Smoking Turkey Breast [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Smoking Turkey Breast

California Jack
01-21-2008, 17:25
Got a new smoker for xmas, a Masterbuilt. Having fun with it, so fae done 4 chickens, a brisket and I have a Boston Butt going as we speak. Next is a turkey breast. I plan to brine it and than smoke it over either hickory or mesquite.

So my question is about how long will I need to smoke a turkey breast? I know to use a meat thermometer, but in planning I need an estimate on how long it will cook.

Any thought on brining?

Thanks,
Jack

jason10mm
01-22-2008, 10:32
go to www.virtualweberbullet.com

Not the same smoker, but a TON of good advice and recipies.

I have the bullet and failed on my first smoke. It was a whole chicken and I couldn't get it hot enough. It was a cold and very windy day though, so I think I didn't have enough charcoal to compensate. The cooked parts tasted good though :)

Garweh
01-23-2008, 13:37
Assuming a 7 to 8 pound turkey breast, I smoke mine at 225-250 degrees F for approximately 4 hours. I have smoked many turkey breasts and have never brined any. IF properly smoked, the turkey should remain moist. I usually use a rub. I can see the advantage to brining for extra flavor, but it could clash with the smoke flavor.

Seafarer12
01-26-2008, 18:43
I always brine my turkey. It comes out great. I also use one of those thermometers on a cord that you leave in the meat and can set it to alarm at a temp. It comes out better than turkey breast in the deli case without all the extra crap. I usually brine with salt, sugar, garlic powder, and sage.

California Jack
01-27-2008, 20:12
It is done. Brined for 24 hours in salt, water, sugar and teragon. On the smoker for 4.5 hours. Smoked over mesquite.

For my first turkey breast attempt I was pleased!

Thanks for the input everyone.