First attempt at brisket.......Big Green Egg [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : First attempt at brisket.......Big Green Egg

G21novice
01-23-2008, 11:05
This past weekend I made my first ever attempt at a brisket on the Big Green Egg. With all of the talk about how difficult brisket is to prepare, I was a little nervous, but I think it came out very well.

The meat. I started with an approximately 9 lb. flat. For this event I chose to forgo the packer cut with the point. I then prepared the rub for the brisket. My rub comprised of 1 part Dizzy Pig Dizzy Dust Coarse Grind, 1 part Dizzy Pig Cow Lick, and 2 parts brown sugar. The meat was coated pretty heavilly so as to provide a decent crust.

The fire. At about 10:00 Friday night I started the fire, let it get settle in at around 235. I used the platesetter in the BGE to raise the grid and allow for indirect cooking. At about 11:00 I put the meat on the grid, after applying a couple handfuls of soaked Jack Daniels smoking chips. I kept the dome temp at 235 until around noon on Saturday, at which point I jacked up the temp to around 265. At 3:00 the meat was pulled off of the grill at about 190 degrees, double wrapped in foil, then in towels and placed in a pre-warmed (with hot water) cooler and allowed to rest for a full hour.

The end result. I found the meat to be tender and flavorful. It sliced pretty nicely, possibly pulling a bit too easily. I am going to attempt to attach some pics of it.

Happy Grilling!:grill:

G21novice
01-23-2008, 11:39
Pre-cook

G21novice
01-23-2008, 11:43
Because BBQ'in at midnight in January is awesome!

G21novice
01-23-2008, 11:49
After the overnight cook, it is finally ready to come off of the Egg!

PDogSniper
01-23-2008, 16:35

Dang dude....! How tall are you....?:faint:

Oh, nice piece of meat....:wavey:

Seafarer12
01-26-2008, 18:40

Midnight isnt bad its that getting up at 3 am to load the firebox up sucks. I have stopped all the 15hr somking stuff. If I cant get it done in a day I don't mess with it.

G21novice
01-30-2008, 10:51
I wake up hourly to check on it. Granted, I could get away with checking less often, but I get paranoid. At the beginning of the month I did a 9.5lb pork butt that took 26 hours to get up to temp. I love the egg though. Even after 26 hours, I still had a little fuel left over, so I really don't have to stoke the box or anything.

Chopshopchopper
02-02-2008, 19:10
Looks great. I use my Webber all year long. Nothing like grilled food.