationed at Luke and I don't know how the rules work for military.

At least I can learn the AZ laws.:cop:

Lone_Wolfe
04-14-2008, 19:14
Good to hear you recommend them. I'll be taking their course this weekend.

I wasn't sure if my Alaska CCW would still work here since I'm an AK resident by paperwork, but I now live in Arizona. I'm in the AF stationed at Luke and I don't know how the rules work for military.

At least I can learn the AZ laws.:cop:

You're doing the smart thing by getting the AZ CCW. Also take yourself and 12 bucks down to the Drivers License Dept and get an AZ ID card with a local address. (on post is fine) Makes buying a gun here a snap. I did just that and bought yet another Smitty about 45 minutes ago. :supergrin:

I'm at Ft. Huachuca

John Hansen does the class in his living room to keep the cost down, so it's a very relaxed environment. But very informative!

Klondike
04-14-2008, 19:32
Do they offer a NICS exemption for Arizona CCW holders? My AK CCW exempts me from the NICS phone call. Not a big deal.

Thanks for the advice on the AZ State ID. I thought the CCW would have been enough to purchase firearms here. My wallet is just overloaded with ID cards!

Lone_Wolfe
04-14-2008, 19:56
Do they offer a NICS exemption for Arizona CCW holders? My AK CCW exempts me from the NICS phone call. Not a big deal.

Thanks for the advice on the AZ State ID. I thought the CCW would have been enough to purchase firearms here. My wallet is just overloaded with ID cards!

The keep it in the car and only take it into the gun store. Yes, the CCW does take away the phone call even though you still fill out a 4473. You can still buy with a Military ID and orders, but FFL's really like for you to get the ID. It saves a lot of headaches. I know this from experience. :2gun: I've bought entirely too many guns since I got to AZ.... :supergrin:

From one fellow military person to another, stay safe out there. :patriot:

Klondike
04-14-2008, 20:25
Thanks for all the info.

How can you say you've bought too many guns? That's blasphemy!:wow:

Also, thanks for your service. I return your salute.:patriot:

KeithS
04-14-2008, 20:29
I've gone with these folks for the last two renewals and was satisfied.... http://www.cactusmatch.com/

Texas T
06-28-2009, 18:33
Took the class today at Caswell's in Mesa. As good or better than any of the classes that I've taken in Texas over the past ten years. They also give you a 10% discount on any purchases that day.

I was very surprised at the range qualification... 5 shots at 15 ft and 5 shots at 30 ft? I guess the state really wants to make it easy for you to pass.

Sam Spade
06-29-2009, 23:00
I was very surprised at the range qualification... 5 shots at 15 ft and 5 shots at 30 ft? I guess the state really wants to make it easy for you to pass.
Think of it more as a live-fire safety drill than a marksmanship test.

Texas T
07-04-2009, 17:50
Think of it more as a live-fire safety drill than a marksmanship test. I suppose that makes more sense since they keep putting up targets until you can qualify.

Oh, and my instructor was Russ Kimball. Top notch.