Hunting Dog [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Hunting Dog

BWR55
05-23-2002, 21:26
"SINGLE BLACK FEMALE... Seeks male companionship, ethnicity unimportant.
I'm a very good looking girl who loves to play. I love long walks in the woods, riding in your pickup truck, hunting, camping, and fishing trips, cozy winter nights lying by the fire. Candlelight dinners will have me eating out of your hand. Rub me the right way and watch me respond. I'll be at the front door when you get home from work, wearing only what nature gave me.
Kiss me and I'm yours. Call xxx-xxxx and ask for Daisy."

Over 150 men found themselves talking to the Local Humane Society about an eight-week-old black labrador retriever.

TJC
05-23-2002, 22:28
As it should be. There is nothing in the world like a good dog, especially a good hunting dog.

shrpshtr
05-24-2002, 04:14
Originally posted by TJC
As it should be. There is nothing in the world like a good dog, especially a good hunting dog.

you couldn't be closer to the truth!

duncan
05-24-2002, 13:28
That is hilarious! Love it.

40Cal
05-24-2002, 14:25
Originally posted by TJC

I'll third that...
http://members.aol.com/chaosbs452/suttotrumanprowlin.jpg

rfb45colt
06-03-2002, 07:42
Here's my "single chocolate colored female"... as she watches a flock of geese approaching our blind just after sunrise. There's nothing in the world that compares to a good dog.

IPSC-1
06-04-2002, 01:49
rfb45colt,
What a great picture. Here's one of my 1 yr old female (tried to type b-i-t-c-h but the net nanny caught me. For the love of Pete! It isn't a bad word if your talking about a dog).
I can't wait for this fall! She was too young last season. She's doing doubles and blinds (when she wants.) When there are real feathers involved she is a different dog! Fierce isn't a strong enough word!
This pic was taken right after she finished enjoying some yogert....my GF spoils her rotten. They are inseperable.
If she and I part ways, the dog always follows her, however, if the dog is threatened or in dought she always looks to me. Very intuitive, as it should be.

http://personalpages.tds.net/~eflanagin/billieyogertweb.jpg

rfb45colt
06-04-2002, 02:53
ISPC-1,
I see that you too are owned by a Choc Lab. Isn't it great!! My Cody will be 3, on June 12th. She did OK her 1st year, way better than I expected. Her 1st opportunity for a water retrieve, she brought back a decoy, but she was only 4 months old, and never saw a real duck before. ;f Last year she was fantastic. But she'd much rather be in the woods hunting grouse than sitting in a blind... too much youthful enthusiasm.

She's my first Lab. After owning 7 English Setters over the past 30 years, I had to switch gears a little in training... but her natural intelligence made it easy. She's a very fast learner. For example, she was 100% housebroken at the age of six weeks and two days. We spoil her rotten. She eats whatever we eat for dinner (my wife always cooks for three). She sleeps on the foot of our bed, except when my grand-daughter sleeps here, then she sleeps with her. The two are best buddies, and inseperable.

IPSC-1
06-04-2002, 03:19
rfb45colt,
What caused you to stop owning Setters? They are wonderful dogs and excellent companions as I'm sure you know. Here are a few pics of my setters. I hope they don't take forever to load.
I'll attest to the natural intellegence of the labrador. Wonderful to have around as long as they are trained. It makes me sad to see labs with no manners. It gives the breed a bad name. Of course they are energetic and fun loving, therefore they need to be taught manners.
Especially young dogs who come from "hot" lines. Many owners don't have the time or know how to keep these dogs from becoming a PITA to have around. I'm going to be a proud man on my labs first water retrieve this fall.

http://personalpages.tds.net/~eflanagin/RoseBirdsweb.jpg

http://personalpages.tds.net/~eflanagin/Spookonpointweb.jpg

http://personalpages.tds.net/~eflanagin/danspook_chet.jpg

BWR55
06-04-2002, 09:10
You guys have some mighty fine lookin' dogs.

;f

IPSC-1
06-04-2002, 09:42
Thank you sir. Compliments are always appreciated...but next time just throw dog biscuits or cash, whichever is handy. ;)

kentley
06-04-2002, 12:54
Maxx-- Best squirl dog I ever had.

kentley
06-04-2002, 12:58
Try this again......

sooner pete
06-04-2002, 23:04
IPSC, great pics and lovely dogs.I know you must get a thrill while watching them work. :cool:

IPSC-1
06-04-2002, 23:18
Originally posted by sooner pete
IPSC, great pics and lovely dogs.I know you must get a thrill while watching them work. :cool:

Honestly, it makes my life worth living. Simple pleasures are sometimes the most important.

rfb45colt
06-05-2002, 04:55
"rfb45colt, What caused you to stop owning Setters? They are wonderful dogs and excellent companions as I'm sure you know."

Amen to that! Setters are not only the very best upland bird dog, but are a joy to have around the house. Excellant disposition, and super smart like Labs. My switch had mainly to do with the fact that I do a lot more duck hunting now than upland bird hunting. Setters, as great as they are, are not good water retreivers, and are too high strung to sit in a blind anyway. I know, I tried. Before moving from Hellinois to far northern Wisconsin 11 years ago, I hunted pheasant and quaill mostly, and did little duck hunting (due to lack of access to a good duck hunting spot). I had lots of access to farmland to hunt. Now, there's grouse here to hunt, but duck hunting is available all over around where I live. When my male Setter got cancer 3 years ago, he was 12 yrs old, we had to euthanize him. My female was 15 yrs old, and it was retirement time for her...so I got the Lab pup instead of another Setter. I don't have the time right now to deal with both, and the Lab does good on grouse. My female Setter just was put to sleep not long ago, a month shy of 18 yrs old, and she was by far the best dog I ever had the pleasure to hunt with. Great bloodlines. If you've been into Setters for any amount of time, and into FDSB's "American Field" monthly magazine, you'll recognize the name Mr Thor (her great-great granpappy) and her two famous great-grandpappys, Wiregrass Thor and Ghost Train. Also in her pedigree, were Grouse Ridge Will, I'm Oscar, Flaming Star, and a few other champions.
I miss that dog ;1, and always will. She was special. Looked just like that orange ticked one you've got there.

TJC
06-05-2002, 12:39
IPSC,

Nice looking setters. I wish I had a camera to post a picture of my Drahthaar. GREAT dog for all kinds of work. If there is a pheasant or other upland bird around, she will find it.
Unfortunately, I've been told she will not be with us much longer. Tumors and cancer are going to take her before next season. Her replacement or should I say substitute as I can not replace her will be here the end of this month. Reeba will be 7 weeks old when she gets here and will hopefully be pointing to some degree of success by November. Oh yea, she is another Drahthaar. ;f

fajizzle nizzle
06-06-2002, 16:25
Rita the Chessie-Lab cross. The pic's a couple of years old. She turned 4 last week.

http://www.hunting-pictures.com/members/StillyBum/rita.jpg